Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default [3.5] Celestial Familiar

Hi,
    I persuaded my DM to allow a celestial familiar (BoED). As a level 10 LG wizard I opted for a lantern archon. I do have some questions, though:
    i) CL. The archon has some spell-casting ability via its spell-like abilities. These are listed in SRD as being CL 3. Does the familiar's CL follow that of the master, in this case 10?
    ii) Death. If a celestial familiar is snuffed out, being an outsider it cannot, by raw, be rezzed, right?
    Goodness gracious, Great Balls of Fire!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: [3.5] Celestial Familiar

It can if you have True Resurrection (PHB) or Revive Outsider (Spell Compendium).
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

3. - Top - End - #3
    Banned

Neither of which are available to Wizards so, you know, don't let it die.

It you must have a celestial familiar, Coure Eladrin is easily the best one - they are in BoED as well.

As for SLAs, the SRD states that the caster level of those only follows the creature's hit dice if no caster level is given in the ability itself. If it does give the SLA's caster level, use that.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Thank you both for replies
    Quote Originally Posted by Optimystik View Post
    It you must have a celestial familiar, Coure Eladrin is easily the best one - they are in BoED as well.
    Coure Eladrins are, by raw, for CG and I'm LG. Also, I like the balls of light. Oh, I fully expect to get into all sorts of trouble, eg when trying to sneak in the darkness . Ach, get into the bag, ye wee bugger! We've got to get past unnoticed!

Quote Originally Posted by Optimystik View Post
    As for SLAs, the SRD states that the caster level of those only follows the creature's hit dice if no caster level is given in the ability itself. If it does give the SLA's caster level, use that.
    Well, that would settle it then: SLA is mentioned as being CL3 for the norm lantern archon. Wonder if I could slip this one by the DM...
    Goodness gracious, Great Balls of Fire!

5. - Top - End - #5

Quote Originally Posted by Clovis View Post
    Thank you both for replies

Coure Eladrins are, by raw, for CG and I'm LG. Also, I like the balls of light. Oh, I fully expect to get into all sorts of trouble, eg when trying to sneak in the darkness . Ach, get into the bag, ye wee bugger! We've got to get past unnoticed!

Well, that would settle it then: SLA is mentioned as being CL3 for the norm lantern archon. Wonder if I could slip this one by the DM...
    There's nothing stopping you from having a NG Coure. Still legal, unless they also have the Chaotic subtype (in which case a Ritual in SS is needed to remove that subtype, but even with it they can be any alignment). Remember: Always doesn't always mean Always in DnD 3.5.