New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default The Secret Saint [D&D]

Threads on various deities (especially the Burning Hate threads) have recently prompted me to try looking at various deities in a different light. My most recent project has me thinking: is there any way Vecna could be (or at least seem to be) a good deity?

I know it's a stretch, but I'm trying to think of flawed logic, phrases, etc. that could paint Vecna as good. All I have so far is things like "His eye is on us all," and "All secrets are safe with him." I know it's not much of a start, but I'm hoping the Playgrounders can help out.

Also, I'm looking for events in Vecna's history that can be spun. His betrayal by Khass has a very Judas-like feel to it.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: The Secret Saint [D&D]

Open Grave has a alternate history of Vecna, written by one of his cultists- that paints him as positively saintly.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

3. - Top - End - #3
    Banned

Aren't clerics of "secrets" gods allowed to fake being part of other clergies? Followers of Mask do this occasionally, lying by omission and leaving false impressions as to who they serve.

It seems to me that Vecnans should be able to do something similar.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Firbolg in the Playground

I know that followers can lie, and Vecna would encourage it. However, I think it'll be better if my cleric speaks in vague terms about this great god he serves throughout the campaign. Then, at a pivotal moment, it's revealed that the name of this god he serves...is Vecna. Preferrably right before killing one or more member of the party.

I'll definitely check out Open Grave-that sounds like a phenomenal resource! Thanks for the replies, and feel free to keep them coming.