Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

BardGirl

Default Feral Druid [3.X]

Hi Playground

I am creating a new character for a campaign Im in. My previous character, a cleric, went into negatives 3 times in one battle. The group is not very optimized, and our GM throws some pretty hardcore encounters at us. I don't want to outshine everyone, but we could use some extra power.

I decided that I wanted to play a nature-guy who rips people apart with his "bear hands".

Im thinking a druid with the feral template from savage species, but Im not too keen on the wild shape part. And Im not sure how wild shaping would interfere with the (su) abilities from feral.
    Is feral considered too good for LA+1?

We are playing a 3.0 and 3.5 mixup, and everything has to go by the GM, but all books are in principle fine. We are playing level 3 right now.

Does anyone have any ideas?
    English is my second language, but I will be more than happy to explain myself in Danish.

2. - Top - End - #2

Default Re: Feral Druid [3.X]

Quote Originally Posted by Incorrect View Post
    And Im not sure how wild shaping would interfere with the (su) abilities from feral.
    Wild Shape says nothing about losing your abilities in when in a different form, so I imagine you'd keep them.
    It's been a bit, GitP. If you're reading this, you're either digging through old stuff, or I've posted for the first time in forever.

If you want to stay in touch, reach out to me on twitter (same username).

The best answer is always to ask your DM.
    Unless you're the DM, in which case you should talk to your players.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Feral template may or not may be powerful depending on your reading of it, If you read as you get all the abilities based on your class HD then YES it is a Powerful borderline broken template for a LA+1, if you read it as only your racial HD count, then it is IMHO a good template.

Since the Feral template has some good bonus to your primary score WIS whith a penalty to a so so score INT it is an exelent template for a druid (more if you can buy-off the LA.

As for the abilities I think you keep the ones that don't overlap, for exaple you keep the fast healing in all forms, but may loose the claws if you wild shape into an animal that doesn't have claws such as an.. octopus.

Also if you don't wnat to overshadow the party you might want to check the shapeshift variant in PH II

Hope that helps
    Just call me Dusk

Dming: Eyes of the Lich Queen IC OOC

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Could just play a feral totemist if you have access to Magic of Incarnum.
    Last edited by Boci; 2010-02-14 at 02:29 PM.
    "It doesn't matter how much you struggle or strive,
    You'll never get out of life alive,
    So please kill yourself and save this land,
    And your last mission is to spread my command,"

Slightly adapted quote from X-Fusion, Please Kill Yourself

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

BardGirl

I will start looking at shapeshift variant and totemist.

Do keep the advice comming
    English is my second language, but I will be more than happy to explain myself in Danish.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

BardGirl

Has anyone made a "fix" of the Feral template?
    Understandably my GM thinks its a bit overpowered.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Barbarian in the Playground

Realize the difference between racial HD and class HD and it's no longer that strong.

I suggest Wild Shape Ranger. Lets you be more martially focused and keep full BAB and stuff. And don't forget to pick up IUS so you can make iteratives in animal form!

8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground

BardGirl

Is the wild shape ranger worth it?
    I mean its only the basic form of wild shape (small and medium)

I will probably offer to only take 1HD of feral, it suits my needs fine. Although Improved grab with -20 grapple modifier kinda sicks.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Incorrect View Post
    Is the wild shape ranger worth it?
    I mean its only the basic form of wild shape (small and medium)

I will probably offer to only take 1HD of feral, it suits my needs fine. Although Improved grab with -20 grapple modifier kinda sicks.
    Wildshape Ranger qualifies you for Master of Many Forms easily, which in turn gets you the other size categories. That's usually what Wildshape Ranger does; focuses entirely on Wildshape (as opposed to Druid who also casts and has pet and all that).
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.