A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2
You can get A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2 now at Gumroad
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Community World-building Project: Viridia (The Green Realm)

Plant and Fungus Pantheon

Lumuu
    Spoiler
    Show
    Lumuu
    Greater Deity (Neutral Good)
    Lumuu is considered a benevolent father-figure to all the surface-swelling plants. He grants his nourishing glow to all his children equally, from the lowliest beggar to the mightiest lord, from the angry blasphemer to the most dutiful of priests. He is life itself to those of the surface. To the fungus, however, he is seen as a needlessly gaudy deity.
    Portfolio: Life, light, day
    Domains: Good, Knowledge, Plant, Radiance, Sun
    Symbol: A golden sun.
    Cleric Training: Clerics of Lumuu are NEVER sought actively. Priests who attempt to convert others are often viewed poorly by the rest of the clergy. Priests of Lumuu absolutely must join of their own free will, without any sort of coercion.
    Quests: Followers of Lumuu generally find themselves safeguarding life in all it's forms, though the life of plants are placed the highest. A typical task bestowed by Lumuu would be defending a bush or grazer settlement against a fire assault, or putting down a particularly violent fire warlord.
    Prayers: Prayers to Lumuu are not showy or even out loud, mostly. Prayer takes the form of silent meditation in full sunlight, contemplating the light and heat Lumuu provides.
    Temples: Every bush city has at least one temple of Lumuu, and almost every grazer settlement has one as well. Often, they are simply large pagodas the priesthood has covered with climbing vines. The priesthood typically wanders the city during the day, laying out whatever blessings they can to the townsfolk, leaving their most powerful at the pagoda to help those who seek them out.
    Rites: The rite of Lumuu most commonly practiced is a daily gong rung in the temple pagoda at high noon. When the gong is sounded, city-dwellers are expected to pause in whatever task they are doing and turn their faces to the sun and mentally give thanks to Lumuu for his continued gifts.
    Favored Weapon: Heavy Mace

Lerios
    Spoiler
    Show
    Lerios
    Fungi see Lerios as a wise father whose innumerable children light the night sky as stars. When their time comes, he sends them down as shooting stars. He teaches his fungus children to raise, protect, and nurture their brothers. Surface plants often see Lerios as a pale imitation of Lumuu who contributes nothing.
    Portfolio: Fungus, Night, Protection
    Domains: Darkness, Fungus, Good, Knowledge, Moon
    Symbol: A full Moon
    Cleric Training: Followers of Lerios are trained in a direct line. Up to two prospective priests will be assigned to follow and learn under a full priest until they are ready to become full priests, a process taking several years.
    Quests: Quests for Lerios may range from protecting a fungus settlement to uncovering a lost bit of lore, or even seeking out one of Lerios' fallen children.
    Prayers: Prayers to Lerios take the form of long, wordless and haunting intonations that, depending on the size of the congregation, can carry for miles through the echoing tunnels. It is not uncommon that a lost fungus in the tunnels will find his way back to civilization following the sound of a prayer.
    Temples: Temples to Lerios are subtle things, looking much like any other building in a fungus city, though there is always a full moon emblazoned over the front door.
    Rites: Lerios may be invoked to bless a library or a new trade chimney, and his blessings take the form of subtle, reverent prayers said within the entrance way.
    Favored Weapon: Light Mace

Lumar
    Spoiler
    Show
    Lumar
    Intermediate Deity (Chaotic Good)
    Lumar is considered to be Lumuu's first son, and is in charge of weather of all sorts. His younger siblings may manage the individual types of weather, but Lumar is in charge of dictating which sibling goes where, and maintaining the general balance of weather to any one place.
    Portfolio: Wind, Clouds, Storms, Rain
    Domains: Air, Plant, Travel, Water, Weather
    Symbol: A cloud with three raindrops within it.
    Cleric Training: Clerics of Lumar generally start their training in the temples of Lumuu. They generally are self-taught thereafter, as they are expected to go on a journey thereafter, meditating and contemplating the weather and the clouds until they have spent a month of days in the rain, a month of days in the sun, a month of days in cold, and a month of days in heat. The cleric hopefuls are only allowed the most simple of protections from the weather on their journey.
    Quests: The tasks of those who follow Lumar are genrally to correct imbalances or nourish new life. To bring water to a drought-stricken settlement, to disrupt what forces might keep a city in perpetual rains, or to help restore a forest after a particularly violent fire attack.
    Prayers: All prayers to Lumar are in shouted exaltation. If it's loud enough to echo on a clear day, Lumar may hear it and respond.
    Temples: Temples to Lumar are generally near, if not sharing space with temples of Lumuu. They tend to be similar to temples of Lumuu, but smaller, and more open. A cleric of Lumar will rarely attempt to seek shelter from harsh weather, only the most furious of storms can scare them under a pagoda.
    Rites: The rites of Lumar are musical and and loud as possible. Drums and horns are popular choices. Often, though unintentional, these prayers for rain or blessings for crops become impromptu celebrations.
    Favored Weapon: Javelein

Lerian
    Spoiler
    Show
    Lerian
    Intermediate Deity (Lawful Good)
    Lerian is the first-sent god, the Hidden gift from Lerios. Lerian dwells enshrined in the Fungus capital city, though his fragments are found in the hands of every one of his clerics, and in every one of his temples. His form is that of a massive geode, larger than some buildings, filled to the brim with deep green crystals that glow with an inner light. Those who touch the crystals often find themselves miraculously healed.
    Portfolio: Healing, gems, magic
    Domains: Earth, Fungus, Healing, Luck, Magic
    Symbol: A shard of Lerian's gems, or, if that is not available, a circle with a starburst in the middle, piercing the edges.
    Cleric Training: Clerics of Lerian learn in hospitals. They start as initiates, serving the mundane tasks of the hospital, learning the ways of the physician, picking up what knowledge they can. Then, they learn the basics of healing magic and graduate into priesthood. From their, their authority within the hospital is based on seniority and power.
    Quests: The quests undertaken by the followers of Lerian are pilgramages of healing and magic. To cure a plague, to treat a sickly ruler, to abolish a monster of filth of some sort, or root out the cause of a mysterious ill.
    Prayers: Prayers to Lerian are usually made in person. Most fungus make a pilgrimage at least once in their lifetime to visit Lerian's resting place and feel the healing energy. Most make the trip upon their first sickness after reaching adulthood.
    Temples: Temples to Lerian double as hospitals. Clergy staff and maintain these places of healing, in most fungus cities. A high priest is in charge of each hospital, while the next senior priest aids in the ceremonies at the temple of Lerios.
    Rites: Lerios' rites revolve around healing. The clergy knows a few simple blessings and rites for blessing and protecting, but the vast majority of their knowledge is healing. One of the most popular rituals is a small one, with the close family and friends laying hands in turn on a patient to lend their strength.
    Favored Weapon: Morningstar

Sinaug
    Spoiler
    Show
    Sinaug, The Grand Redwood
    Intermediate Deity (Lawful Evil)
    The grand redwood is a god-kind of all trees. He is the oldest, largest, and most powerful of all trees. Trees largely beleive the Lumuu has shown his hand of favoritism by allowing Sinaug to grow to his current size. He is the unquestioned ruler of all trees and rules with an ironwood fist. It is rumored that those trees that might someday grow large enough to topple his might are silently eliminated, but so much as speaking such a baseless rumor of the god-king is blasphemy. The trees either cannot or refuse to see the darker side of their lord.
    Portfolio: Trees, Growth, War, Slavery
    Domains: Law, Plant, Strength, War
    Symbol: A massive tree with three smaller trees at it's base.
    Cleric Training: Clerics of Sinaug begin their training with a personal trip to see the Great Redwood himself. He explains to the young trees their place in the world, and the role of all lesser beings. From there, The high Priest of Sinaug trains them in the proper methods of worship for a year, before sending them on their way. Sinaug DOES accept followers of the lesser races, though they are obviously expected to know their place in the order of things, and whether or not they worship him, they are expected to act as the slaves they are.
    Quests: Followers of sinaug have two rather broad guideposts to guide their actions. To destroy any settlement of lesser races that does not respect their proper place, and to obey the orders of any larger tree. They may also be used to speed the spread of forest into a flamescar.
    Prayers: Prayers to Sinaug require long strings of praise before the desired prayer is uttered, then a similar degradation of one's self compared to The Great Redwood at the end.
    Temples: Most trees have a small shrine of some sort to Sinaug. There is only one true 'temple' though, and that is the place where the high priest trains the lesser priests to follow, near Sinaug's sacred grove.
    Rites: Rites of sinaug are generally blessings before battle or praise after a successful battle. Sometimes, a tree will sacrifice lesser races to the glory of Sinaug should they dare intrude on his territory.
    Favored Weapon: Greatclub
    Last edited by Admiral Squish; 2010-03-31 at 06:12 PM.
    My Homebrew
    Five-time champion of the GITP monster competition!

Current Projects:
    Crossroads: the New World: A pathfinder campaign setting about an alternate history of North America, where five empire collide in a magical land full of potential. On the road to publication!

Epic Avatar and Sigitar by AlterForm
    Spoiler
    Show

2. - Top - End - #212
    Bugbear in the Playground

Ulirasha
    Spoiler
    Show

Ulirasha is the peaceful and kindly goddess of rain. She battles the violent and destructive lord of flame with peace and protection, sending her rains to stop forest fires befroe they grow to intense, she also uses her water elementals to deal knowledge to plants and fungi to keep them safe. Both fungus and plants pay respects to her, though their primary deities receive more worship. The exception is the Cephmyan, which are her most faithful followers. She is Lumar's mother.
    Portfolio: Love, Water, Wisdom.
    Domains: Mind, Water, Weather, Good, Charm.
    Symbol: A water droplet.
    Cleric Training: The most peaceful and docile of beings decide to devote themselves to her, and they preach pacifism and fighting violence with peace.
    Quests: A cleric of Ulirasha will receive quests furthering the well being of rain and water in general, seeking out a friendly water weird, planting mangroves, and warning of fire elementals to come are good examples.
    Prayers: A prayer of Ulirasha is frequently delivered with both a plant and a water elemental, often by meditating then making a poem together, to encourage growth in friendship among plants and water elementals.
    Temples: Clerics of Ulirasha generally form their temples around the sea, preferably under a cover of mangroves.
    Rites: Ulirasha's rites generally involve celebration at rain. The main rite of hers is celebrated every spring, where her clerics plant a mangrove while chanting to their goddess.
    Favored Weapon: Trident

The (of course) water elemental goddess of my creation is here. If anyone cares for her, thank you very much.
    Last edited by waterpenguin43; 2010-03-18 at 10:27 PM.
    Beautiful avatar by Mr_Saturn
    Quote Originally Posted by Maximum Zersk View Post
    ...I think that counts as your own Crowning Moment of Awesome, WP.
    Thank you's:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Lovely avatar of an NPC in Camp Half-Blood of mine by Crimson Angel:
    Thanks to Green Bean for my Spheal avatar.

Also thanks to VT for awarding me with a VT monster competition award.

Four internets and a cookie!

3. - Top - End - #213
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

As a goddess of both rain and Water Elementals, doesn't she kinda step on the toes of both Lumar and Pohloh? (Not that they actually have toes. :P) Though I suppose the pantheon is lacking in the goddess department. If she is Lerian's Mother, would some Water Elementals also worship Lerian?
    Last edited by Lizard Lord; 2010-03-18 at 10:35 PM.

4. - Top - End - #214

Quote Originally Posted by Lizard Lord View Post
    As a godess of both rain and water elementals, doesn't she kinda steps on the toes of both Lumar and Pohloh? (Not that they actually have toes. :P) Though I suppose the pantheon is lacking in the goddess department. If she is Lerian's Mother, would some Water Elementals also worship Lerian?
    Good point. Sorry, but I felt a very, VERY powerful urge to add a goddess. Plus, I always thought of Water as NG, Fire as NE, Air as CN and Earth as LN. Also, I meant to say Lumar.
    Last edited by waterpenguin43; 2010-03-18 at 10:27 PM.
    Thank you's:
    Spoiler
    Show

5. - Top - End - #215

I do agree there should likely bee more goddesses. Perhaps a few of the low-ranking cloud deities are feminine? I'm not sure making the ungendered embodiments of the elements suddenly have genders is a wise plan.

Also, some of her domains don't exist to my knowledge. Portfolio is the abstract ideas, domains need a list.

I was going to do the elemental gods earlier, but it's late, I'm tired, and tomorrow is just as free.
    My Homebrew

Current Projects:
    Crossroads: the New World: A pathfinder campaign setting about an alternate history of North America, where five empire collide in a magical land full of potential. On the road to publication!

Spoiler
    Show

6. - Top - End - #216

Quote Originally Posted by Admiral Squish View Post
    I do agree there should likely bee more goddesses. Perhaps a few of the low-ranking cloud deities are feminine? I'm not sure making the ungendered embodiments of the elements suddenly have genders is a wise plan.

Also, some of her domains don't exist to my knowledge. Portfolio is the abstract ideas, domains need a list.

I was going to do the elemental gods earlier, but it's late, I'm tired, and tomorrow is just as free.
    D&D itself does it (looks dissaprovingly at Ishtishia and co.)

Mind and Weather are from Complete Divine, and Charm is from Spell Compendium.
    Thank you's:
    Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #217

Quote Originally Posted by waterpenguin43 View Post
    D&D itself does it (looks dissaprovingly at Ishtishia and co.)

Mind and Weather are from Complete Divine, and Charm is from Spell Compendium.
    Ah, well.. Mention that. I have to many books to look them all up.

>.>

I'M NOT A MORON! T.T
    Last edited by Admiral Squish; 2010-03-19 at 07:48 PM.
    My Homebrew

Current Projects:

Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #218

I'M NOT A MORON! T.T
    A fact that makes us different, it seems.
    Thank you's:
    Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #219
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Since there is a weather domain, Lumar should be updated to have it. Also, if Lerian's form is a rock should she have the Earth domain?
    Last edited by Lizard Lord; 2010-03-20 at 01:37 AM.

10. - Top - End - #220
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Since there has yet to be even one Earth Elemental Race I decided to try it. This would be the first race I ever home brewed.
    Spoiler
    Show

Chiseled
    Spoiler
    Show

The Chiseled are a humanoid branch of the Earth Elemtenals that are sent on diplomatic missions with their plant neighbors.
    Physical Description
    The Chiseled are about the same height as a Mandragora. Their gemstone-like eyes vary in colors of green, blue, red, purple, orange, and amber. The stone that consists of the majority of their body is either gray or brown. Most have allowed moss or grass to grow on them as a sign of their affection towards the plants.
    Society
    The Chiseled are groomed to be diplomats at a very young age. It is frowned upon, if not strait out forbidden for a Chiseled to achieve any other profession.
    Relations
    The Chiseled get along well with most of the plant races, even the trees. The hunters are an exception, however, as their loner nature makes them hard for the Chiseled to understand. This tends to make the Chiseled uneasy around most hunters. They are also strained from the non-earth elementals.
    Alignment and Religion
    Nearly all chiseled worship Rono as the chief diety of the Earth Elementals. They tend to be either Lawful or Good alignment, though their open minded nature usually makes them part neutral.
    Adventurers
    Chiseled adventurers are allowed, and even encouraged by Earth Elemental society. This is due to the belief that the work they do for the plant races will make them easier to negotiate with. Chiseled adventurers tend to be druids due both to their closeness to Earth and their friendship to the plants.

The Chiseled are a humanoid branch of the Earth Elemtenals that are sent on diplomatic missions with their plant neighbors. The Chiseled are about the same height as a Mandragora. Their gemstone-like eyes vary in colors of green, blue, red, purple, orange, and amber. The stone that consists of the majority of their body is either gray or brown. Most have allowed moss or grass to grow on them as a sign of their affection towards the plants.
    Chiseled 3.5 Racial Statistics
    Medium Elemental (Earth)
    +2 Constitution, -2 Dexterity, +2 Charisma, -2 Intelligence. As Earth Elementals, the Chiseled are hardy but slow creatures. They have a natural affinity towards social skills, but have some trouble grasping other concepts.
    Speed: 20 ft
    Hard as a rock: Chiseled have a +2 natural armor bonus.
    Stability: A Chiseled gains a +4 bonus on ability checks made to resist being bull rushed or tripped when standing on the ground (but not when climbing, flying, riding, or otherwise not standing firmly on the ground).
    Chiseled have a +2 bonus to hide checks in wooded or rocky areas.
    Chiseled have a -2 penalty to move silently checks.
    Darkvision 60 ft
    Automatic Languages: Common and Terran. Bonus Languages: Mandragon, Apilan, Fungal, Lycos, Sylvan, Tree
    Favored Class: Druid
    Last edited by Lizard Lord; 2010-03-22 at 03:00 PM.

11. - Top - End - #221

Elemental Pantheon

Alemar
    Spoiler
    Show
    Alemar
    Intermediate Deity (Chaotic neutral)
    Alemar is the king of air elementals. He sits upon a titanic throne of clouds deep within the elemental chaos. He is bold and creative at his best, but at his worst, he is spiteful on a whim. Some claim he is a mad god, but his followers simply say he's simply too free-thinking to bother with the usual methods. Alemar himself has no comment on this beyond a grin.
    Portfolio: Wind, Sky, Clouds
    Domains: Air, Chaos, Travel, Trickery
    Symbol: A spiral, either two-dimensional or a carved vortex.
    Cleric Training: Clerics of Alemar learn their rites and prayers directly from elder elementals. For the plants, this can be a challenge, since they need to come into air settlements to learn them, which entails climbing a mountain or learning some permanent way to fly.
    Quests: Alemar's quests are strange and convoluted, forcing his followers to think fluidly. Only very rarely are his quests what they appear to be on the surface. Sometimes, they seem pointless, but there is nearly always a meaning hidden beneath the obvious.
    Prayers: Prayers to Alemar are all spoken in Auran, and are almost always improvised. There is an underlying structure to each prayer, but the details must be be fresh and new each time. Repetitive prayers have a tendency to fall on deaf ears.
    Temples: Temples to Alemar are much more common within air settlements, though they do pop up in some of the larger bush or grazer cities. Most oases in the desert usually have a small shrine of some sort devoted to Alemar.
    Rites: Rites to Alemar Come in the form of elaborate dances performed by groups of the clergy. Such rites may be performed for nearly any reason, as long as the clergy agrees to it.
    Favored Weapon: Longbow

Kazar
    Spoiler
    Show
    Kazar
    Intermediate Deity (Chaotic Evil)
    Kazar is the lord of flames, the god of all fire elementals. He is a cruel, spiteful diety, with little to no empathy for the plants his armies torch, even the smart ones. In fact, more often than not, he will orchestrate attacks specifically to target plant cities. He dwells in an eternal inferno in the elemental chaos, a titanic fiery whirlwind. From there, he orders his lords and their vassals in their eternal burning conquest of all plant life of Viridia.
    Portfolio: Cruelty, Betrayal, Destruction.
    Domains: Chaos, Death, Destruction, Fire, War, Wrath.
    Symbol: A leaf engulfed in flames.
    Cleric Training: Plant Clerics of Kazar usually are self-trained with the aid of obscure documents and tomes of flame. They generally try to save themselves from the flames by sacrificing their fellows to fire, becoming valuable infiltrators into plant cities. Fire clerics learn the trade from higher, more powerful elementals back on the elemental chaos.
    Quests: Kazar's quests are straight-forward. They almost universally revolve around burning a city, a farm, a powerful tree, etc. Most often he doesn't plan these things well, merely sends masses of his servants to overwhelm any defenses in place.
    Prayers: Prayers to Kazar are harsh-sounding things spoken in ignan. Most plants actually use some of the simpler ones as curses, while true worshippers only dare to whisper them.
    Temples: Temples to Kazar reside in every fire stronghold. Some plant cities may have them, but they tend to be small and hidden, buried underground or secreted away in a locked room.
    Rites: Rites to Kazar involve fire. From burning incense and candles in simple ones to massive bonfires and firey sacrifices. They are generally battle-blessings of one sort or another.
    Favored Weapon:Scimitar

Pohloh
    Spoiler
    Show
    Pohloh
    Intermediate Deity (Lawful Neutral)
    Poloh is the ruler of water elementals and dwells in the deepest icy seas of the elemental chaos. She and her most powerful servants reside within the largest depository of knowledge in the multiverse. She demands one thing from her subjects: knowledge. Knowledge great and small from every corner of the chaos and every city and down in Viridia.
    Portfolio: Knowledge, Oceans, Cold
    Domains: Knowledge, Magic, Ocean, Water
    Symbol: An open book with a frothy surf at both sides.
    Cleric Training: Clerics of Pohloh learn the art in a number of colleges located directly over the border of sea and shore. Initiate students study in the land-based segments. Once they are powerful enough to know thew basics and the quitters are weeded out, they are given tokens of water breathing and allowed to study in the submerged segments.
    Quests: Followers of Pohloh are guided by the principle that knowledge is power. Pohloh usually asks her followers to uncover lost or hidden secrets, or perhaps retreive rare artifacts and creatures for study by her clerics.
    Prayers: Prayers to Pohloh are in Aquan. They usually are direct readings from her prayerbook spoken in a rigid cadence.
    Temples: Temples to pohloh are found in most cities and farms, and every oasis in the desert has at minimum a small shrine to her. Usually, they are part temple part library, with clerics and worshipers acting as librarians and protectors to the knowledge stored within. While the worship of Pohloh is not required to use the library, the librarians are known to be less than helpful to those seeking books without offering some manner of offering in turn to the mistress of secrets.
    Rites: Rites of pohloh bless colleges and places of learning, as well as smaller things. For example, a scholar could ask a cleric of pohloh to bless his essay before publishing it.
    Favored Weapon: Trident

Rono
    Spoiler
    Show
    Rono
    Intermediate Deity (Lawful Good)
    Rono is the strict but fair ruler of the earth elementals. His throne is hollowed out of a solid diamond large enough to seat his massive form, itself laid deep with a rocky mountain in the elemental chaos. From there, he rules over the affairs of earth and stone all through the elemental chaos and Viridia.
    Portfolio: Stone, Gems, Law.
    Domains: Earth, Law, Protection, Strength
    Symbol: A gemstone.
    Cleric Training: Clerics of Rono learn in strict academies. They demand a strict regimen of physical and combat training before they even begin to teach the real worship. Once the clerics have grown accustomed to the order and structure, they advance as a group the to the next phase of training, and will remain in the previous step until all the initiates of a group have caught up the group.
    Quests: Quests for Rono are varied, but all very straightforward. Perhaps he will call upon his followers to defend a shipment of plant-waste on it's path to the fungal kingdom. Perhaps there is a particularly rare or valuable gemstone Rono would like to add to his collection. Whatever it is, one can expect his clerics to formulate a plan for the operation before the quest is even relayed.
    Prayers: Prayers to Rono are in Terran. They take the forms of long-rehearsed rhythmic chants and call-and-repeat cadences.
    Temples: Temples to Rono exist in most fungus towns and a good portion of surface plant cities. They are all virtually identical, apart from wear and tear. Very square and regular contruction, with gemtone-studded centerpieces.
    Rites: Rites to Rono can be any number of things. Typically, preists of Rono are called upon to bless new constructions, or croplands. Sometimes, preists will bless mines that seek out rare minerals or gems as well. The rites themselves take the form of drum performances and ritual, choreographed sparring.
    Favored Weapon:Warhammer

Sulzar
    Spoiler
    Show
    Sulzar
    Minor Deity (True neutral)
    Rono and Kazar had fought once. Kazar had caused a volcanic eruption, destroying an Earth settlement as a result. Rono wished to see Kazar punished for this crime. During the battle their Elemental energies clashed and mixed together. Sulzar the Ash Lord was born amidst the battle between the two Elemental lords. Both Gods looked at Sulzar with disgust and the Ash God fled from them. After that the Gods agreed to never directly fight each other. He has since been hiding, even from the Gods. There has since been multiple interpretations of Sulzar amongst the mortals. The Earth Elementals either worship him as the son of Rono or hate him as a sign of Kazar's evil. The Fire Elementals either worship him as the child of Kazar or fear him as the god of death for their kind. The Creepers worship him as a God of stealth. The Goams see him as a God of death that, unlike Kazar, desires balance rather then destruction.
    Portfolio: Darkness, Death, Fire, Earth, Trickery
    Domains: Ash, Death, Stealth, Balance
    Symbol: A black symbol with left half being a roaring flame and the right half being a round stone.
    Cleric Training:Elemental followers learn from their Elders. Plant followers will either learn from an Earth Elemental, or a high priest. Sulzar hates extremists like his "parents". He sees Kazar as an insane murderer, that desires only destruction. He sees Rono as stiff and self righteous, caring only about his own sense of morality. Sulzar will not allow his clerics to be such extremists, and as such they must be part neutral.
    Quests: The quests of Sulzar vary. As the Son of Kazar, followers are expected to burn down forests and turn them to ash. Followers of the Son of Rono fight Fire Elementals, and keep them away from Earth Elemental borders. As a God of Death, clerics are sent to hunt down the blighted or ember born. The Creepers send their clerics to hunt dangerous prey or spy on the Elemental kingdoms.
    Prayers: There is no clear way to pray to Sulzar, even within the different interpretations of him.
    Temples: Temples to Rozar are vastly different in appearance in each settlement that has them, though they have a pit of Ashes in the center of their main room.
    Rites: The graduation rite for a priest of Rozar is one of the few things all the interpretations have in common. The clerics do a dance around a dieing fire and then smear the ashes on the face of the new initiate.
    Favored Weapon: Dagger
    Last edited by Admiral Squish; 2010-04-11 at 11:56 PM.
    My Homebrew

Current Projects:

Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #222
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

I decided to make a creature that is basically to the trees what kobolds are to dragons. I thought they needed a weaker minion.
    Spoiler
    Show

Juniperan

Juniperans are the smallest and weakest of trees. They are often also called "Tree Runts". They live under the rule of larger and stronger trees in a hope of gaining a small part of the glory the tree empire is destined for. Most Juniperans wind up being the cannon fodder of tree armies while the wood woads form the elite. However, Juniperans are much more numerous.
    Physical Description
    Juniperans are small and lanky, but their weak looking form belies the amount of punishment the average Juniperan can take. Juniperans have growths of branches in their dog-like heads and their claws are suprisingly sharp. All in all, Juniperans have suprising ability in their bodies.
    Society
    Juniperans are mostly cannonfodder and workforce in the tree empire and as such don't have a real culture besides the trees telling them what to do. When away from the trees, they usually scramble to form some sort of organization but these attempts tend to crash and burn after a while. As such Juniperans are pretty much forced to follow someone else.
    Relations
    Most plant races don't like Juniperans in part just because they're trees. In other part because they follow the imperialistic larger trees to raids and are usually seen at the forefront of the slaughter. The other trees look down on Juniperans as they are weaker than pretty much any tree.
    Alingment and Religion
    Juniperans tend to be orderly even though most lack the insight to succesfully create a functioning society. They are also mean spirited and petty and as a result, most Juniperans are Lawful Evil.
    Juniperans mostly worship tree gods.
    Adventures
    Juniperans rarely adventure, except in the rare case when a Juniperan has both the means and the will to leave the tree empire. In these cases the only choice for most Juniperans is adventure.
    Names
    Male names: Naga, Serr, Loke, Miek
    Female Names: Lige, Grif, Lome, Gata

Small Humanoid [Plant] [Tree]
    -2 Str, +2 Dex +2 Con, -2 Wis
    Juniperans don't have a lot of strenght in their bodies and they are uninsightful. They are however, tough and agile.
    Speed: Juniperans have a base land speed of 30ft.
    Small: As a Small creature, a juniperan gains a +1 size bonus to Armor Class, a +1 size bonus on attack rolls, and a +4 size bonus on Hide checks, but he uses smaller weapons than normal, and his lifting and carrying limits are three-quarters of those of a Medium character.
    Low-Light Vision: Juniperans can see twice as far as normal in low-light conditions.
    Claws: Juniperans have two claw attacks that deal 1d3 damage.
    Ferocity: Juniperans are ferocious little bastards. They may take standard actions while at negative hit points and deal an extra 1d6 damage on any charge attack.
    Languages: A juniperan starts play with knowledge of Common and Tree. A juniperan with a high intelligience score may learn from the following list: Sylvan, Ironbark, Terran, Fungal.
    Favored Class: The favored class for a Juniperan is fighter.

Juniperan, 1st level Warrior
    Small Humanoid [Plant] [Tree]
    Hit Dice: 1d8+2 (6)
    Initiative: +5
    Speed: 30ft (6 squares)
    Armor Class: 14 (+1 Size, +1 Dex, +2 Leather Armor)
    Base Attack/Grapple: +1/-3
    Attack: Claw +2 Melee (1d3), Short Sword +2 Melee (1d4)
    Full Attack: 2 Claws +2 Melee (1d3), Short Sword +2 Melee (1d4)
    Space/Reach: 5ft/5ft
    Special Attacks: -
    Special Qualities: Low-Light Vision, Ferocity
    Saves: Fort +4, Ref +1, Will -2
    Abilities: Str 11, Dex 13, Con 14, Int 10, Wis 7, Cha 8
    Skills: Climb +4, Hide +5, Jump +4, Listen -2, Spot -2
    Feats: Improved Initiative
    Challenge Rating: 1/3
    Treasure: Standard
    Alingment: Usually Lawful Evil
    Advancement: By character class
    Level Adjustment: +0
    Last edited by Frog Dragon; 2010-03-22 at 10:00 AM.
    Frog in the playground.

My homebrewer's extended signature.

I have Str 5!

Quote Originally Posted by BobVosh View Post
    Wall of text attacks! CRITS!

13. - Top - End - #223

Okay! Time for reviews:

Chisled:
    I'd call stubborn as rock stability and just make it like the dwarf's ability.
    Is it wooded OR rocky, or only in situations where both exist?
    What's the explanation for the -4 to move silently?
    Darkvision usually comes in 60-foot increments.
    Those are my only gripes with the mechanics. I would like to see a full entry on them fluff-wise, however.

Juniperan:
    I like them, though they are really close to just a plant version of kobolds. I'd like to see something to distinguish them, something that makes them a different beat from kobolds.
    Mechanically, let's see...
    Is that one claw attack with both hands? Maybe two 1d3 claws?
    For ferocity, it seems like a weird arrangement. Perhaps just a racial diehard-equivalent? I'm not seeing what the +4 to ecsape grapples has to do with ferocity, myself.
    I'm not sure, but these would probably be better suited to be a monster entry with a playable option.
    My Homebrew

Current Projects:

Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #224
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Okay! Time for reviews:

Chisled:
    I'd call stubborn as rock stability and just make it like the dwarf's ability.
    Is it wooded OR rocky, or only in situations where both exist?
    What's the explanation for the -4 to move silently?
    Darkvision usually comes in 60-foot increments.
    Those are my only gripes with the mechanics. I would like to see a full entry on them fluff-wise, however.

Juniperan:
    I like them, though they are really close to just a plant version of kobolds. I'd like to see something to distinguish them, something that makes them a different beat from kobolds.
    For ferocity, it seems like a weird arrangement. Perhaps just a racial diehard-equivalent? I'm not seeing what the +4 to ecsape grapples has to do with ferocity, myself.
    I'm not sure, but these would probably be better suited to be a monster entry with a playable option.
    The -4 move silently is due to the fact that they are made of stone. And yea it is or rocky.

15. - Top - End - #225

Quote Originally Posted by Lizard Lord View Post
    The -4 move silently is due to the fact that they are made of stone. And yea it is or rocky.
    I can understand that, but you'd think they'd actually be better at sneaking than their other elemental cousins, due to the whole moss covering.
    My Homebrew

Current Projects:

Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #226
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

I can understand that, but you'd think they'd actually be better at sneaking than their other elemental cousins, due to the whole moss covering.
    I guess I can reduce the penalty, but its not like the moss covers them completely.

Anyways, I updated it to include more fluff now. I also added the other changes.
    Last edited by Lizard Lord; 2010-03-21 at 07:54 PM.

17. - Top - End - #227
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Juniperan:
    Well, they seem like a plant version of kobolds mostly because I was trying to make the goblin/kobold equivalent of this setting.
    Claws and ferocity changed.
    It's made as a player race mostly because I like to make them that way. I'll make them a monster stat block.
    Frog in the playground.

I have Str 5!

18. - Top - End - #228

Monster stat blocks just make it so much easier to use them in a potential campaign, you see, so thanks for that.

As for chisled. Good to see a full entry on them, though it still feels a little sparse. May I buff them up a little when I post them up? I have some interesting ideas for them, such as why they're different from any other elemental just with special training.
    My Homebrew

Current Projects:

Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #229
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Monster stat blocks just make it so much easier to use them in a potential campaign, you see, so thanks for that.

As for chisled. Good to see a full entry on them, though it still feels a little sparse. May I buff them up a little when I post them up? I have some interesting ideas for them, such as why they're different from any other elemental just with special training.
    Go right ahead.

20. - Top - End - #230

Alright then! My tweaked Chiseled are up.

May I have permission to do the same with the Juniperians?
    My Homebrew

Current Projects:

Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #231
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Go ahead. Flying half-badger unicorns taste good sprinkled with a little salt.
    Frog in the playground.

I have Str 5!

22. - Top - End - #232
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

I would like to submit one more God.
    Sulzar
    Spoiler
    Show
    Sulzar
    Minor Deity (True neutral)
    Rono and Kazar had fought once. Kazar had caused a volcanic eruption, destroying an Earth settlement as a result. Rono wished to see Kazar punished for this crime. During the battle their Elemental energies clashed and mixed together. Sulzar the Ash Lord was born amidst the battle between the two Elemental lords. Both Gods looked at Sulzar with disgust and the Ash God fled from them. After that the Gods agreed to never directly fight each other. He has since been hiding, even from the Gods. There has since been multiple interpretations of Sulzar amongst the mortals. The Earth Elementals either worship him as the son of Rono or hate him as a sign of Kazar's evil. The Fire Elementals either worship him as the child of Kazar or fear him as the god of death for their kind. The Creepers worship him as a God of stealth. The Goams see him as a God of death that, unlike Kazar, desires balance rather then destruction.
    Portfolio: Darkness, Death, Fire, Earth, Trickery
    Domains: Ash, Death, Stealth, Balance
    Symbol: A black symbol with left half being a roaring flame and the right half being a round stone.
    Cleric Training:Elemental followers learn from their Elders. Plant followers will either learn from an Earth Elemental, or a high priest. Sulzar hates extremists like his "parents". He sees Kazar as an insane murderer, that desires only destruction. He sees Rono as stiff and self righteous, caring only about his own sense of morality. Sulzar will not allow his clerics to be such extremists, and as such they must be part neutral.
    Quests: The quests of Sulzar vary. As the Son of Kazar, followers are expected to burn down forests and turn them to ash. Followers of the Son of Rono fight Fire Elementals, and keep them away from Earth Elemental borders. As a God of Death, clerics are sent to hunt down the blighted or ember born. The Creepers send their clerics to hunt dangerous prey or spy on the Elemental kingdoms.
    Prayers: There is no clear way to pray to Sulzar, even within the different interpretations of him.
    Temples: Temples to Rozar are vastly different in appearance in each settlement that has them, though they have a pit of Ashes in the center of their main room.
    Rites: The graduation rite for a priest of Rozar is one of the few things all the interpretations have in common. The clerics do a dance around a dieing fire and then smear the ashes on the face of the new initiate.
    Favored Weapon: Dagger
    Last edited by Lizard Lord; 2010-03-26 at 05:00 PM.

23. - Top - End - #233

I like it. Though I would think it would be simple to discover his true dogma. HE grants spells to those who do the right thing in his books and not to the other people. I enjoy the idea of a hidden god.
    My Homebrew

Current Projects:

Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #234
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Sulzar does not grant his clerics their abilities out of any real dogma, but rather in the pursuit of his own interests. He desires worshipers and clerics so that he can maintain hold of his own power. He mostly allows his worshipers to act however they wish, as long they continue to worship him. The exception, however, is that Sulzar hates extremists like his "parents". He sees Kazar as an insane murderer, that desires only destruction. He sees Rono as stiff and self righteous, caring only about his own sense of morality. Sulzar will not allow his clerics to be such extremists, and as such they must be part neutral.
    Last edited by Lizard Lord; 2010-03-26 at 02:54 AM.

25. - Top - End - #235

So Sulzar has no paladins?
    My Homebrew

Current Projects:

Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #236
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

That is correct.

27. - Top - End - #237

You should make mention of his dislike of extremes in the entry. Possibly under cleric training?
    My Homebrew

Current Projects:

Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #238
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

it is done

29. - Top - End - #239
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Since all the other elemental types have two races each, I may make another earth elemental race. Unless someone else wants to do it.

30. - Top - End - #240

Hmmm. Jagadaishio should show up with a pair of earth races soon, so I don't think we need to worry about that. To be honest, what we need right now isn't more races. We need a map, we need monsters, we need organizations, and we need details. Stuff that really fleshes out the setting altogether.
    My Homebrew

Current Projects:

Spoiler
    Show