New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Tricky Warblade/Paladin Dilema

I have this paladin in my campaign who, while usually using weapons, has and will gotten/get into several unarmed battles (For the advantage for non-lethal battles), as he is filled with pent-up rage and anger. I need some sort of signifigant thing to represent that, but I'd prefer not to use prestige classes, if you have seen one or make one that fits this dilema really well, I'll use it, though.
    So basically, I'm looking for something that makes sense for a paladin that frequently unarmed fights, but not as a standard means of combat, but rather as a sort of twist to the character. Also, I meant punching and grappling, you know, that sort of thing.
    Beautiful avatar by Mr_Saturn
    Quote Originally Posted by Maximum Zersk View Post
    ...I think that counts as your own Crowning Moment of Awesome, WP.
    Thank you's:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Lovely avatar of an NPC in Camp Half-Blood of mine by Crimson Angel:
    Thanks to Green Bean for my Spheal avatar.

Also thanks to VT for awarding me with a VT monster competition award.

Four internets and a cookie!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Tricky Warblade/Paladin Dilema

Quote Originally Posted by waterpenguin43 View Post
    So basically, I'm looking for something that makes sense for a paladin that frequently unarmed fights, but not as a standard means of combat, but rather as a sort of twist to the character. Also, I meant punching and grappling, you know, that sort of thing.
    Have you taken much as far as Tiger Claw maneuvers go? Those seem like the easiest ways of representing this.

Otherwise, maybe retrain to the Half-Orc Paladin sub level in Races of Destiny. You probably don't match for the race, but it's fitting.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

If you have IUS (i'd hope you do if you fight unarmed regularly) how about taking Snap Kick (ToB)? It'd give a twist to his unarmed fighting and you could fluff that extra attack and loss of accuracy was due to releasing his anger upon his hapless foes.
    At the heart of all beauty lies something inhuman, and these hills, the softness of the sky, the outline of the trees at this very minute lose the illusory meaning with which we clothed them, henceforth more remote than a lost paradise.
    -Camus, An Absurd Reasoning

Fourth Doctor avatar courtesy of Szilard

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

To cover the 'unarmed' part, Improved Unarmed Strike, or a single level in unarmed swordsage, mostly picking up stuff from Setting Sun (note form optimization standpoint, take two levels and before your 4th level of warblade; this nets you a 3rd level warblade stance much earlier than you'd normally get one).

For the anger part, you can just roleplay that out. No need for added mechanics. Really, you probably don't *need* the stuff for unarmed attacks, it's just really annoying to have a character known for hand-to-hand but that still provokes on every attack. You can roleplay all this still without ever doing anything special mechanics-wise.
    Last edited by lsfreak; 2010-02-18 at 11:41 PM.
    Proudly without a signature for 5 years. Wait... crap.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Like I said in the other thread, if you don't want to dedicate feats and class levels to it, (making it less optimal but still doable) a monk's belt will do the job fairly nicely.

If you're talking about actually dedicating real resources into a build, IUS, Superior Unarmed Strike, and dips into unarmed swordsage are all options. Heck, add snap kick in, throw in some maneuvers, and do the dubious "improved natural attack" stacking, and you can pretty much forgo a weapon entirely.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

Chimera

If swordsage is not possible, splash 2 lvs of monk for IUS, paving the way for improved grapple, superior unarmed strike and snap kick. As a bonus, you also get good saves and evasion (though it will probably be canceled out by your armour).