Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

Default Can incatatrix metamagic abilities work for divine spells?

Hey guys can the metamagic cost reduction from Incantatrix work on DMM for metamagic feats for divine spells?

So you have a build like thus

Cleric XX//WizXX/IncantatrixXX

With these feats:

Extend Spell
    Persist spell
    DMM Persist
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Drascin View Post
    DM: "And now you descend into the mazelike tunnels, where no light save for what magic you bring will illuminate your path, as you search for-"
    Player: "I'm preparing Teleport twice each day."
    DM: "...and there goes the tension by the window"

Spoiler
    Show
    I Am A: Lawful Good Human Ranger (3rd Level)
    Ability Scores
    Strength: 15
    Dexterity: 18
    Constitution: 16
    Intelligence: 16
    Wisdom: 16
    Charisma: 14

2. - Top - End - #2
    Banned

Default Re: Can incatatrix metamagic abilities work for divine spells?

It lowers the spell bump. So for instance, a Persisted Divine Power would take a 9th level slot (4+5) rather than a 10th level slot (4+6).

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGirl

Yes, it counts for everything including DMM Persist.

But if you're an Incantatrix, you shouldn't need DMM Persist in the first place, because you have Metamagic Effect and Cooperative Metamagic.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Optimystik View Post
    Your Tainted Scholar builds look fun, but I'm lactose intolerant
    You're just trying to get more people into your sig, aren't you
    Quote Originally Posted by ShneekeyTheLost View Post
    Seeing TO by Magic9Mushroom is like seeing a movie with Joss Wheaton as director... you know that it's worth watching, even if you do want to strangle the bastard by the time you're done with it.

4. - Top - End - #4

HalflingRangerGuy

While that is true for the Incantatrix in PGtF I am using the version from Magic of faerun. That one does not have those class abilities therefore I need DMM.

The build I am going for is very "simple"

Dragon-wrought Kobold (saint)
    OR
    Sainted Dragonborn Warforged (just replace dragon-wrought with adamantine body)

C-Cleric 5/ Bone Knight 10/ Ordained Champion 5 (not in that order)//Sorcerer 6/ Incantatrix 10/ Sorcerer 4

Domains: Planning and Undeath ( I believe undeath gives you extra turning and planning gives you extend spell)

Feats:
    Flaw- Iron will
    Flaw- Dragon-wrought
    BD: Extend Spell
    BD: Extra Turning
    1st: Skill focus [religion]
    3rd: Persist Spell
    6th: Divine Metamagic
    9th: Twin Spell
    12th: Knowledge Devotion
    15th: Quicken Spell
    18th: Craft Contingent Spell

Now if I am understanding Ccleric from UA correctly you gain the knowledge domain not a bonus domain correct? if so look below at ACF's

ACF:
    Restoration variant in Dungeonscape give up Knowledge domain (I do not need all knowledge skills for lack of skill points unless I take knowledge devotion)

I know what you're going to say "you can't take 2 PrC's at once"

Just so I can answer it now HE HAS OKAY'd that rule because he believes that gaining regular levels is the same as gaining PrC's level just they're more specific but are just as hard to earn because of Prereq's.

Any advice for the build as far as equips and ACF's or anything on the Sorcerer side
    Spoiler
    Show
    DM: "And now you descend into the mazelike tunnels, where no light save for what magic you bring will illuminate your path, as you search for-"

Spoiler
    Show
    Ability Scores

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

My main advice would be spring for the 3.5 version, as it's twice as nice. Metamagic Effect + high Int + Academic Priest = almost total Int SAD. You'll still need Wis for um...bonus slots I think, but everything else will be Int based, and turn attempts are cheap. Trust me, Metamagic Effect is that awesome. Wanna debuff an army after you crippled the leader? Metamagic Effect Chain to the lot of them. Wanna make your buddy the Mailman into Fed Ex International? Twin that nasty Orb O' Death! Or everyone's favorite : Take 7 levels of Iot7V and persist the veils. Welcome to Star Mode, only you don't die when you fall in a pit.
    "I live apart from you
    But I know the things you do
    No angel can save you, how?
    You don't need a god, 'cause I'm here now."

6. - Top - End - #6

HalflingRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by KellKheraptis View Post
    My main advice would be spring for the 3.5 version, as it's twice as nice. Metamagic Effect + high Int + Academic Priest = almost total Int SAD. You'll still need Wis for um...bonus slots I think, but everything else will be Int based, and turn attempts are cheap. Trust me, Metamagic Effect is that awesome. Wanna debuff an army after you crippled the leader? Metamagic Effect Chain to the lot of them. Wanna make your buddy the Mailman into Fed Ex International? Twin that nasty Orb O' Death! Or everyone's favorite : Take 7 levels of Iot7V and persist the veils. Welcome to Star Mode, only you don't die when you fall in a pit.
    So what would that build look like then? Taking the same Ccleric side how would the Sorcerer Side look? Or would you take wizard instead?
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show
    Ability Scores

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Os1ris09 View Post
    So what would that build look like then? Taking the same Ccleric side how would the Sorcerer Side look? Or would you take wizard instead?
    Wizard works better because Spellcraft is Int-based and you get the abilities 3+Int/day.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Seeing TO by Magic9Mushroom is like seeing a movie with Joss Wheaton as director... you know that it's worth watching, even if you do want to strangle the bastard by the time you're done with it.

8. - Top - End - #8

HalflingRangerGuy

Ok so then the build would be as above except for the Sorcerer side will be replaced with this:

Wizard 5/ Incantatrix 10/ Initiate of the Seven Fold veil 5 ( I want to get to seven but I want incantatrix at 10 and dont know how to get 3rd lvl spells without 5 wizard lvls and I can't use Mystic Thuerge to increase it on any side. )
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show
    Ability Scores

9. - Top - End - #9
    Banned

Get an item familiar if you're going 3.5 incantatrix. Makes that spellcraft crap so much easier.

10. - Top - End - #10

HalflingRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by faceroll View Post
    Get an item familiar if you're going 3.5 incantatrix. Makes that spellcraft crap so much easier.
    How????
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show
    Ability Scores

11. - Top - End - #11
    Banned

How????
    Ok.
    3.5 incant lets you make spellcraft checks to add metamagic to spells being cast or that are already in effect. These checks are very hard to make.

Item familiars (on SRD under variant rules; find your own damn link) let you invest skill ranks in them. FOr every three skill ranks you invest, you get a +1 unnamed bonus to any skill you have ranks in, up to the number of ranks in that skill you have. Item familiar basically doubles the number of ranks you have in a skill (you can't early qualify for a prc or anything). It's a feat that gives you level +3 bonus to a skill or three.
    Last edited by faceroll; 2010-02-11 at 03:14 AM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

I would also cap the Wizard side with Halruuan Adept instead of Iot7V. I used it as an example, but with Incantatrix persist tech, you can emulate most if not all of it, only better. Also, Halruuan Elder 5 gives you two 1 level reductions to two metamagic feats (my usual are reach and chain), 2 signature spells, and most importantly, Circle Magic. Hello CL 40 at 20th level spell slots, with Empower and Maximize applied if they can be. Also, what were you planning on the divine side? Wanna be the true ultimate caster? Go Cloistered Cleric of Mystra 5/Dweomerkeeper 10/Divine Disciple 5 (or any combo of 5 divine advancing classes, really), and make sure to pick up Initiate of Mystra. Now persist an AMF, and revel in the fact that you're immune to it, while having the full firepower of an Incantalruuan. Think of it as Potarra Earrings meets Batman and Superman, or SSJ4 Vegito (which I know didn't happen in the story, but that's close to maybe a quarter of what an Incantalruuan Cheater of Mystra can do).
    "I live apart from you
    But I know the things you do
    No angel can save you, how?
    You don't need a god, 'cause I'm here now."

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGirl

I would also cap the Wizard side with Halruuan Adept instead of Iot7V. I used it as an example, but with Incantatrix persist tech, you can emulate most if not all of it, only better. Also, Halruuan Elder 5 gives you two 1 level reductions to two metamagic feats (my usual are reach and chain), 2 signature spells, and most importantly, Circle Magic. Hello CL 40 at 20th level spell slots, with Empower and Maximize applied if they can be. Also, what were you planning on the divine side? Wanna be the true ultimate caster? Go Cloistered Cleric of Mystra 5/Dweomerkeeper 10/Divine Disciple 5 (or any combo of 5 divine advancing classes, really), and make sure to pick up Initiate of Mystra. Now persist an AMF, and revel in the fact that you're immune to it, while having the full firepower of an Incantalruuan. Think of it as Potarra Earrings meets Batman and Superman, or SSJ4 Vegito (which I know didn't happen in the story, but that's close to maybe a quarter of what an Incantalruuan Cheater of Mystra can do).
    Initiate of Mystra doesn't make you immune to an AMF, it merely allows you to cast in it.
    Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #14

HalflingRangerGuy

On the divine side I had listed as the following

C-cleric 5/Bone Knight 10/ Ordained Champion 5

But I may change that to get full casting on the Divine side so that way I am casting 9th lvl divine and arcane spells and not loosing CL

Quote Originally Posted by faceroll View Post
    Ok.
    3.5 incant lets you make spellcraft checks to add metamagic to spells being cast or that are already in effect. These checks are very hard to make.

Item familiars (on SRD under variant rules; find your own damn link) let you invest skill ranks in them.
    I can understand saying you need to find your own link but to say it with attitude isn't very nice man
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show
    Ability Scores

15. - Top - End - #15

HalflingRangerGuy

I would also cap the Wizard side with Halruuan Adept instead of Iot7V
    I can't find this anywhere? Is it a class or a PrC or what??

Cloistered Cleric of Mystra 5
    I am assuming that this is a regular cleric worshiping Mystra?? Or is it an actual class because I cant find it in the PrC index on the wizards of the coast.

Initiate of Mystra.
    Is this a feat??
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show
    Ability Scores

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

I am assuming that this is a regular cleric worshiping Mystra?? Or is it an actual class because I cant find it in the PrC index on the wizards of the coast.

Is this a feat??
    Prestiege class in shining south page 27.

Cloistered cleric is a variant cleric class from unearthed arcana.

It is a feat in the players guide to faerun.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

Its a feat from Shining South. Unless he meant Haluuran Elder which is a PrC from the same book. (I think thats what he meant seeing that he suggests capping off wizard with it.)

Its a regular cleric who worships Mystra.

Is this a feat??
    Its a feat that allows you to cast in a Antimagic field if you pass a CL check DC 11+spell level. Its from players guide to faerun.
    Last edited by Weezer; 2010-02-11 at 07:02 PM.
    At the heart of all beauty lies something inhuman, and these hills, the softness of the sky, the outline of the trees at this very minute lose the illusory meaning with which we clothed them, henceforth more remote than a lost paradise.
    -Camus, An Absurd Reasoning

Fourth Doctor avatar courtesy of Szilard

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGirl

Cloistered Cleric is a variant cleric that loses BAB and Hit Die size in return for bardic knowledge, the Knowledge domain, more skill points, and some more spells on the list. The BAB is fixed by Divine Power, making it a very strong variant.
    Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #19

HalflingRangerGuy

Ok so the new build is the following (not to cheese it to much because of reduced Metamagic cheese)

So here it is:

Saint Dragonborn Human CG

Cloistered Cleric of Mystra 5/ Dweomerkeeper 10/ Divine Oracle 2/ Contemplative 1// Wizard 5/ Incantatrix 10/ Halruuan Elder5

Domains: Planning, Magic (DM said I can have planning to make build work)

Feat progression:
    Bonus Domain: Extend Spell
    Flaw 1: Quicken Spell
    Flaw 2: Empower Spell
    Human: Twin Spell
    1: Reach Spell
    3: Iron Will
    6: Create Wand
    9: Craft contingent Spell
    12: Persist Spell
    15: Skill Focus [religion]
    18: Sculpt Spell
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show
    Ability Scores

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGirl

Ok so the new build is the following (not to cheese it to much because of reduced Metamagic cheese)

So here it is:

Saint Dragonborn Human CG

Cloistered Cleric of Mystra 5/ Dweomerkeeper 10/ Divine Oracle 2/ Contemplative 1// Wizard 5/ Incantatrix 10/ Halruuan Elder5

Domains: Planning, Magic (DM said I can have planning to make build work)

Feat progression:
    Flaw 1: Quicken Spell
    Flaw 2: Empower Spell
    Human: Twin Spell
    12: Persist Spell
    18: Sculpt Spell
    You've got five bonus metamagic feats, you know. One from Wizard 5 and four from Incantatrix 1, 4, 7, and 10.
    Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #21

HalflingRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by magic9mushroom View Post
    You've got five bonus metamagic feats, you know. One from Wizard 5 and four from Incantatrix 1, 4, 7, and 10.
    HAHA I forgot about that. Well then what would GITP suggest as feats then since I can just take the metamagic feats as those bonus feats. The only ones you cant supplement are the 1,3,6 feats and the incantatrix 1,4 feats:

Build:

Human Saint
    C-Cleric of Mystra 5/ Dweomerkeeper 10/ Divine Oracle 2/ Contemplative 1/C-cleric 2// Wizard 5/ Incantatrix 10/ Abjurant Champion 5

Domains: Planning, Travel (contemplative), Magic

Feat progression:
    Wizard 5: Quicken Spell
    Incantatrix 1: Empower Spell
    Incantatrix 4: Twin Spell
    Incantatrix 7: Persist Spell
    Incantatrix 10: Sculpt Spell
    12: Repeat Spell
    18: Split Ray

The idea with that feat list is that I want to be able to take advantage of the Spellcraft checks granted by Incantatrix and use multiple checks to take advantage of this combination (if applicable)

Reach Spell >> Chain Spell

Repeat Spell >> Split Ray (for minor low level ray spells such as envervating ray or scroching ray)

Extend Spell>> Persist Spell (to persist mage armor and shield)

Reason for Abjurant Champion is that I can sell armor and use bracers of armor and add Fortification, Heavy to them and just use mage armor and Shield for the actual AC.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show
    Ability Scores

22. - Top - End - #22

HalflingRangerGuy

Hey guys I can't find the item that lets you make the spellcraft check easier for Incantatrix? Is it an item or is a familar type thingy?
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show
    Ability Scores

23. - Top - End - #23
    Dwarf in the Playground

Hey guys I can't find the item that lets you make the spellcraft check easier for Incantatrix? Is it an item or is a familar type thingy?
    Item Familiars are in Unearthed Arcana. I believe they're listed in the totally free SRD as well.

You're gonna need decent spellcraft checks as an incantatrix.

Abjurant Champion is absolutely not necessary....wait, you're gestalting it.

Eesh. Okay.

You're gonna want to persist spells that are better than mage armor; wraithstrike's good for this if you're of martial bent.

Ocular Spell (from Lords of Madness) has some, er, strange interactions that some find rather interesting.
    Epic levels: Where things finally start to get interesting.
    I have been accused of being a walking, talking Spell Compendium.
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Irreverent Fool View Post
    Yes, but in D&D, no matter how effective your shield might be, you're still better off charging into combat with a two-handed, pouncing, leaping, power attack from horseback using shock trooper to drop your AC into the basement while retaining your full chance to hit.

Or you know, just asking the wizard to deal with it.

24. - Top - End - #24

HalflingRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by SilverStar View Post
    Item Familiars are in Unearthed Arcana. I believe they're listed in the totally free SRD as well.

You're gonna need decent spellcraft checks as an incantatrix.

Abjurant Champion is absolutely not necessary....wait, you're gestalting it.

Eesh. Okay.

You're gonna want to persist spells that are better than mage armor; wraithstrike's good for this if you're of martial bent.

Ocular Spell (from Lords of Madness) has some, er, strange interactions that some find rather interesting.
    Unfortunately I do not have Lords of Madness. Abjurant Champion I realize is not needed but I was thinking I should make use of all the Abjuration spells I am going to cast. I also do not know of any other armor AC granting spells other than Greater Mage Armor which I believe grants +6 armor AC.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show
    Ability Scores

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

Unfortunately I do not have Lords of Madness. Abjurant Champion I realize is not needed but I was thinking I should make use of all the Abjuration spells I am going to cast. I also do not know of any other armor AC granting spells other than Greater Mage Armor which I believe grants +6 armor AC.
    Unfortunately greater mage armor like regular mage armor is in the conjuration school.

An armor bonus to AC abjuration spell however is the luminous armor exalted spell from the book of exalted deeds as I recall. There is also a greater version.

26. - Top - End - #26

HalflingRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by olentu View Post
    Unfortunately greater mage armor like regular mage armor is in the conjuration school.

An armor bonus to AC abjuration spell however is the luminous armor exalted spell from the book of exalted deeds as I recall. There is also a greater version.
    Ok I will look into that. Does Abjurant Champion work with that spell, as in does it add its class lvl to that Spells AC?
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show
    Ability Scores

27. - Top - End - #27
    Dwarf in the Playground

Absolutely, as it's of the abjuration school. There IS a small matter of some ability damage at the end of the spell's duration, but it's a negligible amount, and easily overcome.
    Spoiler
    Show

Yes, but in D&D, no matter how effective your shield might be, you're still better off charging into combat with a two-handed, pouncing, leaping, power attack from horseback using shock trooper to drop your AC into the basement while retaining your full chance to hit.

28. - Top - End - #28

Archivist with a 1 level dip in a PrC that grants turning may be more advantageous, as it sets divine casting off of Int.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Dwarf in the Playground

Not to mention archivist gives you access to pretty much whatever in the way of spells, as long as your DM lets you.
    Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #30

HalflingRangerGuy

Well here is the bad part I already started playing the character and no re-training allowed so I am stuck with this build. Right now I am this:

Cloistered Cleric of Mystra 3//Wizard 3

So I think I will just buy Orb of Mental Renewal and a rod of Bodily Restoration to offset the ability damage.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show
    Ability Scores