New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1

Default "The Savage" Build Concept [3.5]

Yes, somebody asked someting similar to this, but I love the idea. However, my group is highly "goofy" with oddball characters. Here's my concept of the true Savage Species:

Race: Feral Longtooth Shifter (so I can have BOTH a claw and bite attacks)
    Class: Champion of the Wild Ranger (with shifter subs)5/Scout 5/Weretouched Master 10
    Feats (Minus Required): Swift Tracker, Combat Expertise, Battle Jump, Leap Attack, Combat Shifting, That feat from RoE that gives a LT Shifter's Bite attack a -lv ability, Shock Trooper
    Weapons: Shortbow, Deep Crystal (Green) shortspear
    Armor: Dragonhide Leather armor, Light Wooden Shield

any suggestions?
    Last edited by LichPrinceAlim; 2010-03-03 at 01:03 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Banned

Default Re: "The Savage" Build Concept [3.5]

Feral doesn't grant any of those nifty abilities (pounce, improved grab, etc) unless you have racial HD. That build lacks racial hitdice.

3. - Top - End - #3

Quote Originally Posted by faceroll View Post
    Feral doesn't grant any of those nifty abilities (pounce, improved grab, etc) unless you have racial HD. That build lacks racial hitdice.
    and? I like the option of going all-natural on them. If anything, I'd swap Shifter with Lizardfolk and swap Weretouched Master with Primeval

4. - Top - End - #4
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by LichPrinceAlim View Post
    and? I like the option of going all-natural on them. If anything, I'd swap Shifter with Lizardfolk and swap Weretouched Master with Primeval
    Natural attacks are easier to pick up without a +1 LA that isn't doing a whole lot for you.

5. - Top - End - #5

Natural attacks are easier to pick up without a +1 LA that isn't doing a whole lot for you.
    Bonuses to Stats, a claw attack, making me immune to "Humanoid-Exclusive" spells, and a size boost aren't a lot?!

6. - Top - End - #6
    Banned

Bonuses to Stats, a claw attack, making me immune to "Humanoid-Exclusive" spells, and a size boost aren't a lot?!
    Not compared to what's out there.
    Half-minotaur or half ogre gets you a real size boost, +4 con, +2 NA, and +10 strength. Put those both on a small creature, and you're getting +20 strength and large size for +2 LA.

Doesn't change your base type, though, which is nice, since you can drink potions of enlarge person and be huge.

7. - Top - End - #7

Not compared to what's out there.
    Half-minotaur or half ogre gets you a real size boost, +4 con, +2 NA, and +10 strength. Put those both on a small creature, and you're getting +20 strength and large size for +2 LA.

Doesn't change your base type, though, which is nice, since you can drink potions of enlarge person and be huge.
    I get it... I suck.

So plan B:

Race: Half-Minotaur Half-Ogre Poisondusk Lizardfolk
    Class: Champion of the Wild Ranger 5/Scout 5/Primeval 10
    Feats: Swift Tracker, anything that is nature-based
    Last edited by LichPrinceAlim; 2010-03-03 at 02:19 PM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Banned

I get it... I suck.

So plan B:

Race: Half-Minotaur Half-Ogre Poisondusk Lizardfolk
    Class: Champion of the Wild Ranger 5/Scout 5/Primeval 10
    Feats: Swift Tracker, anything that is nature-based
    No, that's not what I'm saying at all. I'm just saying you can put things together at the same cost (+2 LA) for better results. The huge appeal of feral, for me anyway, was all the abilities that scaled with level. Until I read it closer and saw that they only scaled with hit dice.

It's still a very solid template.
    Last edited by faceroll; 2010-03-03 at 02:27 PM.

9. - Top - End - #9

No, that's not what I'm saying at all. I'm just saying you can put things together at the same cost (+2 LA) for better results. The huge appeal of feral, for me anyway, was all the abilities that scaled with level. Until I read it closer and saw that they only scaled with hit dice.

It's still a very solid template.
    so a Feral Poisondusk Lizardfolk would be an applicable combo?

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Just a note for natural attack centered characters the prestige class Thayan Gladiator is actually really nice, it's nothing game breaking but still good.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Banned

so a Feral Poisondusk Lizardfolk would be an applicable combo?
    Depends on the build. If you're going for lots of clawing, it'd work just fine for the +2 LA. Be a bit of a glass cannon, but with pounce barbarian as your first level, what a cannon!

12. - Top - End - #12

Quote Originally Posted by nyarlathotep View Post
    Just a note for natural attack centered characters the prestige class Thayan Gladiator is actually really nice, it's nothing game breaking but still good.
    Oooo. Thayan Gladiator... But I'm from the natural world, armed with the weapons the Gods wrought upon the earth without artificial transmutatuon (ie, no forged weapons or armor)

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Don't forget about the Warshaper or the possibilities you could get into by grabbing a level of swordsage or warblade and going into Bloodclaw Master.

Shifters also get special differences when they take the Bloodclaw Master class.

14. - Top - End - #14

Quote Originally Posted by HunterOfJello View Post
    Don't forget about the Warshaper or the possibilities you could get into by grabbing a level of swordsage or warblade and going into Bloodclaw Master.

Shifters also get special differences when they take the Bloodclaw Master class.
    grrrrrr....Warshaper....The bane of my existance

and I'm not a huge fan of ToB for MOST builds.