New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 23 1234567891011 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default Monk Junk (consolidated monk discussion)

okay. me and my DM were in a small argument. He claimed that Monks are one of the most overpowered classes in the PHB.

Okay, we all know that isn't true. However, I need a good argument for that other than its multiple ability dependancy.

can somebody help?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Banned

Default Re: what specifically about Monks is bad?

Firstly, I love monks but here are some of the aurguements I've heard against them:

Low BAB for a combat class.
    Low HD for a combat class.
    They do a lot of things well but don't excede in any one area.

3. - Top - End - #3

Class features don't work together well (Flurry+Fast Movement).
    Abilities are basically useless (Tongue of Sun and Moon).
    The core improver for natural attacks costs 3 times as much as a weapon.
    Even with the core enhancer, no enchantment equivalents like Flaming or Holy.
    3/4 BAB.
    Poor HD.
    Bracers of armour cost more than equal armour.
    Don't exceed in one area.
    MAD.
    Not proficient with fists.
    Weaker returns for STR and Power Attack.
    Quivering Palm is once per week, needs a save and an attack roll (with damage the gets past any applicable DR). Contrast: Finger of Death is 3+ times per day, and only needs a save (which, due to aforementioned MAD, is likely to have a higher DC), and works on more creature types.
    Perfect Self: DR10/magic, and outsider type. Outsider type can be gotten at least 3 ways with no LA, and DR10/magic at level 20 is being bypassed by almost every single monster ever printed of a CR 15 and up, and most of the ones below that too.
    Last edited by sofawall; 2010-02-28 at 08:10 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kyuubi View Post
    okay. me and my DM were in a small argument. He claimed that Monks are one of the most overpowered classes in the PHB.

Okay, we all know that isn't true. However, I need a good argument for that other than its multiple ability dependancy.

can somebody help?
    I'm in the same situation. I've told them they don't really do much, but I had trouble finding sources for my knowledge as well.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

A short playtest should get some number proofs. But a few questions for you...

What are your DM's supporting points for his arguments?
    Why do you care?
    Why do you need help from the internet?

6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

monks are also quite MAD. they need decent scores in str, dex, con, and wis to be effective

Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Ms.Malbolge View Post
    Listen to the Crafy one. He speaks the truth, except when he doesn't which may still be the truth hidden behind a veil of crafty craftiness.

Or something.

7. - Top - End - #7

No *2 Power Attack and *1.5 str (without a feat, I believe).

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

If he doesn't like monks because they're "overpowered" and you don't like monks because you "know" they're "underpowered"... just don't play monks and ignore the issue.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Wait, aren't they technically not proficient with their fists?

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

It's supposed to be a frontline combatant, along the lines of a Fighter or Barbarian. Yet it does not have full BaB, it has D8 hit dice, it's difficult to get enchantments on it's weapons, and it's Armor Class is difficult to improve. It, however, has no other method of being effective, it can't cast spells like a cleric, it dosn't have a rogue's skills or sneak attacks, or any of the Ranger's stuff. In battle it's basically limited to punching things, which it dosn't do very well.

It's really a class built around Fluff (Hey, let's make a mystic martial artist type) without thinking about Crunch (But he can't hit as well as a Fighter, or take as much damage. And he dosn't wear armor...)

One way to help Monks is to let them buy magic gloves/brass knuckles that affect their Unarmed Strikes, and let them treat normal clothing as essentially Armor with a +0 AC bonus, so it can be enchanted like normal armor.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsurion View Post
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

11. - Top - End - #11

Wait, aren't they technically not proficient with their fists?
    Technically, you are correct.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Foryn Gilnith View Post
    A short playtest should get some number proofs. But a few questions for you...

What are your DM's supporting points for his arguments?
    Why do you care?
    Why do you need help from the internet?
    1. Quivering Palm and perfect body.
    2. I don't know.
    3. because you guys know more than me about this.
    Last edited by Mystic Muse; 2010-02-28 at 08:03 PM.

13. - Top - End - #13

Quivering Palm is once per week, needs a save and an attack roll.

Finger of Death is 3-4 times per day, minimum, and only needs a save (which, due to aforementioned MAD, is likely to have a higher DC)

Perfect Self: DR10/magic, and outsider type. Outsider type can be gotten at least 3 ways with no LA, and DR10/magic at level 20 is being bypassed by almost every single monster ever printed of a CR 15 and up, and most of the ones below that too.
    Last edited by sofawall; 2010-02-28 at 08:04 PM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kylarra View Post
    If he doesn't like monks because they're "overpowered" and you don't like monks because you "know" they're "underpowered"... just don't play monks and ignore the issue.
    Somebody else is playing a Monk and he seems to think they're overpowered too. I just want some ammo in case the issue ever comes up again.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Somebody else is playing a Monk and he seems to think they're overpowered too. I just want some ammo in case the issue ever comes up again.
    If he's happy with his "overpowered" monk, why take that away from him?

16. - Top - End - #16

I'm gonna make a list for you, Kyuubi, in the third post.
    Last edited by sofawall; 2010-02-28 at 08:06 PM.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

If Perfect Self and Quivering Palm are the reasons Monk is overpowered, then just have the monk-player offer to leave Monk before 15th level. It's not like the campaign is destined to get that far, anyway, and there are some nice alternatives (prestige classes and stuff).

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kylarra View Post
    I don't think it can really be considered an isolated issue. Thinking that monks are overpowered probably means he overvalues some things and undervalues others, a situation that's likely to create other problems down the line.

Ninja'd: Or that.
    Last edited by Haven; 2010-02-28 at 08:08 PM.
    My pronouns are they/them.

Avatar courtesy of Elagune's OotS manga reinterpretation!

19. - Top - End - #19

There is a shirt someplace that is not armor but provides a +1 armor bonus to AC, so it can be enchanted. A decent way to get your fists to have decent effects is with Kensei (but then you're not taking any more monk classes...)

As far as what it is that makes them bad, everyone has already said it. MAD as a Paladin or worse, low BAB, low HD, unsynergistic class features (slow fall+flurry of blows+fast movement = ?!?! ), lots of mediocre abilities that are guaranteed to be performed better by anyone else in the party (mediocre skills (and it's not like you're going to have an int score), mediocre HP & attack & damage & AC, no abilities to buff/otherwise aid party members, Quivering Palm is the same as Finger of Death, but worse and at higher levels...). I think that's really what it comes down to--they can do a lot of stuff pretty badly, instead of doing any of it well.
    Last edited by Dr Bwaa; 2010-02-28 at 08:09 PM.
    For people who enjoy reading or writing.

Spoiler
    Show

Awesome banner/avatar by El_Frenchie!

Play chess? Look me up! (bwaa)

Formerly known as lordhenry4000

20. - Top - End - #20

Quote Originally Posted by sofawall View Post
    Class features don't work together well (Flurry+Fast Movement).
    Good, another Monk thread. Cause I've been meaning to ask about this (to anyone, really, not just you, sofa).

Flurry of Blows (Ex)

When unarmored, a monk may strike with a flurry of blows at the expense of accuracy. When doing so, she may make one extra attack in a round at her highest base attack bonus, but this attack takes a -2 penalty, as does each other attack made that round.
    I see nothing implying it can't be used with Fast Movement. The way I read it, it applies to all attacks, since it doesn't specify it takes an action to activate or that it only works with full attacks.
    It's been a bit, GitP. If you're reading this, you're either digging through old stuff, or I've posted for the first time in forever.

If you want to stay in touch, reach out to me on twitter (same username).

The best answer is always to ask your DM.
    Unless you're the DM, in which case you should talk to your players.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

2. I don't know.
    3. because you guys know more than me about this.
    The "Body" Chain of stuff is fairly useless. Diseases and Poisons are fairly uncommon as things go, and are easy to cure anyway. Perfect Body is nice, but by level 20 everything has magic weapons or DR/Magic, or deals enough damage that a measly DR 10 dosn't cause it to blink.
    As for quivering palm, "Oh no, an SoD that can be used once a week at level 15."
    Wizards get Phantasmal Killer at Level 7, at which point they WILL have at least 18 int, so they can use it twice per day, and it deals damage on a successful save. That's not counting the hundreds of other "Save or _____" abilities out there. Yes it takes 2 saves, but still.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsurion View Post
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

22. - Top - End - #22

Quote Originally Posted by The Dark Fiddler View Post
    Good, another Monk thread. Cause I've been meaning to ask about this (to anyone, really, not just you, sofa).

I see nothing implying it can't be used with Fast Movement. The way I read it, it applies to all attacks, since it doesn't specify it takes an action to activate or that it only works with full attacks.
    A monk must use a full attack action to strike with a flurry of blows.
    Right there.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Dark Fiddler View Post
    "A monk must use a full attack action to strike with a flurry of blows."

(edit - ninja'd)
    Last edited by sonofzeal; 2010-02-28 at 08:12 PM.

Zeal's Tier System for PrC's
    Zeal's Expanded Alignment System
    Zeal's "Creative" Build Requests
    Bubs the Commoner
    Zeal's "Minimum-Intervention" balance fix
    Feat Point System fix (in progress)

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by JadePhoenix View Post
    sonofzeal, you're like a megazord of awesome and win.
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    SonOfZeal, it is a great joy to see that your Kung-Fu remains undiminished in this, the twilight of an age. May the Great Wheel be kind to you, planeswalker.

24. - Top - End - #24

Quote Originally Posted by sofawall View Post
    Right there.
    God I'm blind sometimes.
    It's been a bit, GitP. If you're reading this, you're either digging through old stuff, or I've posted for the first time in forever.

If you want to stay in touch, reach out to me on twitter (same username).

The best answer is always to ask your DM.
    Unless you're the DM, in which case you should talk to your players.

25. - Top - End - #25

RangerGuy

basically, nothing the monk gets synergizes with one another, and crippling MAD.
    Monk sucks, but you know, it's not actually worth negative LA.

26. - Top - End - #26

Quivering Palm: Here's a few spells for your DM's consideration
    Destruction - Fortitude Save or Die off Cleric's spell list, can be casted at range multiple times a day rather than 1/week.
    Finger of Death - Fortitude Save or Die off Wizard's spell list, can be casted at range multiple times a day rather than 1/week at.
    Slay Living - Fortitude Save or Die off Cleric's spell list at level 5 (level 9 rather than 15), can be casted multiple times a day rather than 1/week.
    Baleful Polymorph - Fortitude Save or You Might As Well Be Dead off Druid's spell list at level 5 (level 9 rather than 15), can be casted multiple times a day rather than 1/week.

That being said, quivering palm is nothing. A single save or die that depends on both an attack roll (to hit) and a fortitude roll (to kill) is painfully weak as a level 15 skill when compared to even a base psion.

Perfect Self: Go ahead and show your DM shapechange or greater visage of the deity. Then show him the plethora of prestige classes that have outsider type capstones, and make him realize that a +1 weapon is considered magic. His argument is now invalid.

Note: Psions are a Tier 2 class max, so it's a fair comparison.
    Last edited by Felyndiira; 2010-02-28 at 08:26 PM. Reason: Corrected mistakes, etc.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Troll in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Haven View Post
    I don't think it can really be considered an isolated issue. Thinking that monks are overpowered probably means he overvalues some things and undervalues others, a situation that's likely to create other problems down the line.
    Maybe. IMO and IME, attempting to address every single "misconception" someone might have "according to the internet" is a waste of time that could be better spent gaming.

The truth is, the majority of games, again imo and ime, don't fall anywhere near the optimization levels expected in the internet vacuum of RAWness. Some games obviously do, but as evidenced by these threads and ones along similar lines, a fair number, if not the majority, don't have optimized wizards that dominate every encounter by sheer virtue of being awesome while the groundpounders are left to do little more than poke things.

By the numbers, yes, the monk does not match up with the majority of other classes. If the things that the DM and player are concerned about are shiny things that happen at level 15 and 20, then just have the monk player PrC out before then, you'll be doing him a favor anyway.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Felyndiira View Post
    Quivering Palm: Here's a few spells for your DM's consideration
    Destruction - Fortitude Save or Die off Cleric's spell list, can be casted at range multiple times a day rather than 1/week.
    Finger of Death - Fortitude Save or Die off Wizard's spell list, can be casted at range multiple times a day rather than 1/week at.
    Slay Living - Fortitude Save or Die off Cleric's spell list at level 5 (level 9 rather than 15), can be casted multiple times a day rather than 1/week.
    Baleful Polymorph - Fortitude Save or You Might As Well Be Dead off Druid's spell list at level 5 (level 9 rather than 15), can be casted multiple times a day rather than 1/week.

That being said, quivering palm is nothing. A single save or die that depends on both an attack roll (to hit) and a fortitude roll (to kill) is painfully weak as a level 15 skill when compared to even a base psion.

Perfect Self: Go ahead and show your DM shapechange or greater visage of the deity. Then show him the plethora of prestige classes that have outsider type capstones, and make him realize that a +1 weapon is considered magic. Also show him the banishment spell. His argument is now invalid.
    Not to mention, even if you save against destruction, you will take a healthy amount of damage. Also, monks are considered native outsiders at level 20, banishment won't work on them. Also, Psions are a top tier class.
    Last edited by Volkov; 2010-02-28 at 08:18 PM.
    "No extra charge!"

29. - Top - End - #29
    Orc in the Playground

RogueGuy

Chances are, they won't believe you even if you explain it's flaws well. I've noticed that with a guy in my group that thinks Green Star Adept is overpowered. No matter how much I tried to explain that it isn't, he still thinks it is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassetking View Post
    ...You don't know joy, until you look into the eyes of the GM, and see a scream of terror frozen right behind his pupils.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Swok View Post
    Chances are, they won't believe you even if you explain it's flaws well. I've noticed that with a guy in my group that thinks Green Star Adept is overpowered. No matter how much I tried to explain that it isn't, he still thinks it is.
    Play a warforged. Take Adamantine Body if you want. You just got what it took him 10 PrC levels and a huge amount of money to get, AND you have an actual Con score.