New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default 4e Hybrid rules...need all the details

I am looking for the hybrid character rules for 4e but at the moment have no way to get my hands on the player's handbook 3, and won't in the foreseeable future. So, I ask, would one of you be kind enough to give me the exact text of the hybrid character rules? If you are all to lazy to or just don't feel like giveing me the exact text, then a detailed paraphrasing would be good, but the key word is DETAILED. I need to know EVERYTHING regarding hybrid characters sans fluff/flavor. Every rule pertaining to them, I need to know. I need to know how many class features they get, how many powers they get, everything. And I don't just want "a few" I need exact numbers here.

So if one of you would be so kind, could you explain the hybrid character rules to me?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: 4e Hybrid rules...need all the details

Is that legal? I don't think that's legal.
    I use black for sarcasm.

Call me Rose, or The Rose Dragon. Rose Dragon is someone else entirely.

If you need me for something, please PM me about it. I am having difficulty keeping track of all my obligations.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

It's copyrighted, and it'd be against forum rules for someone to do so.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Giegue View Post
    If you are all to lazy to or just don't feel like giveing me the exact text, then a detailed paraphrasing would be good, but the key word is DETAILED. I need to know EVERYTHING regarding hybrid characters sans fluff/flavor... And I don't just want "a few" I need exact numbers here.

So if one of you would be so kind, could you explain the hybrid character rules to me?
    I suggest you take your aggressively-worded request that we breach copyright elsewhere.

Or better yet, buy a one-month subscription to DDI from the WotC website and download the character builder yourself. It has all the information you need (or will once it is updated with PHB3 material).
    Kudos and thanks to Mortugg for the awesome custom avatar!

Colmarr's Blog: The Astral Sea.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Not even proper citation circumvents the plagiarism associated with copying an entire section of a text (verbatim or otherwise).

My pocket style citation manual shall not save this day.
    Last edited by DabblerWizard; 2010-02-11 at 10:53 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

I mean, copyright law isn't completely dead, is it? Is it?

7. - Top - End - #7

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Moff Chumley View Post
    I mean, copyright law isn't completely dead, is it? Is it?
    It's definitely not dead at all, especially when related to certain types of media. E.G.: The Music Publishers Association lawsuits.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DabblerWizard View Post
    Not even proper citation circumvents the plagiarism associated with copying an entire section of a text (verbatim or otherwise).

My pocket style citation manual shall not save this day.
    Nitpick: Plagiarism is an intellectual crime of when one attributes material wrongly as your own. This isn't plagiarism. Although it is probably a lot closer to a copyright violation than a lot of the stuff that people commonly think are copyright violations.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by JoshuaZ View Post
    Nitpick: Plagiarism is an intellectual crime of when one attributes material wrongly as your own. This isn't plagiarism. Although it is probably a lot closer to a copyright violation than a lot of the stuff that people commonly think are copyright violations.
    Fun fact: Plagiarism has a good deal of overlap with copyright violations!
    Fun fact #2: Lots of us Playgrounders pay good money to see this kind of stuff ahead of time and would like people to recognize that even if you don't like copyright law.

10. - Top - End - #10

OldWizardGuy

Claiming material as one's own, when it is not, is standard plagiarism.

I've learned that it is considered plagiarism if a person incorrectly or insufficiently attributes a work to its proper source. Not citing at all, could be considered insufficient source attribution, making it a kind of plagiarism. It could also be suggested that not citing a work at all, is implicitly claiming a work as one's own.

Either way, as far as I've been taught, posting a whole chunk of copyrighted material without citing at all, is plagiarism, a specific kind of copyright violation.

I'm not a lawyer, so my understanding of intellectual property laws can certainly be incorrect.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mando Knight View Post
    Fun fact: Plagiarism has a good deal of overlap with copyright violations!
    Yes, there is overlap. In fact, if plagiarism is almost universally a subset of copyright violation at least in the United States. That's less true in some other locals. These issues are complicated.

Fun fact #2: Lots of us Playgrounders pay good money to see this kind of stuff ahead of time and would like people to recognize that even if you don't like copyright law.
    Since this is apparently in response to my comment, I must confess some puzzlement at your remark. It isn't at all clear to me where anywhere in my comment I said anything that would suggest that a) I have a problem with copyright law or b) that I'm not one of the playgrounders who pays for stuff early. a) is actually true but not in any way remotely related to this. Modern copyright laws have serious problems. But the problems are related almost completely to the long duration of copyrights.

Fun Fact #3: Pretty close to everything post 1923 is copyrighted and not in public domain as far as the US is concerned.

Fun Fact #3: In many countries there's actually no equivalent of public domain, making it difficult for people to release work even if they want to.

Fun Fact #4: None of the copyright problems (which are immense) have anything to do with D&D since no reasonable individual would try to argue that D&D shouldn't be still copyrighted. Moreover, anything that's just come out is precisely the sort of thing that copyrights are explicitly supposed to cover in the US Constitution.

Fun Fact #5: Posting condescending remarks entitled "Fun Facts" is annoying. It is even more so when your comments indicate a complete failure to parse what the individual you are responding to said.

Now on to the polite remarks:

Quote Originally Posted by DabblerWizard View Post
    Claiming material as one's own, when it is not, is standard plagiarism.

I've learned that it is considered plagiarism if a person incorrectly or insufficiently attributes a work to its proper source. Not citing at all, could be considered insufficient source attribution, making it a kind of plagiarism. It could also be suggested that not citing a work at all, is implicitly claiming a work as one's own.
    All correct.

Either way, as far as I've been taught, posting a whole chunk of copyrighted material without citing at all, is plagiarism, a specific kind of copyright violation.
    Yes, but if I took a work in the public domain (say from the 1911 Britannica which is in the public domain) and didn't attribute it properly that would be plagiarism but not a copyright violation. The vast majority of plagiarism is for more modern texts and thus is also potentially a copyright violation (and generally is in fact a copyright violation).
    Last edited by JoshuaZ; 2010-02-11 at 11:50 PM. Reason: formatting

12. - Top - End - #12
    Pixie in the Playground

NinjaGuy

I am looking for the hybrid character rules for 4e but at the moment have no way to get my hands on the player's handbook 3, and won't in the foreseeable future. So, I ask, would one of you be kind enough to give me the exact text of the hybrid character rules? If you are all to lazy to or just don't feel like giveing me the exact text, then a detailed paraphrasing would be good, but the key word is DETAILED. I need to know EVERYTHING regarding hybrid characters sans fluff/flavor. Every rule pertaining to them, I need to know. I need to know how many class features they get, how many powers they get, everything. And I don't just want "a few" I need exact numbers here.

Here are the full and exact rules of hybrids in 4e. In exact detail, even with the fluff.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Skrizzy View Post
    Here are the full and exact rules of hybrids in 4e. In exact detail, even with the fluff.
    Well played.

I also can tell you that pre-newest update, I had homebrewed an artificer Hybrid that looked like this:
    Spoiler
    Show

Hybrid Artificer

Profs, implements: Same
    Bonus to Defense: +1 Fortitude or +1 Will
    HP1/HPlevel/HS: one half.

Class Skills: as Artificer (No auto-arcana), and 1 extra skill from artificer list

Class Features: Healing Infusion (Hybrid), Arcane Rejuvenation
    Hybrid Talent Options: Arcane Empowerement, Artificer Armor Proficiency

Arcane Rejuvenation
    As Artificer class feature.

Healing Infusion (Hybrid)
    As Healing Infusion, but usable once per encounter.

HYBRID TALENT OPTIONS

Arcane Empowerement
    As Artificer class feature.

Artificer Armor Proficiency
    Cloth and Leather Proficiency.

This looks a lot like the official one, but there are some noticeable differences that DDI insiders can see. This homebrew should be sufficient to allow a guess at the rules without actually knowing them.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Since this is apparently in response to my comment, I must confess some puzzlement at your remark.
    I'm sorry, there was apparently a bit of miscommunication. The second remark was a general statement referring back to the OP desiring breach of copyright for something that a good deal of people on this very same forum have paid for. It's actually rather insulting to be told that someone has the right to get something for free from you when you had to pay for it.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mando Knight View Post
    I'm sorry, there was apparently a bit of miscommunication. The second remark was a general statement referring back to the OP desiring breach of copyright for something that a good deal of people on this very same forum have paid for. It's actually rather insulting to be told that someone has the right to get something for free from you when you had to pay for it.
    Sorry for my misinterpretation then. In complete agreement.
    Last edited by JoshuaZ; 2010-02-12 at 01:02 AM.

16. - Top - End - #16

OldWizardGuy

Yes, but if I took a work in the public domain (say from the 1911 Britannica which is in the public domain) and didn't attribute it properly that would be plagiarism but not a copyright violation. The vast majority of plagiarism is for more modern texts and thus is also potentially a copyright violation (and generally is in fact a copyright violation).
    Oh legal technicalities!

I also love the fact that writers (or mostly professors and researchers I suppose) can plagiarize their own past work! Having to cite oneself feels more than a little pretentious.

Such self-citation is clearly helpful for other people who might want to look up the earlier work, but otherwise, it seems silly.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Firbolg in the Playground

So you're telling us "Would You kindly" breach copyright? And calling us lazy?

Man, we got a real winner here. Entitlement, passive aggression, AND illegal activity.

Hm, "Would you Kindly." Makes me want to play Bioshock again...

18. - Top - End - #18
    Halfling in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Whats to know about it? Basically you pick your base class, then your hybrid class, avg your starting HP and surges, and pick your powers from both class lists. There's some stuff about skill selection/innate class ability selection.

I think. It's been a while since I looked at the rules. Think of it like putting together a peanut butter sandwich...its mooshy, but tasty. I like it better than the feat multiclassing option, it gives you a better blend and introduces some badly needed character customization. Blowing feats to get multiclass powers just feels too limiting/clunky.

Thats about as detailed an explanation as you are likely to get without access to the source material.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Demonix View Post
    Whats to know about it? Basically you pick your base class, then your hybrid class, avg your starting HP and surges, and pick your powers from both class lists. There's some stuff about skill selection/innate class ability selection.
    Actually, you pick two classes, cut them both in half, smear some peanut butter on one side of each of them, and put them back together. Then you've got a delicious hybrid-class sandwich.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

Since talking 'bout the Law is against Forum rules...

Seriously just go buy a one month subscription of DDI ($10), download the full Character Builder, and then don't renew.

You'll have the full Hybrid rules (well, save whatever else comes from PHB 3) as well as everything else that's been published to date - character-wise.
    Lead Designer for Oracle Hunter Games
    Today a Blog, Tomorrow a Business!

~ Awesome Avatar by the phantastic Phase ~
    Spoiler
    Show

Elflad

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Oracle_Hunter View Post
    Since talking 'bout the Law is against Forum rules...
    Talking about politics is agains the rules. Saying "the law is X. It has this consequence. Y is not ok under current copyright laws but Z is" is not politics any more than saying something like "murder is illegal."

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

Talking about politics is agains the rules. Saying "the law is X. It has this consequence. Y is not ok under current copyright laws but Z is" is not politics any more than saying something like "murder is illegal."
    Not so much - Roland's locked discussions for "giving legal advice."

That is, at least, my personal experience
    Last edited by Oracle_Hunter; 2010-02-12 at 01:25 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

Elflad

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

That is, at least, my personal experience
    Legal advice yes. Statements such as "Don't commit murder, it will get you in trouble with the law" and "X is against Y law" should be fine.
    Last edited by Boci; 2010-02-12 at 01:35 PM.
    "It doesn't matter how much you struggle or strive,
    You'll never get out of life alive,
    So please kill yourself and save this land,
    And your last mission is to spread my command,"

Slightly adapted quote from X-Fusion, Please Kill Yourself

24. - Top - End - #24

Chimera

Guys. Take it down a notch, ok? Acting outraged about someone trying to copyright infringe on the internet is like getting pissy about someone going over 55 on the highway.

So, OP: Sorry, but forum rules disallow stuff like that. Good luck trying elsewhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by Randel View Post
    How about the fact that humans can apparently breed with anything on two legs (or even four legs if you count dragons)?

Human: Hey elf, you look like a girl.
    Elf: To a human, everything must look like a girl.
    Human: What?
    Elf: Half-orcs, half-ogres...
    Human: ... shut up.
    Dwarf: Half-dragons, half-kobolds.
    Human: I said shut up!
    Elf: ...
    Dwarf: ...
    Human: ...
    Elf: Centaurs.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

If someone is driving slower than you on the highway, they're an idiot.
    If someone is driving faster than you on the highway, they're a maniac.
    Proceed to nerd road rage.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Boci View Post
    Legal advice yes. Statements such as "Don't commit murder, it will get you in trouble with the law" and "X is against Y law" should be fine.
    So... how about a link to Baker v. Selden and a quote of Section 102(b) of the US Copyright Act:
    In no case does copyright protection for an original work of authorship extend to any idea, procedure, process, system, method of operation, concept, principle, or discovery, regardless of the form in which it is described, explained, illustrated, or embodied in such work.
    I still advocate paying ten bucks for DDI rather than sullying the forum with such crass requests, but the law is seldom as straightforward as "Don't commit murder, it will get you in trouble with the law."

Spoiler
    Show

Elflad

27. - Top - End - #27
    Orc in the Playground

Actually, I'm inclined to agree with Dragonmuncher.
    High five for realists!
    Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Silver View Post
    House Cannith. We build things.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ettin in the Playground

Artificer Armor Proficiency
    Cloth and Leather Proficiency.
    Um, wut?

I mean, huh? You do know how wrong this is, right? As a hybrid talent?

Right?

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

Google search for it.
    I'm sure if the ddi for it is out some one has posted it some where ... i meen it is the internets you can almost find anything...
    When the end comes i shall remember you.

I sorry i fail Englimish...(appologise for Spelling/Grammer Errors) Please don't correct my spelling or grammer eaither.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

So... how about a link to Baker v. Selden and a quote of Section 102(b) of the US Copyright Act:
    Yes, but how game systems play into that and what category they fall into is complicated. There aren't a lot of cases about that, but it seems from my (admittedly limited) understanding that the Baker style exception wouldn't apply in this case. (And further discussion on board probably really would be too much of a legal discussion- I'm pretty sure we're hitting that point given that I'm feeling an impulse to make an IANAL disclaimer which is a good sign that we should probably stop).

So um bottom line, not happening on these boards. Either further discussion or giving the OP the rules.