A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2
You can get A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2 now at Gumroad
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: All a dwarf needs - the saga of the Zuntir Clan (DF Community Fort)

Why do some people seem to have the idea that we're on a glacier? The non-mountain quarter of the embark is a nice grassland with a smattering of trees. It's just that everything's buried under a pile of snow. There's even a stream out there, for cripes sake.

So no, tunneling under a glacier won't work, since we don't have one.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Ettin in the Playground

But digging straight down might. The top cavern layer is probably 20 - 30 levels down, and it might not have any water anywhere near where you are, and you don't have rope or chain to make a well anyway, so you would need to actually get down next to the water.

We're going to hope you last until the thaw.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Maxymiuk View Post
    Why do some people seem to have the idea that we're on a glacier?
    Because TLDR.

There's even a stream out there, for cripes sake.
    Well there you go. Dig under the frozen stream, cave-in the ice from the stream into an underground chamber as described previously, you have water until the stream thaws. If there are frozen pools, you can do the same with them.
    Last edited by Rollory; 2010-06-07 at 11:23 PM.

4. - Top - End - #64

Working on the next update now, it'll be up no sooner than tomorrow night though.

I'm just making this post to say that, by applying the scientific method, I found out that ice indeed does melt when you put it in an interior tile.

Though the "water" doesn't flow and I think it might be flagged as an item rather than a liquid (I can forbid/claim/dump it). Let's wait and see if the dwarves will attempt to drink it.
    Last edited by Maxymiuk; 2010-06-12 at 08:55 AM.

5. - Top - End - #65

Quote Originally Posted by Maxymiuk View Post
    Let's wait and see if the dwarves will attempt to drink it.
    I can only make a guess: Hilarity ensues.

And because it just wouldn’t be right if I didn’t; my immigration files:

Your name: Cobble.
    Your preferred gender: Male.
    Your profession (preferred/goal profession for anyone beyond the first six): Miner.
    Your reason for being called undwarven and exiled (optional for anyone beyond the first six): Someone called attention to his over-condescending attitude and tendency to give snarky remarks to the most mundane of comments, usually ones made by his superiors. That, and he was untidy.
    Last edited by Cobalt; 2010-06-12 at 09:11 AM.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Banned

That's what I said.

Quote Originally Posted by Rollory View Post
    If you mine out ice - so it is in blocks on the floor like stone - it's useless and undrinkable.
    The blocks melt and turn into those items, which the game doesn't recognize as drinks. (Unless he changed the behavior in 31, but I am pretty sure not)
    Last edited by Rollory; 2010-06-12 at 09:46 AM.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cobalt View Post
    Your name: Cobble.
    Your preferred gender: Male.
    Your profession (preferred/goal profession for anyone beyond the first six): Miner.
    Your reason for being called undwarven and exiled (optional for anyone beyond the first six): Someone called attention to his over-condescending attitude and tendency to give snarky remarks to the most mundane of comments, usually ones made by his superiors. That, and he was untidy.
    Based on your name, I was expecting rumors of spending too much time talking about Kobolds.
    Rockphed said it well.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

8. - Top - End - #68

Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    Based on your name, I was expecting rumors of spending too much time talking about Kobolds.
    I actually had a back-up back-story that involved Kobolds, but I felt that it gave too much justified reason to be kicked out by the nobles. Smack talk is much more rediculous.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Alright, let's start taking bets on who dies first.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cobalt View Post
    I actually had a back-up back-story that involved Kobolds, but I felt that it gave too much justified reason to be kicked out by the nobles. Smack talk is much more rediculous.
    Unless the problem was that you claimed to have killed a dozen kobolds and nobody believed you or nobody cared.
    Rockphed said it well.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Rollory View Post
    Well there you go. Dig under the frozen stream, cave-in the ice from the stream into an underground chamber as described previously, you have water until the stream thaws.
    Once the thaw happens won't that underground chamber get flooded? And when the stream re-freezes, would the water in the chamber also freeze because it's now connected to it? (I know in real life you'd expect a layer of ice to have liquid water under it, but this ain't real life ).

12. - Top - End - #72
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    Once the thaw happens won't that underground chamber get flooded? And when the stream re-freezes, would the water in the chamber also freeze because it's now connected to it? (I know in real life you'd expect a layer of ice to have liquid water under it, but this ain't real life ).
    I actually did the experiment in a previous fort - the surface water freezes, and maybe the water directly under it, the stuff under stone doesn't.

Anyway it doesn't matter so much - you just need something to drink and irrigate with while it's cold, by the time summer is over you probably have set up a more permanent reservoir with better flow control.

13. - Top - End - #73

"Enjoy your meal," Celes's tone of voice suggested trouble for anyone who wouldn't.

The brewer turned cook needn't have worried. It was meat, it was cooked and, above all else, it was hot. After two weeks of eating raw bits of meat - for that was how long it took her to set up something resembling a stove, scavenge branches and dead wood, thaw it, dry it, and get Raroy to carve several large chunks of galena (and that was when she wasn't busy chiseling blocks of slate into something resembling tables and chairs) which Jahjah mined out into serviceable pots and bowls - she could've burned the meal beyond recognition, and the others still would've eaten it.

"What's in the stew?" Obadiah asked, once they satiated the worst of their hunger. "If you don't mind betraying trade secrets, that is."
    "Guts," Celes said flatly.
    "Oh."
    "My stove is junk," she made a face. "It doesn't heat evenly, so innards stew is all you're getting for now. You'll have proper roast once it comes out differently than half-raw, half-charred."
    "We'll be thankful for anything you can make for us," Obadiah said quickly.
    "Not like you have a choice, do you now?"
    In any case, I would like to make an announcement," he banged his mug on the table two times for attention. Everyone's heads turned to him. "I've, er, been counting days. Since our departure from Mersethzuglar that is."
    "You mean us getting booted out to die."
    "We've been doing quite well avoiding that, I think."
    "Yeah, well, once the booze runs out. Only what, a fifth of the barrel left?"
    "In any case, according to my count, we have arrived here on the first of Granite," he made a significant pause."
    "So?" Celes shrugged. Most of the others also didn't seem to see anything special about the fact.
    "So it's the first day of spring, as well as the first day of a new year," Obadiah explained patiently. "The time of rebirth, of returning life, of new beginnings. Doesn't this seem significant somehow?"
    "He means the spring thaws are coming," they turned to look at Derek - the smith spoke so rarely that it still took others a moment to realize who the voice belonged to. "We will be able to catch fish, and gather plants."
    "Well, yes, but what I also meant was-"

But that was a leap of logic that everyone could make. Plants meant brewing. Brewing meant booze. Booze meant happiness. An excited mutter went up, and expectant faces turned to Celes, who threw her hands up in protest.

"Have you lot seen what our still looks like? That's right, you haven't, because we don't have one. Rocks won't work here - they absorb liquids too well, you can't make pipes out of them, and they heat up too slowly. If you want a proper brewery, you get me a proper copper still," she regarded their disappointed expressions for a long moment, before twisting her mouth into a smile. "I'm not saying I can't make any. Distilling's not the only way. Just the fastest one. You'll get your beer. But don't expect it'll be fast."

This place... no, for the moment, she had more important things on her mind.

The snow covering the valley was heavy, densely packed. It's been here all winter, melting on sunny days, freezing again during the nights, then being covered by a new layer. It was easier to walk on than if it were freshly fallen, but Raroy, used to the hard, flat floors of dwarven tunnels, still struggled to move faster than at a crawl.

She winced as the crossbow banged against her hip, which by now was one massive bruise, and cursed Zazit, the one responsible for making the crooked harness for the weapon and the quiver (which was, at the same time, rubbing her other hip raw). At the same time, she knew she had only herself to blame for volunteering as the group's hunter. But she thought Obadiah would've let her wait until the snows thawed before going off.

But no, "these are horses, Raroy," he said. "They move around a lot, especially in winter, when food is scarce." So off she went, tracking the herd along the western edge of the valley.

Following the horses was hardly any effort - the herd's tracks were perfectly visible in the otherwise undisturbed snow. Even with her lack of experience Raroy could tell where the horses walked, where they ran, and where they stopped for awhile to root through the snow in search of something edible. Her problem was, she didn't know how fresh this tracks were. They migh as well have been made ten minutes ago, as yesterday. And the latter was far more likely, given the speed of her progress. And she just had enough food for-

Did something move up on that ridge? She stopped and rubbed her eyes furiously - yet another problem was the sun reflecting off the snow, leaving Raroy half-blind at the best of times. Yes, something was definitely moving up there - some four-legged animal. Despite herself, Raroy felt her hands start to shake as she unslung her weapon and groped for a bolt. Milski showed her how to string and load a crossbow, then had her repeat the action until she could do it in her sleep. Then, after a talk with Obadiah, had her do it while running full-tilt around the camp.

"That's how hunters work," Obadiah explained, when she tried to call quits after tripping and nearly impaling herself on a bolt for the dozenth time. "The best they can hope for is a single shot from cover, and that's if they can sneak up on their prey. If they miss and the animal flees, they have to chase it, loading and shooting on the run."

She pulled out a bolt and placed it in the nook. No, wrong! First you draw back the horse sinew string. Hook it on the... the nut. This will cause the trigger to emerge from its slot in the bottom of the stock - it took Milski three days to cobble together a working mechanism from the nails salvaged from the wagon. Now slide the bolt into the nook. The bolts are pale white, made of the horse's ribs, which Zazit somehow straightened out, filed down to proper length, and adorned with horse mane fletching. Milski still got into an argument with her about these bolts, saying they were too thick and too light to be accurate over long distances. Zazit responded that Raroy was a bad enough shot that she'd need to get close to her targets anyway. "If you can make better ones, go ahead. Think you can manage without a forge, smith?"

Now to sneak up on the herd. If she went up the steeper slope, she'd stay out of their sight for the entire way. But it was steep, and covered in ice, as well as snow. She didn't think she could manage it with just one hand free. No, she'd strike off west for half a mile, then make her way up the far gentler incline, approaching the herd from the south. She'd be far easier to see if one of the horses wandered up to the ledge, but she'd move a lot faster and, hopefully, get in range before that happened or, even worse, the herd decided to move on again.

The next morning, Raroy stumbled back into camp, just as the others were waking up, complaining about stiff muscles and the hard, uneven floor of their little cavern. Exhausted, half-frozen, and wild-eyed, she brushed past Zazit, who ran up to help, and headed straight for Obadiah.
    "You'n me," she muttered, latching onto the sleeve of his robe with ice-cold hands, "we talk."

Excitement!

Far shorter than intended, since I suddenly found out that I have to take an earlier shift at work, i.e. I need to get to bed sooner. The main thing I didn't have time to write about was... well, we'll get to that. It's a good thing though.

Next update... hell if I know. This entire next week will be absolute murder at work, then I'm travelling during the weekend. Although... what do you guys think about me writing very short (as in, a couple paragraphs, mostly focusing on one character, or event) updates that will hopefully happen more often? With longer writeups reserved for weekends, or whenever I have actual free time?
    Last edited by Maxymiuk; 2010-06-14 at 12:35 AM.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Dwarf in the Playground

You write so well that short, frequent updates would be even more entertaining than longer episodes once a week.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by BlackSheep View Post
    You write so well that short, frequent updates would be even more entertaining than longer episodes once a week.
    Agreed. Short ones are fine.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Firbolg in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by BlackSheep View Post
    Thirded.
    **** Photobucket ; RIP avatars

17. - Top - End - #77
    Ettin in the Playground

I wonder if you can actually get the bones out of skeletal corpses. I know it is now very hard to use the bones of your enemies as weapons.
    Rockphed said it well.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

18. - Top - End - #78
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Pretty sure you can't--you only seem to be able to get usable bones by butchering a non-rotten corpse.

19. - Top - End - #79

The moonstones could've happened to anybody. That first vein of galena was just pure chance. The second one, struck when digging out the kitchen, was a geological oddity. The third one, the one he found just a few feet into the planned quarry, was just impossible. Jahjah stopped his work, headed outside and, muttering curses under his nose, headed across the valley.

"It's ridiculous, is what it is," he complained much later, when a good portion of the surrounding hillsides have been deprived of their snow and soil cover and the others, after practically dragging him back inside were trying to force some hot stew into him. "Absolutely nonsensical."
    "Sure it is," Celes patted his back comfortingly, "almost as ridiculous as our only miner almost freezing to death from playing in the snow all day."
    "I mean, there's galena all over the place," Jahjah started counting on his frostbitten fingers. "Horn silver just east of our camp, limonite deposits in the streambed, and there's so much magnetite in the western slopes, that if we had any iron, I don't think we could keep a hold on any of it. I'm sure I saw a tetrahedrite vein in there somewhere. And get this, there's not one, but two coal veins just across the stream. And I'm not even counting all the gemstones just lying around!"
    "That's all very nice and all, but if you don't start eating now, I'm going to force this stew into you through the other end. Along with the bowl."

The threat worked - for about three spoonfulls worth.

"And that's just the stuff one the surface. When I think about what we'll run into once we dig deeper into the rock - or lower... There's years, decades, centuries worth of ore here," the miner shook his head. "Where does it all come from? Back home we'd dig for months before running into something, and that something was usually microline. Here I just need to swing my pick in a random direction. It's not right."
    "Jahjah, Mersethzuglar had been around for a long time," Obadiah said gently. "It's only natural that ore would run scarce. And new outposts usually do have abundant resources close by. That's the main reason anyone founds them."
    "But it's not right," Jahjah repeated, shaking his head again. "It's just too much."

20. - Top - End - #80
    Ettin in the Playground

Ah, I see the new resource levels are driving you batty, as is right and proper.
    Rockphed said it well.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

21. - Top - End - #81

I never have anything to say in threads but lame compliments so.... You're doing a pretty good job here.

22. - Top - End - #82

What does a blacksmith know of farming?

"You dig furrows in the ground," Obadiah had said," and you drop the seeds in them. Cover them up, and a couple months later you harvest the crops." Derek suspected this described farming in the same way that "heat bits of metal and hit them with a hammer" was an accurate portrayal of smithing.

He made himself a hoe, with a wheel spoke for a handle and the bronze clasp they pulled off the end of the tongue for the head, hammered flat with a rock. He used the hoe to gouge the frozen soil, to tear into the ground, carving out his field well before the thaw arrived, as once the meadows would be clear of snow, it would be his task to scour them for wild crops to tame much as he now tamed the earth. And as his muscles worked, so did his mind.

How deep should the furrows be? How far apart shall he plant the seeds? Shall they be covered, or left to the weather? Will they need water, and how much was enough? How did one tell a plant was ripe for picking? How did one tell it was healthy to eat? Would there be pests, like the rats in their food store? And a hundred more questions he would not think to ask.

He'd learn by doing. He'd leave some deep, some shallow, water those, keep the others dry. He'd see what worked, and repeat it next season.

There would be a next season. The nobles would not win.

There will be a longer update sometime this weekend, where we finally get to "proper" spring.

And feel free to tell me when/if the narration starts dragging on too much. I'm trying to focus on things that I see most community forts gloss over in their rush to get to the interesting bits (i.e. megaconstructions and MAGMA) - I'm challenging myself to see if I can make simple stuff, like carving out a room, or butchering a horse, sound interesting, but it does make for a glacial pace of advancement.
    Last edited by Maxymiuk; 2010-06-18 at 04:25 PM.

23. - Top - End - #83

This post brought to you by the new and shiny 31.08

The ale ran out on the twenty third day.

Celes scrubbed out the barrel with a few handfuls of snow, and placed it back with the other one, the one Milski cobbled together back when they still expected the snow to let up after a few days. That's where the first batch of booze was going to mature while they finished off what they brought with them.

They didn't talk about it - what was there to say? They went about their tasks, purposefully ignoring the empty barrels in the corner of the chamber. One could almost say they went out of their way not to look at them.

Raroy's discovery of undead creatures in the valley provided a much-needed distraction, unwelcome as it was, on top of all their other problems. It took the form of heated debates, as Celes voiced doubt regarding what exactly the carver saw, or whether such things could even exist. Evening meals turned into loud arguments, with Jahjah and Zazit usually taking the cook's side, while Obadiah cited his experiences at other outposts in support of Raroy's testimony.

Regardless, everyone agreed that it would be a good idea to fortify the encampment. Jahjah, acting under Obadiah's orders, had already turned the slopes of their hollow into sheer walls two weeks earlier, making the camp approachable only from the south. Now the dwarves set to constructing a wall across that approach, and tearing down the temporary workshops beyond this new perimeter - most of them were currently unused, and could be quickly rebuilt if needed.

The ground Derek had cleared for farmland would find itself far beyond the wall. Temporarily, as Obadiah was quick to assure everyone. There was no question that they'd need crops to survive, but for them to be able to plant safely, a second wall would need to be erected, encompassing a much larger area, and that would have to wait until the stream thawed, creating a natural barrier between the camp and the western part of the valley - just one more reason, aside from thirst, to be impatient for spring to come.

"Stream's thawed," Raroy said, walking into the camp. After a a moment of stunned silence, everyone rushed outside - only to be greeted with the familiar expanse of snow and ice. "Not here," the carver added, walking up behind them. "South. Three hours' walking."

Three hours later Raroy led Milski and Celes - the two who could be spared from the construction work - to where the stream had indeed thawed. It was an eerie sight: here, there was ice hidden under a thick cover of snow, and there, water flowed freely, shimmering merrily in the afternoon sun.

They dropped to their knees and drank. The water was tooth-achingly cold, and, more importantly, was not alcohol, but as far as quenching thirst went, it was still worlds better than eating snow.

"Why here and not by the camp?" Milski wanted to know. "It'll be a walk and a half just to get a drink."
    "Beats me," Celes shrugged. "Why don't you ask our know-it-all leader? I bet he'll have an answer for you. It might be a bunch of superstitious nonsense, but he'll have one," she glanced at Raroy, who appeared not to have heard her, despite standing just a few paces away. "Probably something about how there's these water spi-"
    "Shh!"

Celes gaped at the weaponsmith, momentarily dumbstruck - no one shushed her, especially not in the middle of a sentence. But Milski wasn't even looking at her, his attention absorbed by something in the water. He leaned forward slowly, extending his hand, then suddenly plunged it under the surface, in an arc at the end of which something large, red, and glistening shot out of the stream and landed on the shore.

"Grab it! Quick!" Milski jumped after the fish that flopped maddly along the ground, trying to get back into the water. He threw himself after the salmon - for it was a salmon, and a rather large specimen - but it slipped out of his hold and jumped in Raroy's direction. Raroy jumped back, flailing madly, her hand, by sheer chance, colliding with the fish and sending it flying back in Milski's direction who, unprepared for such a development, intercepted it with his face. He went down, and the salmon flopped over him, suddenly with only a few feet between it and the freedom of the stream.

Then Celes brained it with a rock.

She hit the salmon a couple more times, until it stopped twitching, then calmly picked it up and started walking in the direction of the camp.

"Hey. Hey!" Milski yelled, in-between spitting out scales. "Where are you going? That's my fish! I caught it!"
    "And I killed it," Celes called over her shoulder. "So I get to eat it."
    "Oh no you don't! Hey! Get back here, you hear?" the weaponsmith got up and ran off after her. "You get back here with my fish!"

Raroy sighed, and started to follow them, then turned towards the streambank. If she concentrated, she could see hints of silvery bodies slipping through the current. She took out a bolt from the quiver and tested the point thoughtfully, and made a few quick stabbing motions. Then she crouched down and waited.

"Today, by my count, is the eleventh day of Slate," Obadiah declared loudly, stopping in the camp's gate. "Let this be known as the day we defeated winter. Let this be known as the first day of spring!"

"Stream's still frozen," Zazit grunted, shouldering past him with another block of stone meant for the wall. "Get out of the way."
    "But now that the fields are clear of snow, there is no question about the ice melting as well," Obadiah stepped aside with a broad smile on his face. "Soon we'll have water aplenty, right under our noses."
    "I hope you mean booze aplenty," Celes walked up behind them, then turned to call out towards the cavern, "Hey, farmerboy! Time to earn your keep! Get out here and start picking flowers!"

In the end, it was three of them that went out searching for plants: Obadiah, because he had a rough idea of where suitable plants would usually grow, Celes, because she handled surface crops in the breweries and had a vague recollection of how they looked, and Derek, because he'd be the one replanting them eventually.

Ten days later the stream was still frozen, and their collective effort has resulted in a clump of bladelike weed, which turned out useless, and a handful of thorny berries.

"I can squeeze these into wine," Celes looked at them disdainfully. "But you," she jabbed her finger at Derek, "you get out there and find more, you hear?"

He nodded and left.

FYI, I'm not making Celes out to be such a harpy on purpose. The shenenigans at the stream were purely artistic license, but they were inspired by the fact that when Milski, so proud of catching his first fish, brought it in, cleaned it, and dropped it off in the food stockpile, it instantly got snatched up by Celes, who proceeded to chow down before I had a chance to tell her to cook it. Shame on you, Celes.

Somewhat amusingly, I had a snowstorm announcement pop up two days before the thaw. So right now everything is becoming white all over again.

I'm encountering so many veins in my designated quarry, that I'm actually running out of stone. Seriously considering allowing use of raw ores in construction work.
    Last edited by Maxymiuk; 2010-06-20 at 09:03 AM.

24. - Top - End - #84
    Firbolg in the Playground

Kobold

Some raw ores look awesome. Cobalt trading depots are badass.
    **** Photobucket ; RIP avatars

25. - Top - End - #85
    Ettin in the Playground

I think you really should check out some of the better graphics options for your screenshots. Even just Maygreen would help a lot, but you could also go for something like Stonesense (isometric) or even one of the 3d visulaizers, like Visual Fortress, though that's more useful to show mega-projects, since it doesn't show dwarves.
    Excellent avatar by Elder Tsofu.

26. - Top - End - #86

Is Stonesense 31.X compatible already?

I might try it, but I can already give you a definite no on graphic sets. All the ones I've seen to date are far too busy visually. I actually like the simplicity of the default graphics.

27. - Top - End - #87
    Ettin in the Playground

Eh, honestly the default graphics look more busy visually to me. But if you're willing to try out stonesense, then no complaints from me!
    Excellent avatar by Elder Tsofu.

28. - Top - End - #88
    Barbarian in the Playground

Wow, I am a B#[email protected]!, and I love it! Screw the rest of you guys, I'm surviving.
    Current Sexy Reya Dawnbringer avatar by Edwin, thanks for the awesomeness.

"Come with me, and we'll be...
    In a world of total annihilation." .....Itnetlolor of Bay12 forums

29. - Top - End - #89
    Banned

Having gotten over the TL and taken the time to R, I agree, this isn't bad. Also, I changed my mind, I want my dwarf to be a fortress guard, when or if that gets established.

30. - Top - End - #90

Telling them that it wasn't even alcohol yet didn't work, and neither did threatening that in its current state, the drink would twist their insides into knots. In the end Celes had to start sleeping in the kitchen to make sure no one drank the wine until it matured.

"And Lurit help me, if I catch any of you down there, I'll cut off your feet and feed them to you!"

Even so, she still didn't dare to wait longer than the bare minimum of time for the berry juice to ferment. A month without alcohol had everyone on edge, and with a barrel of it just downstairs, that they were forbidden to touch, would end up in a riot sooner rather than later.

So, on the 25th of Slate (as Obadiah informed everyone), she hauled the barrel up to the main chamber when everyone was out working, uncorked it, poured it into mugs, and left them on the table. Then she went back downstairs, taking one with her. There she sat and drank the wine, wincing at the sour taste, and waiting for the fun to start.

"I know I said we need to protect ourselves," Obadiah said, "but I'm no longer sure we should wall ourselves in like this."

He was watching Jahjah some distance away, who's been setting up a counterweight system for the camp gate, and was currently cursing loudly after dropping a rock on his foot.

"There are disadvantages," Derek replied, without looking up from the seeds he was sorting into small piles. Obadiah waited for him to continue, but the smith remained focused on his work.
    "It feels wrong," he said finally. "I'm sure the walls are fine, but there's all this open space, and there's this slope above us... What if a goblin bowman snuck up there? He'd have a clear shot at anyone in the courtyard. Or what if an avalanche comes down? Or a flood? All the outposts I worked in did things the proper way: dig in, get the supplies inside, and seal off the exits until the caravan arrived," he looked at Derek, who has started to poke holes in the ground with a sharpened stick. "That's how it should be. Dwarves belong underground, where it's safe. The deeper, the better."
    "We're not dwarves," Derek dropped a couple seeds into the first hole, before moving on to the next. "We're exiles."

We're almost up to summer by now. The undead seem to have moved on for now, which is a relief. Booze situation is improving - we could have three varieties by now, if I could get more barrels somehow. Stream is still partially frozen, which makes me doubtful whether those parts (including the one right next to the camp) will ever unfreeze. But I think we'll manage to pull through.

Bayar: interestingly enough, there is an exposed cobalt vein near the camp. Though I still prefer olivine, I think.

Rollory: Sure thing, though I don't recall you actually submitting a dwarf *checks notes* Nope, unless I somehow missed you, in which case I apologize. Also, glad you enjoy the story.
    Last edited by Maxymiuk; 2010-06-25 at 12:18 PM.