New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

Question Building a Spontanious caster.

I'm working on a "Sorcerer" build and would like some advice. Keep in mind that it uses the generic spellcaster base class from UA instead of actual sorcerer. I've always felt UA caster is a better fit for the fluff and feel of what the sorcerer is supposed to be. Also this helps with the lack of a willing healer in our group as I can take spells from the Sorc/wiz, cleric and druid lists.

10 level Caster build
    Spoiler
    Show

UA Generic Caster-5 /MPSS-3 /Arcane Trickster-2

Human- Imp. Init.
    Flaw-Versatile Spellcaster
    UAC1-Heighten Spell
    HD1-Reach Spell
    HD3-Chain Spell
    UAC5-Easy Metamagic: Chain
    HD6-Arcane Thesis: Launch Bolt
    MPSS2-Fell Drain
    HD9-Rapid Metamagic
    AT2-Quicken Spell

Key Spells:
    Launch Bolt
    Thunderhead
    Divine Power
    Magic missile

NOTES:
    -The loss of a caster level is a bit steep, but without Arcane Trickster-2, I won't have enough feats to do what I want. Acceptable unless it can be easily replaced
    -Magic Missile and Thunderhead are to make best use of Fell Drain, but I wouldn't mind other options, or any advice on making Thunderhead better
    -Reach+Chained Launch bolt comes out to a 2nd level spell at level 6 that fires 9 bolts at once. At level 7 this goes to 10 (CL=7, +2 from Arcane Thesis + the original bolt targeted) bolts as a 1st level spell. Divine Power helps them hit
    -If I can make use of a metamagic Storm around level 5, I could free up a feat (maybe reach)
    -I have no idea what to take for the last 10 levels. Incantatrix maybe? I dunno, what do you think? I honestly don't think this build needs that kind of power boost.
    Last edited by Vizzerdrix; 2010-02-17 at 07:19 AM.
    ,,,,^..^,,,,

Quote Originally Posted by Haldir View Post
    Edit- I understand it now, Fighters are like a status symbol. If you're well off enough to own a living Fighter, you must be pretty well off!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Default Re: Building a Spontanious caster.

I know that it's my (and possibly other's) interpretation and you really should check with your DM, but if your concern is healing, it can be allowed for a sorcerer to choose cure spells.

The class-feature for the sorcerer spells says "A sorcerer casts arcane spells which are drawn primarily from the sorcerer/wizard spell list." so you could ask to have cleric(or bard if you/DM insists on technically arcane spells) cure spells added to available spells.

This also goes for other cleric and druid spells.

I put a lot of leverage on the word "primarily", but I do it because I think sorcerers are underpowered(commence slandering ).