New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

Default Mimics Mimicing Mimicry

The sucubus thread got me thinking, what creative mimics have you seen/used? It doesn't need to be said that a chest is overdone, how about a mideval torture device? Nobody would expect an Iron Maiden with a corpse's arm coming out of it to be a hungry mimic.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Re: Mimics Mimicing Mimicry

I believe my favorite was the mimic disguised as a water closet. Our chaotic evil rogue went to use the facilities and ended up getting eaten ass first.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

House Mimics are classic.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    Have you seen what Bulbasaur is packing?

Long range razor sharp projectiles.
    Seeds with the speed and power of smg rounds.
    Midrange explosives.
    Death rays powered by the sun itself!
    Steam name: Dragero Add me! (Just click this link)

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

I used one disguised as a wishing well. When the cheap-ass rogue decided to wade in to collect all the copper that people had thrown in over the years-CHOMP!

GitP Blood Bowl Manager Cup Record
    Styx Rivermen, Feets Reloaded, and Selene's Seductive Strut
    Record: 42-17-13
    3-time Division Champ, Cup Champion

5. - Top - End - #5

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Beelzebub1111 View Post
    The sucubus thread got me thinking, what creative mimics have you seen/used? It doesn't need to be said that a chest is overdone, how about a mideval torture device? Nobody would expect an Iron Maiden with a corpse's arm coming out of it to be a hungry mimic.
    Actually, in a campaign i played recently, this exact such thing was my familiar, a war construct that ilustrated the good uses of share spells with alter self and visceral serpent. And sometimes, shield of fire, just to add a little touch.

Also, i guess i must mention this comic:
    http://rustyandco.com
    One of the main characthers is a mimic.

The best thing i saw an mimic do? An suit of fullplate. We really didnt expect it.

6. - Top - End - #6

A Mimic could pretend to be some type of food. Or a sleeping bag. Or a chamber pot. MWAHAHAHAHA

7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground

So far I have seen it used as a door, alchemy table, and my favorite, a dumbwaiter.

...and a halfling went in the dumbwaiter, it closed, and went downstairs with its food. XD

8. - Top - End - #8

A bag or sword mimic could have a lot of potential. In fact, I seem to remember there being a creature that looked like a sword in earlier editions. But then you also had the cloaker, living walls, golems shaped like columns, and those two monsters that looked like the floor and ceiling of a room. Good fun that.
    Melusine-esque Avatar made by the awesome Akrim.elf!
    Genderbender Week Yuan-ti Avatar by Bisected8.

Xe/xyr are my favourite pronouns, so feel free to refer to me as such instead of she/her.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Drager0 View Post
    House Mimics are classic.
    the bigger the better too... after spending some time in the dungeon / sky scraper / palace / castle the party finally realizes it is one giant mimic, and that they are inside!
    I do not have a superman complex; for I am God, not Superman!

the glass is always 100% full. Approximately 50% of its volume is full of dihydrogen monoxide and some dissolved solutes, and approx 50% a mixture of gasses known as "air" which contains roughly (by volume) 78.08% nitrogen, 20.95% oxygen, 0.93% argon, 0.038% carbon dioxide, and trace amounts of other gases.

10. - Top - End - #10

Quote Originally Posted by rayne_dragon View Post
    A bag or sword mimic could have a lot of potential. In fact, I seem to remember there being a creature that looked like a sword in earlier editions. But then you also had the cloaker, living walls, golems shaped like columns, and those two monsters that looked like the floor and ceiling of a room. Good fun that.
    Fun fact: nearly all of those are in 3E via the Tome of Horrors, save for the cloaker (for obvious reasons), living wall, and sword-creature whose name eludes me. The caryatid column, lurker above, and trapper are, however. But I digress...

Some creature uses for mimics are often as things your players expect as traps...just not as mimics. That hideous gargoyle statue, the odd-looking "pull me and you die" wall portion with levers, the suit of armor that happens to look strangely fresh and new, etc. It both throws the players off-guard and adds new challenges for them if they were expecting a gargoyle, trap to disable, golem, etc.
    Last edited by Rappy; 2010-02-08 at 11:46 PM.
    LGBTitP

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Oh my gosh! That comic (rustyandco) is so cute! It's adorable! I wanna put an intelligent rust monster in my campaign now.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

Pants Mimic. That is all.
    I no longer actively read the forums, and probably won't respond to any PMs. I'm fine with people using my homebrew in anything, including fan-compilations and wikis, as long as you credit me.

Homebrew by The Demented One.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

A pile of gold coins and weapons randomly placed in a room where a monster had camped.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsurion View Post
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]