Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Homebrew Kabbalist class?

Anyone know if anyone's attempted this yet? Kabbalism is afaik an ancient mystical spellcasting 'caste' back during the Judaic Age of Prophecy that surprisingly based on accounts of it told to me by my Orthodox jewish friends is something very similar in capability to regular D&D clerics.
    Arcane Scholar for Jephton fan club.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Homebrew Kabbalist class?

Quote Originally Posted by Raenir Salazar View Post
    Anyone know if anyone's attempted this yet? Kabbalism is afaik an ancient mystical spellcasting 'caste' back during the Judaic Age of Prophecy that surprisingly based on accounts of it told to me by my Orthodox jewish friends is something very similar in capability to regular D&D clerics.
    Almost everything in that statement is wrong. But to discuss why it is wrong would violate board rules. PM is you really want to know.

However, if you want a class that mimics some form of super-powered kabbalist (which would be a motif from a much later time period. Age of Prophecy is around 2000 years ago. Kabbalists last 1000 or so) then one would probably want some variant of a truenamer because the entire idea of much of kabbalah revolves around the power of words and and names.
    Last edited by JoshuaZ; 2010-02-19 at 12:17 PM.
    My homebrew:

Spoiler
    Show

Completed:
    ToB disciplines:

The Narrow Bridge
    The Broken Blade

Prestige classess:
    Disciple of Karsus -PrC for Karsites.
    The Seekers of Lost Swords and the Preserver of Future Blades Two interelated Tome of Battle Prcs,
    Master of the Hidden Seal - Binder/Divine hybrid
    Knight of the Grave- Necromancy using Gish

Worthwhile links:

Age of Warriors

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

My memory is terrible which is why I am probably paraphrasing extremely incorrectly.
    Arcane Scholar for Jephton fan club.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Raenir Salazar View Post
    My memory is terrible which is why I am probably paraphrasing extremely incorrectly.
    No it wouldn't surprise me in the least that you are stating exactly what the person said. People who take Kabbalah seriously often think it is *far* older than it is.
    My homebrew:

Spoiler
    Show

Completed:
    ToB disciplines:

The Narrow Bridge
    The Broken Blade

Prestige classess:
    Disciple of Karsus -PrC for Karsites.
    The Seekers of Lost Swords and the Preserver of Future Blades Two interelated Tome of Battle Prcs,
    Master of the Hidden Seal - Binder/Divine hybrid
    Knight of the Grave- Necromancy using Gish

Worthwhile links:

Age of Warriors

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Nevertheless, this is blatantly Real World Religion, which is not allowed. Just so you know. But to actually help you (without any violating discussion): there is a d20 book called Testament (I think it's by Green Ronin) which is about roleplaying in Biblical times. It might have something on this, but I don't remember exactly.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Xavius View Post
    Nevertheless, this is blatantly Real World Religion, which is not allowed. Just so you know. But to actually help you (without any violating discussion): there is a d20 book called Testament (I think it's by Green Ronin) which is about roleplaying in Biblical times. It might have something on this, but I don't remember exactly.
    It has Levite Priest and Psalmist. The former is basically a cleric with very flavourful strictures, limited spell selection and bonuses for following the Laws. The latter is a Spellcaster via song with the ability to work really well in groups.

Also has the Prophet, which is basically the Heirophant that actually HAS a flavour and the Judge, which does some old-school smiting [Biblical Judges being very different from modern legal ones...]
    Mine is not so much a Peter Pan Complex as a Peter Pan Doom Fortress and Underground LairTM!
    Fae-o-matic Want a fae from folklore stated? Give me the lore and I'll do it for you!
    Le Cirque Funeste Evil Fairy Circus! Ray Bradbury, refined down to snortable powder!

7. - Top - End - #7
    Sheriff in the Playground Administrator

Sheriff of Moddingham: Real world religion is not permitted here - even when it intersects with gaming topics.
    Forum Rules

Roland in the Dark by Djinn in Tonic

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Roland St. Jude View Post
    Sheriff of Moddingham: Real world religion is not permitted here - even when it intersects with gaming topics.
    I'm reporting you for mentioning RL religion.
    Can I report you to you?