Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 22 of 50 FirstFirst ... 12131415161718192021222324252627282930313247 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #631
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: [3.5]Improved monster classes: adapting creatures for player use-taking requests!

hah, hah. AWSOME. PERFECT.

Oh, that's hilarious. I can just see it swinging it's chains and getting them knotted up with it's heads! that is so...

a psion's psicrystal's personality is a reflection of the psion's personality. what on earth might the personality of a psicrystal for a werehydra that followed up with psion be?

Oh, that picture is so perfect! ah... might be a pain for roleplayers, but awsome posibilities for rollplayers.

Thank you.

Edit: ninja'd.
    as I said, I may have misinterpretted either side of the arguement. passive... is fine. but... to quote star war-- you know what? no quote is nessesary. YODA.
    and seems fair to me, If it's peached it is his choice to add to OP. can't speak for the others, though.

double edit:
    my edit was ninja'd! Yay!
    Last edited by flabort; 2010-06-09 at 06:42 PM.
    Demilich avatar by Smuchmuch. Thank you VERY much!

Extended Signature
    Awright, Supagoof, that's just awesome. Thanks!
    Spoiler
    Show

Infernal avatar by Savana. Thanks!

Nude version by SmuchMuch.

2. - Top - End - #632
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: [3.5]Improved monster classes: adapting creatures for player use-taking requests!

Glad to be of service.
    Last edited by Mystic Muse; 2010-06-09 at 06:41 PM.

3. - Top - End - #633
    Bugbear in the Playground

The issue I have with imp_fireball asking for PEACH is that he's demanding a measure of respect and work from others that he isn't showing to the OP or those of us that are making genuine efforts. He's intruding on the thread with his own goals, ignoring the primary (and secondary, and tertiary) sentiments of the homebrew here, and adding a whole lot of clutter as far as debates and explanations regarding balance and design that he isn't giving much consideration to. If he wanted to meet us halfway, he'd start by cutting out the penalties that make the class so one dimensional, bring the gargantuan strength bonuses back to an appropriate level and bring the class in line with other melee creatures in this thread.

He asked if it was ok with the OP if he continued posting in this thread, and as I read it, Oslecamo made it fairly clear that while he couldn't stop imp, he didn't want him to keep going as is.

I've been working on fire giant and I've started on ogre. If imp_fireball opts to stick to his own concept of design, I'll post an ogre up that fits the thread standards, alongside the fire giant.
    Last edited by Hyudra; 2010-06-10 at 12:40 AM.

4. - Top - End - #634
    Ogre in the Playground

well, that makes sense.

eh, I was thinking of something I would like to request, but after thinking it over, a living spell would be insanely hard to do, without dividing all the spells into even further seperated tiers, and creating "spell trees".

but, if anyone wants to take on the challenge that would probably be a life's work....

As an alternative, I'd like to ask for elementals a war troll instead. (after my last attempt at something, I've had enough of trying to make one myself for now)
    Last edited by flabort; 2010-06-10 at 09:53 AM.
    Demilich avatar by Smuchmuch. Thank you VERY much!

Extended Signature
    Awright, Supagoof, that's just awesome. Thanks!
    Spoiler
    Show

Infernal avatar by Savana. Thanks!

Nude version by SmuchMuch.

5. - Top - End - #635
    Barbarian in the Playground

Also I doubt its anywhere close to done but how much of the tarrasque have you made Olsecamo?
    Really really really awesome avatar thanks to neoseph7

6. - Top - End - #636
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Hyudra View Post
    The issue I have with imp_fireball asking for PEACH is that he's demanding a measure of respect and work from others that he isn't showing to the OP or those of us that are making genuine efforts. He's intruding on the thread with his own goals, ignoring the primary (and secondary, and tertiary) sentiments of the homebrew here, and adding a whole lot of clutter as far as debates and explanations regarding balance and design that he isn't giving much consideration to. If he wanted to meet us halfway, he'd start by cutting out the penalties that make the class so one dimensional, bring the gargantuan strength bonuses back to an appropriate level and bring the class in line with other melee creatures in this thread.

He asked if it was ok with the OP if he continued posting in this thread, and as I read it, Oslecamo made it fairly clear that while he couldn't stop imp, he didn't want him to keep going as is.

I've been working on fire giant and I've started on ogre. If imp_fireball opts to stick to his own concept of design, I'll post an ogre up that fits the thread standards, alongside the fire giant.
    I'll make my own thread to show case my stuff then, but I will be linking to posts in this thread to refer back to my work.

BTW, I suggest everyone who's defending the OP chill out. It feels like I've disrespected a supervisor that I'm supposed to be job shadowing.

If imp_fireball opts to stick to his own concept of design, I'll post an ogre up that fits the thread standards.
    Make an ogre tribute then, I'm not stopping you. I'll post my pure wizards ogre in the other thread (I call it the 'wizards ogre' since it's a direct conversion of the ogre WotC gave us).
    Last edited by imp_fireball; 2010-06-10 at 03:08 PM.

7. - Top - End - #637
    Orc in the Playground

Beguiler

Spoiler
    Show

Beguiler
    HD: d8
    Beguiler
    {table=head]Level|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|Special

1st|
    +0
    |
    +0
    |
    +2
    |
    +2
    |Beguiler Body, +1 Dex, Rake, True Sight[/table]

Skills: (4+int modifier) x4 at first level)) A beguilers class skills are Balance, Climb, Hide, Listen, Move Silently, Sense Motive, and Spot

Features

Proficiencies: A beguiler is proficient with its own natural weapons.

Beguiler Body: The Beguiler loses all other racial traits and gains the following statistics. A beguiler is a small magical beast with a base land speed of 30ft. Beguilers have Darkvision 60 feet. Beguilers possess two sets of sharp, retractile claws that deal 1d3 damage and a sharp bite attack which deals 1d4. Beguilers can also wield weapons in their hairless, prehensile tails. Their limbs are quite useful for climbing, they have a climb speed of 10ft. and as such, they have a +8 racial bonus on climb checks. A beguiler can always choose to take 10 on Climb checks, even if rushed or threatened. Unfortunately, with the exception of its prehensile tail, these limbs aren't very well suited for manipulating objects or wielding weapons; As such, it may only hold one one-handed weapon, and must drop or sheathe said weapon to manipulate anything or retrieve an item from its person. Lastly, While dry, beguilers can change the hue and pattern of their fur to match the coloration of their surroundings, even to colors and patterns not found in nature, giving them a +8 racial bonus on Hide checks.

Ability Increases: At first level, a beguiler a permanent +1 increase to its dexterity.

Rake (Ex): When grappling, a beguiler can make two additional rake attacks which deal 1d3 + Str. Mod. Damage.

True Sight (Su): Lastly, a beguiler has the strange ability to see past any illusion. A beguiler receives a +1 bonus to any save made to recognize an illusion for every HD it possesses to any rolls made to recognize an illusion. Additionally, a beguiler does not have to study or interact with the illusion to be allowed a save.

At 10 HD this ability improves and the beguiler always sees as if under the effects of the true sight spell.
    Last edited by AustontheGreat1; 2010-10-01 at 07:20 PM.

8. - Top - End - #638

Um, you should make the true sight progress by hd in total because true seeing in one level is kinds OP. This is not counting the small size and natural attacks. Make it be darkvision first and scale it up.
    Last edited by demidracolich; 2010-06-10 at 04:37 PM.

9. - Top - End - #639
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by demidracolich View Post
    Um, you should make the true sight progress by hd in total because true seeing in one level is kinds OP. This is not counting the small size and natural attacks. Make it be darkvision first and scale it up.
    How about it gets a bonus to saves vs. illusion and doesn't require it to interact with one before it is allowed the save. This bonus increases until it gets true sight at xth level. not sure what that level should be though...

10. - Top - End - #640
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AustontheGreat1 View Post
    How about it gets a bonus to saves vs. illusion and doesn't require it to interact with one before it is allowed the save. This bonus increases until it gets true sight at xth level. not sure what that level should be though...
    How about 12th level? Is that too early for permanent true seeing?

11. - Top - End - #641

I don't think the beguiler is that bad as written. Despite getting a lot of little features, it doesn't really have a distinct role or powers on it's own... then again, the base creature doesn't, either. It's more of an advanced familiar, IIRC.

If I'd change anything, I'd state:
    • The beguiler does not have fine manipulation with the exception of the tail. As such, it may only hold one one-handed weapon, and must drop/sheathe said weapon to manipulate anything or retrieve an item from its person.
    • The beguiler is proficient with its own natural weapons. Minor nitpick, but worth clarifying.
    • Can it speak? I think we may need to go through this thread and include languages creatures are capable of. IIRC, beguilers speak their own tongue first, then they can use int bonus to access others.
    • Make it scale. True seeing could be a 1/round a day thing and scale up to the point where, at higher levels, it's capable of being 24/7. ie. 1/round a day per HD until 5HD, when it becomes 2 rounds a day per HD. 3/rounds a day per HD at 10HD and so on.
    • Emphasize dex alone over dex/int. It's an agile creature and isn't of noteworthy intelligence. Intelligence, as well, doesn't particularly help it in any way it is lacking (where dex gives it armor bonus).

12. - Top - End - #642
    Titan in the Playground

I'd say either 11th or 12th level since that's about the time the Balor gets it.

13. - Top - End - #643

Sounds a good idea, more or less like you did with the beholder.

demidracolich:Pretty much nothing of the tarrasque done to be honest. There's always coming in new monsters to review and running two campaigns and RLs busy as well. I intend to do it but only will have time more to the summer.

flabort:
    no, I haven't forgoten your werehydra, but kinda short on time today. Perhaps tomorrow I can finally give it's final touches.

14. - Top - End - #644
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by imp_fireball View Post
    Ogre
    Bad mechanics. Doesn't follow rules.
    1) No mental penalties (we don't use those)
    2) Since no penalties, bonus too high
    3) We give NA equal to Con mod.
    4) Doesn't jump out as ogre, but dumb brute.

Try this:
    [quote]
    Spoiler
    Show

Proficiencies: An ogre is automatically proficient with simple weapons, martial weapons, light and medium armor, and shields.
    Skills: 2 + Int Modifier
    Climb, Listen, Search, Spot, and Survival are Class Skills.
    {table]Level|Bab|Fort|Ref|Will|Feature
    1|+ 1|+2 |+0 | +0| Ogre Body, +2 Str, Darkvision 60ft.
    2|+ 2|+ 3|+ 0| + 0| +10 speed, +1 Str, +1 Con
    3|+ 2|+ 3|+1| +1 | +1 Strength, +1 Con, Growth, Smash
    [/table]

Ogre Body

The ogre loses all prior racial bonuses and abilities and their size is now Medium.
    They gain NA to Con.

Fast:
    Ogre gains +10 movement land speed at 2nd.

Growth

Size permanently shifts from Medium to Large.

Smash:
    As a standard action, Make one attack with a -3 penalty to hit, and add double Str bonus to hit with a one handed/triple Str bonus for 2 handed weapon. (this overrides normal str bonus from one/2 handed)

Smash is good, but the one attack limit reduces any overpowering.

See, that fits the Ogre image: Big strong guy.
    +4 Str, +2 Con. May be too much, but general idea is better.

15. - Top - End - #645
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Starbuck_II View Post
    Bad mechanics. Doesn't follow rules.
    1) No mental penalties (we don't use those)
    2) Since no penalties, bonus too high
    3) We give NA equal to Con mod.
    4) Doesn't jump out as ogre, but dumb brute.

Try this:
    Spoiler
    Show

Proficiencies: An ogre is automatically proficient with simple weapons, martial weapons, light and medium armor, and shields.
    Skills: 2 + Int Modifier
    Climb, Listen, Search, Spot, and Survival are Class Skills.
    {table]Level|Bab|Fort|Ref|Will|Feature
    1|+ 1|+2 |+0 | +0| Ogre Body, +2 Str, Darkvision 60ft.
    2|+ 2|+ 3|+ 0| + 0| +10 speed, +1 Str, +1 Con
    3|+ 2|+ 3|+1| +1 | +1 Strength, +1 Con, Growth, Smash
    [/table]

Ogre Body

The ogre loses all prior racial bonuses and abilities and their size is now Medium.
    They gain NA to Con.

Fast:
    Ogre gains +10 movement land speed at 2nd.

Growth

Size permanently shifts from Medium to Large.

Smash:
    As a standard action, Make one attack with a -3 penalty to hit, and add double Str bonus to hit with a one handed/triple Str bonus for 2 handed weapon. (this overrides normal str bonus from one/2 handed)

Smash is good, but the one attack limit reduces any overpowering.

See, that fits the Ogre image: Big strong guy.
    +4 Str, +2 Con. May be too much, but general idea is better.
    I altered my Ogre a bit to accommodate natural armor. I thought it was a bit underpowered considering the player would need to burn feats to make it up to snuff. Also added a new feat to make it even more of a tank.
    Last edited by imp_fireball; 2010-06-10 at 06:29 PM.

16. - Top - End - #646

Quote Originally Posted by Kyuubi View Post
    I'd say either 11th or 12th level since that's about the time the Balor gets it.
    True, but the Balor has a lot of other stuff. The beguiler is a smaller investment and has little else going for it. Could probably introduce it a bit earlier.

17. - Top - End - #647

10th mabye?

18. - Top - End - #648
    Ettin in the Playground

Brain in a Jar
    Spoiler
    Show

Crunch
    Spoiler
    Show

HD: d12
    {table=head]Level| BAB| Fort| Ref| Will| Features
    1|+0| +0| +0| +2| Brain in a Jar, Mind Thrust, The Brain Unbound
    2|+1| +0| +0| +3| Rebuke Undead, The Brain Unequalled, Int +1, Wis +1, Cha +1
    3|+1| +1| +1| +3| The Brain Unleashed, Madness, Int +1, Cha +1
    4|+2| +1| +1| +4| The Brain Absolute, Int +1, Wis +1, Cha +1[/table]
    Class Skills (2+ Int Modifier): None.

Proficiencies: The brain in a jar is proficient with no weapons and no armor.

Brain in a Jar: The Brain in a Jar loses all racial features and instead gains the following:
    • Type: Undead
    • Darkvision 60 feet.
    • Movement: 30 feet. The Brain in a Jar hovers one or two feet above gorund level under its own power, allowing it to ignore difficult terrain. At 4th level, this improves to a Fly speed of 30 feet with Good Maneuverability.
    • Size: Tiny.
    • Naturally Psionic: The Brain in a Jar gains 1 power point per HD.
    • Telepathy: 30 feet + 10 feet per HD.

Furthermore, the brain in a jar has no Strength score, keeping itself mobile through psionic power alone, it gains a deflection bonus to AC equal to his Charisma modifier.

Lastly, all current and future HD it has become d12s.

The Brain in a Jarís unusual body shape gives it different body slots than most other creatures. The brain can use Head slot items on top of its Jar, wrap a Body or Shoulders slot item around it and wear a belt slot item at the base of the Jar. It can use an Eyes slot item, Ring or Necklace inside the Jar, with the brain itself. Finally, it can wear specially crafted armor or robes.

Brain in a Jar Body slots:
    Spoiler
    Show
    • One Headgear.
    • One mantle, cape, vest or shirt.
    • One Belt.
    • One Ring, Necklace, Mask or lenses.
    • One armor or robe.

Undead Type characteristics:
    Spoiler
    Show
    • No Constitution score.
    • Darkvision out to 60 feet.
    • Immunity to all mind-affecting effects (charms, compulsions, phantasms, patterns, and morale effects).
    • Immunity to poison, sleep effects, paralysis, stunning, disease, and death effects.
    • Not subject to critical hits, nonlethal damage, ability drain, or energy drain. Immune to damage to its physical ability scores (Strength, Dexterity, and Constitution), as well as to fatigue and exhaustion effects.
    • Cannot heal damage on its own if it has no Intelligence score, although it can be healed. Negative energy (such as an inflict spell) can heal undead creatures. The fast healing special quality works regardless of the creatureís Intelligence score.
    • Immunity to any effect that requires a Fortitude save (unless the effect also works on objects or is harmless).
    • Uses its Charisma modifier for Concentration checks.
    • Not at risk of death from massive damage, but when reduced to 0 hit points or less, it is immediately destroyed.
    • Not affected by raise dead and reincarnate spells or abilities. Resurrection and true resurrection can affect undead creatures. These spells turn undead creatures back into the living creatures they were before becoming undead.
    • Undead do not breathe, eat, or sleep.

Mind Thrust (Su): The brain in a Jar can deliver a massive assault on the thought pathways of any one creature within 60 feet as a standard action. This mind thrust deals 1d10 points of damage to any creature that fails a will save, DC 10 + Ĺ HD + Cha modifier.

At 3 HD and every two HD afterwards, the damage of the Mind Thrust increases by 1d10. Additionally, the Brain in a Jar may spend 1 power point to increase the damage of the Mind Thrust by 1d10 and increase the DC by 1 for every two extra dice of damage, this augmentation can never increase the dice of damage dealt by the Mind Thrust beyond the Brain in a Jarís HD.

The Brain Unbound (Pl): The Brain in a Jar is a creature with a potent mind, and it has access to several psi-like abilities. The manifester level for the psi-like abilities is equal to the Brain in a Jarís HD, and the save DC for them is 10 + Ĺ HD + Cha modifier.

Starting at 1st level, the Brain in a Jar can use Psionic Charm Person and Control Object 1/day per HD, and it can use Far Hand at will.

Rebuke Undead (Su): At 2nd level, the Brain in a Jar may rebuke undead with an effective cleric level equal to his HD. This ability can be used a number of times per day equal to 3 + Charisma Modifier.

The Brain Unequalled (Ex): At 2nd level the Brain in a Jar gains Blindsight out to 5 feet per HD and Turn Resistance equal to half its HD. Furthermore, he gains a racial bonus on all Intelligence, Wisdom and Charisma based skill checks equal to his class level.

Ability Score Increases: At 2nd, 3rd and 4th levels, the Brain in a Jar gains +1 to Intelligence and Charisma. At 2nd and 4th levels it gains a +1 to Wisdom.

The Brain Unleashed (Pl): Starting at 3rd level the Brain in a Jar can use Psionic Suggestion, Read Thoughts and Id Insinuation as psi-like abilities 1/day per two HD.

Madness (Su): At 3rd level, anyone targeting the Brain in Jar with a thought detection, mind control or any telepathic or psionic effect that makes contact with his mind takes 1d4 points of wisdom damage.

The Brain Absolute (Pl): Starting at 4th level, the Brain in a Jar can use Psionic Dominate, Telekinetic Force, Telekinetic Thrust and Telekinetic Maneuver 1/day per four HD.

Comments
    Spoiler
    Show
    Play a Brain in a Jar if you want to Mind your own business.

Heh. You get it? Mind your own business! Priceless. Ok, the brain in a jar is a psionic undead. It is a brain with no body (doh) that hovers and uses telekinesis and mind controlz, along with a smattering of necromantic dabbling (Rebuke Undead), and Madness gives it a protection against non Mind-Affecting mind effects. And makes telepathy the Brain's mightiest weapon, sometimes. COMA INDUCING BRAIN SHOUTS HHHHAAAAAHAHAAAHAAAAAAAAA.

Ahem...

Well, there ya go. For all of you potheads here in this forum.
    Last edited by Draken; 2010-07-11 at 09:22 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrewing

19. - Top - End - #649

10 would be my first impulse.

Well, second, after a gradually increasing amount of true sight with HD, as I outlined earlier.

Edit

Re: Brain in a jar, I'd be concerned about it's viability against low level threats. Mainly, that it'd be too strong.
    • From 1st level on, you can fly 60' above your opponent's heads and mind thrust them until they're dead. It's better than a warlock with fell flight; the warlock needs to hit, while you allow a will save, but your mind thrust is 1d10 to the eldritch blast's 1d6.
    • The lack of a strength score is a pretty big bonus, when you couple it with the lack of a con score. That allows for a stacking of the four remaining stats.
    • Add the stat stacking to the ability score increases, and I think it's too tempting a choice for the psionic classes. Is there really any reason for a psion not to be a brain in a jar?
    Last edited by Hyudra; 2010-06-10 at 07:13 PM.

20. - Top - End - #650
    Ettin in the Playground

Four lost manifester levels.

And indeed. It is quite powerful at lower levels. But it is fairly targetable with a bow or crossbow and loses some steam later on.

Edit: think I could reduce the range of Mind Thrust to 30 feet and increase it with levels. Not like the original even has a range anyway.
    Last edited by Draken; 2010-06-10 at 07:20 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrewing

21. - Top - End - #651

Well, practiced manifestor kind of makes up for it except with powers known and pp. Anyways, I really like the class in general.

22. - Top - End - #652
    Titan in the Playground

Okay, this has been bugging me for a long time now.

In a number of these classes, Oslecamo, the monsters are stated to have resistance to poison. You had it pointed out to you earlier in one of them, but you appear to have missed correcting it in many other places.

Like, enough places to make this sentence.

I haven't checked them all, but correcting those would definitely be a start.

23. - Top - End - #653

Further thoughts:
    • It may not need to be said, but does mind thrust work on mindless creatures?
    • Rebuke undead should offer some benefit should the B.i.a.J. take cleric levels, methinks.
    • The skill check bonus on 'The Brain Unequalled' is pretty huge when coupled with the tiny required attribute spread (I see a B.i.a.J. having 16 int, 14 wis and 18 cha and no points anywhere else at level 1) and bonus ability scores.
    • Reading over the mind thrust ability, I think it's maybe too strong. Compare it to eldritch blast (or dragonfire adept's breath weapon). Assuming you're not spending power points on anything else, you can stack damage pretty high at mid level. Sure, you can't enhance it beyond spending power points to boost it, but it's got a lot of oomph.

Looks like a fun class to play though. Just need some clarifications, tweaking on mind thrust and making it not trivialize 90% of 1st-4th level encounters with airborne strafing.

24. - Top - End - #654
    Ettin in the Playground

Further thoughts:
    It may not need to be said, but does mind thrust work on mindless creatures?
    It doesn't have the mind-affecting descriptor, doesn't have it on the original either (doesn't have a range on the original either, oddly enough), and it is not the Psionic Power either.

Rebuke undead should offer some benefit should the B.i.a.J. take cleric levels, methinks.
    Rebuke undead is based on HD. It is an usual houserule to have such abilities stack when obtained from multiple sources.

If nothing else, no matter how weirdly you multiclass, your BiaJ Rebuking will always be top notch, and you get all those other daily uses of rebuking to power those sweet, sweet feats (Devotion and Divine alike).

The skill check bonus on 'The Brain Unequalled' is pretty huge when coupled with the tiny required attribute spread (I see a B.i.a.J. having 16 int, 14 wis and 18 cha and no points anywhere else at level 1) and bonus ability scores.
    Remember that as an undead, it has no class skills. And the skill bonus is based on Class Level, not Character level or HD. It is just a +4 bonus.

Reading over the mind thrust ability, I think it's maybe too strong. Compare it to eldritch blast (or dragonfire adept's breath weapon). Assuming you're not spending power points on anything else, you can stack damage pretty high at mid level. Sure, you can't enhance it beyond spending power points to boost it, but it's got a lot of oomph.
    Well. At first level that one PP is useless, as your max damage is 1d10. The save DC is also at most 14 (16 with ability focus). Which is quite difficult to make if your target has low wisdom and a bad will save.

At 2nd level, it is is still 1d10 damage, but now with a DC of 15 (17 with Ability focus) with the chance to deal 2d10 damage twice a day.

The power point "Augmentation" is pretty much identical to the psionic Power of same name, except that the resulting DC is higher than the power itself at the same augmentation. Considering PP from an actual manifesting class... It is actually a very good offensive choice, but not much else.

Looks like a fun class to play though. Just need some clarifications, tweaking on mind thrust and making it not trivialize 90% of 1st-4th level encounters with airborne strafing.
    I have an idea about the air strafing. I will make it so that they just hover above ground level for the first few levels and then start really flying at level 4.

Also, I am amused, it is always me an you doing most of the talking, funny.
    Last edited by Draken; 2010-06-10 at 09:35 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrewing

25. - Top - End - #655

If I were you I'd allow the brain in a jar to gain an increase to manifester level equal to its brain in a jar level. A minor boost to power points wouldn't hurt either

Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Ms.Malbolge View Post
    Listen to the Crafy one. He speaks the truth, except when he doesn't which may still be the truth hidden behind a veil of crafty craftiness.

Or something.

26. - Top - End - #656

Quote Originally Posted by Draken View Post
    It [mind thrust] doesn't have the mind-affecting descriptor, doesn't have it on the original either (doesn't have a range on the original either, oddly enough), and it is not the Psionic Power either.
    I think it should be mind affecting, unless it were a more telekinetic thing, in which case it'd be a touch attack rather than a will save (and would probably need a mild nerf).

As it stands, it's clearly better than eldritch blast. Same range, more damage. Warlock can use eldritch essence invocations to boost blast, Jarbrain can use pp to boost thrust. Thrust has more damage, equal range.

Rebuke undead is based on HD. It is an usual houserule to have such abilities stack when obtained from multiple sources.

If nothing else, no matter how weirdly you multiclass, your BiaJ Rebuking will always be top notch, and you get all those other daily uses of rebuking to power those sweet, sweet feats (Devotion and Divine alike).
    Not 100% sure I like how this plays out, as you're basically gaining a notable class power without having to invest in that power (only 2 levels of Jarbrain).

Remember that as an undead, it has no class skills. And the skill bonus is based on Class Level, not Character level or HD. It is just a +4 bonus.
    True, but my gut reaction on reading it was that between the ability to drop str & con (and boost relevant mental stats) and the bonus, it really took the impact out of the 'no class skills thing'.

I suppose it balances out, being a second level ability.

Well. At first level that one PP is useless, as your max damage is 1d10. The save DC is also at most 14 (16 with ability focus). Which is quite difficult to make if your target has low wisdom and a bad will save.

At 2nd level, it is is still 1d10 damage, but now with a DC of 15 (17 with Ability focus) with the chance to deal 2d10 damage twice a day.

The power point "Augmentation" is pretty much identical to the psionic Power of same name, except that the resulting DC is higher than the power itself at the same augmentation. Considering PP from an actual manifesting class... It is actually a very good offensive choice, but not much else.
    But he has non-offensive choices. Just in terms of balance, though, it's better than eldritch blast, and that mandates tweakage.

I have an idea about the air strafing. I will make it so that they just hover above ground level for the first few levels and then start really flying at level 4.
    I'm of the opinion that something in this vein should be the case with any flying creature that can make ranged attacks. Alternately, the creature can just be forced to wait for flying (which isn't possible with your beholders and jarbrains, forcing the first option). It's not elegant, but it works.

Quote Originally Posted by Crafty Cultist
    If I were you I'd allow the brain in a jar to gain an increase to manifester level equal to its brain in a jar level. A minor boost to power points wouldn't hurt either
    I agree with the manifester level thing, though it adds a dilemma with the return to the notion of Jarbrain being a 'must have' dip for psionic classes. Perhaps with a built in drawback?
    Last edited by Hyudra; 2010-06-11 at 12:03 AM.

27. - Top - End - #657

Lots of cool monsters here. I could never wrap my head around the system for making a monster PC (I have trouble making a REGULAR PC, for crying out loud- I'm not good at filling out stat sheets and keeping track of it all...), so I'm happy to see this. Much simpler.

I'm not quite good enough to depart from base classes and simple races yet, so I figured I'd put in a request instead. Does anyone what to make the Mephit(s) into a (series of) player race(s)?
    Last edited by UserShadow7989; 2010-06-11 at 12:15 AM.
    Thanks to Akrim.elf for the avi of my OC.

Homebrewer's signature.

28. - Top - End - #658

Mephits have been on the list for some time. Nobody's gotten around to doing 'em.

Not too grounded on the subject of Mephits, here, beyond being aware that one or two make excellent picks for improved familiars. Aside from the flying, they shouldn't be too hard to put together.

No promises, but I may take charge of the mephits once I've done the remaining giants.

edit: Looking them over, the environmental specialization is kind of a problem. Makes them very setting-dependent. Will probably need tweaking. I already have some ideas. Will think on it.
    Last edited by Hyudra; 2010-06-11 at 12:36 AM.

29. - Top - End - #659
    Orc in the Playground

Mephits have been on the list for some time. Nobody's gotten around to doing 'em.

Not too grounded on the subject of Mephits, here, beyond being aware that one or two make excellent picks for improved familiars. Aside from the flying, they shouldn't be too hard to put together.

No promises, but I may take charge of the mephits once I've done the remaining giants.

edit: Looking them over, the environmental specialization is kind of a problem. Makes them very setting-dependent. Will probably need tweaking. I already have some ideas. Will think on it.
    On the mephits you could probably just make a generic mephit class and allow the PC to fill in the element.

30. - Top - End - #660
    Ettin in the Playground

On the mephits you could probably just make a generic mephit class and allow the PC to fill in the element.
    Yeah, they all have the same set of abilities, with two of them changing depending on type:

-Breath Weapon (varies with type)
    -One or more SLAs (again, varies)
    -Ability to summon another of its kind
    -DR 5/magic
    -Darkvision 60
    -Fast Healing 2
    Last edited by Volthawk; 2010-06-11 at 07:41 AM.