New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Question Magic Stone + Giants Wrath?

Can you combine the druid spells Magic Stone and Giants Wrath to get a magically enhanced Boulder?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Re: Magic Stone + Giants Wrath?

What is giant's wrath in?
    Quote Originally Posted by Alabenson
    Evil Intelligence is knowing the precise ritual that will allow you to destroy the peaceful kingdom that banished you.

Evil Wisdom is understanding that you probably shouldn’t perform said ritual while you’re standing in the estimated blast radius.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Question Re: Magic Stone + Giants Wrath?

Quote Originally Posted by BobVosh View Post
    What is giant's wrath in?
    Spell Compendium. Its the spell that allows you to throw a pebble and it becomes a boulder.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

I'd say yes.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Magic stone says the pebbles may be no larger than sling bullets. Arguably the magic stone spell might be suppressed when the pebbles get bigger.
    So you never have to interrupt a game to look up a rule again:
    My 3.5e Rules Cheat Sheets: Normal, With Consolidated Skill System
    TOGC's 3.5e Spell/etc Cards: rpgnow / drivethru rpg
    Utilities: Magic Item Shop Generator (Req. MS Excel), Balanced Low Magic Item System
    Printable Cardstock Dungeon Tiles and other terrain stuff (100 MB)

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ericgrau View Post
    Magic stone says the pebbles may be no larger than sling bullets. Arguably the magic stone spell might be suppressed when the pebbles get bigger.
    This is probably the sanest interpretation, I think.
    Last edited by Jack_Simth; 2010-02-14 at 10:22 AM.
    Of course, by the time I finish this post, it will already be obsolete. C'est la vie.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm pretty sure this works, since the pebbles were a legal target when Magic Stone was cast. Although by strict RAW, Giant's Wrath is absolutely worthless, since it uses the stones as material components and therefore annihilates them.
    The following errors occurred with your search:

1. This forum requires that you wait 300 seconds between searches. Please try again in 306 seconds.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Worira View Post
    I'm pretty sure this works, since the pebbles were a legal target when Magic Stone was cast. Although by strict RAW, Giant's Wrath is absolutely worthless, since it uses the stones as material components and therefore annihilates them.
    So how does the spell work? Does it create new boulders after destroying old?

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

By RAW, it flat-out doesn't work. It's a level three spell that could be called "Destroy Pebbles." Any sane DM would rule otherwise, of course. If they were particular about rules, they might houserule that the pebbles are focuses.
    Last edited by Worira; 2010-02-14 at 12:16 PM.
    The following errors occurred with your search:

1. This forum requires that you wait 300 seconds between searches. Please try again in 306 seconds.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Bugbear in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Perhaps the pebbles are not consumed until they turn into boulders?

Besides it likely wouldn't matter as a focus or material component since ammo has a 50% chance of being destroyed on a miss or is destroyed on a hit.

Ex. 50ton boulder of Indestructium tossed at a goblin 10ft away. It hits and the ammo is consumed... Ridiculous
    The accuracy of this post is questionable

The Endless Dungeon

The Neverending Dungeon
    Spoiler
    Show

Renewal A fantasy/post-apocalyptic/new world setting WIP

11. - Top - End - #11
    Barbarian in the Playground

BardGuy

Or throw it at the ground in front of you for instant rubble. I don't know, maybe you could use that tactic to make difficult terrain or something.
    What D&D Character would I be?
    Spoiler
    Show

Lawful/Good Human Wizard/Sorcerer (2/2)
    Str - 14
    Dex - 17
    Con - 15
    Int - 16
    Wis - 15
    Cha - 18
    Hmmm.. Not too shabby. I think I'd do pretty well. Who knows?

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by lvl 1 sharnian View Post
    Perhaps the pebbles are not consumed until they turn into boulders?

Besides it likely wouldn't matter as a focus or material component since ammo has a 50% chance of being destroyed on a miss or is destroyed on a hit.

Ex. 50ton boulder of Indestructium tossed at a goblin 10ft away. It hits and the ammo is consumed... Ridiculous
    Ammo does... but many thrown weapons don't. If you throw a dagger at someone, it doesn't shatter on impact - likewise, a javelin. Then the question becomes: Which is a boulder "more like" - ammo, or a thrown weapon?
    Of course, by the time I finish this post, it will already be obsolete. C'est la vie.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Worira View Post
    By RAW, it flat-out doesn't work. It's a level three spell that could be called "Destroy Pebbles." Any sane DM would rule otherwise, of course. If they were particular about rules, they might houserule that the pebbles are focuses.
    I don't see why having the pebbles be material components is so outrageous, seeing as how it's magic. Having the boulders disappear after 1round/level seems like a really good way to prevent abuse, imo.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by faceroll View Post
    I don't see why having the pebbles be material components is so outrageous, seeing as how it's magic. Having the boulders disappear after 1round/level seems like a really good way to prevent abuse, imo.
    material components don't disappear when the spell ends, they disappear when the spell is cast.

that is, you have a spell whose entire effect is to destroy a pebble with no actual effect. this is because the person who wrote it made an ERROR and misinterpreted the rules.
    it should have said "focus" not "material component" because of the difference between the two. The spell is basically self contradictory with the result being that "nothing happens" when you cast it by the raw. kind of like how monks are (by the raw) not proficient with their own fists.
    However, every sane DM will rule against that. So the spell actually works.
    Last edited by taltamir; 2010-02-14 at 07:45 PM.
    I do not have a superman complex; for I am God, not Superman!

the glass is always 100% full. Approximately 50% of its volume is full of dihydrogen monoxide and some dissolved solutes, and approx 50% a mixture of gasses known as "air" which contains roughly (by volume) 78.08% nitrogen, 20.95% oxygen, 0.93% argon, 0.038% carbon dioxide, and trace amounts of other gases.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by taltamir View Post
    material components don't disappear when the spell ends, they disappear when the spell is cast.

that is, you have a spell whose entire effect is to destroy a pebble with no actual effect. this is because the person who wrote it made an ERROR and misinterpreted the rules.
    it should have said "focus" not "material component" because of the difference between the two. The spell is basically self contradictory with the result being that "nothing happens" when you cast it by the raw. kind of like how monks are (by the raw) not proficient with their own fists.
    However, every sane DM will rule against that. So the spell actually works.
    Doesn't specific trump general, so in this case the components aren't consumed?

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by faceroll View Post
    Doesn't specific trump general, so in this case the components aren't consumed?
    Yes, but doesn't apply, as the spell description doesn't specify that the components don't vanish on casting.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jack_Simth View Post
    Yes, but doesn't apply, as the spell description doesn't specify that the components don't vanish on casting.
    exactly. had the specifically specifically said that in this case it is a material component that isn't consumed, then this would have been the case.

there are several spells that DO specifically say that the "focus" is destroyed when the spell end, or that the "material component" is consumed later on or in a specific manner. This one doesn't... but we assume that they meant to say that and rule by RAI that it works instead of the spell doing nothing.
    I do not have a superman complex; for I am God, not Superman!

the glass is always 100% full. Approximately 50% of its volume is full of dihydrogen monoxide and some dissolved solutes, and approx 50% a mixture of gasses known as "air" which contains roughly (by volume) 78.08% nitrogen, 20.95% oxygen, 0.93% argon, 0.038% carbon dioxide, and trace amounts of other gases.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Bugbear in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Jack_Simth View Post
    Ammo does... but many thrown weapons don't. If you throw a dagger at someone, it doesn't shatter on impact - likewise, a javelin. Then the question becomes: Which is a boulder "more like" - ammo, or a thrown weapon?
    Ammo according to catapult operators and giants
    The accuracy of this post is questionable

The Endless Dungeon

The Neverending Dungeon
    Spoiler
    Show

Renewal A fantasy/post-apocalyptic/new world setting WIP