New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

Quick Question: Help me pick for spell mastery

My wizard 9 / Initiate of the Sevenfold Veil 2 is going to turn 12th level soon (a relative term, as we game pretty much monthly), and I'm going to take Spell Mastery as his 12th level feat. Eron's Int is 25, and will be going up to 26- meaning he'll be able to choose 8 spells. Because our houseruled IotSV loses a level of spell access (but not caster level), I currently only have 5th level spells (same spell slots as a 10th level wizard currently, which will become 11th level).

SPELLS KNOWN SO FAR:
    Spoiler
    Show

1-
    Charm Person
    Color Spray
    Comprehend Languages
    Disguise Self
    Enlarge (Enlarge Person)
    Expedite (Expeditious Retreat)
    Feather Fall
    Identify
    Mage Armor
    Magic Missile
    Protection from Evil
    Shield
    Silent Image
    Summon Monster I
    True Strike

2-
    Command Undead
    Darkness (this is basically the 3.0 version of darkness)
    Fox's Cunning
    Luminous Swarm (CompArcane, debuff one target giving them a 20% miss chance and they might take damage over 5 rounds)
    Mirror Image
    Rope Trick
    Scorching Ray
    See Invisibility
    Summon Monster II

3-
    Blink
    Dispel Magic
    Displacement
    Fireball
    Fly
    Haste
    Invisibility (all invis spells are +1 level in this game)
    Major Image

4-
    Assay Resistance (Complete Mage or Arcane, helps defeat SR)
    Charm Monster
    Defenestrating Sphere
    Dimention Door
    Dimensional Anchor
    Invisibility Sphere
    Polymorph (this is per the rules, so it's definitely in)
    Remove Curse
    Solid Fog

5-
    Baleful Polymorph
    Break Enchantment
    Channeled Lifetheft
    Magic Jar
    Mass Fly (Complete Something)
    Permanency
    Teleport (obviously this is one of them)

So, 8 slots.

1- Teleport
    2- Polymorph
    3-
    4-
    5-
    6-
    7-
    8-

Since I'll have access to 6th level spells as I level, I could throw them in here- for instance, disintegrate might be helpful if imprisoned, and greater dispelling might make the cut. So feel free to suggest some 6th level spells.

Note that I *do* have access to other spells if I'm willing to pay- for instance, there's always been something more important to spend gold on that glitterdust, even though it's really good.

My goal with this feat, I think, would be to be able to be minimally functional should my two spellbooks get lost or stolen, but also to help in the situation where I need to memorize spells under duress.

I'm aware that there are more powerful feats as well! This isn't a question about them :P

I have access to Eschew Materials, Quicken Spell and Empower Spell. I have Arcane Thesis: Fireball, my one nod to being able to fill the role of decent damage. I have both Spell Focus and Greater Spell Focus Abjuration, as all Initiates are skilled with Abjuration. Not that I know any Abjuration spells with saving throws to be improved, but, hey. I also have Skill Focus: Spellcraft, not that that's of any great importance!

2. - Top - End - #2

Default Re: Quick Question: Help me pick for spell mastery

Teleport and Polymorph are good choices.

3: Glitterdust or Pyrotechnics (either one)
    4: Dispelling Screen (Spell Compendium)
    5: Wall of Stone
    6: Shadow Evocation or Conjuration

Are you taking Uncanny Forethought too?

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

My suggestions, for a all-around functional list based on what you already have:

Teleport, Polymorph, Invisibility, Rope Trick, Protection from Evil, Solid Fog, Scorching Ray, Disintegrate.

With that set, you can get anywhere, run from anything, have a few ways to kill stuff, turn into anything, and rest anywhere. It's a good "get out of dodge and get my spellbooks back" list.

I would try and get Fireball on there... but honestly, you need a level 6 effect, and I just like good ol' Face Melter (Disintegrate).
    Last edited by arguskos; 2010-02-22 at 02:21 PM.

All that I say applies only to myself. You author your own actions and choices. I cannot and will not be responsible for you, nor are you for me, regardless of situation or circumstance.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

I assume if your spellbook is gone it was either stolen or you were captured. Either way your first priority is getting to your backup spellbook. So most of the spells so far are excellent, and I shall add:
    1: Silent Image
    3: Invisibility

OTOH, including 1 or 2 combat spells may be good too in case you need to get to another area before teleporting and for some reason tricks aren't enough. Disintegrate is excellent for this because it affects both walls and creatures. If you pick any control spells as your combat spells, make sure they fully disable the target for at least a few rounds, since your allies may or may not be with you. Wall of stone is probably good, but not solid fog. Direct damage will be better than usual for a similar reason. Picking spells of different level is handy because then you can prepare multiple copies of the same spell for each level.
    Last edited by ericgrau; 2010-02-22 at 02:56 PM.
    So you never have to interrupt a game to look up a rule again:
    My 3.5e Rules Cheat Sheets: Normal, With Consolidated Skill System
    TOGC's 3.5e Spell/etc Cards: rpgnow / drivethru rpg
    Utilities: Magic Item Shop Generator (Req. MS Excel), Balanced Low Magic Item System
    Printable Cardstock Dungeon Tiles and other terrain stuff (100 MB)