New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

Default Would giving Lizardfolk Powerful Build make them too good a race?

I was thinking how subpar the race is, as it is able to hold it's breath fairly long and is pretty strong. Thats it. so I was wondering if they would be more viable and essentially, playable, if they had that ability. Seeing how other races gain spell like abilities and powers, one effect could make them worthwhile. However, it is a strong ability, and thus might be too much.
    Thoughts?
    "Now if you don't mind, I am somewhat preoccupied telling the laws of physics to shut up and sit down."

You know you're an epic wizard when you use a stilled silent extended quickened Gust of Wind spell to blow out the candles of your candle covered birthday cake.

Adventurers steal everything thats not nailed down. And what is. And the nails. After all, a bag full of nails can fetch a pretty penny. No doubt they'll weaponize it, too.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Would giving Lizardfolk Powerful Build make them too good a race?

Quote Originally Posted by Brendan View Post
    I was thinking how subpar the race is, as it is able to hold it's breath fairly long and is pretty strong. Thats it. so I was wondering if they would be more viable and essentially, playable, if they had that ability. Seeing how other races gain spell like abilities and powers, one effect could make them worthwhile. However, it is a strong ability, and thus might be too much.
    Thoughts?
    Every race with PB has LA, but hard to say as LF have RHD.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Chimera

Use the dragonblood variant in dragon magic, remove the NA and racial HD, and make them LA+0. With that feat which gives them a tail attack...

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

I don't generally see breath holding as being important very often. Maybe in a nautical game, or one with lots of swamps, or many poison gases. Powerful build is nice, but my gut says the two humanoid hitdice are punishment enough and no LA would be needed.

On a completely self-promoting note, I recently made a PrC for lizardfolk.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

Instead of giving it powerful build you could give it elite stats, give them max HP for the 1st HD and keep the same CR.

S: 17, D: 14, C: 15, I: 8, W: 12, CH: 8
    Attack: 2 claws at +4 d4+3
    AC: 19 (+5 NA, +2 Dex, +2 Large shield)
    Hp: 16

Much more dangerous and still only a CR 1.

Add a level of warrior for +.5 CR and you get. (now CR 1.5)
    S: 17, D: 14, C: 15, I: 8, W: 12, CH: 8
    Attack: 2 claws at +5 d4+3
    Hp: 22
    additional feat: Weapon Focus Claw

2 levels in warrior (now a CR 2 monster)
    S: 18, D: 14, C: 15, I: 8, W: 12, CH: 8
    Attack: 2 claws at +7 d4+4
    Hp: 28
    additional feat: Weapon Focus Claw
    Last edited by Splendor; 2010-02-10 at 12:23 AM.
    Always attack a man’s strengths, No one ever expects you to attack the strongest part of the fort. Up the middle that’s where the action is. And it’s the same in life. Don’t run away, attack them head on as their coming at you at full speed. Because that my friend is living.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Splendor View Post
    *misses the point*
    While good advice, that doesn't help with Lizardfolk as a PC race.

On topic, yeah, I really don't think that Powerful Build is gonna hurt anything if you added it to the default Lizardfolk and didn't change anything else.

All that I say applies only to myself. You author your own actions and choices. I cannot and will not be responsible for you, nor are you for me, regardless of situation or circumstance.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardmen (oldschool!) have 2 cruddy humanoid RHD, and a LA +1.

I don't see how powerful build would make them remotely overpowered.

I would also advocate making them monstrous humanoids, so their RHD wouldn't be so lame...

8. - Top - End - #8
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thurbane View Post
    I would also advocate making them monstrous humanoids, so their RHD wouldn't be so lame...
    Who you callin' monstrous?

J/k. I agree that Powerful Build would not make them overpowered.
    You can call me Draz.
    Trophies:
    Spoiler
    Show

Also of note:

I have a number of ongoing projects that I manically jump between to spend my free time ... so don't be surprised when I post a lot about something for a few days, then burn out and abandon it.
    ... yes, I need to be tested for ADHD.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Thurbane View Post
    Lizardmen (oldschool!) have 2 cruddy humanoid RHD, and a LA +1.

I don't see how powerful build would make them remotely overpowered.

A type change would make them ineligible for Enlarge Person, though.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Recommend just taking off the LA. It wouldn't make Lizardfolk all that unbalanced with those nasty racial hit dice.
    Visit the Chocolate Hammer IRC channel!
    (IRC Joining Guide Here!)

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by faceroll View Post
    ...and immune to Hold Person and Charm Person...

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

cant you just remove their RHD?
    make a completely normal LA+0 race?
    (powerful build would be awesome tho'. that lets em use oversized weapons, right?)
    Last edited by Shademan; 2010-02-10 at 03:49 AM.
    Need a setting for your game? a character concept? any gaming related ideas? I make far to many to eat up myself, and therefor I am willing to share them. Free ideas! Get yer fluff here! PM me.

The friendly neighborhood gentleman perv is always ready to help!

on M&B:
    Quote Originally Posted by Celesyne
    oh, and looting villages is REALLY good money, if a nearby lord doesn't stop by and give you a daily dose of rape.
    http://baetzler.de/humor/meat_beings.html

13. - Top - End - #13

Remove the RHD but keep LA+1, add Powerful Build, drop Natural Armor bonus to +2 would probably work out just fine.

a steampunk fantasy ♦ the novelthe album

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

Chimera

And lizardfolk aren't supposed to use weapons. At least not when their draw is having all those natural weapons to sneak attack with...

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

The problem with balancing some monsters is that they make up for a lack of gear with natural racial features. Lizardfolk get a big, juicy +5 bonus to their armor class that stacks with everything. For the lizardman in the Monster Manual, that's no big deal, since he doesn't have actual armor. But if you equip a lizardman with all of the gear appropriate to an NPC of his class, it becomes a significant boost. The DMG says that just making an NPC a lizardfolk instead of, say, an orc, only raises its CR by 1. But the actual sample 5th-level lizardfolk NPC Druid doesn't have the hide armor that's listed as part of the equipment for a normal Druid. There's probably a reason for that.

One possible way to deal with this would be to make lizardfolk incapable of wearing normal armor, like warforged. Alternately, you could lower or remove their natural armor and have just have lizardfolk warriors wear armor. Then, with the major unbalancing factor gone, you could take away their LA, remove their racial hit dice, make them Monstrous Humanoids, give them Powerful Build, and/or some other improvement.

Quote Originally Posted by faceroll View Post
    If they're given Powerful Build, maybe they should be. That spell isn't really intended to be able to make someone bigger than Large, and a Large creature with Powerful Build is effectively Huge for some purposes.

The size-enhancing spells really illustrate how inconsistent D&D 3.5 is about size categories, by the way. The weight of your equipment is multiplied by eight, but your carrying capacity doesn't increase nearly that much. Your greatsword now weighs four times what a Large greatsword does. How much damage does it deal? Can you even wield it anymore?
    Quote Originally Posted by icefractal View Post
    Abstract positioning, either fully "position doesn't matter" or "zones" or whatever, is fine. If the rules reflect that. Exact positioning, with a visual representation, is fine. But "exact positioning theoretically exists, and the rules interact with it, but it only exists in the GM's head and is communicated to the players a bit at a time" sucks for anything even a little complex. And I say this from a GM POV.

16. - Top - End - #16

Quote Originally Posted by Devils_Advocate View Post
    The size-enhancing spells really illustrate how inconsistent D&D 3.5 is about size categories, by the way. The weight of your equipment is multiplied by eight, but your carrying capacity doesn't increase nearly that much. Your greatsword now weighs four times what a Large greatsword does. How much damage does it deal? Can you even wield it anymore?
    That's realistic, actually ... squared/cubed ratios and all that ... the tallest humans have to wear leg braces just to hold up their own weight.

Mwahahaha, another catgirl dead!
    You can call me Draz.
    Trophies:
    Spoiler
    Show

Also of note:

I have a number of ongoing projects that I manically jump between to spend my free time ... so don't be surprised when I post a lot about something for a few days, then burn out and abandon it.
    ... yes, I need to be tested for ADHD.