New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default [Any] Column Layout

I'm interested to know what book column layout various players prefer for Roleplaying Games. Quite simply. Any opinion, especially "why?" would be appreciated.

By column layout, I am referring to how the book is structured. As examples, 2E AD&D and 4E D&D both have two column layouts almost entirely. The 2E appendixes change into a three column, but for actual rules material it tended to stay two column. 3.5E, on the other hand, did a stronger mix between two and three column, listing the actual spells into a three column layout.

Personally, I tend to prefer just a blanket 2 column. This preference isn't hard and fast, however.

2. - Top - End - #2

Default Re: [Any] Column Layout

I like 2 column, myself. Lets the lines be long enough to have some decent content of each, but breaks up the walls of text, especially in rules sections where paragraphs aren't going to be very long anyway.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

I think it depends on the nature of your rules. IMO you want your paragraphs to look squarish. A single long line won't read as easily as 3 shorter lines. IE

xxxxx xxxxx xxxxx xxxxx xxxxx xxxxx xxxxx xxxxx xxxxx xxxxx xxxxx xxxxx

Won't look as good as
    xxxxx xxxxx xxxxx xxxxx
    xxxxx xxxxx xxxxx xxxxx
    xxxxx xxxxx xxxxx xxxxx
    when presenting a feat (or spell or whatever) even though they have the same number of characters.

Things like spells are further reduced because they have many short entries that each demand their own line.

School: Abjuration
    Duration: 5 minutes
    Saving Throw: Will

Those three lines are 2-3 words each. It doesn't matter if they're in a 1, 2, or 3 column layout, they won't look any different because they're so short. With lines like these, the wider you make your columns the more space you'll waste. In a 2 col layout you *might* be able to fit blocks like this in a table that has two of its own columns and that would save a little space.

How you do your typesetting depends on the data you're presenting.
    If you like what I have to say, please check out my GMing Blog where I discuss writing and roleplaying in greater depth.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

i'm a 2 column kinda guy. i rather proper use of font size & whitespace then shoving lots of small lettering in 3 confined columns.

i do agree that if all you're doing is shooting keywords & short bursts of info, you can arrange it as to fit more columns per page, but for actual paragraphs, 2 columns is ideal IMO.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

@Validil
    Well, of course. However, it's easy enough to group items individually as well.
    For example:
    "Target: One creature [tab]Range: 25 Feet."
    Which would be the D&D 4E way of handling the space issue.

More significantly, however, comes consistency. In a book that has both. "The Target is dealt 2d8 damage." and the text of, let's say, Programmed Amnesia in the same book there comes the problem that whatever layout is bested suited for one is not as aptly suited for the other.

It's because of my debate with this case that I brought up the topic, though.

6. - Top - End - #6

I use two-column for everything I homebrew, and 3 for MTG Decklists.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Banned

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by oxybe View Post
    i'm a 2 column kinda guy. i rather proper use of font size & whitespace then shoving lots of small lettering in 3 confined columns.
    Who is this heretic who denies the blessed layout of BECMI? (Gygax thirsts for eye blood)

Srsly. 2 column. Proper header hierarchy. Unobtrusive B+W lineart. Decent-sized margins (so I can scrawl in marginalia/house rules, of course).

Or you could go full bore, balls-to-the-wall, game-as-art HoL-style "madman's DM notes" layout.

Anything between these two is just being froofy and art schoolish for the sake of it.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

2 columns. It's the most convenient width for readability on standard size RPG books.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by bosssmiley View Post
    Who is this heretic who denies the blessed layout of BECMI? (Gygax thirsts for eye blood)

Srsly. 2 column. Proper header hierarchy. Unobtrusive B+W lineart. Decent-sized margins (so I can scrawl in marginalia/house rules, of course).

Or you could go full bore, balls-to-the-wall, game-as-art HoL-style "madman's DM notes" layout.

Anything between these two is just being froofy and art schoolish for the sake of it.
    one BIG pet peeve of mine is when you overlap text on top of pictures. i point to the "tome" look of 3rd ed where the first page of each chapter would often be a stylized parchment look but have black introduction text overlapping the images. i don't know about other people but this strained my already bad eyes.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Bugbear in the Playground

I like the straight and blocky 2-column layout, but I grew up drooling over the 2nd-edition and older books that looked more like Wall Street Journals or appliance manuals than what we've got now.

I also like black-and-white rather than color in my rpg books.

obnoxious
    sig
    On DMPCs: "Remember, nothing will spice up your campaign quicker than long descriptions of NPC’s doing spectacular stuff while the players sit around and watch." -Shamus Young, DM of the Rings
    Divide By Zero: Irreverent Fool, you are my hero.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SweetRein View Post
    I'm interested to know what book column layout various players prefer for Roleplaying Games. Quite simply. Any opinion, especially "why?" would be appreciated.
    Short answer, it depends.

More detailed answer - A document's line length should be around four to five inches long. In an 8 1/2 x 11 format, this will generally be two columns. In a 5 1/2 x 8 1/2 format it's only one column. So on and so forth...
    -
    I laugh at myself first, before anyone else can.
    -- Paraphrased from Elsa Maxwell
    -
    The more labels you have for yourself, the dumber they make you.
    -- Paul Graham in Keep Your Identity Small

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Raum View Post
    Short answer, it depends.

More detailed answer - A document's line length should be around four to five inches long. In an 8 1/2 x 11 format, this will generally be two columns. In a 5 1/2 x 8 1/2 format it's only one column. So on and so forth...
    Oh ho, I have neglected a bit of information there. Thank you.
    I am more specifically referring to 8.5 x 11 in formatting in general.