New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

tongue Best Books for a DM to own? (3.5e)

In your opinions, what are the best books for a DM to physically own for playing 3.5e?

I have access to tons of DnD resources on my PC, but having a pdf (or the SRD) and having a book in your hand are completely different.

At the moment I have physical copies of:

The Player's Handbook 3.5e
    Dungeon Master's Guide 3.5e
    Monster Manual 3.5e
    Tome of Battle
    Cityscape (borrowed)
    Heroes of Battle (borrowed)

AD&D DM Guide
    The Spell Compendium

For basic information about feats or base classes I can print out pages or copy a few sentences down from a random book off my PC. What I'm looking for are books that are especially useful to have in-hand while playing or for constant use.

I've been told that a copy of the DM Guide II 3.5e has a lot of useful information for DMs on how to roleplay. I've been told the same thing about Player's Handbook II 3.5e but for players (which might concern me less since I'm a DM). The Magic Items Compendium seems very desireable for generating magical items outside of the basic magic items from the DM guide. And the Arms and Equipment Guide looks like it could be useful, however I think it's 3e and might be the same stuff that's featured in the Magic Items Compendium.

Any information you can give about which books you find the most useful as a DM, think could help me improve my skills as a DM, or add a lot to the game by having in-hand would be much appreciated.

*edit*

Also, does anyone know any good places to purchase 3.5e books online other than amazon or ebay?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Pixie in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Lightbulb Re: Best Books for a DM to own? (3.5e)

Well, I recommend the Monster Manual II, but III and onward just gets silly. I have everything I need for creatures in I and II. In addition, I have found that Complete Warrior helped me a lot in my mercenary campaign.
    Last edited by Jodo Krast; 2010-02-22 at 06:49 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Best Books for a DM to own? (3.5e)

Unearthed Arcana.

On the downside, much of it is on the SRD, making it less attractive to buy....but on the upside, the book is practically designed for DMs. All sorts of fun alternative options, it's an exciting book for those of us who like to toy with things.

Arms and equipment is much more mundane focused than MiC is...but frankly, MiC is better. Vastly better item balance in general than the DMG, and it introduces a lot of variety. Item sets are kind of cool too, as are adding bonuses to existing gear.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Pixie in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by Jodo Krast View Post
    Well, I recommend the Monster Manual II, but III and onward just gets silly. I have everything I need for creatures in I and II. In addition, I have found that Complete Warrior helped me a lot in my mercenary campaign.
    Ha! I quoted myself!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

I'd say the magic item compendium has made all levels of play for my group more fun.

The spell compendium... eh, not so much. It only powers up casters.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Pixie in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

I agree, Chrono22. The book Complete ARcane also makes spellcasters too powerful. One of the other people in a group I'm in is a wizard, and they recently got that book. Now they're hogging all the XP and treasure.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

As a DM the following are good books.
    Tome of Battle is a great book if you want to run a war or an over arching conflict in your campaign.
    Lords of Madness, Elder Evils, Book of Vile Darkness, Exemplars of Evil, the Fiend Folios(1,2) Libris Mortis and Heroes of Horror are all great evil themed books for a DM dealing with a party of good players.
    Conversely the Book of Exalted Deeds, and the like are great for DMs with evil parties.
    Book of Challenges is a good one.
    Arms and Equipment is an awesome gear book.
    Enemies and Allies is good for developing npcs.
    Manual of the Planes is essential in case your party unexpectedly leaves the material.

There are tons of great books out there.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Pixie in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

I agree, Chrono22. The book Complete ARcane also makes spellcasters too powerful. One of the other people in a group I'm in is a wizard, and they recently got that book. Now they're hogging all the XP and treasure.
    God, I hate Resonant Lightning Bolt.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Pixie in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Exclamation Re: Best Books for a DM to own? (3.5e)

Tip: you don't really need the Epic Level Handbook, even if you players go past 20th level. It's just a waste of paper in my opinion.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

DMG2 is pretty good actually. PHB2 is also good, even as a DM (give it to your players for sparking ideas).

I personally like Elder Evils as well, just because it's got a lot of good adventure outlines, which can help you build a good campaign yourself.

All that I say applies only to myself. You author your own actions and choices. I cannot and will not be responsible for you, nor are you for me, regardless of situation or circumstance.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Pixie in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Also, the Psionics Handbook is good if you're planning on using mind flayers (who isn't). The Expanded Handbook isn't that good though. That's all the advice I've got.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Tip: you don't really need the Epic Level Handbook, even if you players go past 20th level. It's just a waste of paper in my opinion.
    This is true. Anything you could possibly want is on the SRD already. Mostly...epic feats and epic monsters are plenty. If someone tells you epic spellcasting exist, remember, it's a damn lie.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Firbolg in the Playground

Also, the Psionics Handbook is good if you're planning on using mind flayers (who isn't). The Expanded Handbook isn't that good though. That's all the advice I've got.

What? The Psionics Handbook 3.0 was replaced by the XPH. Which is a -far- better product. Not only is it more streamlined, but it gives alot of options. On top of improved Psion rules...well. The point is, Psionic's Handbook would require houserules. And why bother with a broken product?
    My Current Works

Quote Originally Posted by Serpentine View Post
    Also I'm pretty sure you're GLaDoS now.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

If you're looking for a book on mindflayers, Lords of Madness is the place to go. It's got all the abberation goodness you could possibly want and more.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

I've used info from an Unearthed Arcana pdf pretty regularly and really love the book. I'm not sure how much more useful it would be to have on hand all the time compared to just grabbing ideas off of every now and then.

I should probably also ask, are there any non-WoTC books that you've found useful?

*edit*

Aberrations are fun. That sounds tempting.

As far as psionics go, none of my players have shown any interest in it at all, so I may just avoid it completely in the campaign I'm setting up.
    Last edited by HunterOfJello; 2010-02-22 at 07:09 PM.

16. - Top - End - #16

DruidGirl

I'd like to add emphasis to the suggestion of Arms and Equipment. This book is great for world building. While the Magic Item Compendium is far superior for magic items, Arms and Equipment is a great source of useful nonmagical items. Any campaign or DM concerned with the logistics of travel, magical animal handling/training, economy and trade, or maintaining an army would greatly benefit from this book.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by HunterOfJello View Post
    I should probably also ask, are there any non-WoTC books that you've found useful?
    I enjoy a few of the mongoose books, but quality varies wildly. Their Ultimate Spell Compendium, for example, has an issue with far too many spells doing untyped damage. However, the class focused books tend to have a bunch of not-particularily powerful, but rather interesting and well fluffed options. Not campaign critical by any means, but something fun to read through for inspiration.

As far as psionics go, none of my players have shown any interest in it at all, so I may just avoid it completely in the campaign I'm setting up.
    If nobody is interested in them, that's exactly what I'd do, with a possible exception for a boss or something once to make them feel exotic. In general, it's easier to focus on the things people care about.

Edit: Oh, SBG fits in nicely with arms and equipment for building a believable world. Some excellent options in there, just mostly ignore the prices.
    Last edited by Tyndmyr; 2010-02-22 at 07:17 PM.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Barbarian in the Playground

Undearthed Arcana is a good one if you want to tweek rules. It's also a good read.
    Players Handbook II is pretty good.
    Spell Compendium and Magic Item Compendium are good, but some of the things can wreck your game.

From a development standpoint to write your own adventures I have found the following books really good works.

Fiendish Codex I and II (Tons of info on Demons and Devils)
    Frostburn (Freezing your players never felt so good)
    Book of Vial Darkness (It's Vial and it's dark)
    AEG's "Book of Evil" (very good incite into the mind of the bad guys)

Some of the Forgotten Realms books were good, the one on the Moonsea was a good read.
    Remember no matter where you go. There you are.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Pixie in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

I'm going to go ahead and inadvertently endorse Rich a bit here in saying that I absolutely love Dungeonscape. The dungeon elements and gear detailed within have proved to be of more than great use to me over the past few years. It's a spectacular book, and I'd highly recommend it.

For any online gaming material purchases, I use Troll and Toad. They've never failed me, and they run a great service.
    Last edited by Artemiz; 2010-02-22 at 07:25 PM. Reason: Noticed OP's final question

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

That's a very good point. See, the thing is, other campaign settings, like frostburn or stormwrack, are unlikely to be included in a campaign unless you plan specifically to focus on that.

Cityscape and Dungeonscape are extremely likely to be useful without any particular campaign direction, and thus, you'll get more use out of them.

I do like the others, particularily stormwrack, but Ive never played a full campaign on the water, even in 7th Sea, yet it's extremely rare that Im in a campaign where cities and dungeons don't feature prominently.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Pixie in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Tyndmyr View Post
    Cityscape and Dungeonscape are extremely likely to be useful without any particular campaign direction, and thus, you'll get more use out of them.
    Ive never played a full campaign on the water, even in 7th Sea, yet it's extremely rare that Im in a campaign where cities and dungeons don't feature prominently.
    Very true. I can honestly say that I crack open Dungeonscape at least a couple times with every dungeon I design, and my players even use it during sessions to buy gear from.

22. - Top - End - #22

Might I suggest Magic of Incarnum? Complex six ways to Sunday, but a great resource for unique character builds.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Banned

Chimera

Any of the complete series is nice to have for NPC and Villian generation. I like stronghold builder with dungeonscape to make detailed dungeons or for my PCs to eventually take hold of.

Monster manuals 1-5. You should have them especially if you have players that know every iconic monster, this can really shake them up and add some new flavor to the same old same old.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Halfling in the Playground

I second DMG2, it basically has useful tips and tricks for being a solid DM, and ideas about and for NPC's, PC's, organizations, and locations. I think it complements the DMG really well. And MIC is very good to have a physical copy of too. Good luck!

25. - Top - End - #25
    Barbarian in the Playground

I like campaign setting books. Even if I don't use the setting, I can often transplant stuff into my game.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

I'll also toss out Tome of Magic. If you want some fairly complex magic systems to shake things around and really put a fire under your players boots, the Binder and Shadowcaster can provide. Just remember: there is no Truenamer.

All that I say applies only to myself. You author your own actions and choices. I cannot and will not be responsible for you, nor are you for me, regardless of situation or circumstance.

27. - Top - End - #27

MIC is a must-have, period. The sheer number of items tables, not to mention how much better everything is done in there... it's worth getting just for that. Plus, it's full of lovely items. That would be my first buy.
    For people who enjoy reading or writing.

Spoiler
    Show

Awesome banner/avatar by El_Frenchie!

Play chess? Look me up! (bwaa)

Formerly known as lordhenry4000

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tyndmyr View Post
    Unearthed Arcana.
    Seconded. It simply amplifies by 1000 your ability of world building.

Heroes of Horror and Manual of the Planes, I found very inspiring, too.
    Warning: my time zone and internet acces may lead to strange/late post answers.
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Kurald Galain View Post
    The rogue isn't really using charisma in melee, the rogue is applying Ability Score #6 to his Type-One attacks.
    Quote Originally Posted by ken-do-nim View Post
    DMing is how you turn D&D from a game into a hobby.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maroon View Post
    Players can see a story where there isn't one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldariel View Post
    For 4.0? I expect them to whine to the DM until he makes the big bad boogeyman go away.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by HunterOfJello View Post
    All the mongoose Slayer's Guide to are really interesting and add a lot of backstory to various monsters.
    I also liked the mongoose Encyclopaedia Arcane - Star Magic quite a lot
    Last edited by Emmerask; 2010-02-23 at 02:59 AM.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grommen View Post
    Fiendish Codex I and II (Tons of info on Demons and Devils)
    I cannot do anything except join this recommendation. They're both GREAT for fluff and ideas.
    Also, merely for the fluff, I suggest the manual of the Planes (AD&D), with description of Sigil, the Factions, etc. etc.
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself. I am large, I contain multitudes. (W.Whitman)

Things that increase my self esteem:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaiyanwang View Post
    Great analysis KA. I second all things you said
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeYounger View Post
    Great analysis KA, I second everything you said here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryu_Bonkosi View Post
    If I have a player using Paladin in the future I will direct them to this. Good job.
    Quote Originally Posted by grimbold View Post
    THIS is proof that KA is amazing
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'Dice Lost View Post
    Killer Angel, you have an excellent taste in books
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Historical zombies is a fantastic idea.