Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
Results 151 to 157 of 157
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Maxymiuk's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Potato Country
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: All a dwarf needs - the saga of the Zuntir Clan (DF Community Fort)

    "Well aren't our faces red, eh Dal?" Zenos remarked off-handedly.

    Dalantar's reply was lost in the cheer that went up from the dwarves gathered at the top of the tower, as the third goat went down under Khaine's axe.

    "What did you say?"
    "I said, looks like we underestimated him."
    "Yeah... Or overestimated the goats."
    "True, true. And he did have the axe. And all that nice armor. What did we do with ours anyway, do you remember?"
    "Had to sell it to pay off your tab, Dal."
    "Oh, right. Except that I'm pretty sure it was your tab, Zen."
    "Nah, I definitely remember having to drag you out of the inn because you were too drunk to stand."
    "Funny, because I distinctly recall that it was you that-"
    "Look, it doesn't matter anyway. There's more important things to talk about."
    "Oh yeah, like what?"
    "Like, what do we do if Goatslayer over there turns into an insufferable prick now that he's shown what a great warrior he is?"
    "You know Zen, that's what I like you for."
    "What's that?"
    "Your boundless optimism and positive outlook on life."

    ***

    "Shouldn't Khaine be back by now?" Celes asked, appearing from the kitchen stairway, tankard in hand.
    "Nah, he saw another herd up the stream, north of the camp and ran off after them. Terra's up in the tower keeping a lookout for when he does come back," Milski craned his neck to see what the brewer had in her tankard. "New batch? You could've brought some for us, you know."
    "It's just prickeberry wine," Celes shrugged, plopping down on a seat. "Plenty of that right there behind you."
    "Well, yeah, but nothing beats the first mug from a freshly tapped barrel. Especially if it's your brew."
    "Flatterer," Celes snorted. "So who let him out?"
    "The same question me and Idked were disputing just as you joined us."
    "And it's not just us," Idked rose to refill his tankard. "Obadiah's been running around, shouting that at people for the past hour."
    "Any guesses so far?"
    "You, actually," Milski grinned.
    "Me?! Don't be ridiculous!"
    "Well, most of us were busy laying that blasted roof. Not counting Amost, that leaves four people who could've walked up to that lever unseen: Terra, Derek, Xeper, and you."
    "I thought Terra was helping with the roof."
    "Yeah, but she'd been gone down to the quarry to bring up more stone. But it couldn't be her, on account of her going ballistic when she found out what Khaine's doing. I think half the reason she's up in the tower right now is to have a high place from which to drop a rock on him once he does come back."
    "It couldn't be Derek," Idked stated, "because he's not an idiot." The other two nodded in agreement.
    "And it couldn't be Xeper," Milski continued, "because she was down in the kitchen, digging out your room. So that leaves you."
    "What?!" Celes bristled. "You call that an argument? I was down there too, preparing dinner."
    "Yeah, but your stove is right next to the stairway. So if she was going to sneak out, you'd have seen her, but if it was you that had to disappear just for a few moments..." Idked shrugged.
    "Lurit's Tits... and did either of you brilliant deductors stopped to ask yourself why I'd do a damnfool thing like that?"
    "That's what we'd like to know," Milski leaned forward with a menacing smile, "Miss Thininks."
    "And what I'd like to know," Celes also leaned forward, "is what you two are planning to have for dinner tonight. Because whatever it is, it won't be coming from my kitchen."

    She leaned back and took a swig from her tankard in order to hide the grin creeping onto her face at the sight of their dismayed faces.

  2. - Top - End - #152
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Rockphed's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Near Giant Graffiti.
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: All a dwarf needs - the saga of the Zuntir Clan (DF Community Fort)

    How is it that Idked seems to get involved in everything? Did he make friends with everybody within a week of his arrival, or do you just like typing his name?

    Or is it just that you have barely a dozen people to work with, so they all get lots of screen time?
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

    Now offering unsolicited advice.

  3. - Top - End - #153
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Maxymiuk's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Potato Country
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: All a dwarf needs - the saga of the Zuntir Clan (DF Community Fort)

    Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    Or is it just that you have barely a dozen people to work with, so they all get lots of screen time?
    Partly this, partly the fact that I've established him as a spokesdwarf for the first group of migrants, so it's only natural that he'd get involved in what's going on at the camp, and partly that we have so many individualists and solitary types, that I'm grasping for anyone to include as "one of the guys" - the group that sits around, knocks back beers, and gossips about anything and everything.
    Last edited by Maxymiuk; 2010-10-28 at 09:04 AM.

  4. - Top - End - #154
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Maxymiuk's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Potato Country
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: All a dwarf needs - the saga of the Zuntir Clan (DF Community Fort)

    Here's a few Stonesense screencaps of the camp for ya.

    Spoiler
    Show


    The tower looks more like a platform, I know.


    Most of the rooms are already dug and have beds, though there's a lot of furnishing still to be done.




    I have to say, Stonesense doesn't convince me to itself. I find the screenshots difficult to parse, even though I know exactly what I'm looking at (the way the program interprets wall colors certainly doesn't help). Furthermore, because it doesn't display the items I have stored in stockpiles all over the place, the camp ends up looking empty and lifeless.

  5. - Top - End - #155
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Rockphed's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Near Giant Graffiti.
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: All a dwarf needs - the saga of the Zuntir Clan (DF Community Fort)

    Quote Originally Posted by Maxymiuk View Post
    Here's a few Stonesense screencaps of the camp for ya.

    Spoiler
    Show


    The tower looks more like a platform, I know.
    Looking at this screenie, it looks like there is a hole in your wall. On the upper right wall on the second level. It could just be that the ground is a level lower right there, or it could be a problem with stone sense.

    Speaking of which, I think the most useful part of stone sense would be if you can show just the floor of a cavern. Well, unless your cavern is even more convoluted than the third level in my current game, where I think there is a twenty level difference between the top and bottom.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

    Now offering unsolicited advice.

  6. - Top - End - #156
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Maxymiuk's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Potato Country
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: All a dwarf needs - the saga of the Zuntir Clan (DF Community Fort)

    Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    Looking at this screenie, it looks like there is a hole in your wall. On the upper right wall on the second level. It could just be that the ground is a level lower right there, or it could be a problem with stone sense.
    If this is the part you mean:



    Then yeah, I think it's a problem with Stonesense, since here's the same section as viewed in DF:



    Besides, if there were any holes, I've had undead waltz close enough to the camp that they'd have been able to path inside.

    Incidentally, sorry about yet another long break. Next update should be up within a couple of days.

  7. - Top - End - #157
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Rockphed's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Near Giant Graffiti.
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: All a dwarf needs - the saga of the Zuntir Clan (DF Community Fort)

    Yeah, that is what I was talking about. And, I think I can tell what is going on with that picture now that I know what it is inside DF. There is grass on top of the little cliff that blends in with the grass a level below. It is hard to tell where one bit of grass ends and another begins.
    Last edited by Rockphed; 2010-11-28 at 02:21 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

    Now offering unsolicited advice.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •