New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Default [4E] Any news on the monk class?

Hey guys i was wondering if anyone had heard anything about the Dex/Str build of the monk yet?
    or any other new niceitys?

Cheers ^_^
    Fear Victor Von Kittie!!!!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Halfling in the Playground

Default Re: [4E] Any news on the monk class?

Don't have my PC near by but if you can download character builder. They have alot from PHB3 including the monk.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Vulkarius View Post
    Don't have my PC near by but if you can download character builder. They have alot from PHB3 including the monk.
    But he's specifically asking about the OTHER build, the one that isn't avaliable yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    Somebody that pisses off a Warlock is going to go down fast. But with a Warlock, death will be a mercy because the Warlock is a secondary controller, and en route to killing you he'll first cripple you, then blind you, then set you on fire, then steal your girlfriend.
    "There is no overkill, there is only 'open fire' and 'I need to reload.'" - Howard Tayler

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

We'll need to wait for PHB3's release, which is this month.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Firbolg in the Playground

There's a Q&A going on with people who got the PHB3 early, over here. I believe they've answered some questions about the other Monk builds.
    You can call me Draz.
    Trophies:
    Spoiler
    Show

Also of note:

I have a number of ongoing projects that I manically jump between to spend my free time ... so don't be surprised when I post a lot about something for a few days, then burn out and abandon it.
    ... yes, I need to be tested for ADHD.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

I haven't checked out the monk yet. Hopefully 4e is the answer to monks sucking?

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, it was the answer to both Bards and Warlocks sucking. And any other non-magic class past level 10.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deophaun View Post
    It doesn't so much as demean the celestial monkey's existence, so much as fulfill it. Without the ability to be summoned to set off traps, retrieve objects from dangerous situations, and all and all be a party's guinea pig, the Celestial Monkey would languish in obscurity in the MM and do nothing more legendary than eat celestial bananas.
    Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by Frosty View Post
    I haven't checked out the monk yet. Hopefully 4e is the answer to monks sucking?
    The only build they've previewed so far is the monk with a greater emphasis on controllers. I had one in my party for a little while (he didn't survive the encounter with the mindflayer. Well, he survived, but his free will didn't), and they're...interesting. Some quick thoughts:

1) So mobile it's terrifying. Seriously, a monk with move speed of 8-9 is not bizarre.
    2) lots of pushing, pulling, tripping.
    3) Their damage "schtick" (like the rogue's sneak attack, warlock's curse, hunter's quary, etc) is their flurry of blows ability. It doesn't do as much damage as the others, but you have the choice of applying it to either the primary target, or adjacent targets, so if you want to beat up on the big-bad while simultaniously taking out the minions that are surrounding you, it's pretty simple