New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default [3.5] What happens to your flatfooted AC if your dex mod is negative?

If you have 8 dex (-1 mod), does that mean that your ac when flatfooted is higher than when you're aware of attacks?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: [3.5] What happens to your flatfooted AC if your dex mod is negative?

It denies bonuses, not penalties.

Dexterity Modifier is slightly different than Dexterity Bonus.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: [3.5] What happens to your flatfooted AC if your dex mod is negative?

Nope. You only lose a bonus to AC; a penalty remains. You still suck just as much at dodging as you go '=o' and stumble back. =P

4. - Top - End - #4
    Banned

Flumph

No. At least I really hope there isn't a silly RAW interpretation that does this.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Ahhh, that makes sense. So you get dex mod to AC normally, but lose dex bonus to AC when flatfooted.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Myou View Post
    Ahhh, that makes sense. So you get dex mod to AC normally, but lose dex bonus to AC when flatfooted.
    Yes, exactly.
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Pixie in the Playground

DrowGuy

Sadly that is the case. I always liked to imagine that my PC would blindly stumble out of trouble without realising it, Inspector Clouseau Style
    Onomatopoeia, a word of irony

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by kakiseirei View Post
    Sadly that is the case. I always liked to imagine that my PC would blindly stumble out of trouble without realising it, Inspector Clouseau Style
    Which makes no sesne but would be very amusing. That should be a feat - turn your Dex and Wis penalties into a bonus to your AC if you can sucessfully fail to notice attacks. x3

9. - Top - End - #9
    Firbolg in the Playground

Which makes no sesne but would be very amusing. That should be a feat - turn your Dex and Wis penalties into a bonus to your AC if you can sucessfully fail to notice attacks. x3
    You should also be able to tell when people are lying by failing Sense Motive checks.
    You can call me Draz.
    Trophies:
    Spoiler
    Show

Also of note:

I have a number of ongoing projects that I manically jump between to spend my free time ... so don't be surprised when I post a lot about something for a few days, then burn out and abandon it.
    ... yes, I need to be tested for ADHD.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Barbarian in the Playground

Which makes no sesne but would be very amusing.
    OTOH, it makes no sense for somebody who is bad at dodging to utilize their dex...or lack thereof. It signifies that they are aware of the attack if their dex is not excluded.
    Zombitar courtesy of Djinn_In_Tonic.