New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1

Default What to make for a newish player in a high power group... [3.5e]

I have a fleshworld group with a new player joining (new to D&D, not just new to this group), and it is a __VERY__ high power game, what should I make for him that has fun tricks, but not enough to make his head explode?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Banned

Default Re: What to make for a newish player in a high power group... [3.5e]

Quote Originally Posted by Lord of Syntax View Post
    I have a fleshworld group with a new player joining (new to D&D, not just new to this group), and it is a __VERY__ high power game, what should I make for him that has fun tricks, but not enough to make his head explode?
    Crusader or warblade.

Alternately, binder or dragonfire adept. Great with the right feats.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

Depends on the player's general capability. If he's likely to take a while getting used to D&D before he's ready to spread his own wings, DFA is fantabulous. Alternatively, if he's the type to dive straight in, ToB would be better.

Essentially, I'm totally agreeing with Lycanthromancer, except on the Binder part, since from what I've seen, they're not straight-forward to play, even once built.
    I started my first campaign around a campfire, having pancakes. They were blueberry.
    My homebrew(updated 6/17):

4. - Top - End - #4
    Colossus in the Playground

Give him a Barbarian. They're easy to play, take a long time to kill and his friends can buff him in case of whatever.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

5. - Top - End - #5
    Firbolg in the Playground

Yeah, before I read the other responses, I was already going to say "Dragonfire Adept."
    You can call me Draz.
    Trophies:
    Spoiler
    Show

Also of note:

I have a number of ongoing projects that I manically jump between to spend my free time ... so don't be surprised when I post a lot about something for a few days, then burn out and abandon it.
    ... yes, I need to be tested for ADHD.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

If he goes DFA, make sure he grabs the feat Entangling Exhalation. It is to DFAs what Spell Focus is to wizards.
    I started my first campaign around a campfire, having pancakes. They were blueberry.

7. - Top - End - #7

The party is a Dark Chaos Shuffling Anthropomorphic Bat (+6 to Wis) DMM: Persist abusing Cleric/Sovereign Speaker/Contemplative (6 bonus domains between them (for Dark Chaos Shuffle fuel))//Druid/Planar Shepard (me), and some other gawdly overpowered builds I don't know.
    Last edited by Lord of Syntax; 2010-02-21 at 10:07 PM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Banned

The party is a Dark Chaos Shuffling Anthropomorphic Bat (+6 to Wis) DMM: Persist abusing Cleric/Sovereign Speaker/Contemplative (6 bonus domains between them!)//Druid/Planar Shepard (me), and some other gawdly overpowered builds I don't know.
    d2 crusader, then.
    Last edited by Lycanthromancer; 2010-02-21 at 10:29 PM.

9. - Top - End - #9

The party is a Dark Chaos Shuffling Anthropomorphic Bat (+6 to Wis) DMM: Persist abusing Cleric/Sovereign Speaker/Contemplative (6 bonus domains between them!)//Druid/Planar Shepard (me), and some other gawdly overpowered builds I don't know.
    Ah. OK, a run-of-the-mill DFA with Entangling Exhalation will probably be a little ... impotent, then.

In that case, I'm thinking maybe he should use something that's normally ridiculously broken, and count on his inexperience with the game to tone him down to non-game-breaking levels. Tainted Scholar, maybe?

... No, wait, I've got it: Hulking Hurler abuse. Possibly on a Tauric Template creature. It doesn't get much simpler than "My turn? I throw another boulder. 4287d6 damage."
    Last edited by Draz74; 2010-02-21 at 10:07 PM.
    You can call me Draz.
    Trophies:
    Spoiler
    Show

Also of note:

I have a number of ongoing projects that I manically jump between to spend my free time ... so don't be surprised when I post a lot about something for a few days, then burn out and abandon it.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Set him up with an ubercharger build with irrelevent flaws for bonus feats. Help him pick out really good magical gear. That should at least let him contribute to a party like this. And buff him.
    Click the spoiler to see all the great games I design:
    Spoiler
    Show

Who Beats Who? the hilariously geeky game of hypothetical battles.

Who has two thumbs (up) and a board game coming out from Rio Grande? This guy. Gladiators (Rio Grande)

PIZZA IN SPAAAAACE! Cambridge Games Facotry and Spoiled Flush Games Cosmic Pizza coming soon.

Matrix Solitaire, likely the best Solitaire game you will ever play.
    Spoiled Flush Games

Twitter... where I talk about game design and beer.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

wink Re: What to make for a newish player in a high power group... [3.5e]

Pun-Pun?..
    I kid.

However, Have you thought of Wizard lock-down / Batman?
    Can never go wrong with one of those, and played right not much can beat it.

Plus its good fun ;]
    RP him as Insane :D

12. - Top - End - #12
    Banned

Vow of Poverty Dragonfire Inspiration/Snowflake Wardance bard/crusader/sublime chord (1)/jade phoenix mage? Focusing on White Raven maneuvers?

Buff while you buff while you buff in the buff?
    Last edited by Lycanthromancer; 2010-02-21 at 10:15 PM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

The party is a Dark Chaos Shuffling Anthropomorphic Bat (+6 to Wis) DMM: Persist abusing Cleric/Sovereign Speaker/Contemplative (6 bonus domains between them (for Dark Chaos Shuffle fuel))//Druid/Planar Shepard (me), and some other gawdly overpowered builds I don't know.
    Oh, oh god. I can't tell where one build ends and the next begins.

14. - Top - End - #14

It is all me, yay gestalt!

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

What the GM throws at you? Twice Betrayer? Ike Tarrasques? Tarrasques as MOB?

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

The party is a Dark Chaos Shuffling Anthropomorphic Bat (+6 to Wis) DMM: Persist abusing Cleric/Sovereign Speaker/Contemplative (6 bonus domains between them (for Dark Chaos Shuffle fuel))//Druid/Planar Shepard (me)
    You want a newish player to play in such a grou???

Well.... maybe an incantrix// factotum would be nice...give him a magic item of Spellcraft so he can persist, extend sculpt, what ever he wants multiple times per round
    Just call me Dusk

Dming: Eyes of the Lich Queen IC OOC

17. - Top - End - #17

NecromancerGuy

Iron Chef in the Playground veteran since Round IV. Play as me!

Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #18

I still say this whole situation is precisely why the Hulking Hurler exists.
    You can call me Draz.
    Trophies:
    Spoiler
    Show

Also of note:

19. - Top - End - #19

We are a preexisting group, we are now doing a high powered campaign.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Banned

We are a preexisting group, we are now doing a high powered campaign.
    You horrifically cruel man, you.

[edit] Really, your best bet is to make him into something that gives everyone else more actions. White Raven maneuvers.

Warblade/crusader//factotum?

Play him as an egomaniacal Sun Tzu, playing with the battlefield like a chessboard, moving his pawns on a whim.

Simple, elegant, and able to keep up with the party by making their power his own.
    Last edited by Lycanthromancer; 2010-02-21 at 10:33 PM.

21. - Top - End - #21

Yes, perhaps...toning things down might be a good idea. If it's a new player, gestalting together two Tier-1 classes is not a good introduction for them. Having said that, Arcane Swordsage might be what you need.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

22. - Top - End - #22
    Troll in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

++to the hulking hurler.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Bugbear in the Playground

Maybe some sort of bard with Inspire Courage/Dragonfire Inspiration optimization. As long as the player remembers to sing every combat, they're helping out the party. Beyond that, they can experiment around with a wide range of options without seriously detracting from the group's power.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

Hellfire Glaivelock with a level dip in Binder for Strongheart Vest, and Legacy Champion to promote Hellfire Warlock to stupid levels

He has a short list of fun abilities, can crank out stupid D6's, and has some utility with things like Chilling Tentacles, plus being surprisingly difficult to kill.

Here's how I'd run things:

Eldritch Glaive, Eldritch Spear (for when they try to stay away), and Dark One's Own Luck to help him survive SoD situations for Least invocations

I'd also give him Voratious Dispelling as an Invocation, because sometimes when dealing with a Batman Wizard, the best thing to do is strip him. Plus Flee The Scene. He's gonna need hellrime blast to qualify for HFW

For greater, you got options. Chilling Tentacles are fun, so is Vitriolic Blast and Eldritch Cone/Chain. But there's some fun toys here

And for Dark invocations, you simply cannot go wrong with Utterdark Blast.

Make him a Pixie, and buy off the LA as you progress. That gives you Flight, Greater Invisibility, and Tiny size for better AC. Also, a huge beam of energy erupting from a tiny pixie is simply amusing.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Underlord View Post
    All hail great Shneekeythulhu! Ia Ia Shneeky fthagn
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quite possibly, the best rebuttal I have ever witnessed.
    Joker Bard - the DM's solution to the Batman Wizard.
    Takahashi no Onisan - The scariest Samurai alive
    Incarnum and YOU: a reference guide
    Soulmelds, by class and slot: Another Incarnum reference
    Multiclassing for Newbies: A reference guide for the rest of us

My homebrew world in progress: Falcora

25. - Top - End - #25

It is starting at lvl 11.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

It is starting at lvl 11.
    Gestalt game, right? Here's what you do:

Pixie4/WhateverClass6//Warlock6/HFW3/Bloodline2

Alternately,

Crusader/Cleric/RKV

That ought to be fun
    Quote Originally Posted by The Underlord View Post
    All hail great Shneekeythulhu! Ia Ia Shneeky fthagn
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quite possibly, the best rebuttal I have ever witnessed.
    Joker Bard - the DM's solution to the Batman Wizard.
    Takahashi no Onisan - The scariest Samurai alive
    Incarnum and YOU: a reference guide
    Soulmelds, by class and slot: Another Incarnum reference
    Multiclassing for Newbies: A reference guide for the rest of us

My homebrew world in progress: Falcora

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ShneekeyTheLost View Post
    Hellfire Glaivelock with a level dip in Binder for Strongheart VestNaberious , and Legacy Champion to promote Hellfire Warlock to stupid levels

He has a short list of fun abilities, can crank out stupid D6's, and has some utility with things like Chilling Tentacles, plus being surprisingly difficult to kill.

Here's how I'd run things:

Eldritch Glaive, Eldritch Spear (for when they try to stay away), and Dark One's Own Luck to help him survive SoD situations for Least invocations

I'd also give him Voratious Dispelling as an Invocation, because sometimes when dealing with a Batman Wizard, the best thing to do is strip him. Plus Flee The Scene. He's gonna need hellrime blast to qualify for HFW

For greater, you got options. Chilling Tentacles are fun, so is Vitriolic Blast and Eldritch Cone/Chain. But there's some fun toys here

And for Dark invocations, you simply cannot go wrong with Utterdark Blast.

Make him a Pixie, and buy off the LA as you progress. That gives you Flight, Greater Invisibility, and Tiny size for better AC. Also, a huge beam of energy erupting from a tiny pixie is simply amusing.
    Fixed that for you, and Strongheart vest is incarnium
    Just call me Dusk

Dming: Eyes of the Lich Queen IC OOC

28. - Top - End - #28
    Bugbear in the Playground

I bet you if this guy even takes one glimpse of your characters' sheets he's going to be confused, majorly.

If you want someone to learn the ropes, don't drop them into an 11th level min-maxed gestalt game. Do you really expect him to say "Geeh, I think I've got the hang of this now" after the first 3 sessions?

Seriously, just do a one-off with the guy, using regular rules at low level. After he's broken in a bit, let him join your other game. At least that way he's prepared.

Also, if he's really a newbie, he could consider getting a copy of NWN2. While it's not a perfect intepretation of 3.5, he should be able to pick up some of the rules from that and at least learn which kind of character he likes.

Recently resurrected. Sorry for bailing on you guys.

"Never play leapfrog with a unicorn"
    Awesome OOTSatar by Crimmy, masterfully done.

29. - Top - End - #29

Is is not a "newbie", he just does not have much experience, I can explain the gaps, and the other players wont wait, and it is all ready been timeshifted for me...[/drama]
    We need someone for the role of the corpse front-line combatant.
    Last edited by Lord of Syntax; 2010-02-22 at 04:39 AM.

30. - Top - End - #30

Druid. Easy, easily powerful enough to carry anyone through. No. Wrong. Choices. Oh, and yeah, pretty fcking good frontliner.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.