Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 141
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    OldWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Gender
    Male

    Default Island Exploration-The Undiscovered Country

    It is the year 1154.
    (Copypasta from origional to follow)
    Most of the worlds history up to about 300AD remains the same. The Greek Empire has fallen into disarray, the Persians are gathering might after their huge defeat, the Romans span almost all of Europe. Except for one very large change.

    The Romans never conquered Britain, they could never cross the sea's. Any time they did, there was a fierce storm and ships were sank with all hands lost, as a result Ceaser died, and the Rubicon was never crossed, Rome is still to this day not an Empire, but democratically run. As such Christianity never seeped into it, and it still worships the original Pagan Pantheon.

    The German forests have fallen to Roman might, and the tribes have been pushed to the sea and destroyed. As such there is no large threat to Rome for now, but they want Britain. The council is sure that there are magical secrets there and as such have tasked a small force of warriors to slip inside. They feel that a small force may slip through un-noticed.

    (/copypasta)

    Additional notes on timeline:
    Various Roman attempt to cross the English Channel only run into horrible conditions, and entire armies are lost at sea. The English campaign is abandoned early, in favor of other prospects which appear more economically lucrative, such as Egypt, the middle east, Gaul (france), and their attention firmly on the nordic lands as one of the only threats to their expansion and rule. In the midst of their union with Greece, they decide against a monothesic system of worship, and prefer to maintain the Greco-Roman Pantheon, though with some small changes most likely. The pantheon is now a hybrid of the two, rather than having a largely Roman or Greek influence.
    Egypt, once conquered or brought to heel, maintains it's old Pantheon as a line of Kings which likely serves to reinforce the ideas or rule by divine right. They adopt the Roman pantheon as the new Gods, the old Gods are merely revered heroes and kings of old, but still a rich part of their culture and myth.

    The magical might of Britain continues to be a lure, however, and the more paranoid among the council see it as a possible threat, as well.

    Enter the party. Their goal is to scout out the British Isles, especially England proper. They are looking for suitable invasion sites, political instabilities, and any settlements which would likely be sympathetic to Roman rule/religion/incursion.

    Intelligence aquired from the Norse shows that any force of ships is destroyed by the storms, and any large warship is set upon by a fleet of corsairs.
    The only ships to survive unmolested are trade and fishing vessels.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------

    After requisitioning a fishing boat in the name of the Empire from a French port of call (not named Saint-Malo due to timeline change) you've been heading straight northward, ending up on the inside of the isles due to the current.

    Your captain, Adelais Botolph, has been paranoid and superstitious since the day you left port, especially uncomfortable around Aislinn, treating her with barely checked hostility.

    After three days at sail, the weather takes a sudden turn for the worse. The captain, cursing his luck, abandons the ship to swim for shore- claiming it makes him "Less of a target".

    (Anyone with the skill, feel free to make a Profession: Sailor check to try to keep the boat intact)

    The storm is fierce and wild, the heavens opening up with a torrent of rain that falls in sheets, making it difficult to tell weather the boat is above or below the waves.

    A rocky ledge can barely be seen by the brief flashes of lightning cutting through the darkness.

  2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    ElfRangerGuy

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Island Exploration-The Undiscovered Country

    Wulfstan climbs out of where ever he had himself holed up, takes on looks around and smiles.
    "This is my chance!", he proclaims, Stripping off his armor, and jumping over the side, hoping nobody heard or saw his through the storm.
    Spoiler
    Show
    (d20+7)[16] Once he is actually on shore he will return to the ship in hope of finding supplies, but meet the rest of the party instead, he'll watch to see what happens if he can.
    Are you hot?
    17 charisma.
    Wanna have sex?
    Totally!
    I seduce him! I mean her... YES I could totally seduce any homophobe with that roll!! -The Gamers: Dorkness Rising

  3. - Top - End - #3
    Halfling in the Playground
     
    RogueGuy

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Island Exploration-The Undiscovered Country

    Not hearing the splash, but seeing that there is one less body on the boat, Merovech calls out to Aislinn:
    Try your best to steer this thing! I'll try to get this sail under control!
    Spoiler
    Show

    (1d20+2)[12] aid another with pofession sailor
    The ever inquisitive
    --
    Spoiler
    Show

  4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    jojolagger's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    PST
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Island Exploration-The Undiscovered Country

    Knowing his life is in danger Iasal decides to help the man with the sail.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Aid another on profession (sailor) to boost not Merovech, as the IC text implies but Aislinn. [roll0]

  5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    jojolagger's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    PST
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Island Exploration-The Undiscovered Country

    Spoiler
    Show
    apparently preview wipes rolls. (1d20-1)[19]
    Spoiler
    Show
    sould be -2 two for 18, I still succeded on aid another
    Last edited by jojolagger; 2010-02-09 at 08:56 PM.

  6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Australia
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Island Exploration-The Undiscovered Country

    Edwin is noticeably green, clinging to the railings, occasionally hauling his head over the side to empty his stomach. He had known the sea would be rough, but there was no way he could have thought it would be like this. He watches bleary eyed as people start jumping overboard. He considers the cold embrace of the ocean would at least stop the churning in his stomach. He hears calls of the others trying to gain control of the ship, and decides he won't be going into the black until the ship does.

  7. - Top - End - #7
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    OldWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Island Exploration-The Undiscovered Country

    (Going to take that 19 as the actual check)

    Managing to cut the sails against the wind, Iasal gains tenuous control of the ship. Steeling yourselves against the lurching motions of the brakkish waters, you manage to weigh anchor in a small cove that seems to be taking less of a beating from the storm.

    (Going to need about 3 swim checks from the barb, DC15. If you fail, you're not dead but there's going to be some penalties.)

  8. - Top - End - #8
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    ElfRangerGuy

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Island Exploration-The Undiscovered Country

    Spoiler
    Show
    (d20+7)[17] (d20+7)[15] (d20+7)[14] wait i already made a save, so last one is out yeah, or did you mean 3 more?
    Last edited by Krennel; 2010-02-10 at 03:56 AM.
    Are you hot?
    17 charisma.
    Wanna have sex?
    Totally!
    I seduce him! I mean her... YES I could totally seduce any homophobe with that roll!! -The Gamers: Dorkness Rising

  9. - Top - End - #9
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    OldWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Island Exploration-The Undiscovered Country

    (Meant 3 more. Give me a fort save for that last one.)

  10. - Top - End - #10
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Freshmeat's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2006

    Default Re: Island Exploration-The Undiscovered Country

    Marius

    "We're safe for now!" Marius shouts to his companions, his clothes completely drenched. "Let's hope the weather calms down soon!"

    He walks over to the ship's railing, doing his best not to fall on the slippery deck, and looks out across the great sea. He'd seen Wulfstan and the captain jump overboard, and was wondering how they were doing. Though he regretted their decision, he couldn't blame them much. They probably panicked and thought that if they stayed any longer on the boat, they'd all drown.

    Spot: (1d20)[15]
    Spoiler
    Show

    Sigatar by Crimmy

  11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Planetar

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    England

    Default Re: Island Exploration-The Undiscovered Country

    Aislinn

    Fresh from 'helping' steer the boat to shore, the cleric takes a quick look around at their new location. "I do not think we were on the water long enough to reach Britain or its islands. Which means we will probably have to go ashore here, both to find out where we are and to get a replacement sail or a rowing crew." Just a guess on Aislinn's part, but she could remember how long it took her to make the crossing when she first came to Gaul, and could guess from that if they'd done it in reverse. "I will check below. If we are leaking, we will have to try and beach this thing, and quickly."

  12. - Top - End - #12
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    ElfRangerGuy

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Island Exploration-The Undiscovered Country

    Wulfstan gets close to shore swimming powerfully, but a bit of kelp wraps around his leg, as the seas roar higher he starts to run out of strength.
    With a roar he calls on his last ounces of energy to break free.
    (d20+3)[17]
    Are you hot?
    17 charisma.
    Wanna have sex?
    Totally!
    I seduce him! I mean her... YES I could totally seduce any homophobe with that roll!! -The Gamers: Dorkness Rising

  13. - Top - End - #13
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    jojolagger's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    PST
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Island Exploration-The Undiscovered Country

    Having somehow guided the ship to safety, Iasal begins to look for Adelais((1d20-6)[-4]spot). If someone with no training can bring in a ship safely, surely someone trained would have had an easy time. He thought."Where is Adelais, the cowardly dog! Hired to sail us to Britain but jumping ship at the first sign of trouble. Let's see if swimming for the shore truly make him less of a target." He exclaimed.

    Reason for Iasal's aggressive outburst.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Being the guy who likes to break stuff and being on a ship where you must not break stuff for several days leads to a bad mood. Being abandoned by a experienced seaman in situation an untrained person succeeds makes it worse. When the captain uses the word target when jumping ship he is just asking for it.

  14. - Top - End - #14
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Australia
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Island Exploration-The Undiscovered Country

    "Urgh, by the Gods, I hope we die on this blasted Isle, just so I don't have to suffer that again." Edwin begins packing up his things so he can head for shore.

  15. - Top - End - #15
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    ElfRangerGuy

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Island Exploration-The Undiscovered Country

    Donning his armor again, Wulfstan checks to make sure Reaper's dozen is still at his side, then looks for the ships final destination.
    Spot check: (d20+2)[16]
    Are you hot?
    17 charisma.
    Wanna have sex?
    Totally!
    I seduce him! I mean her... YES I could totally seduce any homophobe with that roll!! -The Gamers: Dorkness Rising

  16. - Top - End - #16
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    OldWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Island Exploration-The Undiscovered Country

    Wulfstan manages to make it to the island, perhaps not any more waterlogged than the rest of the crew, but definately more salty for the wear.
    (You still have your gear- you made the swim checks for it)
    Taking a look around, Wulfstan not only spots where the ship rests nearby, but also two men coming down what looks like a hidden trail to the beach.
    One of them seems to be saying something to the other (Listen check, DC 15)
    They're both wearing loose fitting wool clothing, rough quality and apperently home made. They carry daggers, but wear no armor.

    The boat is in fact leaking, but it's not serious. Some minor repairs would have it seaworthy again.

    Marius spotted Adelais, swimming for the shore

    Spoiler
    Show
    Swim - (1d20+3)[8](1d20+3)[22](1d20+3)[22](1d20+3)[12] DC 15, if he made all 4, you see him make landing. 2 or more failures and he went down. 1 failure and he's on the beach, but unconsious.


    Edwin's things are still in good order, no worse for the wear by being battered around a little in the storm.

  17. - Top - End - #17
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    ElfRangerGuy

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Island Exploration-The Undiscovered Country

    Wulfstan begins to feign boredom as he waits for the two coming down the path, but strains his ears to hear their conversation.
    Listen (d20+6)[24]
    Spoiler
    Show
    Wulfstan is attempting to look like someone who has gone to inspect the wreck already, and is waiting for the scouting party to report. Assuming he can speak to them.
    Are you hot?
    17 charisma.
    Wanna have sex?
    Totally!
    I seduce him! I mean her... YES I could totally seduce any homophobe with that roll!! -The Gamers: Dorkness Rising

  18. - Top - End - #18
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    OldWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Island Exploration-The Undiscovered Country

    first man, gesturing towards the beach: (and you on it)
    "Rhywun ydy fyw."
    Second man:
    "Hefyd anhardd at bod bysgota"

    (I checked your languages, just to be safe ;) )

  19. - Top - End - #19
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Australia
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Island Exploration-The Undiscovered Country

    [Assuming we are close enough to land to not need swim checks.]

    Edwin hurriedly grabs his things and leaps over the side, racing toward land. On the beach, he falls to his knees and praises the Gods that he is still alive.

  20. - Top - End - #20
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    jojolagger's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    PST
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Island Exploration-The Undiscovered Country

    Iasal
    Realizing he has no chance of finding the captain from on the boat, Iasal heads to the beach and begins to drag those he can to shore.

  21. - Top - End - #21
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Planetar

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    England

    Default Re: Island Exploration-The Undiscovered Country

    Aislinn
    When Odin's cleric returned to the top deck, she was bearing her posessions and a piece of timber liberated from belowdecks. The two were tied together, granting her equipment a level of bouyancy it would otherwise have lacked. Coming to the edge of the boat, she shouts across to the shore:

    Gallic: "Where have we holed up?"

    Best to be sure of such things before trying to swim ashore, right?

  22. - Top - End - #22
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    jojolagger's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    PST
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Island Exploration-The Undiscovered Country

    Iasal
    "Speak in Latin. I can't understand what you are saying." (spoken in Latin of course)He responded to the priest of Odin who was still on the ship.

  23. - Top - End - #23
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Freshmeat's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2006

    Default Re: Island Exploration-The Undiscovered Country

    Marius

    Frowning, Marius scans the horizon. Far in the distance, still in the midst of the storm, he sees Adelais go down among the waves, but realizes full well that there is little he can do for him but pray at this point. Of Wulfstan there was no sign.

    Marius turns to see how the rest of his companions are doing, and breathes a sigh of relief when he can account for all of them.
    "I think we'll be safer inland than here at sea," he says to no one in particular while removing his armor.
    Spoiler
    Show

    Sigatar by Crimmy

  24. - Top - End - #24
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    ElfRangerGuy

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Island Exploration-The Undiscovered Country

    Realiing he has no chance, Wulfstan yells at the top of his lungs "I will not be a slave again!" And growls at the approaching men, resting a hand on his sword. He yells bloody murder in what little Latin he know, which is mostly curses, and what he was told are curses.
    Spoiler
    Show
    (d20+3)[10] intimidate roll. What the rest of the crew will here in latin consists of "hooker, donkey, Yellow belly, fruit, cheese, and wife"
    Last edited by Krennel; 2010-02-12 at 09:47 PM. Reason: got the color wrong
    Are you hot?
    17 charisma.
    Wanna have sex?
    Totally!
    I seduce him! I mean her... YES I could totally seduce any homophobe with that roll!! -The Gamers: Dorkness Rising

  25. - Top - End - #25
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    jojolagger's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    PST
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Island Exploration-The Undiscovered Country

    "Brilliant, really? Perfect. Does anyone now what language this crazy guy speaks?"
    This isn't my job. Thought Iasal, Shouldn't that Edwin guy be organizing stuff? Still it is an interesting change from the norm.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Why is the CN guy the only one trying to sort things out?
    Last edited by jojolagger; 2010-02-12 at 11:15 PM.

  26. - Top - End - #26
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    OldWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Island Exploration-The Undiscovered Country

    Edwin- Give me a listen check to hear Wulfstan.

    Wulfstan- [roll=Hit Dice+Wis bonus]1d20+1[/roll]
    Spoiler
    Show
    DC is your Intimidate of 10. Success means roll init. Failure and they take off running the other way down the path. For simplicity's sake, I'll roll their init anyway. init 1 - (1d20+2)[12] init 2 - (1d20+2)[17]


    Marius- you notice the storm begin to abate, and on the horizon you see what may be a large ship going down. The islet who'se cove you're borrowing is not very big- you can see where it curves north on both the east and west slopes. You also notis Edwin on the rocky beach.

    Iasal- One of the crew is conducting a head count, looking a little pale. The rest keep popping belowdecks with tools.

    Aislinn- You're close enough to hear what Iasal's saying. How you respond is up to you.
    Land is close enough to swim to (Without a check) and the cove itself is protecting the beach from the worst of the storm (If it can be called a beach, really). Your decision to use flotsam to preserve your gear is a sound one if you have perishables.

    * post roll count doesn't match database

  27. - Top - End - #27
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    OldWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Island Exploration-The Undiscovered Country

    (rerolling VS intimidate because apperently I screwed up the tag)
    (1d20+1)[16]

  28. - Top - End - #28
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Australia
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Island Exploration-The Undiscovered Country

    listen - (1d20)[15]

    Edwin hears something nearby. Frabbing his longsword, he sets off to investigate.
    Last edited by Jokes; 2010-02-13 at 03:00 AM.

  29. - Top - End - #29
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    ElfRangerGuy

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Island Exploration-The Undiscovered Country

    Seeing the two continue their advance, Wulfstan readies Reapers dozen, but doesn't draw it yet.
    Spoiler
    Show
    (d20+2)[12] init check
    Are you hot?
    17 charisma.
    Wanna have sex?
    Totally!
    I seduce him! I mean her... YES I could totally seduce any homophobe with that roll!! -The Gamers: Dorkness Rising

  30. - Top - End - #30
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    OldWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Island Exploration-The Undiscovered Country

    Wulfstan- The first man draws his dagger, and seems to be waiting for something.
    (You have higher dex, so go before the second)

    Edwin- (Your longsword is liberally frabbed) You draw your sword, and as you head off to investigate notice Wulfstan looking aggressively up the ledge.

    (Roll init, you'll join in next round.)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •