New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

Default Classes For an Oriental Campaign?

The monk thread got me thinking about the asian-themed campaign I've been kicking around in my head for a while. I was planning on a sort of catch-all for oriental fluff that mixed indian, chinese, japanese, etc. cultures.

My question is this:
    What classes other than the following would fit fluffily into such a setting:
    MONK
    SHUGENJA
    WUJEN
    NINJA
    SAMURAI

Also, I know there's a list of the various classes and what "power tier" they fall under somewhere. I figure if I'm going to be restricting class choices, I might as well try to make sure they're all balanced, so could someone please tell me where I could find such a list?
    Some Stuff I've tried brewing:

Spoiler
    Show
    Dark Mind- Evil split personality template
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75765

Eldritch ghost- Warlock/Ninja PrC
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...eldritch+ghost

Student of the Fox- Class based on kitsune
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77615

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default Re: Classes For an Oriental Campaign?

The Tome of Battle classes can all be fluffed to fit an Oriental setting.

Class Tier Thread
    Proudly without a signature for 5 years. Wait... crap.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Banned

Barbarian: in ancient civilizations barbarians refered to foriegners (it came from a Latin/Greek root that meant barber and they had beards and long hair). You could say that character is a foriegner from the west. Just a thought.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Pretty much all classes can be fluffed into oriental flavoring. It's kind of a loaded question. What are rogues but ninjas with a more western name? Same for fighter and samurai, ect.

If you want to be pounded in over the head with forced fluff I think you have all the major ones.

@Dr. Epic, I always heard that the term "barbarian" came from the Greeks calling the Persians (amusingly a more developed nation) that because the persian language sounded like they were saying "bar bar bar bar bar" over and over again. Them having long hair and beards had little to do with it since they themselves were known for their beards and some poleis their long hair.
    Last edited by Dienekes; 2010-02-28 at 09:27 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

There's also the Shaman and Sohei from Oriental Adventures
    Steam ID
    Chained Cambion Avatar by Elder Tsofu.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dienekes View Post
    Pretty much all classes can be fluffed into oriental flavoring. It's kind of a loaded question. What are rogues but ninjas with a more western name? Same for fighter and samurai, ect.

If you want to be pounded in over the head with forced fluff I think you have all the major ones.
    I suppose I wasn't very clear. What I wanted were the classes that took a general theme and did it more orientally (fake word?) For instance, Wu Jen in place of wizards, shugenja in place of clerics, etc.

Thanks for the suggestions thus far guys, and keep them up. Also, thank you for the link.
    Some Stuff I've tried brewing:

Spoiler
    Show
    Dark Mind- Evil split personality template
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75765

Eldritch ghost- Warlock/Ninja PrC
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...eldritch+ghost

Student of the Fox- Class based on kitsune
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77615

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by lsfreak View Post
    The Tome of Battle classes can all be fluffed to fit an Oriental setting.
    That was my first thought too when I saw the thread title. Warblades make better samurai than any of the classes that bear the name (aside from not being proficient with bows), and swordsages got the whole mystic old master vibe from the get go.

Other than that, spirit shaman has the right sort of fluff to begin with.

And for barbarians, my dictionary claims that it's derived from "barbarous", which: "ORIGIN late Middle English : via Latin from Greek barbaros ‘foreign’ + -ous."
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Claudius Maximus View Post
    Also fixed the money issue by sacrificing a goat.
    Quote Originally Posted by subject42 View Post
    This board needs a "you're technically right but I still want to crawl into the fetal position and cry" emoticon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yukitsu View Post
    I define [optimization] as "the process by which one attains a build meeting all mechanical and characterization goals set out by the creator prior to its creation."
    Praise for avatar may be directed to Derjuin.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Greenish View Post
    And for barbarians, my dictionary claims that it's derived from "barbarous", which: "ORIGIN late Middle English : via Latin from Greek barbaros ‘foreign’ + -ous."
    You are both right. The "Bar, Bar, Bar" is from Aristotle. The Romans picked up the sound from the Greeks, and made it into their root word for foreigner. Then, when French collided with the Germanic Languages spoken on the British Isle, the actual word "barbarous" arose.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Psionics all (or almost all) fit with Oriental; the use of meditation to tap into personal or spiritual energy sources that others can't.
    Proudly without a signature for 5 years. Wait... crap.