New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: Hexblade's Hex

1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

Default Hexblade's Hex

Okay, so it says that the hexblade's hex is a free action, Errata'd to only once a round. Does this mean that he can use it on another persons turn? And does this also mean that he can use it, cast a quickened spell, and then a normal spell?

2. - Top - End - #2

Default Re: Hexblade's Hex

1: Not unless stated. So no.

2: Yes.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Beelzebub1111 View Post
    Okay, so it says that the hexblade's hex is a free action, Errata'd to only once a round. Does this mean that he can use it on another persons turn?
    Ordinarily I'd say yes, but on a review of Free Actions in the SRD I read this:

Quote Originally Posted by SRD
    Speak

In general, speaking is a free action that you can perform even when it isn’t your turn.
    That qualifier is only applied to the "Speak" free action - indicating that other free actions have to be done on your turn.

EDIT: Ninja'd by Sinfire.

Quote Originally Posted by Beelzebub1111 View Post
    And does this also mean that he can use it, cast a quickened spell, and then a normal spell?
    Yes - in fact, he can use it while casting spells.
    Last edited by Optimystik; 2010-02-08 at 09:14 AM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Firbolg in the Playground

On the other hand, it was recommended by one of the creators that it be changed to a swift action, with no uses used up when it fails, and 1 + Cha mod uses. With that, they also mentioned an increase in saves (Fort or Will...forgot which is bad).
    Homebrew
    Please feel free to PM me any thoughts on my homebrew (or comment in the thread if it's not too old).

5. - Top - End - #5
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Temotei221 View Post
    On the other hand, it was recommended by one of the creators that it be changed to a swift action, with no uses used up when it fails, and 1 + Cha mod uses. With that, they also mentioned an increase in saves (Fort or Will...forgot which is bad).
    Fort is the bad one.

I don't see a problem with making it a Swift Action - it's not like they go around Quickening anything - but it could mess with some magic items, like Belt of Battle.