New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Banned

Default Swift Hunter tips + archery

Right now, I'm making a Swift Hunter going mostly by the first build in Dictum_Mortuum's Swift Hunter's Handbook, Scout 5/Ranger 15, and wondering if there are any tips I should keep in mind beyond what's mentioned in that build.

More generally, I'm curious about interesting archer builds, because aside from this one, I haven't really looked into archery at all. What madness has CharOp unleashed upon the world?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Swift Hunter tips + archery

Quote Originally Posted by Math_Mage View Post
    Right now, I'm making a Swift Hunter going mostly by the first build in Dictum_Mortuum's Swift Hunter's Handbook, Scout 5/Ranger 15, and wondering if there are any tips I should keep in mind beyond what's mentioned in that build.

More generally, I'm curious about interesting archer builds, because aside from this one, I haven't really looked into archery at all. What madness has CharOp unleashed upon the world?
    I prefer TWF to be fair, but I rcognize that archeriy is a better option with swift hunter.... now for Advice check Eldariel's archery handbook (not finished AFAIK but pretty good) and get a spliting enchantment on your bow to double your shots, combine with manyshot and greater manyshot for extra fun

Edit: Linky
    Last edited by Dusk Eclipse; 2010-02-23 at 10:06 PM.
    Just call me Dusk

Dming: Eyes of the Lich Queen IC OOC

3. - Top - End - #3
    Colossus in the Playground

Hm. Old but interesting. Most successful Archer-builds are really casters though; Archivists & Cleric in particular make for excellent Archers, but Bard/Arcane Archer/Sublime Chord/SE/AC, Wizard and company are decent as well. Other than that, Factotum Manyshot Archer works great, Soulbow is a nice Wis SAD archer, Warblade (and Eternal Blade in particular) have few great abilities to use with archery and of course, there's the classic "stamp as many Damage/To Hit Enhancing Martial Classes Together"-variant. Oh, and Rogues.

But yeah, for Skirmisher? Well, Cloistered Cleric-dip for Travel Devotion is a very viable alternative to Greater Manyshot, getting you more attacks and being slightly easier to hit with. Mystic Ranger definitely > Ranger and I personally prefer Scout 3/Ranger 17 split for eventual Hide in Plain Sight. There isn't much to say; make sure your To Hit is decent, pick up Skirmishing- and Stealth-related feats, be prepared to handle various skill-related tasks too and you'll be fine.

Sword of the Arcane Order [CoV] is absolutely incredible if you can gain it; getting access to Wizard-spells just skyrockets your capabilities and the Shooting Star-replacement levels are excellent too. That's about it, ask about something specific if you want specific advice.

EDIT: Well, since it got mentioned already, the Unfinished Archery Handbook. I'll get to it some day. I swear! There may be something you can use there right now though.

EDIT#2: Well, my edit got ninja'd. Awkward.
    Last edited by Eldariel; 2010-02-23 at 10:15 PM.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Banned

Cool stuff. Thanks! I'll take a stroll through it.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Hey, I play a swift hunter every time I head home for winter/spring/summer break. Scout 3/Ranger 10 in my case.

The most important feat I have is definitely travel devotion from Complete Champion - getting skirmish with a full attack is awesome. Originally the build was Scout 3/Cloistered Cleric 1/Ranger 9, but I took out the cleric because it didn't fit the character well and it screwed up my skills list and BAB.

I avoided the mystic ranger and other variants, except for arcane hunter (C. Mage), which gives FE: Arcane Spellcasters. There's a constant in-joke in my group that because my main favored enemies are arcane spellcasters and humans, one day I'm going to gut the party's human wizard :P

Mystic Ranger is OK, but keep in mind that it delays a lot of other nice class features that you'll need to rely on, and after Ranger 10 the spell progression goes from awesome to worse than a bard's. It's nice with Sword of the Arcane Order, Practiced Spellcaster, etc, but that's burning a lot of extra feats that you probably won't have.

Otherwise, keep in mind that a swift hunter isn't the most damaging archer build, and that archers in general do less damage than mounted combat or charging 2H-weapon builds. What it lacks in damage, however, it gains in having a high number of useful skills. In my game those skills mostly go to waste because of party dynamics (we already had a monk, a druid, and a rogue doing the scouting, nature skills, and talking), but in the right game they'll add a lot of usefulness to the character.

While you're looking at handbooks, I'd definitely recommend Eldariel's archery handbook, and if you're playing a neutral/evil character then my own poison handbook might help, since poisons work very well with ranged characters.
    Handbooks: (Hosted on the new MixMax forums)
    [3.5] The Poison Handbook
    [3.5] (New) Master of Shrouds Handbook
    [3.5 Base Class] Healer's Handbook

Trophies!
    Spoiler
    Show

Thanks to Strategos and Jumilk for the awesome Iron Chef trophies!

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

I would say go with a force bow. Between ranger favored enemies overcoming normal immunities to precision damage and the force bow allowing you to overcome DR, you'll be pretty set to be useful in almost any situation.

I mean, you can handle healing, scouting, and deal some respectable damage. Sounds like a well rounded character to me!

7. - Top - End - #7
    Halfling in the Playground

Imp

All the build so far have only included 1 lvl of Scout, prolly to avoid unneeded BaB-loss. However, the feat Swift Hunter requires Skirmish (+1d6 damage, +1AC) which is obtained at Scout 4.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paper
    Rock is fine, nerf scissors.

8. - Top - End - #8

Quote Originally Posted by Eisirt View Post
    All the build so far have only included 1 lvl of Scout, prolly to avoid unneeded BaB-loss. However, the feat Swift Hunter requires Skirmish (+1d6 damage, +1AC) which is obtained at Scout 4.
    ...what? Builds thus far contain Scout 3 which is when you get +1d6/+1 Skirmish. I have no idea what you're talking about; care to cite one person suggesting "Scout 1"?
    Last edited by Eldariel; 2010-12-08 at 05:34 AM.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

This is probably the most important thing to note about Swift Hunter: You are *NOT* a DPS archer. You're a skill-monkey who can also handle 2nd or 3rd line damage output fairly easily.

Now, I'd ask the DM to 'fix' the scout list by adding the Rogue list to it(that's what I did for in the campaign I DM).

Grab Able Learner if you can tolerate human, since it'll allow you to invest in UMD, UPD, and other cross-class skills without it being painful to do so. This is true regardless of the previous suggestion, since your DM likely won't let you put the rogue list on the ranger list, and you're spending a few levels there.

Quick Recconoiter is an amazing feat for you, since you'll likely be maxing spot/listen anyway.
    I started my first campaign around a campfire, having pancakes. They were blueberry.
    My homebrew(updated 6/17):

10. - Top - End - #10

Imp

Hmmm....

Now that you mention it.... in this thread you are absolutely right.

For now my apologies for sowing confusion, I'll get back on this when I can back it up with proof. (maybe I have been reading another board before I got here)

Edit: Found the source of my confusion...

http://community.wizards.com/go/thre...rcher_Handbook

And upon closer examination it contains more faults.

Once again, sorry for adding my confusion to this thread.
    Last edited by Eisirt; 2010-12-15 at 09:38 PM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Orc in the Playground

RogueGuy

on brilliantgameologists boards, in the gish handbook there was an archer build using pathfinder Arcane Archer wich give bab 20 cl 17 at lev 20, if i recall well was duskblade 5 /AA PF 10 / eldrich knight 5

12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground

I'd pick 1 level of either Warblade or Swordsage.

Maybe even two of Swordsage, if you're interested to have more use for your Wisdom (but then again it's not like a Ranger has to have a lot of it to do their spells).

Why? Because both Warblade and Swordsage give you Tiger Claw maneuvers. Most maneuvers are questionably useful (I.E, not at all) for archery, but some boosts and stances will be very useful. If you go Swordsage, work on getting the Assasin Stance (second level stance) for free 2d6 sneak attack damage...

If you go Warblade, which I would do in this situation, you can get Iron Heart Surge if you take the warblade level reasonably late (IRS is 3rd level maneuver, meaning that you'll need to be at least 5th level initiatior, so at least 8 levels of non-warblade and 1 of warblade will suffice) and the 1st level stance - Hunter's Scent- from Tiger Claw. It's a very easy way to get Scent, and you might find it useful.

But the real reason you take this 1 or 2 level dip (the latter only if you take the swordsage) is to get "Sudden Leap", a 1st level Tiger Claw boost. What does it do? It lets you jump as a swift action... And the DC required to take a 10 foot jump is 10 with running or 20 without - and you shouldn't have too much trouble getting a total of 20 by level 9 or so. And if you take Improved Skirmish (+2d6 damage, + 2? AC when you move at least 20 feet), you can invest in "Leap of Heavens" to always be considered running for jumps, letting you beat the 20 DC for 20 feet jump easily.

The strikes and the stance you'll get this way are not going to be useful for you, but Sudden Leap will be. You can just prepare all Sudden Leap's (4, if you take 1 level of warblade) and spend 4 rounds doing Skirmish damage on full attacks. Then take another swift action to recharge your maneuvers, and you can continue doing it for another 4 rounds after. Having 4 (5 with rapid shot, possibly more due to other feats) ranged attacks per round (when you're high enough) doing Skirmish damage is extremely awesome.

It's one of the easiest ways to get skirmish on full attacks without being cheesy or requiring a lot of resources like magic and stuff. Plus it might even fit the character - both a ranger and a scout are agile characters, and jumping doesn't seem out of place for either.

And you can always get Iron Heart Surge if you do the dip past level 8, for all it's broken goodness.

And what's better, you don't even lost any damage dies of Skirmish if you do this.
    Last edited by WinceRind; 2010-12-08 at 08:20 AM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by WinceRind View Post
    You can just prepare all Sudden Leap's (4, if you take 1 level of warblade) and spend 4 rounds doing Skirmish damage on full attacks.
    You actually can only prepare a maneuver once.
    I started my first campaign around a campfire, having pancakes. They were blueberry.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

The "default" Swift Hunter build is usually Scout 3/Ranger 17 or Scout 4/Ranger 16. The only difference is there's a gazillion and a half ranged feats you want to take at ECL 6, and your feat slots are limited... but if you go Scout 3/Ranger 2/Scout +1, you can pick up Swift Hunter as the Scout's bonus feat at ECL 6 and pick up some other feat as well.

The bonus damage for skirmish progresses much slower, but with the right build, you can actually keep pace with Sneak Attack and get up to 10d6 Skirmish damage:

Race: Human, Azurin, Strongheart Halfing (you *need* that bonus feat)
    1) Ranger 1. Feat: Travel Devotion, Bonus: PB Shot, Bonus: Track
    2) Ranger 2. Bonus: Rapid Shot
    3) Scout 1. Feat: Precise Shot. Skirmish 1d6
    4) Scout 2. Skirmish 1d6.
    5) Scout 3. Skirmish 1d6 +1
    6) Scout 4. Feat: Swift Hunter. Bonus: Improved Skirmish. Skirmish 2d6 +1/4d6 +3.
    7) Dragon Devotee 1.
    8) Dragon Devotee 2. Skirmish 3d6 +1/5d6 +3
    9) Dragon Devotee 3. Feat: Knowledge Devotion. 1st level Sorcerer casting (get at least 2 divination spells)
    10) Dragon Devotee 4. Skirmish 4d6 +1/6d6 +3
    11) Unseen Seer 1. Skirmish 5d6 +1/7d6 +3
    12) Unseen Seer 2. Feat: Manyshot. Advanced Learning: Hunter's Eye
    13) Unseen Seer 3.
    14) Unseen Seer 4. Skirmish 6d6 +1/8d6 +3
    15) Highland Stalker 1. Feat: Improved Rapid Shot.
    16) Highland Stalker 2. Skirmish 7d6 +1/9d6 +3
    17) Ranger 3. Bonus: Endurance. Skirmish 7d6 +2/9d6 +4
    18) Ranger 4. Feat: Greater Manyshot.
    19) Ranger 5. Skirmish 8d6 +2/10d6 +4
    20) Spellsword 1.

BAB: +17, 6th level Sorcerer casting.
    However, your swift-action spells (Arrow Mind, Hunter's Eye, Sniper's Shot) interferes with Travel Devotion. If you need to move up acquiring Greater Manyshot, then try Ranger 2/Scout 4/Ranger +4, and finish off with Dragon Devotee 4/Unseen Seer 4/Highland Stalker 2.

An elf dipping into Cloistered Cleric 1 can pick up Knowledge Devotion, PB Shot (Elf domain), and Travel Devotion all at once. This frees up some feats and also gives you turn undead, which you can convert into more uses of the Travel Devotion. This could allow you to pick up Weapon Focus: Light Crossbow, Rapid Reload, and Crossbow Sniper (PHBII) to extend your skirmish damage out to 60'.

There's another Swift Hunter build that gets full +20 BAB, but you can't pick up Swift Hunter until ECL 9:

1) Ranger 1. Feat: Travel Devotion, Bonus: PB Shot, Bonus: Track
    2) Ranger 2. Bonus: Rapid Shot
    3) Sneak Attack Fighter. Feat: Precise Shot. Sneak Attack +1d6.
    4) Ranger 3. Bonus: Endurance.
    5) Ranger 4.
    6) Highland Stalker 1. Feat: Knowledge Devotion.
    7) Highland Stalker 2. Skirmish 1d6.
    8) Highland Stalker 3.
    9) Highalnd Stalker 4. Feat: Swift Hunter. Skirmish 2d6 +2.
    10) Ranger 5. Skirmish 3d6 +2.
    11) Ranger 6. Bonus: Manyshot.
    12) Highland Stalker 5. Feat: Improved Rapid Shot.
    13) Highland Stalker 6. Skirmish 4d6 +2.
    14) Ranger 7. Skirmish 4d6 +3.
    15) Ranger 8. Feat: Improved Skirmish. Skirmish 4d6 +3/6d6 +5
    16) Ranger 9. Skirmish 5d6 +3/7d6 +5
    17) Ranger 10.
    18) Ranger 11. Feat: Greater Manyshot. Bonus: Improved Precise Shot. Skirmish 5d6 +4/7d6 +6.
    19) Ranger 12.
    20) Ranger 13. Skirmish 6d6 +4/8d6 +6.

This build works quite well with Hank's Energy Bow, which gives you a Power Shot effect that can convert your BAB into extra damage. No two-handed or leap-attack multipliers, though.

You can pick up a couple archery feats with magic items. Precise Shot is available as a +1 enhancement (MIC p. 40). You can get Far Shot with either Horizon Goggles (8000 GP, Complete Mage p. 133) or Helm of the Hunter (9000 GP, MIC p. 194). Binding the Sighting Gloves soulmeld to your Hands chakra also gives you the same effect.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Godskook View Post
    You actually can only prepare a maneuver once.
    In that case, I've managed to deceive my DM...

Well, even 1 leap is good - it means you can get a full volley with skirmish on each shot every second round if you choose to do so (round 1, sudden leap, round 2 - recharge maneuvers (1swift action and attack), round 3, sudden leap and so on)

Still sounds good to me =p

16. - Top - End - #16

Ranger 17 is generally taken for the yummy Hide in Plain Sight. Then again, it comes late and Stalker of Kharesh gets it much earlier. And Favored Enemy: Evil, which is just good.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Banned

Now, I'd ask the DM to 'fix' the scout list by adding the Rogue list to it(that's what I did for in the campaign I DM).
    Errata at least added Disable Device. I don't think you even need more.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Dwarf in the Playground

As a possible alternative to Cloistered cleric (always hated that advise for role playing reasons) perhaps try one level of Seeker of the Misty Isle prc (refluffed for your race/deity). It should be close to most ranger/swift hunter character concepts and it grants travel domain which can be switched for travel devotion.
    I didn't do it! And if I did do it, I didn't know I could do it till I did it!

"Ok Kid, this is where it gets complicated"

19. - Top - End - #19
    Barbarian in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Here is the weapon you should get as a Swift Hunter.

Composite Longbow (STR +7) +1 (Cost: 200,895 gold)
    Exit Wound (+3) (Fires through target, +4 AC for each target in front, +1d6 damage)
    Splitting (+3) (Doubles the arrows, make separate attack rolls for each arrow)
    Fiery (+1) (+1d6 fire damage)
    Shocking (+1) (+1d6 electricity damage)
    Cold (+1) (+1d6 cold damage)

I'll post more later on a build.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by true_shinken View Post
    Errata at least added Disable Device. I don't think you even need more.
    Open Lock, Sleight of Hand, Use Magic Device. Considering a scout *replaces* a rogue in the party, I think these are 'standard' skills he should have.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Barlen View Post
    As a possible alternative to Cloistered cleric (always hated that advise for role playing reasons) perhaps try one level of Seeker of the Misty Isle prc (refluffed for your race/deity). It should be close to most ranger/swift hunter character concepts and it grants travel domain which can be switched for travel devotion.
    No turning to fuel it though. Besides, if you're going to be refluffing anyway, why not use a cleric?
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Claudius Maximus View Post
    Also fixed the money issue by sacrificing a goat.
    Quote Originally Posted by subject42 View Post
    This board needs a "you're technically right but I still want to crawl into the fetal position and cry" emoticon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yukitsu View Post
    I define [optimization] as "the process by which one attains a build meeting all mechanical and characterization goals set out by the creator prior to its creation."
    Praise for avatar may be directed to Derjuin.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Greenish View Post
    No turning to fuel it though. Besides, if you're going to be refluffing anyway, why not use a cleric?
    Its easier to go mad-libs on a prestige class's race/deity/etc flavor than it is to fluff the cleric out of a cleric.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

Its easier to go mad-libs on a prestige class's race/deity/etc flavor than it is to fluff the cleric out of a cleric.
    Why? You can use the same fluff.

Seeker of the Misty Isle is practically swimming in fluff, it's not like it's any harder to change than a cleric.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Claudius Maximus View Post
    Also fixed the money issue by sacrificing a goat.
    Quote Originally Posted by subject42 View Post
    This board needs a "you're technically right but I still want to crawl into the fetal position and cry" emoticon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yukitsu View Post
    I define [optimization] as "the process by which one attains a build meeting all mechanical and characterization goals set out by the creator prior to its creation."
    Praise for avatar may be directed to Derjuin.

24. - Top - End - #24

BlueKnightGuy

Scout 3 / Ranger 17
    Base Attack +19
    Feats: Swift Hunter, Improved Skirmish, Point Blank Shot, Precise Shot, Rapid Shot(Free from Ranger), Manyshot (Free from Ranger), Improved Precise Shot (Free from Ranger), Greater Manyshot, Far Shot, Weapon Focus (Longbow)

Favored Enemies: Undead, Constructs, Elementals, Oozes, Plants

If you choose these favored enemies, you can apply your skirmish damage to anything you hit.

Base Dexterity: 40 (+15)
    At first level: 18
    Racial Bonus: +2 (Elf)
    4th, 8th, 12th, 16th, 20th bonus: +5
    Inherit Bonus: +5 (Tome of Dexterity+5: 136,500gp)
    Enhancement Bonus: +6 (Gloves of Dexterity +6: 36,000gp)
    Moral Bonus: +2 (Elation from Vest of Elation: 120,000gp)
    Sacred Bonus: +2 (Grace from boots of Grace: 120,000gp)

Base Strength: 33 (+11)
    At first level: 16
    Inherit Bonus: +5 (Tome of Strength +5: 136,500gp)
    Enhancement Bonus: +6 (Belt of Giant Strength: 36,000gp)
    Moral Bonus: +2 (Elation)
    Sacred Bonus: +4 (Righteous Fury from Mantle of Righteous Fury: 136,000gp)

Weapon: Composite Longbow (STR +11) +3 (Cost: 201,195 gold)
    Exit Wound (+3) (Fires through target, +4 AC for each target in front, +1d6 damage)
    Splitting (+3) (Doubles the arrows, make separate attack rolls for each arrow)
    Psychokinetic (+1) (+1d4 force damage, can hit incorporeal targets)

Other magic items:
    Goggles of Sniper’s Shot (8,000gp) – Allows you to use precision based damage at any range.
    Headband of Arrow Mind (8,000gp) – Allows you to threaten with a bow and you do not provoke attacks of opportunity when shooting with a bow.
    Armbands of Guided Shot (8,000gp) – Your ranged attacks do not take a penalty due to distance.
    Belt of Giant Strength +6 (36,000gp)
    Gnomish Twistcloth+5 (25,300gp)

Move Action: Move at least 20 feet from your current location.
    Standard Action: Use Manyshot to fire 4 arrows at a single target within 30ft.
    Attack bonus: +30
    Base Attack: +19
    Dexterity: +15
    Enhancement: +3
    Weapon Focus: +1
    Manyshot: -8

With an average roll of 40, you can him most anything at level 20. The arrows will split into a total of 8 arrows mid-flight, so you will need to make 8 attack rolls.

Each arrow that hits will do 1d8+3 (Enhancement)+11 (Strength)+1d4 (Psychokinetic)+1d6 (Exit Wound)+7d6 (Skirmish) for damage potential of 23-74.

You could do up to 184-592 damage each round. And, that’s just to that single target. Since you have Exit Wound, if there are targets standing behind the first target, you can roll to hit them as well.

Let’s not forget that you also have Favored Enemy bonuses. So you could be doing even more damage depending on what you are fighting. Also, you could add a weapon crystal and do an additional 1d6 (fire, frost, acid, electricity) damage.

Needless to say, if you play your cards right, you can very easily take out very tough opponents.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

The bizarre thing is that this thread is from 10 months ago, but my response to it then was just about identical to what I was planning on typing up anyways.

Handbooks: (Hosted on the new MixMax forums)
    [3.5] The Poison Handbook
    [3.5] (New) Master of Shrouds Handbook
    [3.5 Base Class] Healer's Handbook

Trophies!
    Spoiler
    Show

Thanks to Strategos and Jumilk for the awesome Iron Chef trophies!

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Math_Mage View Post
    More generally, I'm curious about interesting archer builds, because aside from this one, I haven't really looked into archery at all.
    I made this one to address a feat issue for an archer, picking up useful feats from a variety of sources. Note the cheesy option is listed for completeness; I don't actually recommend that approach.

Here's a way to get more archery-related feats in a mostly spellcasting build; it's got something for everybody.

Race: Wood Elf (+2 DEX, +2 STR, -2 CON, -2 INT; Favored Class: Ranger). Alignment: within 1 step of Chaotic Good. You'll need to join the Order of the Shooting Star (see Champions of Valor). This build requires DEX 17 by the time you get to level 6 for Dead Eye, and DEX 19 later if you pick up Improved Precise Shot.

1. Cloistered Cleric 1 of Solonor Thelandira. Domains: Knowledge, War, Elf; gain Weapon Focus (longbow) and Point Blank Shot feats as granted powers. Level 1 feat: Precise Shot. Should pick up 1+ ranks in Knowledge (arcana) and 4 ranks in Knowledge (religion).
    2. Mystic Ranger 1 (Ranger variant in Dragon # 336, page 105). Gain wild empathy, Track feat. Should pick up 5 ranks in Survival.
    3. Cloistered Cleric 2. Level 3 feat: Far Shot.
    4. Cloistered Cleric 3.
    5. Mystic Ranger 2. Take Arcane Hunter ACF (Complete Mage, page 32) to get Favored Enemy: Arcanists. Gain 3 more ranks in Survival to get 8 total ranks.
    6. Seeker of the Misty Isle 1 (Complete Divine, page 61). Gain Travel as bonus domain; convert this to Travel Devotion (Complete Champion, page 62) feat. Level 6 feat: Dead Eye (Dragon Compendium, page 95): add DEX bonus to arrow damage within 30'.
    7. Mystic Ranger 3. Choose combat style: archery; this grants the Rapid Shot feat.
    8. Mystic Ranger 4. Gain Endurance as a bonus feat.
    9. Seeker of the Misty Isle 2. You'll now have BAB 6. Level 9 feat: Manyshot.
    10. Seeker of the Misty Isle 3.
    11. Seeker of the Misty Isle 4. Do the Dark Chaos Shuffle (Fiendish Codex I, pages 92 & 95) to swap Track and Endurance for
      • Sword of the Arcane Order feat (Champions of Valor, page 34): cast Wizard arcane spells in Ranger spell slots; and
      • Holy Warrior reserve feat (Complete Champion, page 60): add level of highest reserved War spell to weapon damage.
      You'll now have Cleric 7 spellcasting, BAB 8, and can cast Ranger/Wizard spells at levels 0-2.
    If you want to spread on the cheese sauce, this is where you would do the Dark Chaos Shuffle with the 4 Elf bonus feats
    Weapon Proficiency: Elves receive the Martial Weapon Proficiency feats for the longsword, rapier, longbow (including composite longbow), and shortbow (including composite shortbow) as bonus feats.
    and pick up Extend Spell, Persistent Spell, Divine Metamagic (Persistent Spell), and Extra Turning; persist Divine Power to keep your BAB up all day.

At this point you qualify to enter Arcane Archer, or you can continue with Seeker of the Misty Isle for more Cleric spellcasting plus other benefits of that PrC.
    • With Divine Power you'll be at BAB 11.
    • You'll add (DEX mod +1) to attacks, and (with a composite longbow) (STR mod +4) to damage. (The +1 is from Weapon Focus; the +4 is from Holy Warrior.)
    • Within 30' you'll add an additional +1 to attacks, and (DEX mod + 1) to damage. (The +1 is from Point Blank Shot; the DEX mod is from Dead Eye.)
    • You'll have 10 useful feats (or 14 with the cheesy sauce added), without flaws. If at some point you think you've got enough skill ranks in the various Knowledges, you can convert Knowledge domain to Knowledge Devotion for bonuses to attack and damage against the corresponding creature types.

27. - Top - End - #27

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by Kansaschaser View Post
    Move Action: Move at least 20 feet from your current location.
    Standard Action: Use Manyshot to fire 4 arrows at a single target within 30ft.
    Attack bonus: +30
    Base Attack: +19
    Dexterity: +15
    Enhancement: +3
    Weapon Focus: +1
    Manyshot: -8

With an average roll of 40, you can him most anything at level 20. The arrows will split into a total of 8 arrows mid-flight, so you will need to make 8 attack rolls.

Each arrow that hits will do 1d8+3 (Enhancement)+11 (Strength)+1d4 (Psychokinetic)+1d6 (Exit Wound)+7d6 (Skirmish) for damage potential of 23-74.

You could do up to 184-592 damage each round. And, that’s just to that single target. Since you have Exit Wound, if there are targets standing behind the first target, you can roll to hit them as well.

Let’s not forget that you also have Favored Enemy bonuses. So you could be doing even more damage depending on what you are fighting. Also, you could add a weapon crystal and do an additional 1d6 (fire, frost, acid, electricity) damage.
    How do you get past the restriction in Manyshot?
    Only the first arrow gets precision damage... see below.

Manyshot [General]
    Prerequisites

Dex 17, Point Blank Shot, Rapid Shot, base attack bonus +6
    Benefit

As a standard action, you may fire two arrows at a single opponent within 30 feet. Both arrows use the same attack roll (with a -4 penalty) to determine success and deal damage normally (but see Special).

For every five points of base attack bonus you have above +6, you may add one additional arrow to this attack, to a maximum of four arrows at a base attack bonus of +16. However, each arrow after the second adds a cumulative -2 penalty on the attack roll (for a total penalty of -6 for three arrows and -8 for four).

Damage reduction and other resistances apply separately against each arrow fired.

Special: Regardless of the number of arrows you fire, you apply precision-based damage only once. If you score a critical hit, only the first arrow fired deals critical damage; all others deal regular damage.

A fighter may select Manyshot as one of his fighter bonus feats.

A 6th-level ranger who has chosen the archery combat style is treated as having Manyshot even if he does not have the prerequisites for it, but only when he is wearing light or no armor.

28. - Top - End - #28

RangerGuy

do you get skirmish on every attack if you use it on a full attack?

what are some good ideas for enchantments to put on thrown weapons,
    and how many should I shoot for?

is having splitting on every dagger I have a viable choice?

what other options are there for thrown weapon swift hunters?

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

1) Yes though it can be difficult to get full attacks if you have to move 10 feet per round. It takes things like travel devotion feat.

2) I do not think you can put splitting on a dagger.

3) Bows are usually better as you can use greater many shot to do 4 arrows all with skirmish every round (8 with splitting).

4) Best throwing builds usually want bloodstorm blade so you do not have to spend a mint on magical throwing weapons. Master thrower is nice as well though these would dilute your swift hunterness.
    Last edited by MeeposFire; 2010-12-16 at 01:10 AM.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eisirt View Post
    How do you get past the restriction in Manyshot?
    By either using Greater Manyshot (which allows precision damage on each arrow) or some other method to move + full attack.