New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

Default Practiced spellcaster

Secrets of the Forge (Ex): A battlesmith learns some of the great dwarven secrets of forging weapons and armor. A battlesmith receives Craft Magic Arms and Armor as a bonus feat, regardless of her caster level. Multiply the battle smith’s class level by 3 to determine her effective caster level for the purpose of creating magic arms and armor (this benefit stacks with any other caster levels the battlesmith might have).
    Practiced spellcaster says "Your caster level for the chosen spellcasting class increases by +4."
    Would practiced spellcaster increase the Secrets of the Forge ability? Even if its not technically a spellcasting class.
    Last edited by Splendor; 2010-02-14 at 08:52 PM.
    Always attack a man’s strengths, No one ever expects you to attack the strongest part of the fort. Up the middle that’s where the action is. And it’s the same in life. Don’t run away, attack them head on as their coming at you at full speed. Because that my friend is living.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Practiced spellcaster

Quote Originally Posted by Splendor View Post
    Would practiced spellcaster increase the Secrets of the Forge ability? Even if its not technically a spellcasting class.
    PS only increases a spellcasting class by 4 (up to Character level).

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

Yes, but it would add after the multiplication, like so: (BS x 3) + 4.

And even then, it couldn't rise above your hit dice Character Level.

Edit: Fixed, and Ninja'd to boot.

~R~
    Last edited by Raiki; 2010-02-14 at 08:57 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

What if I took practiced spellcaster before I took a level in battlesmith? Would my caster level be 4?
    Always attack a man’s strengths, No one ever expects you to attack the strongest part of the fort. Up the middle that’s where the action is. And it’s the same in life. Don’t run away, attack them head on as their coming at you at full speed. Because that my friend is living.

5. - Top - End - #5

HalflingRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Splendor View Post
    What if I took practiced spellcaster before I took a level in battlesmith? Would my caster level be 4?
    Do you have a spell casting class that is less than your character level? If not then the feat doesn't apply at all
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Drascin View Post
    DM: "And now you descend into the mazelike tunnels, where no light save for what magic you bring will illuminate your path, as you search for-"
    Player: "I'm preparing Teleport twice each day."
    DM: "...and there goes the tension by the window"

Spoiler
    Show
    I Am A: Lawful Good Human Ranger (3rd Level)
    Ability Scores
    Strength: 15
    Dexterity: 18
    Constitution: 16
    Intelligence: 16
    Wisdom: 16
    Charisma: 14

6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Wouldn't beneficial stacking come into play here? Like Battlesmith 1 has CL 3
    but takes Practiced Spellcaster. Normally that would be CL 7, but due to beneficial stacking that could be CL 15?
    The accuracy of this post is questionable

The Endless Dungeon

The Neverending Dungeon
    Spoiler
    Show

Renewal A fantasy/post-apocalyptic/new world setting WIP

7. - Top - End - #7
    Pixie in the Playground

Daemon

They wouldn't stack, unless you have a spellcasting class, since practiced spellcaster only applies to a spellcasting class, which battlesmith is not. The battlesmith caster level only applies for purposes of creating arms and armor, not for qualifying for feats.

If you had a prior spellcasting class, then it depends. The battlesmith bonus on its own could push you above your HD in caster level, but as far as I know, there aren't stacking rules to determine the order the bonuses are applied in, so which is checked first would be determined by your DM.

In short, I think you'll need a house rule.

8. - Top - End - #8

Quote Originally Posted by Splendor
    No, Practiced Spellcaster does not give you a caster level, it only improves on your existing one. Hence why you must choose an existing Spellcasting Class for it to improve upon.

Quote Originally Posted by lvl 1 sharnian View Post
    Wouldn't beneficial stacking come into play here? Like Battlesmith 1 has CL 3
    but takes Practiced Spellcaster. Normally that would be CL 7, but due to beneficial stacking that could be CL 15?
    No, for two reasons.

1) As has been said, Practiced Spellcaster can only apply to a spellcasting class, which Battlesmith is not. But I consider this a somewhat weak point, since Battlesmith gives you an effective caster level, and you don't actually need a caster level to qualify for Practiced Spellcaster- it's prereq is Spellcraft 4 ranks, nothing else.

As a DM, I would honestly be OK with allowing a player to apply Practiced to their Battlesmith caster level, because I define 'Spellcasting Class' to be any class that has a caster level, not necessarily a class that can cast a given spell. Battlesmith is just a highly specialized and focused spellcaster, that can only perform one feat of magic, i.e. crafting enchanted armor and weaponry.

But...

2) Practiced Spellcaster modifies your caster level, not your effective class level for determining effective caster level. In this case, Battlesmith's class ability determines your effective caster level to be (Battlesmith level x3), and Practiced Spellcaster improves it after, by up to +4 or your Hit Dice, whichever comes first.

As an aside:

Quote Originally Posted by Devils_Blind
    The battlesmith caster level only applies for purposes of creating arms and armor, not for qualifying for feats.
    You don't need a caster level to apply for Practiced Spellcaster. This is an issue that would affect your ability to take many feats, yes, but Practiced Spellcaster can be taken by anyone. It can't be used, sure, without a spellcasting class level...
    Last edited by Abd al-Azrad; 2010-02-14 at 09:35 PM.
    That is not dead which can eternal lie
    And with strange aeons even death may die.

Expand for quotes.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Sophismata View Post
    You are a bad, bad man, Abd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycanthromancer View Post
    'Psionics' is just tapping into the core of magic within yourself, whereas the mumbo-jumbo dancing, gibbering, and flinging around esoteric material components is like trying to paint-by-numbers when the guy next to you is rendering works from Picasso by memory alone.

Abd's contribution to the Animate/End A World project.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

You'd need a spellcasting class... eg Wizard 1. Then you could Practised Spellcaster the Wizard to Wizard 5, which would stack with the (Battlecaster x 3) caster levels.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sophismata View Post
    You'd need a spellcasting class... eg Wizard 1. Then you could Practised Spellcaster the Wizard to Wizard 5, which would stack with the (Battlecaster x 3) caster levels.
    This.

I believe when order is not specified, the player chooses. Im not aware of any specific ruling on the order of stacking in this instance, so it should be fine.

While cool, it's not obscenely crazy, either. I'd certainly allow it as a DM.