New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Confusion about the ability-gain Tomes

We all know and love the Tomes/Manuals of gain X ability +1-5, and I have a question;

If you read a +1 tome, then a +2, then +3, Then +4, then +5, all for the same ability, would you gain a +15 bonus?
    I have a band!
    Spoiler
    Show

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Confusion about the ability-gain Tomes

No. Inherent Bonuses don't stack. You would only gain the largest bonus.

3. - Top - End - #3

Based on how that's never suggested, I am left to assume that the bonuses are treated as non-stacking bonuses, in which only the highest would apply. So if you you used a +1 Tome and then a +2 Tome, your bonus would be +2.

EDIT: Ninja. Figures.
    Last edited by drengnikrafe; 2010-02-18 at 12:57 AM.

4. - Top - End - #4

If it was me, I'd say that reading a +1 Tome and then a +2 Tome would give you a +3 bonus. They are priced linearly instead of quadratically anyway, and it avoids the annoying incentive to hold out for a +4 or +5 Tome.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Inherent bonuses, like all other named bonuses, do not stack, only the greater bonus applies. Also, inherent bonuses are capped at 5. The Wish spell elaborates on the rules.
    "Sometimes, we’re heroes. Sometimes, we shoot other people right in the face for money."

-Shadowrun 4e, Runner's Companion

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Yeah, the only named bonuses that stack are Dodge and (occasionally) Circumstance.
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A good DM, however, should hopefully let you buy a +1 tome, and then pay the difference to increase the bonus to +2, rather than having to buy the whole cost of the +2 and wasting the money you spent on +1.
    Proudly without a signature for 5 years. Wait... crap.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by lsfreak View Post
    A good DM, however, should hopefully let you buy a +1 tome, and then pay the difference to increase the bonus to +2, rather than having to buy the whole cost of the +2 and wasting the money you spent on +1.
    That is certainly a valid houserule, though I don't think a DM is bad if they don't enforce it. The Tomes are just like any other magic item. You can buy a +5 flaming longsword now, or wait until you have more money to purchase a +5 holy flaming longsword. Saving money now helps in the future, same with the manuals and tomes.

And as Hawkeye mentioned, dodge bonuses always stack, and circumstances stack when they come from different circumstances. All other named bonuses do not stack.
    "Sometimes, we’re heroes. Sometimes, we shoot other people right in the face for money."

-Shadowrun 4e, Runner's Companion

9. - Top - End - #9
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheOOB View Post
    That is certainly a valid houserule, though I don't think a DM is bad if they don't enforce it. The Tomes are just like any other magic item. You can buy a +5 flaming longsword now, or wait until you have more money to purchase a +5 holy flaming longsword. Saving money now helps in the future, same with the manuals and tomes.
    Except weapon enchantments are quadratic and tomes are linear.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Except that nothing keeps you from taking that +5 flaming longsword and adding holy to it at a later date. Same with taking your cloak of resistance +1 and making it +2, +3, +4, and +5 once you can afford it. Tomes are one of the only things without rules explicitly laid out for upgrading.
    Proudly without a signature for 5 years. Wait... crap.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Firbolg in the Playground

And as Hawkeye mentioned, dodge bonuses always stack, and circumstances stack when they come from different circumstances. All other named bonuses do not stack.
    Except with swords, you can get them upgraded and pay the difference. Every magic item with a variable bonus works that way, actually. Check your local MIC for details.

Zeal's Tier System for PrC's
    Zeal's Expanded Alignment System
    Zeal's "Creative" Build Requests
    Bubs the Commoner
    Zeal's "Minimum-Intervention" balance fix
    Feat Point System fix (in progress)

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by JadePhoenix View Post
    sonofzeal, you're like a megazord of awesome and win.
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    SonOfZeal, it is a great joy to see that your Kung-Fu remains undiminished in this, the twilight of an age. May the Great Wheel be kind to you, planeswalker.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGirl

Except you can't sell or improve a Tome.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Optimystik View Post
    Your Tainted Scholar builds look fun, but I'm lactose intolerant
    You're just trying to get more people into your sig, aren't you
    Quote Originally Posted by ShneekeyTheLost View Post
    Seeing TO by Magic9Mushroom is like seeing a movie with Joss Wheaton as director... you know that it's worth watching, even if you do want to strangle the bastard by the time you're done with it.

13. - Top - End - #13

Quote Originally Posted by magic9mushroom View Post
    Except you can't sell or improve a Tome.
    Well it is still a regular book afterwards so you can sell it for the price of a mundane book. With an amazing bluff you might convince an absent-minded nobleman to buy it after you use it....

But then you have a nobleman for an enemy...

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Xenogears View Post
    Well it is still a regular book afterwards so you can sell it for the price of a mundane book. With an amazing bluff you might convince an absent-minded nobleman to buy it after you use it....

If you are at a level where you can get Tomes of ability increase, then the nobleman is not at the top of your list of "People I'm afraid of."

15. - Top - End - #15

Quote Originally Posted by Frosty View Post
    If you are at a level where you can get Tomes of ability increase, then the nobleman is not at the top of your list of "People I'm afraid of."
    The guild of wizardly assassins (as in wizards who are assassins not assassins who kill wizards) they hire are on the top of that list however.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

The guild of wizardly assassins (as in wizards who are assassins not assassins who kill wizards) they hire are on the top of that list however.
    You're a high level caster. Kill/Charm/Dominate/Do whatever to the nobleman beforehand. Heck, why are you selling stuff to him anyways? Go into his house and loot his vault.

17. - Top - End - #17

You're a high level caster. Kill/Charm/Dominate/Do whatever to the nobleman beforehand. Heck, why are you selling stuff to him anyways? Go into his house and loot his vault.
    What part of "awesome bluff check" says I'm a caster?

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

What part of "awesome bluff check" says I'm a caster?
    Sorcerer or Beguiler or Bard or Warlock?

Also, lotsa classes with awesome bluff abilities also have awesome Disguise abilities.
    Last edited by Frosty; 2010-02-18 at 09:00 PM.

19. - Top - End - #19

Sorcerer or Beguiler or Bard or Warlock?

Also, lotsa classes with awesome bluff abilities also have awesome Disguise abilities.
    Well I know a lot of caster-classes can have high bluff scores but so can a lot of mundane classes. Also even if you kill/charm/dominate etc. the noble whose to say his uncle doesn't get pissed?

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGirl

It doesn't change the fact that you cannot legitimately sell Tomes and recoup a large portion of your investment like you can a Cloak of Charisma.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Your Tainted Scholar builds look fun, but I'm lactose intolerant
    You're just trying to get more people into your sig, aren't you
    Quote Originally Posted by ShneekeyTheLost View Post
    Seeing TO by Magic9Mushroom is like seeing a movie with Joss Wheaton as director... you know that it's worth watching, even if you do want to strangle the bastard by the time you're done with it.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

Ah, but that's part of the invisible cost of the +1 to +4 tomes. Sure, you'll save money in the long run if you wait, but the lesser tomes let you be more powerful now. Allowing tomes to stack (up to +5 max total) is fine as a houserule, but warning your players that they might want to wait is also fair. And be aware that if you let them stack you are in fact giving PCs free money in the form of early power.
    So you never have to interrupt a game to look up a rule again:
    My 3.5e Rules Cheat Sheets: Normal, With Consolidated Skill System
    TOGC's 3.5e Spell/etc Cards: rpgnow / drivethru rpg
    Utilities: Magic Item Shop Generator (Req. MS Excel), Balanced Low Magic Item System
    Printable Cardstock Dungeon Tiles and other terrain stuff (100 MB)

22. - Top - End - #22

This is why I ban inherent bonuses. +10 ability enhancers instead!

/non sequitur

23. - Top - End - #23
    Banned

Tomes are exceptionally powerful items, as they offer a unique and permanent way to boost scores in the game that, after character creation, are hard to change. Their pricing structure isn't surprising.