New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

MindFlayer

Default A question about the Sand Shaper PRC

Just a question about the Sand Shaper PRC, and more specific, the Sand Shape ability.

Would it be too breaking to change the time to create Objects into one round per DC (instead of one minute), and the duration to One Hour per sandshaper level? (from 10 minutes per level)

As well, with Improved Sand Shape, when creating Animals, still having the 1 minute per dc, but changing the duration to 10minutes per sandshaper level? (from one minute per level)?

(As well, letting the golden camel persist for 1h per sandshaper level)

What do you say?
    Last edited by Asheram; 2010-02-10 at 07:32 PM.
    Boats are like nuts, the outside is hard but the inside is usually good to eat.

And remember, things can always get worse.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

MindFlayer

Default Re: A question about the Sand Shaper PRC

A lot of pushback you'll receive from DMs with this idea is how well can you make something out of sand in 6 seconds?

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

I don't know; I've never seen a spell-like ability in real life.

4. - Top - End - #4

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by DementedFellow View Post
    A lot of pushback you'll receive from DMs with this idea is how well can you make something out of sand in 6 seconds?
    Well, in the sandstorm book, there's shown that you can make something in (according to the original) negative 5 minutes.

5. - Top - End - #5

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Asheram View Post
    Well, in the sandstorm book, there's shown that you can make something in (according to the original) negative 5 minutes.
    You can make it before you begin making it? That IS fast.

6. - Top - End - #6

I'm actually currently playing a Sand Shaper, and let me tell you, Sand Shape is NOT one of the strong points of the class. As written, it's very cumbersome and I think I used it all of once. To create an eagle lookout when expecting attack, I think. Buffing it just a bit would in no way, shape or form be game breaking.

~R~

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DementedFellow View Post
    I don't know about you, but I'd consider the ability working faster to actually make more sense (in a what-aligns-more-with-works-of-fiction way). I mean, when you see a fire mage or desert shaman or ice wizard or [material] [profession] make something, you never really see them concentrate on slowly building up an object, do you? It's just WHOOSH, meticulously-detailed sword of fire! or POOF, smooth ramp of ice to slide on! or whatever. In that context, whipping up a creature made of sand in a few seconds makes perfect sense.
    Better to DM in Baator than play in Celestia
    You can just call me Dice; that's how I roll.

Spoiler: Sig of Holding
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by abadguy View Post
    Darn you PoDL for making me care about a bunch of NPC Commoners!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chambers View Post
    I'm pretty sure turning Waterdeep into a sheet of glass wasn't the best win condition for that fight. We lived though!
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxiDuRaritry View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'DiceLost View Post
    <Snip>
    Where are my Like, Love, and Want to Have Your Manchildren (Totally Homo) buttons for this post?
    Won a cookie for this, won everything for this

8. - Top - End - #8

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Raiki View Post
    I'm actually currently playing a Sand Shaper, and let me tell you, Sand Shape is NOT one of the strong points of the class. As written, it's very cumbersome and I think I used it all of once. To create an eagle lookout when expecting attack, I think. Buffing it just a bit would in no way, shape or form be game breaking.

~R~
    I'm glad that I agree.

Now, I was a bit weary about changing the time on how you create animals due to the fact that you could make an endless amounts of jackals or dogs to swarm your enemies with... but I think a 10min duration for each sand shaper level sounds quite alright if it's the same crafting time, don't you think?

9. - Top - End - #9
    Pixie in the Playground

MonkGuy

Or maybe you should focus on keeping your Druid alive instead of trying to houserule new classes without talking with your DM

10. - Top - End - #10

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Rensvind View Post
    Or maybe you should focus on keeping your Druid alive instead of trying to houserule new classes without talking with your DM
    *shrugs* Just putting fourth some suggestions to get answers from those wiser than us, and so far it seems like it's a decent enough fix.

Beside, I have been trying to get hold of you for a day or two. If you're not around, then how could I ask?