A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2
You can get A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2 now at Gumroad
Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    EvilClericGuy

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Tulsa, OK
    Gender
    Male

    Default [3.5] Greater Metamorphosis

    Greater Metamorphosis states:
    You gain all extraordinary and supernatural abilities (both special attacks and special qualities) of the assumed form, but you lose your own supernatural abilities.
    Spells and spell-like abilities are listed as special attacks on monsters. So does this mean that my Egoist can use them? It seems pretty powerful.
    Tekeli Li! Tekeli Li!

  2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    tonberrian's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [3.5] Greater Metamorphosis

    Does it say (Su) after Spell-Like abilities or Spells? If not, then no.
    The name is "tonberrian", even when it begins a sentence. It's magic, I ain't gotta 'splain why.

    Rick Venture avatar by kpenguin, his GM.

  3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    EvilClericGuy

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Tulsa, OK
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [3.5] Greater Metamorphosis

    Yeah, I think I was reading it wrong. The wording is a bit goofy, but I believe you only get attacks and qualities if they have Su or Ex on them.

    So here is the next question. What would be a good form if my HD cap is 23 with Overchannel?
    Tekeli Li! Tekeli Li!

  4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Tyndmyr's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Maryland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [3.5] Greater Metamorphosis

    Huh...wonder if this is yet another way to use the sarrukk to end up at pun pun.

  5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Yora's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Germany

    Default Re: [3.5] Greater Metamorphosis

    Probably, but you'd need to be a 17th level psion, while pun-pun is 3rd or 5th level, I believe.
    We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on very tall tower of other dwarves.

    Spriggan's Den Heroic Fantasy Roleplaying

  6. - Top - End - #6

    Default Re: [3.5] Greater Metamorphosis

    Quote Originally Posted by Yora View Post
    Probably, but you'd need to be a 17th level psion, while pun-pun is 3rd or 5th level, I believe.
    1st level Kobold Paladin actually.

  7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Tyndmyr's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Maryland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [3.5] Greater Metamorphosis

    Eh, the first level version is filled with things that require the DM to be inordinately permissive. The whole pazuzu thing basically requires the DM to take the most favorable of readings and choices for you along the way.

    The sixth level version is much more airtight.

    The thought with greater metamorph isn't about casting it himself, it's about what level a character could afford to have it cast on him. It's personal, so presumably the psionic scroll equivalent would be required(power stone?), and there's the manifester level issue...Probably not an improvement over the 6th level version, but it requires only the SRD and the existance of a sarrukk.

  8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    EvilClericGuy

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Tulsa, OK
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [3.5] Greater Metamorphosis

    Any thoughts on the question about forms I could take? Not terribly interested in variations on the pun pun. There have probably been enough threads on that topic.
    Tekeli Li! Tekeli Li!

  9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Yora's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Germany

    Default Re: [3.5] Greater Metamorphosis

    Quote Originally Posted by Sinfire Titan View Post
    1st level Kobold Paladin actually.
    Have a link to that build?
    We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on very tall tower of other dwarves.

    Spriggan's Den Heroic Fantasy Roleplaying

  10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Israel
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [3.5] Greater Metamorphosis

    Last edited by Sliver; 2010-02-24 at 02:15 PM.
    A wise monk trains both mind and body, but a smart monk is actually a swordsage.

  11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Tyndmyr's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Maryland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [3.5] Greater Metamorphosis

    Quote Originally Posted by Scipio View Post
    Any thoughts on the question about forms I could take? Not terribly interested in variations on the pun pun. There have probably been enough threads on that topic.
    Dragons are fun. They tend to be relatively tough opponents for their CR. Ditto for outsiders. As long as they're not unique, you're golden. If you like dragons, consider some of the fun options from draconomicon.

    Hell, a Solar only has 22HD, so it's a valid target. Gives you shapechange and regeneration, which are reasonably nice. I would presume you do not get the SLAs, though. Technically, you would likely get the abilities that are "always active on solars". They're not SLAs apparently, since they're not listed in the solar SLAs, but they're not spells either, as they can be reactivated at will as a free action. Im not 100% certain what they are, but I can see a good case for it being Ex or Su, or at a minimum, part of the creature type.

    If you have/enjoy ghostwalk, consider becoming a ghostly version of a creature, since you do get to target incorporeal stuff.
    Last edited by Tyndmyr; 2010-02-24 at 03:01 PM.

  12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    EvilClericGuy

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Tulsa, OK
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [3.5] Greater Metamorphosis

    Quote Originally Posted by Tyndmyr View Post
    Dragons are fun. They tend to be relatively tough opponents for their CR. Ditto for outsiders. As long as they're not unique, you're golden. If you like dragons, consider some of the fun options from draconomicon.

    Hell, a Solar only has 22HD, so it's a valid target. Gives you shapechange and regeneration, which are reasonably nice. I would presume you do not get the SLAs, though. Technically, you would likely get the abilities that are "always active on solars". They're not SLAs apparently, since they're not listed in the solar SLAs, but they're not spells either, as they can be reactivated at will as a free action. Im not 100% certain what they are, but I can see a good case for it being Ex or Su, or at a minimum, part of the creature type.

    If you have/enjoy ghostwalk, consider becoming a ghostly version of a creature, since you do get to target incorporeal stuff.
    The Solar is the first thing I looked at. Even without the SLAs and spells, there is plenty of stuff the Solar gets. The Protective Aura is not bad at all.
    Tekeli Li! Tekeli Li!

  13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Lamech's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2007

    Default Re: [3.5] Greater Metamorphosis

    Protean scourge! Protean Scourge! Lycanthrope! Lycanthrope! Elemental Wierd! Elemental Wierd! War troll after getting acid immunity!
    My deaths to wolves (or other evil night killers)
    Spoiler
    Show

    Spytrap III, Ultimate Kaos II, Monty Python, Twin Village, Invasion of the Zombies: Outbreak, Vampires III

    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow
    I think Lamech will make a great Sephiroth.
    A new New York IC OOC

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •