New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: ToB questions

1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default ToB questions

Can I use a standard action manuever as the attack of a charge?
    (Wolf Fang Strike, for instance)

If I make a readied action to attack Fighter B if Fighter A falls, can I use sudden leap beforehand when I do?
    (I'm standing on the edge of a fight waiting to see if my ally wins, if he doesn't -falls-, can I sudden leap and attack as part of the same readied action?)

2. - Top - End - #2
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: ToB questions

A Charge is a special full-round action. No standard-action strike can be combined with it, though some involve a charge as part of the strike.

As to Readied Action, I'd say no, you can only ready a Standard Action. Your DM may say differently though, ask them.

Zeal's Tier System for PrC's
    Zeal's Expanded Alignment System
    Zeal's "Creative" Build Requests
    Bubs the Commoner
    Zeal's "Minimum-Intervention" balance fix
    Feat Point System fix (in progress)

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by JadePhoenix View Post
    sonofzeal, you're like a megazord of awesome and win.
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    SonOfZeal, it is a great joy to see that your Kung-Fu remains undiminished in this, the twilight of an age. May the Great Wheel be kind to you, planeswalker.

3. - Top - End - #3

OrcBarbarianGuy

No, a charge only allows for a normal attack at the end of it. Certain maneuvers involve a charge, but you can't use any standard action during a normal charge.

Also no. Readying an action only gets you a standard. Since swift actions can only be taken on your turn, you can't use that before the readied standard.

Unless I misremember the readying rules, I believe you could ready the swift action to leap, but you wouldn't be able to do much else after that. Otherwise, you're stuck with whatever immediate action movement you can dig up.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eladrinblade View Post
    Can I use a standard action manuever as the attack of a charge?
    (Wolf Fang Strike, for instance)
    I think not. Some maneuvers specifically allow being used on a charge, but otherwise, no.

If I make a readied action to attack Fighter B if Fighter A falls, can I use sudden leap beforehand when I do?
    (I'm standing on the edge of a fight waiting to see if my ally wins, if he doesn't -falls-, can I sudden leap and attack as part of the same readied action?)
    You want Delay. Ready can't do that, far as I can tell. Especially since you don't want to 'interrupt' anything.
    I started my first campaign around a campfire, having pancakes. They were blueberry.
    My homebrew(updated 6/17):

5. - Top - End - #5

I don't want to delay if my ally falls on the opponents first strike, but I'm too far away to just attack.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

I don't want to delay if my ally falls on the opponents first strike, but I'm too far away to just attack.
    Not to be argumentative, but why not? At best, the opponent has a move + swift action left to do things with. That's normally not sufficient to get away from a sudden leaping charging ToB character. And this would happen immediately after whomever's turn(or action, if not during someone's turn) was happening at the time, so no one else would be able to do much in the way of interrupting your actions.
    I started my first campaign around a campfire, having pancakes. They were blueberry.

7. - Top - End - #7

I should have said "in case" instead of "if".

Ok, long story: I'm watching a fight in a dive tavern between a guy who doesn't know I want him to win and a bad guy. I don't want to show my hand unless the guy I want to win starts to lose (when he falls).

If he does fall, I want to stab the other guy in the face before he can kill the guy I want to win, which may mean acting between the bad guys first and second attacks on his turn.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

So ready an action to throw a beer mug at the guy you don't want to win?

Also, by your description, you might be able to get close enough by just taking a 5' step in your readied action.