Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Let's return to playing Galactic Civilizations II - the HARD mode.

Well, looks like the staged war has gotten to the grand finale! A home-engineered robotic double (since Ymir III can't be trusted to screw in a lightbulb without detonating a star) has been dispatched to the Korx homeworld to lead a crackdown that will mercilessly crush its citizens and strike fear and obedience into the Underdogs, and hopefully the rest of the galaxy; Galactic leaders are beginning to see through Cubey's feeble ruse, and filling their pockets is the only thing that keeps up this charade.
    Some would make you believe that I was to be sent to the Korx homeworld on Cubey's own orders, but his underfunded servicemen were too incompetent to tell the difference between me and the bot. These people are dissenters and should be shot on sight, or reported to my office so they can be taken to Mithalar and have their morale raised.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

2. - Top - End - #212
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

It's this close, huh?

Well, fighting's not everything...it'll be a damn good adventure to see the next universe.

Re: Beyond Mortality: well I coulda told you that...
    Last edited by Nerd-o-rama; 2010-03-14 at 10:19 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Stealthy Snake avatar by Dawn
    Lack of images by Imageshack

3. - Top - End - #213
    Barbarian in the Playground

*applause*
    Can't wait for the finale!

4. - Top - End - #214
    Titan in the Playground

When I insisted that we can become immortal, they said I was mad! And who is laughing now? Who?! A HA HA HA HA HA HA!

Wait a second. Where did the budget for improving the anti-drone lasers go? And for my robot girl harem personal robotic research assistants?
    Last edited by Tengu_temp; 2010-03-14 at 10:39 PM.

Siela Tempo by the talented Kasanip. Tengu by myself.
    Spoiler
    Show

5. - Top - End - #215
    Banned

*kicks back in her escape pod waiting to be picked up* Seems like we are done. Now it is all up to those fools in the tech capital to save us all.

6. - Top - End - #216
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

Captain...it was an honor serving with you.

Sure hope you're not in that escape pod as long as I was...
    Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #217

I bet the Korx escape pods are also made entirely out of gun.
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

8. - Top - End - #218

BlackDragon

Hey, it's not Terra's vengeful ghost you need to worry about... *haunts Cubey's shower*

9. - Top - End - #219
    Troll in the Playground

Wait a second. Where did the budget for improving the anti-drone lasers go? And for my robot girl harem personal robotic research assistants?
    It will be there after completion of your current research objectives.
    There will also be delicious coffee ♫.

all research an military personals are remiunded that in case off failure to meet deadlines, they will be scheduled for a remotivational seminar. Drengin style ♫
    Last edited by smuchmuch; 2010-03-15 at 06:20 AM.
    I'm sig'ing in the rain, just sig'ing in the rain....

Somme old avatars, by me
    Spoiler
    Show

-

10. - Top - End - #220
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    Hey, it's not Terra's vengeful ghost you need to worry about... *haunts Cubey's shower*
    Do you really want to see what goes on in there?

And of course, my Phantom has a jury-rigged escape pod. Just in case. I know I'm still more or less intact...and ignore that hole over there...but you know...just in case...
    "And if you don't, the consequences will be dire!"
    "What? They'll have three extra hit dice and a rend attack?"

Factotum Variants!

11. - Top - End - #221
    Banned

I'm being more careful with Noventa than with other ship captains - pretty much because his is the only Underdog combat unit in the whole right side frontier. Unless you count the crappy mark I Space Knights. And temporary allies whose mission is to be constructed, join a fight and die.

And yes, I'm totally playing favorites this time. That Valsione picture? Just too cute.

I do not have a shower. I have a huge open-air bath (with closable roof in case of rain). And I am the only one allowed to use it.
    Last edited by Cubey; 2010-03-15 at 02:38 AM.

12. - Top - End - #222

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter Noventa View Post
    Do you really want to see what goes on in there?
    I was thinking more along the lines of it's a perfect place for a mysterious ghostly "accident" to happen to our esteemed leader...

13. - Top - End - #223
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    I was thinking more along the lines of it's a perfect place for a mysterious ghostly "accident" to happen to our esteemed leader...
    Hush, you. You're not supposed to let on about the neutron cluster bomb in Cubey's bathtub... placed there for his personal use of course- we wouldn't want him caught defenceless in the bath if the enemy invaded, would we?
    Part of YugiohITP

Warning: This post may contain traces of nuts, madness and/or sarcasm, you have been warned.

14. - Top - End - #224
    Ogre in the Playground

In preparation of the coming technological singularity, I have produced a new short film: Dr. Omniscience, or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Singularity. I'm thinking this is going to be the feel good comedy of the century.
    If God had wanted you to live he would not have created me!

15. - Top - End - #225
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ObadiahtheSlim View Post
    In preparation of the coming technological singularity, I have produced a new short film: Dr. Omniscience, or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Singularity. I'm thinking this is going to be the feel good comedy of the century.
    I preferred the action of 'Captain Omniscient and the alien horde', myself.
    Part of YugiohITP

Warning: This post may contain traces of nuts, madness and/or sarcasm, you have been warned.

16. - Top - End - #226
    Firbolg in the Playground

Heh, knew those were useful. I give them away by the dozens to other races in exchange for stopping wars. When your combat ability consists entirely of them, you're willing to give a few away.

Don't suppose I can get a posterity shot of those suicide ships in the shipyard eh?
    Last edited by Triaxx; 2010-03-15 at 09:30 AM.
    I am trying out LPing. Check out my channel here: Triaxx2

17. - Top - End - #227
    Troll in the Playground

The following message is found scrawled hastily in blood on a piece of wreckage.

Don't know how long I can hold my breath. Send help.
    - EH.
    Truth resists simplicity.

18. - Top - End - #228
    Banned

This actually is turning out to be a good summary of why I think GalCiv is a bad game.

First of all I want to make it clear that none of this is targeted at the OP, it's the game itself that annoys me.

What exactly IS the strategy? What's special about it? What differentiates the strategy being employed from the alternatives that might be employed? From the description here (which fits with my memories of playing the game) it's basically: hold the aliens off through delaying tactics, then pick them apart once you get some ships that can beat theirs. That isn't strategy, it's rudimentary survival. There's nothing special or strategic about it. Strategy involves decisions and tradeoffs for going one way as opposed to another; where were the major strategic decision points here? (The tech victory vs big guns choice doesn't really qualify, that's a matter of "win now or play some more".) Every game plays out basically the same way. There's the option of the different victory conditions to aim for, but that's not "strategy", it's a matter of picking which types of things to build - you're still building starbases and upgrading planets and holding the pushy aliens off in fundamentally the same manner until your long-term plans come into play, no matter which path you pick. One might argue that the Thalan tree is a strategy, but really, all it amounts to is codifying what a player would tend to do anyway - rush through the low level tech in order to get the high-end expensive high quality stuff. The way GC's combat model works (from what I remember) it is not really possible to swarm an enemy with clouds of small cheap ships, for example - you just lose them all. And there are no tools for systematically confusing or misdirecting enemy fleets or anything like that. Diplomatic maneuvering might be a strategy but you still have to do the same basic delay-and-build-up thing if/when you can't get other aliens to do the work for you (which happens frequently) So the strategy always ends up being basically the same thing. What makes the strategy of going for a technological victory fundamentally different from any other type of victory? You'd be doing the same sort of thing as has been done in this game, no matter what. GalCiv is not a strategy game, it just looks like one.

Second, this utter nonsense of asking for tribute. Stardock apparently never heard the saying "Once you start paying the Danegeld, you never get rid of the Dane". You always get more of what you pay for: if you pay people to threaten you, they'll do it some more. If you tell them to take a flying leap and make it clear that you'll fight to the bitter end rather than pay - including actually fighting bitterly in some initial skirmishes - they will think twice about it; they'll have to decide whether the losses they'll take are worth the likely gain. Particularly if you inflict really harsh losses on them early on. See Finland vs the Soviet Union for an example of this, or actually anybody who's dealt successfully with a bully in school. But Stardock's alien civs don't think that way, they just look at 1) what money do you have, 2) what is the comparison of the game's rating of your military vs theirs. They don't take risk and the track record of losses into account at all. So it results in entirely irrational behavior on their part. When I was playing it, they'd ask for tribute, I'd say no, they'd attack, and I'd demolish hundreds of times the worth of my military with a minimal force, over and over, and they just wouldn't stop. That's not sensible behavior. It's also not strategic.

When you've played one game of this, you've pretty much played all there is to it. For a 4x game it has very little replay value.

19. - Top - End - #229
    Banned

Yeah, well - just because I don't bore my audience with every little choice (what to invent next, what planetary improvements build on which planets, etc) and instead focus on stuff I think might be fun to read about, doesn't mean these choices make no difference or worse yet, aren't even there.

You say all I did was hold out and wait for better ships to crush the enemy with. If I tried to do that, I'd be playing this LP from scratch by now. I succeeded because I paid a big, strong civ to attack my enemy from behind - which pulled the pressure off my worlds. And it was a difficult choice too: I was weak, the Drath are strong, so placating them into helping me was very expensive. I had a choice to make here, either strengthen an already overpowering civilization (as some gifts I offered them in exchange were tech advances they couldn't research), or grit my teeth and hope I will be able to hold back on my own, or with help of other, weaker races?
    Funny how you mention misdirecting enemy fleets is impossible, as that is exactly what I did in my game. As for fleets of smaller ships: they are viable, in fact that's what the Korx focus on in my game. Small units with powerful guns make glass cannon units, they are easy to destroy but pack a punch compared to their cost. Or did you hope that small-sized vessels would be as efficient as larger ones (despite the fact they're available almost from the start of the game, while bigger units require intensive research), with little HP but being able to somehow "dodge" the larger, bulkier crafts' fire?

As for the tribute part, I couldn't disagree more. Races in my game acted pretty realistically, considering AI limitations. If they see I'm weak, they demand tribute. If I agree, they won't declare war - but rather wait and them ask for MORE. If I refuse, they won't declare war either, at least not immediately. Only our relationships will become strained, so they will be twitchy and easy to provoke a fight with. How is that unrealistic?
    And when the war started, an enemy acted with similar realism. I burned down a few ships of theirs - but it wasn't enough to impress them, because they had plenty more and most of their casualties were because of other civs' actions, not mine. But when I started to fight back, and when I conquered a few of their planets - this is when they asked for peace. I refused, they asked for it again a few turns' after. I refused again, and now their pride is apparently hurt as they did not offer it for the third time.
    Last edited by Cubey; 2010-03-15 at 11:28 AM.

20. - Top - End - #230
    Banned

Episode 11: Galaxy at arm's length

Last time, we were going to invade the Korx homeworld. And on a larger scale, going for the tech victory, of course.
    The remnants of my offensive fleet strike on the defenders.
    Spoiler
    Show

I lose one Phantom, but the planet is defenseless. Now is the time to attack!
    Spoiler
    Show

Korx land forces outnumber my army three to one. But their morale is low, and I have propaganda on my side. Dust off these frisbees!
    Spoiler
    Show

We did it. The home planet of Korx, their civilization's very heart - it is ours now. And the casualties were not even that large, although I receive news that Flickerdart bites the dust. Good for me, now I don't have to deal with his antics anymore. Although I did hear a rumor that his lookalike is supposedly alive and well on Ymir III - preposterous!

Anyway, enemy fleets are still around the system, so my remaining starship runs away at top speed. Hopefully they won't catch up to it.

Speaking of starships, I recently acquired a new one.
    Spoiler
    Show

It's huge, it's intimidating - and it sucks. No wonder the Precursors went extinct.
    The Ranger is promptly used as a bargaining chip in technology exchange negotiations.
    Spoiler
    Show

I need those extra Logistics. All the units that are currently moving to what remains of Korx space should work as one fleet - Nerdo's and Fri's phantoms, suicide ships, and other, more anonymous ships.

While I put on the master admiral's hat, the Drath leader gets jealous of all the attention I give the Korx, and calls me.
    Spoiler
    Show

Yes, yes. Whatever floats your boat, buddy.
    Since my scout found out where your major worlds are, let me pay the favor back by sending out agents to sabotage your research even further.
    Spoiler
    Show

This should take care of the dragons, for now.

Back to Korx. I can't give them a chance to even breathe, what about sending a transport to my newly acquired but currently undefended planet. My forces gather for another strike.
    Spoiler
    Show

That's the strongest fleet the Underdogs ever had. But the enemy is more powerful, still.
    Spoiler
    Show

All hands, prepare for battlestations. One must fall... nevermind that there is no down in space!
    Spoiler
    Show

Suicide Ships are destroyed immediately, but they take many Korx with them. Next, the enemies concentrate fire on Fri's ship...
    Spoiler
    Show

But eventually, we are victorious! As a side effect, the Underdogs lose all ships but one. Which includes Fri's and Nerdo's units - again.

My opponents must be really angry and desperate by now. Surrounded by enemies from all sides and losing a world after world, they will try anything to reverse their fate. Can't say I don't understand them.
    Spoiler
    Show

And yet, there are some things you simply don't do.

Now I have yet another incentive to beat the Korx quickly. Transport, go!
    Spoiler
    Show

That went reasonably hassle-free, even if we consider it was only a crappy Mars-type planet. And that almost all of my attackers died.

Time to speed up my invasion plans. I take advantage of the fact that Korx used to build something in their starport, and finish the construction for them.
    Spoiler
    Show

By doing this on subsequent conquered colonies, I can blitz from planet to planet with minimal downtime. The only problem is finding enough soldiers to fill up the transport.
    As ridiculous as this idea may sound for some, I need to minimize casualties.

This is how the situation develops on the central front. And what about the frontier?
    Spoiler
    Show

Noventa got a helper.
    Spoiler
    Show

It didn't last long.
    But the sacrifice allowed me to take over another colony. It went as usual (propaganda warfare for some extra manpower, followed by incredible slaughter by both sides), so no screencap this time.

And what do you know - during my struggle, I almost forgot about the new year, and the celebration it brings! And by celebration, I mean a United Planets meeting.
    Spoiler
    Show

I was the only one to vote no for the proposed treaty, but it doesn't matter. If a neutral ground policy is enforced, I'll make sure to abuse it for my own ends. Eventually. Maybe.

And here's how the galaxy looks like.
    Spoiler
    Show

There were some territorial changes since last year, related to planets changing ownership from certain cutthroat merchants to certain underdogs.
    Coincidentally, we've been in this galaxy for seven years now. Also, the Tech Victory estimated time until completion: 15 weeks.

It is coming folks, it is coming!

Doesn't mean I'm going to sit back and relax during this time though. The Korx must pay!
    Spoiler
    Show

Truth to be told, I don't remember where did this happen. I think an enemy ambushed my fleet in transit.
    Anyway, one more Phantom down the drain. Hooray.
    My military is dwindling. Going all-out on science with little worry about anything else might have been a mistake.

But going all-out with transport assaults was definitely not. So I do not see why I should stop now.
    Spoiler
    Show

The transport from Korx II has only 2 billion soldiers on board, out of possible 4. However, Korx is right next to it.
    Spoiler
    Show

The transport lands there and loads up on bloodthirsty Underdog armymen.
    I can't believe I just said that.

Anyway, the ship in question then heads for Rathra, a Korx world with exceptionally low approval (read: lots of malcontents I can persuade to join my side) and no defenders. I'm sure you can see where it's going.
    Spoiler
    Show

In the same vein, I launch an attack on Alexus III, a 16 class planet. Quite nice - it must be mine.
    Spoiler
    Show

The situation on the Korx front looks a wee bit different than how it used to be one year ago.
    Spoiler
    Show

The enemy sphere of influence has been split into two, seperated by a wide belt of freshly acquired Underdog territory! Not many colonies remain - three on the left, and about six on the right. And then there's the frontier of course, which brings us four or five Korx planets more.
    But hey, all in a day's work.
    Also, all these ships on the map? They're Krynn. They are here not to fight me nor the Korx, just for the party. Oh, and getting blown up by the Drath. Their numbers might be large, but their tech is inferior even to mine.

And the next turn...
    Spoiler
    Show

A transport is completed on both of my newly conquered colonies. Blitz, blitz!

Research time left: 7 weeks.

During the next few turns, I have to deal with silliness. Incredible silliness that strains my patience.
    First were the Torians.
    Spoiler
    Show

Does this look like a good deal for you? Well, seeing as you proposed it, probably - but does it look like a good deal for ME? Of course not. Good-bye.

Next were some half-baked critics.
    Spoiler
    Show

The war is going badly? People fear for the future of my race?
    Over a dozen taken Korx planets sing a different tale.

Not to mention - research ETA, 2 weeks.

The next week:
    "Sir, our project will be completed in one week."
    Spoiler
    Show

Excellent.
    Lower the science funding.
    "Sir?"
    Do it.
    Spoiler
    Show

Lower it so the tech victory comes in two weeks - almost one, but make it two.

The week after:
    "Sir, the secret project will be finished any time now!"

I have the ultimate bargain chip in my hand now. If anything goes wrong, my scientists just have to finish some basic equations, install equipment and there we go: ascension. We win, leaving everyone else in the dust.

But nothing goes wrong yet. In fact, if we leave this place now, things might go bad, really bad. The Korx are trying to obtain some kind of ultimate cosmic power. I must stop them before they become a threat to everyone - not just in this galaxy. In all other galaxies, too. Maybe even the one I came from.
    Besides, they dared extort money from me. I'm not done with my payback yet.

Change the research subject!
    Spoiler
    Show

"Are you sure, sir?"
    I am sure. Let's see for how long can we pull this off.

The messenger left. I caught a glance of his expression - best described as "just as planned". Or maybe it was but my imagination.

One more thing. I order to activate the experimental 4D communication device. And then, I send a note to my past self. Time paradoxes may be fun, but they cause a terrible headache.

Next episode: Worry not, for the show goes on!

21. - Top - End - #231
    Troll in the Playground

As a bloodthirsty underdog soldier, I approve of this. We need more and better ships to defend our conquered worlds properly- and we need to make the other races pay for their arrogance. Has to be said, with the damage our suicide ships are doing, I wonder whether we should have gone for Super-warrior to minimise casualties even further...
    Part of YugiohITP

22. - Top - End - #232
    Banned

I pondered Super Warrior, but Super Isolationist saved my ass plenty of times in this LP. So it was a good choice. Besides, Super Warrior would help my suicide ships only if they destroy an enemy in one round, which not always happens.

23. - Top - End - #233
    Troll in the Playground

So you can keep going to war and you have Technological vctory at the ready if things go wrong.
    That is just both brilliant and hilarious.
    Last edited by smuchmuch; 2010-03-15 at 08:02 PM.
    I'm sig'ing in the rain, just sig'ing in the rain....

Somme old avatars, by me
    Spoiler
    Show

-

24. - Top - End - #234
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

Come on, research technological ascension already. Then I can move from being a Patrick ripoff to being a Daniel Jackson ripoff.

Also, it'll be quicker than having my escape pod towed.
    Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #235
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Come on, research technological ascension already. Then I can move from being a Patrick ripoff to being a Daniel Jackson ripoff.

Also, it'll be quicker than having my escape pod towed.
    How will technological ascension allow you to die and come back to life multiple times?
    The name is "tonberrian", even when it begins a sentence. It's magic, I ain't gotta 'splain why.

Rick Venture avatar by kpenguin, his GM.

26. - Top - End - #236
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

Well, I've already done that.

This time I'll just get to try ascending to a more awesome plane of existence!

...then get kicked out in like a year.
    Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #237
    Bugbear in the Playground

Oklahoma, where the air elementals carry brooms

Captain's log: Stardate 120 clanks, 8 pings.

Well, I've made a lot of progress on the Rustbucket, refitted from drone duty. I still have no idea how I survived the seven-odd Korx invasions, I can't imagine they'd built an entire retrieval method around a ship completely disintegrating around you the moment an energy wave greater than 500GHz brushes against it, but if they did it had to involve cloning pavement pancakes.

I've found quite a few nifty things out in this armpit of the galaxy. Vast stores of money from what were obviously space pirates, a wicked awesome gigantic ship that no doubt is terrorising those Korx dregs as I type, and even a wormhole to some strange universe ruled by a power-hungry green-skinned pacifist in a robot the size of a solar system. A little off, but at least he gave me some literature that made my brain hurt to look at it. But whatever I find out here isn't nearly as strange as what I hear from back home.

We're getting ready to leave the galaxy. I'm not really sure how, I mean, seven years ago I was the consistent winner of Run Away From The Seven-Mouthed Terror Beast but now I'm just a simple scout. I just hope that wherever they go, they stop by to pick me up. I doubt the Drath will need a RAFTSMT champion.

28. - Top - End - #238

Deal? Antics? No gratitude these days. Even the insane robot gets respect, and the only reason nobody complains is because they're dead.
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective

29. - Top - End - #239
    Banned

Not sure if i was, Nerdo. I don't know how long you were in the escape pod. But you did well out there helping us avoid certain defeat. I'm proud of you.

*A while later, as the Underdog assault truly gets going she is leading from the vanguard of the fleet ordering ships around to fill in gaps in the offensive and overwhelm the remaining Korx. Though the safety of the Underdogs had been assured, she could not in good faith let a rogue race pursue goals of world domination. Also her supreme commander ordered her to fight an undoubtedly vicious and aggressive enemy, she could not just stand by.*

30. - Top - End - #240

BlackDragon

Much as I hate to say it, my ghost approves of these actions. Although I'm wondering if Cubey is holding off ascending purely so he doesn't have to meet me as soon...