New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Default Simplified races [3.5]

Okay, c'mon. There is too much information for one character sheet for some races (elf, dwarf especially). So here are some more powerful, less complex race variants.

Human
    +2 any stat
    bonus feat
    +1 skill point/level (4 at first)
    FC: highest, any

Elf
    +2 dex, +2 int
    choose a school of magic. +1 caster level to arcane spells of this school
    llvision
    FC: wizard, ranger

Half-Elf
    +2 dex, +2 cha
    +1 skill point/level (4 at first)
    llvision
    FC: sorceror, any

Dwarf
    +2 con,+2 str
    +2 on skill checks involving stone
    favored enemy (orcs, goblinoids, or giants) +2. stacks w/ ranger
    dkvision 30
    FC: fighter, paladin

Half-Orc
    +2 str, +2 con
    +4 intimidate
    dkvision 30
    FC: barbarian, any

Halfling
    +2 dex, +2 wis
    small
    +2 thrown attack and damage
    FC: rogue, ranger

Gnome
    +2 con, +2 cha
    +1 illusion caster level
    favored enemy (kobolds, goblinoids, or giants)+2. stacks w/ ranger
    llvision
    FC: bard, wizard
    Last edited by Tao the Ninja; 2010-02-12 at 08:01 PM.
    Dimir member in good evil standing.

Member of the Evil League of Evil.

Browncoat. Because no power in the 'verse can stop us.

Member in good contested standing of the Mammal Club.

Honorary turtle. See above.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Simplified races [3.5]

These look all right, although you probably want to let Elves keep immunity to sleep--since it's a part of their fluff that they trance, not sleep--and dwarves are MUCH better off with Stonecunning than the favored enemy bonus. It makes a lot more sense, since most dwarves would live out much of their lives underground, by the standard fluff at least.

Also, this belongs in the Homebrew section.

Or maybe not, since these are basically the 4e races. And by basically, I mean the human was copypasted from the 4e phpb.
    "Once upon a time, a story was never finished..."

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kallisti View Post
    These look all right, although you probably want to let Elves keep immunity to sleep--since it's a part of their fluff that they trance, not sleep--and dwarves are MUCH better off with Stonecunning than the favored enemy bonus. It makes a lot more sense, since most dwarves would live out much of their lives underground, by the standard fluff at least.

Also, this belongs in the Homebrew section.

Or maybe not, since these are basically the 4e races. And by basically, I mean the human was copypasted from the 4e phpb.
    Oops. How do I move it?
    Dimir member in good evil standing.

Member of the Evil League of Evil.

Browncoat. Because no power in the 'verse can stop us.

Member in good contested standing of the Mammal Club.

Honorary turtle. See above.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

You ask a mod to move it for you. It's not really a big deal, though. Chances are it's not worth pestering poor overworked Roland for.
    "Once upon a time, a story was never finished..."

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

You give the Elf, Halfling, and Gnome some overly specific bonuses, in my opinion. Elves and gnomes need to be not just spellcasters but a particular kind of spellcaster to make use of one of their bonuses. Using thrown weapons is a fairly particular fighting style.

Some things -- Con, Dex, a bonus feat -- are useful for almost any build. It's probably best to give each race exactly one generically useful thing.

I'd consider simply giving each race a straight +2 Int or not, and not doing the whole weird bonus skill points thingy. Perhaps it would be appropriate to give humans +2 Int and +2 Str instead of +1 skill point/level and +2 Any Stat. (Have you seen how big humans are next to elves and dwarves?)

Think about what you want each race to be able to do. For example, a race with neither low-light vision nor darkvision is handicapped at scouting, which I always felt made halflings less than satisfying Rogues. You've given dwarves and half-orcs very similar stats, with both the same ability score bonuses and darkvision on each. Are you cool with them being pretty much mechanically redundant with each other? For that matter, are you cool with halflings being the designated Druid and non-beatstick Cleric race?

The simplest way to deal with favored classes is to chuck out multiclassing XP penalties entirely, of course.
    Quote Originally Posted by icefractal View Post
    Abstract positioning, either fully "position doesn't matter" or "zones" or whatever, is fine. If the rules reflect that. Exact positioning, with a visual representation, is fine. But "exact positioning theoretically exists, and the rules interact with it, but it only exists in the GM's head and is communicated to the players a bit at a time" sucks for anything even a little complex. And I say this from a GM POV.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Banned

SwashbucklerGuy

Hmmm. I think I've seen similar before.

Races
    Human: No ability modifiers or special traits. They count any class as favored.
    Elf: Abilities +2 Dex, –2 Con. They have low-light vision, a +2 bonus to Search checks, and a +2 bonus to Will saves. Their favored class is Wizard.
    Dwarf: Abilities +2 Con, –2 Cha. They have darkvision, 20 foot base movement, and a +2 bonus to Fort and Will saves. Their favored class is Fighter; they cannot be Wizards.
    Halfling: Abilities +2 Dex, –2 Str. They are Small, with 20 foot base movement, and a +1 bonus to all saves. Their favored class is Rogue; they cannot be Wizards.

source: Dan's diminutive d20
    Mind how you go with this simplification lark. Before you know it you'll be falling back in love with B/X D&D and decrying WOTC versions of D&D as insanely complex snark hunts.

@v: Just giving them fair warning. Not everyone is comfortable with their own transformation into a wild-eyed, root-eating, otter-kicking hermit of old school.
    Last edited by bosssmiley; 2010-02-13 at 11:44 AM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by bosssmiley View Post
    Mind how you go with this simplification lark. Before you know it you'll be falling back in love with B/X D&D and decrying WOTC versions of D&D as insanely complex snark hunts.
    You say that as if it were a bad thing.
    I use black for sarcasm.

Call me Rose, or The Rose Dragon. Rose Dragon is someone else entirely.

If you need me for something, please PM me about it. I am having difficulty keeping track of all my obligations.