New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Good Sci-Fi system

This summer I'm planning to run two campaigns, one High Fantasy and the other Sci-Fi. I'm using 3.5 for the High Fantasy one, but I can't for the life of me find a good system for a Sci-Fi campaign. Any recommendations?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Default Re: Good Sci-Fi system

Star wars RPG?... Just try to buy the books before WOTC officially cuts its funding.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

SWD20 is nice. Alternity is great as you can customize the techlevel, includes psionics you can throw in and out, and is a fairly easy system.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alternity
    Quote Originally Posted by Alabenson
    Evil Intelligence is knowing the precise ritual that will allow you to destroy the peaceful kingdom that banished you.

Evil Wisdom is understanding that you probably shouldn’t perform said ritual while you’re standing in the estimated blast radius.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Diaspora, assuming you want hard science fiction. Its a lightweight system, but it works beautifully as it is intended. For something without the restrictions, take a step back in genericnes to Fate, and then Fudge. Otherwise investigate the Cortex system. All these but Diaspora work well for soft sci-fi as well.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Banned

Traveller has been reissued and updated a little.

But knowing what kind of scifi you want to run would help a little. There's quite a few different sstems and settings out there.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

Daemon

What would be a good sci-fi system if you wanted to run a game with multiple different races? Ideally, a system that would allow the creation of custom species as possible player character choices...

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

For any type of Sci-Fi game: GURPS

Want the rules to be like DnD: Starwars D20, or True d20, maybe d20 modern.

Want a list of fake chinese cussing words: Serenity
    Last edited by Tough_Tonka; 2010-03-02 at 12:30 AM.
    78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern.
    If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

If you're after some "hard science transhuman future" sci-fi: Eclipse Phase

There's a downloadable "Quick Rules" PDF on the site if you're looking for something for a "try before I buy" and don't want to get the full core rules book/PDF (yet).

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CockroachTeaParty View Post
    What would be a good sci-fi system if you wanted to run a game with multiple different races? Ideally, a system that would allow the creation of custom species as possible player character choices...
    Alternity.

The system does EVERYTHING. You just have to get past a front loaded learning curve, then everything's smooth sailing.
    It doesn't matter what game you're playing as long as you're having fun.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by hamlet View Post
    Alternity.
    I'd say anything except that. It's essentially D&D In Space, and there is a reason why it never caught on. Both character generation and task resolution are extremely klunky mechanics that are overly complex with no reason.

Heck, Cyberpunk 2020 does a much better job at scifi, and it wasn't even written for it.
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

11. - Top - End - #11
    Bugbear in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Kurald Galain View Post
    I'd say anything except that. It's essentially D&D In Space, and there is a reason why it never caught on.
    Because Wizards pulled it's funding shortly after it was released?
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    Somebody that pisses off a Warlock is going to go down fast. But with a Warlock, death will be a mercy because the Warlock is a secondary controller, and en route to killing you he'll first cripple you, then blind you, then set you on fire, then steal your girlfriend.
    "There is no overkill, there is only 'open fire' and 'I need to reload.'" - Howard Tayler

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Blackfang108 View Post
    Because Wizards pulled it's funding shortly after it was released?
    There's a reason Wizards pulled its funding shortly after it was released.

They're not stupid. If something sells, they'll fund it.
    Last edited by Yuki Akuma; 2010-03-02 at 09:33 AM.
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

13. - Top - End - #13

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Yuki_Akuma View Post
    There's a reason Wizards pulled its funding shortly after it was released.

They're not stupid. If something sells, they'll fund it.
    IIRC, (and it's been a while, so I could easily be wrong), the stated reason for ending Alternity was "it competes with D&D," not "its sales are weak." Wiki was unhelpful on this matter. (Did one of the WotC Star Wars RPGs start around the time they cut Alternity?)

Anyway, personally, I'd probably recommend Serenity for Scifi, depending on what type of SciFi you want to play. as others have said, we need more information to be of more help.
    Somebody that pisses off a Warlock is going to go down fast. But with a Warlock, death will be a mercy because the Warlock is a secondary controller, and en route to killing you he'll first cripple you, then blind you, then set you on fire, then steal your girlfriend.
    "There is no overkill, there is only 'open fire' and 'I need to reload.'" - Howard Tayler

14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGuy

I am a fan of Alpha Omega. There aren't a whole lot of books for it, but its a really interesting system and a nice change of pace from D&D.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Banned

The old Star Wars d6 rules are so much superior to any of the D20 varieties of the same setting, it's not even funny. Fortunately, the system existed on, even without the setting licence, as Space D6. It's a fun system.

Gurps is always worth a try, and in roundabout 90% of the cases, repalcing any given system with Gurps leads to a significant improvement of the game at hand. Besides, it has the advantage that the best Science Fiction setting I have ever seen was written for Gurps, Transhuman Space.

Do you look for a more generic system for your own setting, or do you look for a good SF settingand system combination? For the first part, the two systems mentioned above are your best choice. If you are looking for a setting, you could also consider Burning Empires, based on the Burning Wheels RPG and a game which won an origin award. It's pretty good, as far as I can tell.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

Anyway, personally, I'd probably recommend Serenity for Scifi, depending on what type of SciFi you want to play. as others have said, we need more information to be of more help.
    I concur, both with Serenity and with the need for more info.
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Also, I recommend GURPS, due to high flexibility and nano-wire whips.

Most impractical weapon ever.

Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

18. - Top - End - #18
    Pixie in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Star Wars Saga Edition is one of the best RPG systems I've ever played. Its also set up such that you could pretty easily strip out or reskin all of the Star Wars-specific stuff (no more Jedi/Sith, Force Points become "Action Points", etc...). Plus you only really need one book to run the system; the rest are just nice to have.

That said, it'd probably be best for soft, combat-heavy, heroic/cinematic sci-fi (eg. Star Wars, Star Trek, Stargate), rather than a hard or gritty setting.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Troll in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

Mutants and Masterminds is fairly good for Sci-Fi, for much the reason GURPS is (i.e. it's really versatile with fairly freeform chargen), and it's D20ish.

20. - Top - End - #20

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Yuki_Akuma View Post
    Also, I recommend GURPS, due to high flexibility and nano-wire whips.

Most impractical weapon ever.

Would this be something like the guys ring in Johnny Mnemonic?

21. - Top - End - #21
    Dwarf in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

If people are suggesting Serenity, that uses the Savage Worlds system, which I happen to really enjoy.

edit: apparently thats not true, I'm just remembering things in an odd way.
    Last edited by clockworkmonk; 2010-03-02 at 12:29 PM.
    reminding myself of things:

Linus

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ettin in the Playground

That's the one. And note that he was killed with his own monofilament wire. There's a reason why you don't bring a grenade to a knife fight.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ettin in the Playground

I'd suggest taking a look at Heavy Gear. It uses a system that can be used equally well for a "traditional" RPG, a tabletop wargame, or anything in between. If you want your players to be fighting in, with, or against vehicles at some point, Heavy Gear is the system for you.
    Last edited by Artanis; 2010-03-02 at 12:40 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheesegear View Post
    Girlfriend and Parents: Why do you spend so much money on that stuff?
    Me: Would you rather I spent all my money on alcohol like others in my peer group?
    G&P: You keep spending as much money as you want!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Bossing Around Mad Cats for Fun and Profit: Let's Play MechCommander 2!

Kicking this LP into overdrive: Let's Play StarCraft 2!

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Satyr View Post
    The old Star Wars d6 rules are so much superior to any of the D20 varieties of the same setting, it's not even funny. Fortunately, the system existed on, even without the setting licence, as Space D6. It's a fun system.
    I would second this. It's been years since I've played it, but it was an awesome system. Typically more cinematic than GURPS I would say, but easy to learn and fun to play.

Gurps is always worth a try, and in roundabout 90% of the cases, repalcing any given system with Gurps leads to a significant improvement of the game at hand. Besides, it has the advantage that the best Science Fiction setting I have ever seen was written for Gurps, Transhuman Space.
    If you are looking to build custom races, this is possible in GURPS (I've never done it myself though, so I can't comment on how easy it is). GURPS is good for realistic settings, but can also be used for cinematic campaigns. I'm not sure about the D6 system, but it probably has straightforward rules for making races.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

Yes.

They also have nano-wire swords, which are slightly less likely to kill you if you fumble, but God help you if the battery dies.

26. - Top - End - #26

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by fusilier View Post
    I would second this. It's been years since I've played it, but it was an awesome system. Typically more cinematic than GURPS I would say, but easy to learn and fun to play.
    I forgot about that system.

Sad, as it was my first P&P RPG, back in Junior High. it was a blast.

Literally so, at times. We were destructive.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Barbarian in the Playground

For d20 cinematic/space opera style I'd recommend True20 with the possible addition of the Reigns of Discordia supplements. SWSE without the Force would be a good system but I found that it was the Force and Jedi which added the cinematic feel.
    For a space opera non d20 style I'd look at Starblazer Adventures. Haven't played it myself but have heard lots of good things about it.
    For a more gritty d20 style then d20 Future is the obvious choice.
    For a very gritty non-d20 style then Gurps or Diaspora are good choices.

28. - Top - End - #28

While I can't actually speak for its quality, I find Icar so beautiful that I want to play it.

And it's free. That's always nice.
    A System-Independent Creative Community:
    Strolen's Citadel

29. - Top - End - #29

OrcBarbarianGuy

I actually cannot recommend Traveller enough, I bought it to play with my group and out of D&D, M&M, NWoD and it they preffered Traveller by far.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

Yes, this!

@the OP: Depending on what you're looking for in a game you may also consider Shadowrun, Wild Talents, Savage Worlds, or many of the other games mentioned.

What do you want out of the system as opposed to the setting? When it comes to setting, do you want anything other than a variety of alien races? Are you looking for an existing setting or thinking of building your own?
    -
    I laugh at myself first, before anyone else can.
    -- Paraphrased from Elsa Maxwell
    -
    The more labels you have for yourself, the dumber they make you.
    -- Paul Graham in Keep Your Identity Small