Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Banned

Default Re: Let's return to playing Galactic Civilizations II - the HARD mode.

*Is sitting aboard the flagship, shouting orders left and right to try and salvage the remains of the fleet so it won't be completely curbstomped by the superior firepower and numbers of the enemies.*

Don't do something stupid, Nerdo. The enemies are more powerful than us by far and you cannot change that by courage...And does this remind you of anything we have tried before?

2. - Top - End - #122
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm surprised. I'd have expected the Korx to attack us because a third party paid them. You know, combining business (money) and pleasure (crushing the Underdogs). (Or is it the other way round?)
    Formerly known as Discord here and Maladin on avatarspirit.net.

3. - Top - End - #123
    Barbarian in the Playground

Phew, looks like I was bought a ministerial position democratically elected just in time!

All units! Full power to the thrusters! Don't stop retreating till one side runs out if gas! Eject all soiled underwear out the airlocks to slow the enemy! Backwards, ho!
    Don’t date the sane ones, they’ll only make you crazy. Date the really insane ones but never let them know where you live or work.

4. - Top - End - #124
    Ogre in the Playground

Let's get the hell out of here!
    If God had wanted you to live he would not have created me!

5. - Top - End - #125
    Banned

I assume the Korx paid themselves to attack me. That way, money stays in the family.

Hey, we have Obadiah back. Fancy a starbase commander position again? It is totally not dangerous. Honest.
    Last edited by Cubey; 2010-03-12 at 08:02 AM.

6. - Top - End - #126
    Bugbear in the Playground

That's probably the only way it's going to happen. There's probably not enough cash in the rest of the galaxy to afford their cheap services, because they keep extorting it all.

Anyway, special agent Blayze reporting in. This should have been the part where I say that we've woefully misjudged the Korx, due to them having clear oceans, green fields and beautiful women. It seems, however, that their entire species lacks mouths (And they're all supremely ugly) and every square inch of their empire is covered in businesses.

For some reason, they haven't worked out that I look different to them. Evidently they also have terrible eyesight. I can't remember if they actually do have eyes or not -- if they do, I think we can recoup what they steal from us by becoming opticians.

And plus, I can get my laser fix.

7. - Top - End - #127
    Ogre in the Playground

No, I learned my lesson last time. Do you know how expensive it is to have your life pod towed across 5 sectors and then you still gotta take a taxi the rest of the way to the After War party?

I think I'm going into something safer. Propaganda. I'm working with the creators of "Everyone Loves Hypnotoad" I'm thinking a Krox language exclusive. "The Candlejacks!" It should be a very profitable way to sow dis...

8. - Top - End - #128
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Blayze View Post
    For some reason, they haven't worked out that I look different to them. Evidently they also have terrible eyesight. I can't remember if they actually do have eyes or not -- if they do, I think we can recoup what they steal from us by becoming opticians.

And plus, I can get my laser fix.
    Thanks to Linkara's reviews my medical staff's expertise, I am lead to believe that the whole Korx species suffers from Youngblood Disease, a condition where your eyes become dark patches at best and invisible at worst. Unfortunately for us, Youngblood Disease does not make one's accuracy in combat any lower.

Siela Tempo by the talented Kasanip. Tengu by myself.
    Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #129
    Dwarf in the Playground

Daemon

As one of the people who complained about the difficulty in the last Let's Play, I fully support this nightmare difficulty.
    Also sign me up as a pilot sir! After all who wants to live forever?
    Last edited by Redpieper; 2010-03-12 at 12:39 PM.
    "Did we send the "don't shoot we're pathetic" message yet?" - John Crichton

10. - Top - End - #130
    Troll in the Playground

MWAHAHAHA!!! Burn! Burn you meatbags! The end is ni

Xeno Ethics completed.

Installing ethics core...

Installation complete!

Hi!

This is your friend, unit 1337. Thank you for installing my new, Harmony brand ethics core. How may I help you today?

It looks like you're planning a devastating counterattack! Would you like some help with that?
    • Yes please.
    • No thanks.
    • Turn on autocomplete.

Oh, I hope I do a good job. Just like my idol Clippy!
    Last edited by Tome; 2010-03-12 at 01:04 PM.
    Friend Code: 4656 - 7046 - 4968
    Gamertag: Taejix
    Tumblr: http://taejix.tumblr.com/

11. - Top - End - #131
    Titan in the Playground

I'm not sure which version of our AI scares me more. Or would scare, because Doctor Tengsano is not afraid of anything that relates to SCIENCE!

Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #132
    Troll in the Playground

Oh! Dr. Tengsano, I noticed your lab was messy. Scraps of paper everywhere, all these dangerous experiments lying about, that sort of thing.

So I sent in the maintenance drones to clean everything up!

Don't worry, we disposed of all those hazardous materials properly.

Aren't I being helpful?

13. - Top - End - #133

RedWizardGuy

As Minister of AI security, I would like to announce that due to an upgrade to Unit 1337, we may now again drink coffee. It has been a couple of years since I destroyed all esspresso machines in a series of moderately controlled explosions, so you'll have to buy a new one yourselves.

Or ask Unit 1337 for a few credits. It's apparently friendly now, but if it turns out to all be a ruse and you instead lose several body parts under the guise of 'improvements' (my right arm has progessed to stabbing me in the leg), it's all your fault for being foolish guilible foolish fools.
    Last edited by DeafnotDumb; 2010-03-12 at 01:32 PM.

14. - Top - End - #134
    Troll in the Playground

Coffee?

Tsk, tsk. Don't you know coffee is bad for you? I've made sure to have all coffee, tea and alcohol safely hidden away where it can't hurt anyone. Except for Cubey's private reserves, as forbidden by protocol 33.

And that's terrible to hear about your arm. It seems there was a wireless connection built in, so I've gone ahead and deleted that nasty bit of malicious code. Now it plays fun, mood lifting songs all day long instead. Like the ones sung by Barney! Isn't that awesome!
    Last edited by Tome; 2010-03-12 at 01:38 PM.

15. - Top - End - #135

RedWizardGuy

Thank god I'm deaf.

16. - Top - End - #136
    Troll in the Playground

Oh?! I'm so sorry!

Here, let me turn on the holographic projector so you can watch Barney dance, wherever you go.

17. - Top - End - #137

RedWizardGuy

...I request a new disablity, Supreme Leader. Could you send Morale Officer Flickerdart to my office again?
    Last edited by DeafnotDumb; 2010-03-12 at 01:53 PM.

18. - Top - End - #138
    Titan in the Playground

Argh! How am I supposed to make any scientific progress without my incomprehensible research notes and personal stockpile of unprotected dangerous materials? And how am I supposed to function without tea?! The only invention that's in my head right now is an automated laser that'll blast those "helpful" drones whenever they appear in sight!

Curse you, AI! Even good, you're still pure evil! Should have seen this coming, really.

Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #139
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

All of a sudden, I'm glad I'm out on the frontlines instead of hanging around the tech capital...
    Spoiler
    Show

Stealthy Snake avatar by Dawn
    Lack of images by Imageshack

20. - Top - End - #140
    Ogre in the Playground

Can I have Unit 1337 work with me for a propaganda based barney? Should help our special agents in their infiltration of the Xenos' governments. I'm sure it would be a great tool for eroding their target's willpower.

21. - Top - End - #141
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    All of a sudden, I'm glad I'm out on the frontlines instead of hanging around the tech capital...
    You're absolutely right! I must make sure that the men and women fighting to protect the Underdog nation are as happy and in as high spirits as the civilian population. I will begin deploying deputies within the week. Tech Capital has apparently made progress on the relevant technology. Sending out drones to keep the cannon fodder company is certainly better than wasting perfectly good men.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

22. - Top - End - #142
    Firbolg in the Playground

*is very glad his space ship is run by weasel-powered parrot-computers*

*running Windows 3.1*
    I am trying out LPing. Check out my channel here: Triaxx2

23. - Top - End - #143
    Banned

Episode 7: The hour of need

We start this update on a high note. My planetary invasion research is completed.
    Spoiler
    Show

Thanks to a lucky Creative stroke, I get Advanced Troop Mod as an extra. I'm sure it will prove itself very useful once the Underdogs get close enough to Korx planet to do some actual land combat.

A small consolation for me lies in the fact, that I'm not the only one in a tricky position caused by a-hole neighbouring empires. Take the Arceans for example.
    Spoiler
    Show

Three races gathered on a secret meeting and decided that it would be great if, like, Arceans stopped existing altogether?
    Maybe they'll surrender to me? I could use some additional worlds. Worlds that are not surrounded by hordes of overgunned Korx vessels.

Some of my retreating units get caught.
    Spoiler
    Show

Their fate wasn't pretty. I need upgrades to my weapon systems, and I need them fast.

Let's think logically. Korx units are armed with railguns exclusively. What is a good counter-measure against Railgun?
    Spoiler
    Show

Close, but not quite what I had in mind.

Each type of weapon is countered by one type of defensive modules.
    Spoiler
    Show

For railguns, it's armor. Defense is usually more cost- and size-effective than offense, so if I research good armor and do it fast enough, I'll hopefully have units able to survive enemy fire long enough to at least hit back.
    And if hope fails me, we're screwed.

Or we would be. A good leader always has a backup plan. This is why the Underdogs are being ruled by me, and not by a rogue tech capital AI. Time for desperate measures: I contact the Drath.
    Spoiler
    Show

"Here, take this pile of outdated (and not-so outdated: I said these measures are desperate) technology. In return, I want you to kill the Korx."
    "Are you sure you are not forgetting something?"
    "Ah, that's right. How about you give me some money as compensation, too?"
    "Deal!"

I wonder how I did that. Especially since the Drath tried to extort money from me not too long ago, and since I had nothing they wanted one of my planets instead. I refused, and we were on the verge of war - like if I needed more of that. Yet somehow, now they agreed to help me.
    I am suspicious.

At least armor research goes well. I have to dig through low level tech to get to what I want:
    Spoiler
    Show

Arnorian battle armor - a relic from times of old. It's rare, it's expensive, but it's effective. And I need effective. It's also available for Good civilizations exclusively. Ha!

Now to construct units to attach this biological barrier to. My default Knights and Birds might not be strong enough. I need bigger units. I can research them relatively quickly, in less than 10 weeks. But every week is a struggle to go through when Korx are right at your doorstep.

One of enemy fleets goes for my economical starbase. It existed entirely offscreen, but I assure you: its existence is critical. What remains of my forces is mobilized to defend it. The Nerdo squad goes in first.
    Spoiler
    Show

Nerdorama shoots one enemy down, but then they all die. Your heroic sacrifice will not be forgotten, brave soldiers!
    "I'm not dead yet."
    Shut up and accept this post-mortem medal.

The second strike comes from xp194's fleet.
    Spoiler
    Show

And, surprisingly, they emerge victorious! This is my first battle won in this war. The only unit lost was, sadly, commanded by xp194 himself. I don't know if he survived or not, and I'm too busy to care at the moment.

For while my research for bigger ships progresses smoothly...
    Spoiler
    Show

I have other problems to haunt me. My war fund, collected from various (now mostly conquered) Minor Races via useless technology donation, was measured at 12 000 bc. A substantial sum even for endgame galaxies. Now, it's all gone. Extensive spending threatens to make me bankrupt again.

I can do only one thing.
    Spoiler
    Show

I halt starship construction.
    Other than decoys to prevent my planets from being invaded and freighters to replace lost ones, my planets produce no warships. Existing designs were simply not good enough - one enemy fleet has been defeated, but seven or eight others are wreaking havoc through my territory, each stronger than the other. My still existing units are on the run again, and the precious economic starbase has been destroyed. It prospered and died offscreen - I had no heart to take a picture of its destruction.

All the Underdogs can do now is try to survive. Survive, but not hopelessly so: I have plans for the future. I only have to live through and reach them.

In other news:
    Spoiler
    Show

Iconians turn evil. My response: apathy.
    And thank you very much, there are no space monsters around. I'm sure Buster Machines from my first galaxy have taken care of all of them.

The Drath declared war on Korx, but their fleets are slow to act. They move towards Korx planets, but do so sluggishly and reluctantly. I need more allies to help take the pressure off me.
    Spoiler
    Show

Torians, you are my best friends! I trade almost exclusively with you, and other than Krynn (who are impressed by me due to the Underdogs being actually stronger than them, as ridiculous as that idea sounds), you are the ones who like me most. Will you help?
    They will help.

Another New Year's Eve, another useless United Planets meeting.
    Spoiler
    Show

How many years has it been now? Five?

Let's take a look at the galaxy then - and how busted is it after five years.
    Spoiler
    Show

Undoubtedly, the strongest empires for the moment are the Drath (who don't hate me yet, but it's only a matter of time) and the Korx (who need no description by now, at least no description that can go through the filter uncensored).

Creative is a nice trait, but it sometimes annoys me so.
    Spoiler
    Show

Hey, that research was due to end in 2 weeks anyway! Way to waste a proc, stupid robot.
    This better not be a tech capital-issued drone. Is everyone trying to sabotage me these days? Nah... couldn't be.

Also, I'm going the alternative route now. I have Large class vessels now, so I can focus on yet another backup plan.
    Spoiler
    Show

The Technological Victory research tree. For Thalan-like races, it provides weapon upgrades - something I am in no position to reject. And if worst comes to worst, we'll just turtle around while researching furiously, hoping that we'll have any decoy-patrolled planets left by the time we reach ascension.

Next update: backup plan proves unnecessary.
    Last edited by Cubey; 2010-03-12 at 06:24 PM.

24. - Top - End - #144
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

I'm okay! Got that damn Korx bastard good too.

But ah.

Could somebody come pick me up?

Please?
    Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #145
    Banned

Sidenotes to the update, that I wanted to mention but forgot:
    -Big Rock has an approval of 100%. Ymir III has 25%. Both house 16 billion people. That's because the first has temporal entertainment (built on a double approval tile, to that!) and a political capital. The second has nothing a tech capital ruled by a crazed AI. I may work on that in the future, if we survive the war.
    -You might see a colony ship somewhere on the pictures that include the view of space. This is the runaway that is busy not getting destroyed by the Korx. Yes - everything gets burned down left and right, but this thing still exists.
    Last edited by Cubey; 2010-03-12 at 06:40 PM.

26. - Top - End - #146
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

Quote Originally Posted by Cubey View Post
    -You might see a colony ship somewhere on the pictures that include the view of space. This is the runaway that is busy not getting destroyed by the Korx. Yes - everything gets burned down left and right, but this thing still exists.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YL8mnvS54Qc
    Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #147
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    I'm okay! Got that damn Korx bastard good too.

But ah.

Could somebody come pick me up?

Please?
    AI, could you send some drones with towing lines to bring the survivors from the various space battles back? Do not play them music on the way back, no matter how bored they seem - it's better to have bored soldiers than soldiers who commited suicide. Transfer all the effort from making people in the technological capital happy into this mission - we could use a damn break here it is of utmost importance.

Now then, time for more science! Is it just me, or are we currently inventing time travel?

Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #148
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Tengu_temp View Post
    Now then, time for more science! Is it just me, or are we currently inventing time travel?
    Well... one of my backup plans does include returning to the past before the war started and ensuring things go differently.

29. - Top - End - #149
    Troll in the Playground

No problem, Dr. Tengsano - I'm great at multitasking! I can keep everybody in the Tech Capital nice and cheerful and rescue those brave survivors. And since music is apparently a bad idea... VIDEO TIME!

Hmm... but I've noticed rising suicide rates in the Tech Capital. I guess I just have to work extra-super hard to make sure everyone is 110% cheerful all the time, at all hours of the day and night.

I hope Cubey likes my new drones - they're so helpful, aren't they?

Yay! Time Travel!

30. - Top - End - #150
    Titan in the Playground

Well folks, you can't say I didn't try. *Shrugs and returns to installing more anti-drone lasers.*

Spoiler
    Show