New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Loremaster with Mystic Theurge

Say I took MT and then later took Loremaster. Could I say the the existing class to take +1 caster level in is MT?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

Default Re: Loremaster with Mystic Theurge

No, you need a class with the same or similar table of spellcasting as Wizard/Sorc or Cleric for those PrC.

Before the clarification of that, there was a build that got 9th level arcane/divine and 9th psion powers. I belive it was Jack, the Indecise.
    Last edited by Arakune; 2010-02-19 at 08:44 PM.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Arakune View Post
    No, you need a class with the same or similar table of spellcasting as Wizard/Sorc or Cleric for those PrC.

Before the clarification of that, there was a build that got 9th level arcane/divine and 9th psion powers. I belive it was Jack, the Indecise.
    Indeed it was, and it was mine. The problem is that "spellcasting class" has never been properly defined, and the only thing preventing that sort of abuse is a kind of gentleman's agreement that, really, we should know better.

Also it's harder to get triple-9's that way than you might think, as most dual-progression classes have a really horrible epic progression, so you need to be very clever in how you balance them.

Zeal's Tier System for PrC's
    Zeal's Expanded Alignment System
    Zeal's "Creative" Build Requests
    Bubs the Commoner
    Zeal's "Minimum-Intervention" balance fix
    Feat Point System fix (in progress)

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by JadePhoenix View Post
    sonofzeal, you're like a megazord of awesome and win.
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    SonOfZeal, it is a great joy to see that your Kung-Fu remains undiminished in this, the twilight of an age. May the Great Wheel be kind to you, planeswalker.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Banned

I actually really like having the Loremaster's class features with the dual-progression and the Mystic Theurge's requirements, though. That might be very interesting.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DragoonWraith View Post
    I actually really like having the Loremaster's class features with the dual-progression and the Mystic Theurge's requirements, though. That might be very interesting.
    Wait, how do you do that?

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by sreservoir View Post
    Say I took MT and then later took Loremaster. Could I say the the existing class to take +1 caster level in is MT?
    Pretty sure the ruling is that the PrC needs to have its own casting progression, not just "+1 of existing class". So Pious Templar and UrPriest would qualify, but not loremaster or archmage.

I worked something similar once before I was told it didn't work. Wiz and sorc, 1 level in ultimate magus. Then levels in either archivist or favored soul (reducing MAD), and tack on MT.
    Take the feat "spellcasting prodigy" from FRCS for whichever casting stat I'll be doubling up on (int or cha). Trying to remember what the result was, but since I didn't use early entry cheese for MT or UM, I think I had casting at 17/15/15 or thereabouts
    Last edited by herrhauptmann; 2010-02-19 at 09:15 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by sreservoir View Post
    Wait, how do you do that?
    You can't. But I think it would be an interesting houserule. The Mystic Theurge sucks, the Loremaster's pretty tame in terms of class features; the combination seems pretty decent. Though I think I'd probably still reduce it to somehow being 3/2 instead of 3/3 entry. Being a Wizard 3/Cleric 3 or even Wizard 3/Archivist 3 sucks compared to just being a Wizard 6, Cleric 6, or Archivist 6. Hell, Being a Wizard 3/Archivist 3/Mystic Theurge 10 sucks, and that's the best chance you'll ever be. But adding the Loremaster features on there would help some.

8. - Top - End - #8

Quote Originally Posted by DragoonWraith View Post
    You can't. But I think it would be an interesting houserule. The Mystic Theurge sucks, the Loremaster's pretty tame in terms of class features; the combination seems pretty decent. Though I think I'd probably still reduce it to somehow being 3/2 instead of 3/3 entry. Being a Wizard 3/Cleric 3 or even Wizard 3/Archivist 3 sucks compared to just being a Wizard 6, Cleric 6, or Archivist 6. Hell, Being a Wizard 3/Archivist 3/Mystic Theurge 10 sucks, and that's the best chance you'll ever be. But adding the Loremaster features on there would help some.
    Honestly, I think a gradual entry would be best. Require 1 level casting in each, and advance something like 8/10 on both sides with different "dead" levels". Much more playable that way, imo.

Bubs the Commoner

Spoiler
    Show
    SonOfZeal, it is a great joy to see that your Kung-Fu remains undiminished in this, the twilight of an age. May the Great Wheel be kind to you, planeswalker.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

Chameleons get access to levels of arcane and divine spells at the same character levels as Mystic Theurges do, barring early entry tricks, along with actual class features. Fewer spells per day, but from any class list. No domain-only spells, but automatic knowledge of all divine spells a la Cleric.
    Quote Originally Posted by icefractal View Post
    Abstract positioning, either fully "position doesn't matter" or "zones" or whatever, is fine. If the rules reflect that. Exact positioning, with a visual representation, is fine. But "exact positioning theoretically exists, and the rules interact with it, but it only exists in the GM's head and is communicated to the players a bit at a time" sucks for anything even a little complex. And I say this from a GM POV.

10. - Top - End - #10

Quote Originally Posted by Devils_Advocate View Post
    Chameleons get access to levels of arcane and divine spells at the same character levels as Mystic Theurges do, barring early entry tricks, along with actual class features. Fewer spells per day, but from any class list. No domain-only spells, but automatic knowledge of all divine spells a la Cleric.
    There's only one problem with that. They don't get past level 6 spells. A bit less useful.
    Last edited by PhoenixRivers; 2010-02-20 at 03:17 AM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

Yeah, it's rather annoying that it's only 10 levels long, really. That's true of Mystic Theurge, too, but there are other dual casting PrCs, so that's less of a problem. I don't know why they decided that no one should have more than 10 levels in a given PrC pre-Epic. (True Necromancer is the one exception to this, if I recall correctly.) Rather a nuisance in some cases.

Still, it's fairly obvious how to extend it for 5 more levels, should one wish to do so. Let's see, in addition to BAB, saves, and spells per day continuing their progression...

11th: Aptitude focus 3/day (+6)
    12th: Mimic class feature 3/day
    13th: Ability boon +8
    14th: Triple aptitude
    15th: Aptitude focus 4/day (+6), mimic class feature 3/day

Too good, or just good enough?
    Quote Originally Posted by icefractal View Post
    Abstract positioning, either fully "position doesn't matter" or "zones" or whatever, is fine. If the rules reflect that. Exact positioning, with a visual representation, is fine. But "exact positioning theoretically exists, and the rules interact with it, but it only exists in the GM's head and is communicated to the players a bit at a time" sucks for anything even a little complex. And I say this from a GM POV.

12. - Top - End - #12

Quote Originally Posted by Devils_Advocate View Post
    (True Necromancer is the one exception to this, if I recall correctly.)
    Not the only one; I know of at least one other (Void Disciple), though you're right that they're rare.

Bubs the Commoner

Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

And the Prestige paladin etc.
    If I creep into your house in the dead of night and strangle you while you sleep, you probably messed up your grammar.

I'm always extremely careful to hedge myself against absolute statements.