Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 57
  1. - Top - End - #1

    Default Helping a Stubborn PC [Eberron 3.5]

    I know, but this ISN'T me. My buddy wants to run a Soulknife/Fighter and be "Mr. Melee." However, he wants ME to design it (first campaign, and his parents gave him the psionics trio). He said he won't play if he's not a soulknife BC. I considered Warblade/Soulknife just to stave his agression, but then I had a weird epiphany:

    Race: Chosen (Psychic Human from SoS)
    Classes: Soulknife 5/Fighter5/Iaijutsu Master 10/
    Feats: Skill Focus: Iaijutsu Focus, Weapon Focus Tree for both mindblade and for Bastard Sword, Exotic Weapon Proficiency: Bastard Sword

    I think this could somehow help stave his rabid screeching

  2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Starbuck_II's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Enterprise, Alabama
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Helping a Stubborn PC [Eberron 3.5]

    Quote Originally Posted by LichPrinceAlim View Post
    I know, but this ISN'T me. My buddy wants to run a Soulknife/Fighter and be "Mr. Melee." However, he wants ME to design it (first campaign, and his parents gave him the psionics trio). He said he won't play if he's not a soulknife BC. I considered Warblade/Soulknife just to stave his agression, but then I had a weird epiphany:

    Race: Chosen (Psychic Human from SoS)
    Classes: Soulknife 5/Fighter5/Iaijutsu Master 10/
    Feats: Skill Focus: Iaijutsu Focus, Weapon Focus Tree for both mindblade and for Bastard Sword, Exotic Weapon Proficiency: Bastard Sword

    I think this could somehow help stave his rabid screeching
    Needs more Bloodline (in UA from SRD).

    Assuming no Bloodline:
    Fighter 5: Why would anyone take an odd Fighter level?
    Wouldn't Soulknife 6, Fighter 4 be smarter? That extra Soulknife level gives a concrete ability but not Fighter.

  3. - Top - End - #3

    Default Re: Helping a Stubborn PC [Eberron 3.5]

    Quote Originally Posted by Starbuck_II View Post
    Needs more Bloodline (in UA from SRD).

    Assuming no Bloodline:
    Fighter 5: Why would anyone take an odd Fighter level?
    Wouldn't Soulknife 6, Fighter 4 be smarter? That extra Soulknife level gives a concrete ability but not Fighter.
    1. DM banned Bloodline classes.

    2. Then Fighter 4. I just wanted him to exit Soulknife AFTER the ability to shape it as a katana-esq blade

  4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Mongoose87's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Helping a Stubborn PC [Eberron 3.5]

    I recommend Soulknife 1/Wizard and PRCs19.
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Ring of Evasion means never playing a monk with monk levels again. There is just no reason to dip that stuff. I know we're all about using every part of the buffalo here, but can we just admit that it's inedible?

  5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Starbuck_II's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Enterprise, Alabama
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Helping a Stubborn PC [Eberron 3.5]

    Required Feats: Exotic Weapon Proficiency: Bastard Sword, Quick Draw, Improved Initiative
    Reccommended: Skill Focus: Iaijutsu Focus

    Does Weapon Focus: Mindblade count as Weapon Focus: Form it is in? Because then you don't need Weapon Focus: Katana for Prc.

  6. - Top - End - #6

    Default Re: Helping a Stubborn PC [Eberron 3.5]

    Soulknife's "quick draw mock" covers it for the Prereqs

    and as for Weapon Focus, Mind Blade counts as Both a katana and as a Mind Blade (ie: its a "unique" bastard sword)

  7. - Top - End - #7
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Wings of Peace's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Helping a Stubborn PC [Eberron 3.5]

    Build him the character as a Psychic Warrior who uses Soulbound Weapon and just tell him it's a Soulknife.
    Doc Roc: We're going to eat ourselves.

  8. - Top - End - #8

    Default Re: Helping a Stubborn PC [Eberron 3.5]

    Quote Originally Posted by Wings of Peace View Post
    Build him the character as a Psychic Warrior who uses Soulbound Weapon and just tell him it's a Soulknife.
    He said SPECIFICALLY against that ACF

  9. - Top - End - #9
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Wings of Peace's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Helping a Stubborn PC [Eberron 3.5]

    Can he shape his Mindblade into a Gnome Quickrazor at the least?
    Doc Roc: We're going to eat ourselves.

  10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    AslanCross's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Metro Manila, Philippines
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Helping a Stubborn PC [Eberron 3.5]

    Wow, he's pretty stubborn. Since you're in Eberron, you can suggest a Kalashtar Soulknife/Warblade/Atavist, since the Atavist and Kalashtar Soulknife substitution levels in Races of Eberron can make the Soulknife slightly more playable. If I'm not mistaken, Kalashtar Soulknife Lv 1 gives an alternative feature to Wild Talent as a bonus feat, because Kalashtar are naturally psionic and don't need it.

    I'm AFB right now so I can't suggest any immediate builds, but really---Fighter 4 isn't really worth it if you're only going to get the Weapon Focus tree. Fighter 4 will get you 3 extra feats. Warblade 4 will stack with Soulknife for initiator level AND get more maneuvers.

    Stick to Diamond Mind maneuvers for flavor. Those I suggest are:
    -Moment of Perfect Mind: a must for any warblade who doesn't want to get charmed, dominated or otherwise Save-or-Sucked.
    -Emerald Razor: Great at offsetting the BAB problem. (I also love renaming this maneuver to 'Will Knife'; cookie to those that get the reference.)
    -Insightful Strike: For when the mind blade just isn't doing enough damage.

    Supplement with the Tiger Claw maneuvers for the leaping.


    Eberron Red Hand of Doom Campaign Journal. NOW COMPLETE!
    Sakuya Izayoi avatar by Mr. Saturn. Caella sig by Neoseph.

    "I dunno, you just gave me the image of a nerd flying slow motion over a coffee table towards another nerd, dual wielding massive books. It was awesome." -- Marriclay

  11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Boston, MA

    Default Re: Helping a Stubborn PC [Eberron 3.5]

    Quote Originally Posted by LichPrinceAlim View Post
    He said SPECIFICALLY against that ACF
    Did he give a reason? His request seems oddly narrow.

  12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    AslanCross's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Metro Manila, Philippines
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Helping a Stubborn PC [Eberron 3.5]

    Ok, I have my Races of Eberron book with me.

    I'd go with Kalashtar Soulknife 5/Warblade 5*/Atavist 10*.
    *You can switch these; in fact I'd recommend that if the player wants to be more aggressive.

    Kalashtar Soulknife 5: Take the 1st and 3rd racial substitution levels. Psychic strike is superfluous since you have martial maneuvers anyway. Purifying Strike might help a charmed or dominated ally. Soulknife 5 gets the Bastard Sword mind blade shape.

    Warblade 5: Diamond Mind is your friend, but you can also benefit from Iron Heart.

    Atavist only advances the Soulknife's Mind Blade bonus to attack and damage, so it's ok to sacrifice this for more Warblade levels. I would at least get up to Atavist 5, though, since you can get reach boost with Spiritual Focus.

    If the campaign is quori-heavy, you could still go Warblade 8/Atavist 7.

    Feats:
    1 Soulblade Warrior (probably the bread and butter of any Kalashtar Soulknife)
    1B Weapon Focus (Mind Blade)
    3 Spiritual Force (psionic equivalent of the Divine Might feat: Cha to damage); either that or Psionic Weapon.
    6 Speed of Thought

    Most of your offense will come from your maneuvers, so you can focus on Psionic Feats. The Path of Shadows -> Dancing with Shadows tree isn't much use to a Soulknife, but you might want to look into it.

    It's not a horribly optimal build, but it can still get things done.


    Eberron Red Hand of Doom Campaign Journal. NOW COMPLETE!
    Sakuya Izayoi avatar by Mr. Saturn. Caella sig by Neoseph.

    "I dunno, you just gave me the image of a nerd flying slow motion over a coffee table towards another nerd, dual wielding massive books. It was awesome." -- Marriclay

  13. - Top - End - #13

    Default Re: Helping a Stubborn PC [Eberron 3.5]

    1. He doesn't want to "screw with psionics," plus the DM banned any class that "openly uses power points"

    2. I thought more for a visual of the Ronin who IS his weapon. He'd be sitting @ the tavern when some punks decide to mug him. Next thing they know, the leader's head is the new main course on a silver plate.

  14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Boston, MA

    Default Re: Helping a Stubborn PC [Eberron 3.5]

    Quote Originally Posted by LichPrinceAlim View Post
    1. He doesn't want to "screw with psionics," plus the DM banned any class that "openly uses power points"
    He banned that in an Eberron campaign? Why?

    Ok. I guess just soul knife would be fine. Would a psychic warrior who just buffed himself count as openly using powerpoints?
    My homebrew:

    Spoiler
    Show


    Completed:
    ToB disciplines:

    The Narrow Bridge
    The Broken Blade

    Prestige classess:
    Disciple of Karsus -PrC for Karsites.
    The Seekers of Lost Swords and the Preserver of Future Blades Two interelated Tome of Battle Prcs,
    Master of the Hidden Seal - Binder/Divine hybrid
    Knight of the Grave- Necromancy using Gish



    Worthwhile links:

    Age of Warriors

  15. - Top - End - #15

    Default Re: Helping a Stubborn PC [Eberron 3.5]

    Quote Originally Posted by JoshuaZ View Post
    He banned that in an Eberron campaign? Why?

    Ok. I guess just soul knife would be fine. Would a psychic warrior who just buffed himself count as openly using powerpoints?
    The DM barely understands the system, and thus disallows it for PC usage. Trust me: if it wasn't for that noise, I'd be a Wilder/Metamind/Arch Psion!

    and yes. basically, for now, psionics in the form of manifesting is banned.

  16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Dusk Eclipse's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Runite
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Helping a Stubborn PC [Eberron 3.5]

    Quote Originally Posted by JoshuaZ View Post
    He banned that in an Eberron campaign? Why?

    Ok. I guess just soul knife would be fine. Would a psychic warrior who just buffed himself count as openly using powerpoints?
    I'd say yes, considering all Psywar buffs NEED PP expenditure

    Though I agree that banning psionics in an Eberron campaing is a ver WEIRD thing, I mean AFAIK Eberron and Darksun are the only campaing setting where Psionics is something common (well as common it can be in a magi-tech society like eberron as for Dark Sun, I am not familiar with it)
    Just call me Dusk
    Avatar by Ceika

    Dming: Eyes of the Lich Queen IC OOC


  17. - Top - End - #17

    Default Re: Helping a Stubborn PC [Eberron 3.5]

    Quote Originally Posted by Dusk Eclipse View Post
    I'd say yes, considering all Psywar buffs NEED PP expenditure

    Though I agree that banning psionics in an Eberron campaing is a ver WEIRD thing, I mean AFAIK Eberron and Darksun are the only campaing setting where Psionics is something common (well as common it can be in a magi-tech society like eberron as for Dark Sun, I am not familiar with it)
    In Dark Sun, everyone and their Grandmother is Psionic. Everyone gets a free Wild Talent feat IIRC. You are right though, it makes no sense to ban Psionics in a campaign where an entire continent is devoted to Psionic creatures. And two planes of existence.


    Talk to your DM, find out why they are banned.

  18. - Top - End - #18

    Default Re: Helping a Stubborn PC [Eberron 3.5]

    Quote Originally Posted by Sinfire Titan View Post
    In Dark Sun, everyone and their Grandmother is Psionic. Everyone gets a free Wild Talent feat IIRC. You are right though, it makes no sense to ban Psionics in a campaign where an entire continent is devoted to Psionic creatures. And two planes of existence.


    Talk to your DM, find out why they are banned.
    He has two major reasonings:

    1. He barely comprehends the Power Point system (he never plays RPG video games)

    2. With what he gathered, he claims Psionics is easy to break and is overpowered and too complex for his players (one of which is his twelve-year old brother)

  19. - Top - End - #19
    Pixie in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Helping a Stubborn PC [Eberron 3.5]

    As per the player, I say screw him. If he won't play if he can't play something the DM has banned, then he shouldn't play. That simple.

    Granted, I'm jaded. One of the guys in my local group NEVER builds his own character - partially because we've switched to a homebrew GURPS system, but he's had literally years to learn how to do it, plus we made a self calculating excel character sheet: how hard can it possibly be?

    The important part, however, is that kind of player is the kind of guy who forgets to take bonus languages at character creation, and then "Oops - I have to choose a language" as soon as you encounter a script that the party can't read.

  20. - Top - End - #20

    Default Re: Helping a Stubborn PC [Eberron 3.5]

    Quote Originally Posted by Flaming Nun View Post
    As per the player, I say screw him. If he won't play if he can't play something the DM has banned, then he shouldn't play. That simple.

    Granted, I'm jaded. One of the guys in my local group NEVER builds his own character - partially because we've switched to a homebrew GURPS system, but he's had literally years to learn how to do it, plus we made a self calculating excel character sheet: how hard can it possibly be?

    The important part, however, is that kind of player is the kind of guy who forgets to take bonus languages at character creation, and then "Oops - I have to choose a language" as soon as you encounter a script that the party can't read.
    But we'd be short one set of hands. Trust me, my Dm's got a bad habit of putting us in TPK territory and letting us use our wits just to survive.

    For instance: Last meeting (note, EVERYONE died, but not by his hand), we were in Hell facing a Half-Red dragon balor in a volcano. We all failed the checks to determine precisely what dragon he was. So I, the Ghoul Monk lept up on him like a spider monkey hopped up on Mt. Dew and kicked him into the mouth of the volcano. He survived, and I, in a last ditch move, punched the mountain as hard as i could. Needless to say, a Nat. 20 caused an eruption, killing the Balor and all of us along with him...

  21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Boston, MA

    Default Re: Helping a Stubborn PC [Eberron 3.5]

    Quote Originally Posted by LichPrinceAlim View Post
    He has two major reasonings:

    1. He barely comprehends the Power Point system (he never plays RPG video games)

    2. With what he gathered, he claims Psionics is easy to break and is overpowered and too complex for his players (one of which is his twelve-year old brother)
    So he doesn't understand the system but is convinced that it is broken?

    Grr. Power points are really simple and psionics are far more balanced than arcane magic.

    The rules are simple: You get a certain number of points daily. You spend them to use powers. You can spend more on certain powers to make them better. You can't pay more power points than your manifesting level. There's nothing here more complicated than subtraction. If a 12 year old can't do subtraction there's a more serious problem here.
    My homebrew:

    Spoiler
    Show


    Completed:
    ToB disciplines:

    The Narrow Bridge
    The Broken Blade

    Prestige classess:
    Disciple of Karsus -PrC for Karsites.
    The Seekers of Lost Swords and the Preserver of Future Blades Two interelated Tome of Battle Prcs,
    Master of the Hidden Seal - Binder/Divine hybrid
    Knight of the Grave- Necromancy using Gish



    Worthwhile links:

    Age of Warriors

  22. - Top - End - #22
    Pixie in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Helping a Stubborn PC [Eberron 3.5]

    Quote Originally Posted by LichPrinceAlim View Post
    Needless to say, a Nat. 20 caused an eruption, killing the Balor and all of us along with him...
    Wait - so you are powerful enough to punch a mountain and make it explode...but not so much so as to avoid some lava raining on you?

  23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Anxe's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Davis, California
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Helping a Stubborn PC [Eberron 3.5]

    The best build for a Soulknife is to go into Pyrokineticist. That's only if your DM lets the two ability sets stack though.

  24. - Top - End - #24
    Banned
     
    DragoonWraith's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Helping a Stubborn PC [Eberron 3.5]

    A DM decided to make an off-the-cuff houseruling on the effects of a PC getting a nat-20 and made it kill the entire party?

    Seriously?

  25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Boston, MA

    Default Re: Helping a Stubborn PC [Eberron 3.5]

    Quote Originally Posted by DragoonWraith View Post
    A DM decided to make an off-the-cuff houseruling on the effects of a PC getting a nat-20 and made it kill the entire party?

    Seriously?
    Yeah. I'm going echo being appalled at that. And why the heck should punching a volcano cause it to erupt? That doesn't even make sense. A natural 20 should be an unusually lucky hit. Even if someone really strong punches a volcano repeatedly, they aren't going to make it erupt. And certainly not 1 every 20 punches causing an eruption. And to then do something like that that would cause the party to die? I'm liking this DM less and less the more I heard about the person.
    My homebrew:

    Spoiler
    Show


    Completed:
    ToB disciplines:

    The Narrow Bridge
    The Broken Blade

    Prestige classess:
    Disciple of Karsus -PrC for Karsites.
    The Seekers of Lost Swords and the Preserver of Future Blades Two interelated Tome of Battle Prcs,
    Master of the Hidden Seal - Binder/Divine hybrid
    Knight of the Grave- Necromancy using Gish



    Worthwhile links:

    Age of Warriors

  26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Sanguine's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    The Elemental Pole of Oil
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Helping a Stubborn PC [Eberron 3.5]

    Quote Originally Posted by JoshuaZ View Post
    Yeah. I'm going echo being appalled at that. And why the heck should punching a volcano cause it to erupt? That doesn't even make sense. A natural 20 should be an unusually lucky hit. Even if someone really strong punches a volcano repeatedly, they aren't going to make it erupt. And certainly not 1 every 20 punches causing an eruption. And to then do something like that that would cause the party to die? I'm liking this DM less and less the more I heard about the person.
    Not to mention even if all of these decisions were logical(which they aren't) a Monk's Evasion should have saved his ass unless he had an abysmal reflex.
    Avatar by Elagune

  27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    absolmorph's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    A place with no pants

    Default Re: Helping a Stubborn PC [Eberron 3.5]

    Quote Originally Posted by LichPrinceAlim View Post
    But we'd be short one set of hands. Trust me, my Dm's got a bad habit of putting us in TPK territory and letting us use our wits just to survive.

    For instance: Last meeting (note, EVERYONE died, but not by his hand), we were in Hell facing a Half-Red dragon balor in a volcano. We all failed the checks to determine precisely what dragon he was. So I, the Ghoul Monk lept up on him like a spider monkey hopped up on Mt. Dew and kicked him into the mouth of the volcano. He survived, and I, in a last ditch move, punched the mountain as hard as i could. Needless to say, a Nat. 20 caused an eruption, killing the Balor and all of us along with him...
    That IS dying by his hand.
    He made your Nat 20 SUPER EFFECTIVE to the point that it killed you all. How is that NOT all on him?
    Some men just want to watch the world shift uncomfortably in its seat.
    Spoiler
    Show

    Quote Originally Posted by Kylarra View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by absolmorph View Post
    I happen to like screwing around with Handle Animal.
    Red Mage, is that you?
    Quote Originally Posted by Rawhide View Post
    Now you're cranking it up to eleven.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimonite View Post
    A week ago, I didn't know who you were. Now I know: you're the BEST PERSON EVER.
    Quote Originally Posted by noparlpf View Post
    You seem to be having trouble with the idea that a rulebook can contradict itself, because it shouldn't, but...WotC.

    If you're reading this for some reason, you can find me in a few places on the web as azoicennead.

  28. - Top - End - #28
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    deuxhero's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Fl

    Default Re: Helping a Stubborn PC [Eberron 3.5]

    Go psywarrior with the spiritual weapon mind's eye ACF.

  29. - Top - End - #29
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Mongoose87's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Helping a Stubborn PC [Eberron 3.5]

    Quote Originally Posted by deuxhero View Post
    Go psywarrior with the spiritual weapon mind's eye ACF.
    Read the thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Ring of Evasion means never playing a monk with monk levels again. There is just no reason to dip that stuff. I know we're all about using every part of the buffalo here, but can we just admit that it's inedible?

  30. - Top - End - #30
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    deuxhero's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Fl

    Default Re: Helping a Stubborn PC [Eberron 3.5]

    The 3.0 soulknife prestige class!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •