New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

Default The Price of a Mercenary and a +1 magic weapon (D&D 3.5E)

One thing that I've thought a lot about since I read this episode of Chainmain Bikini. And that is, what is the cost of a mercenary? A 1st level human warrior. Surely a 1st level human warrior is a cheaper than 1000 gp, and since that's the market price of a +1 weapon, wouldn't a smart player trade in the +1 weapon for a normal weapon and use the gold to hire a mercenary or two?

I mean, a +1 to hit and damage is nice, but an entire new standard action and 8 hit points of meat shield is better. Right?

So does anyone know what a 1st level human warrior mercenary would cost in an average D&D 3.5E world?
    Black text is for sarcasm, also sincerity. You'll just have to read between the lines and infer from context like an animal

2. - Top - End - #2
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: The Price of a Mercenary and a +1 magic weapon (D&D 3.5E)

How long do several people start to add up to 1,000 gold. Food, travel expenses, are you going to heal them/take care of their wounds? Where are you going to put them up for the night? You have to pay for all that. That 1,000 gold is going to shrink, and boy howdy will it shrink fast.
    My Current Works

Quote Originally Posted by Serpentine View Post
    Also I'm pretty sure you're GLaDoS now.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

Mercenaries die. A dead mercenary isn't worth anything unless you cough up even more money to resurrect him. And cheap mercenaries are going to die fast. This strategy is only good at low levels, (which brings up the scenario of wizards selling their spell books for a veritable army of dogs), not after that.

A +1 sword will always be a +1 sword, it will continue to hold it's value unless it's destroyed, and it's much harder to destroy a +1 sword then to destroy a mercenary.
    The only thing worse than an empty signature is one that has nothing at all to say. One that simply yammers on with little or no point; quietly, subtly draining away seconds of your life.

The worst are the ones that look like they have a point. Multiple paragraph monstrosities that you're sure will have some sort of satisfying conclusion. Some sort of goal, to show that your reading was not in vain.

It doesn't and it was.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

A&EG gives prices for mercenaries... and they're quite cheap. But remember, traditionally mercs got a piece of the loot pie. So they might get expensive that way when your payday comes.

Animals, however, are even better. They're quite cheap (consider the Warbeast template from MMII to get prices) and incredibly effective... and once you have them, all they want is food. The price of something like a Magebreed Warbeast Desmoderu Hunting Bat is shockingly low for what you get... and you can get far bigger and nastier stuff too (but make sure they have good movement options, or they get left behind).

JaronK

5. - Top - End - #5
    Banned

SwashbucklerGuy

DR magic. A +1 sword can beat it; 1,000gp worth of mercenaries (usually) can't.
    Last edited by bosssmiley; 2010-02-21 at 09:00 AM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

A +1 sword lets you fight better with no drawbacks except for the cost. A mercenary is a human(or humanoid at any rate) being who has to eat, sleep, breathe, takes more space and will have opinions and thoughts on his(her) own. When facing an ogre barbarian with a belt of skulls, a +1 sword won't say "screw that, no money is worth it". A mercenary warrior likely will.
    Last edited by Morty; 2010-02-21 at 09:14 AM.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mastikator View Post
    One thing that I've thought a lot about since I read this episode of Chainmain Bikini. And that is, what is the cost of a mercenary? A 1st level human warrior. Surely a 1st level human warrior is a cheaper than 1000 gp, and since that's the market price of a +1 weapon, wouldn't a smart player trade in the +1 weapon for a normal weapon and use the gold to hire a mercenary or two?
    Unless you mean selling value not market value:
    Psst, +1 Armor is 1000 gp. 2000 gp for +1 weapon.

8. - Top - End - #8

Quote Originally Posted by jackattack View Post
    What I wanted to say
    This is it.
    "All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes to make it possible." - T.E. Lawrence

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Cohorts typically want a half share of treasure or some similar amount of money. Mercs could reasonable expect the same. Followers only require equipping, but are generally too weak to be used as mercenaries. Laborers usually only want a few silvers, and craftsmen a few gold, but both are unlikely to go anywhere near danger. What jack posted is only for laborers, and is a bit silly for a life-threatening job requiring a high degree of training.
    Last edited by ericgrau; 2010-02-21 at 01:33 PM.
    So you never have to interrupt a game to look up a rule again:
    My 3.5e Rules Cheat Sheets: Normal, With Consolidated Skill System
    TOGC's 3.5e Spell/etc Cards: rpgnow / drivethru rpg
    Utilities: Magic Item Shop Generator (Req. MS Excel), Balanced Low Magic Item System
    Printable Cardstock Dungeon Tiles and other terrain stuff (100 MB)

10. - Top - End - #10

Mercs are already getting paid - anything extra is a bonus.
    "All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes to make it possible." - T.E. Lawrence

11. - Top - End - #11
    Firbolg in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by jackattack View Post
    So let's say that a party wants to hire two 3rd Level mercenaries for an adventure. They agree to the standard daily rate.
    3rd-level? That's a bit optimistic, isn't it? I would have thought 1st-level warriors were more likely. 3rd-level ones would likely expect to be paid a good deal more.
    I'm the author of the Alex Verus series of urban fantasy novels. Fated is the first, and the final book in the series, Risen, is out as of December 2021. For updates, check my blog!

12. - Top - End - #12

They should be first level, yes - I missed that part.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Starbuck_II View Post
    Unless you mean selling value not market value:
    Psst, +1 Armor is 1000 gp. 2000 gp for +1 weapon.
    Psst, +1 Armor is 1000 (+1) + 150 (Masterwork) + (Base armor cost), and +1 Weapon is 2000 (+1) + 300 (Masterwork) + (Base weapon cost).
    Quote Originally Posted by Faleldir
    By RAW, you can Craft three gold coins out of one, but that's probably not what you meant.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ravens_cry View Post
    You can also get the regeneration of limbs and even eventually raise the dead. Does that make casual amputation and murder an OK thing?

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Saph View Post
    3rd-level? That's a bit optimistic, isn't it? I would have thought 1st-level warriors were more likely. 3rd-level ones would likely expect to be paid a good deal more.
    Well, A&EG lists a 3rd level mercenary (with chainmail, longspear and a short sword) as costing 165gp to hire plus a 6sp daily wage (if I'm reading this right). The cheapest ones are foot skirmishers that cost 21gp and 2sp daily wage. This is assuming you hire them with their own equipment. Equipping them yourself is cheaper.. The mounted units cost more,but also higher level, reaching 1,671 gp+24 sp wage for a level 12 mercenary. If a +1 weapon (enchantment.. Damn nitpicking! ) is worth like a level 12th mercenary following you around..
    Last edited by Sliver; 2010-02-21 at 01:50 PM.
    A wise monk trains both mind and body, but a smart monk is actually a swordsage.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Noble Savant View Post
    Mercenaries die. A dead mercenary isn't worth anything unless you cough up even more money to resurrect him. And cheap mercenaries are going to die fast. This strategy is only good at low levels, (which brings up the scenario of wizards selling their spell books for a veritable army of dogs), not after that.
    And then gets chopped up for various spell components, constructs and undead. They also give great information about HOW they died with a heal check. And you can loot your gold back.

A +1 sword will always be a +1 sword, it will continue to hold it's value unless it's destroyed, and it's much harder to destroy a +1 sword then to destroy a mercenary.[/QUOTE]

Rust monster. Etherial filtcher. Disjunction. Teevs. Rust monsters....
    Last edited by Vizzerdrix; 2010-02-21 at 02:48 PM.
    ,,,,^..^,,,,

Quote Originally Posted by Haldir View Post
    Edit- I understand it now, Fighters are like a status symbol. If you're well off enough to own a living Fighter, you must be pretty well off!

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, the mercenary obviously represents much more force than a +1 sword. The quantity of mercenaries that a +1 sword buys is orders of magnitude more force.

*but*
    A mercenary needs to be shepherded into position. You can quite easily get a mercenary across a field or stream. Getting one secretly into the enemy camp is trickier. Getting one across the country quickly is tough. Getting one insane enough to enter the Trapped Crypt of PelorEaters is expensive and difficult; getting one to survive the first kobold ambush is nigh-impossible.

So if you are doing special ops (as PCs ought), a mercenary might not be wise to bring along. If you are doing brute military force, by all means hire all the mercs in the area. The prince still gets a magic sword in addition to all the guards you can fit around him.