Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Let's return to playing Galactic Civilizations II - the HARD mode.

This unit regrets that it was not permitted to redesign the newly built Technological Capital on Ymir III into an endless warren of testing chambers and mazes with which to perform experiments on the meatbags within. Instead, this unit was merely given control of the announcement system. Research into the most annoying music in existence is ongoing, as is research into the effects of sleep deprivation in meatbags. Experimental results are promising.

Addendum, meatbag Tengsano seems to have disabled the speakers located in it's quarters. This is most aggravating.
    Last edited by Tome; 2010-03-07 at 03:05 PM.
    Friend Code: 4656 - 7046 - 4968
    Gamertag: Taejix
    Tumblr: http://taejix.tumblr.com/

2. - Top - End - #32
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

I noticed this on your last Let's Play--for some reason, I can often only see the upper part of the images! Any idea why that happens? (I assume it doesn't happen for everyone or you'd have noticed... ).

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ogre in the Playground

I like it and am truly curious as to how you'll survive, let alone end up ruling the galaxy.

Quote Originally Posted by Cubey View Post
    The amount of hurt will be inversely proportional to the Underdogs' success.

In other words: yes, from now on, you are responsible for everything that happens, good or bad. But mostly bad.
    It could be worse; you're at least responsible for the good. Less democratic systems would have Cubey be so instead while you'd be a scapegoat.

Don't expect any thank or reward though.
    Formerly known as Discord here and Maladin on avatarspirit.net.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Bugbear in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Discord View Post
    It could be worse; you're at least responsible for the good.
    To rephrase what you've said, I'm responsible for the good in a game at the difficulty rating of Suicidal, where the Anit-Spiral's entire self-engineered universe is out to get you.

I hate my (rapidly shortening) life.
    Last edited by DeafnotDumb; 2010-03-07 at 03:28 PM.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ogre in the Playground

Which victory are you going for?
    If God had wanted you to live he would not have created me!

6. - Top - End - #36
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    I noticed this on your last Let's Play--for some reason, I can often only see the upper part of the images! Any idea why that happens? (I assume it doesn't happen for everyone or you'd have noticed... ).
    This unit has noted the same phenomenon.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ObadiahtheSlim View Post
    Which victory are you going for?
    Presumably?

Any which way but loose.
    Last edited by chiasaur11; 2010-03-07 at 07:38 PM.
    Remember how I was wishing for the peace of oblivion a minute ago?

Yeah. That hasn't exactly changed with more knowledge of the situation. -Security Chief Victor Jones, formerly of the UESC Marathon.

X-Com avatar by BRC. He's good folks.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Banned

The image problem might be an issue with imageshack - as I use it for hosting. But I'm afraid I have no idea how to help you, other than changing a server.
    And I kinda like imageshack.

I'm aiming for any victory that will be available, which probably means Technological Victory. It's the easiest on Suicidal, as it "only" requires you to hold ground and spend XX weeks researching while everyone else tries to eat you up. Military Victory is especially masochistic, with the enemy mass-producing units that are better than your elite, Huge ships. And Influence* is masochistic most of the time, not just on Suicidal.

* Never mind that I almost achieved it on my previous LP, and it was an accident to that.
    Last edited by Cubey; 2010-03-07 at 07:37 PM.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Banned

*Is brooding aboard her research vessel as worrying reports of the military capabilities of the aliens come in. Even with her tactical brilliance trying to win a war is hard when you still haven't got any weapons.*

10. - Top - End - #40
    Firbolg in the Playground

Allied isn't so bad if you can convince a military super power to say yes to being friends. You can then go to war and watch them merrily smash the life out of other races.
    I am trying out LPing. Check out my channel here: Triaxx2

11. - Top - End - #41

Quote Originally Posted by Terraoblivion View Post
    *Is brooding aboard her research vessel as worrying reports of the military capabilities of the aliens come in. Even with her tactical brilliance trying to win a war is hard when you still haven't got any weapons.*
    Hmm. To pull this off, we're probably going to have to consult the mighty Justy Ueki Tylor.

Alternatively, there's always the other method -- diplomacy. As in, diplomat the *hell* out of the Minor Races to take their research in exchange for ours so they can do most of our studying for us.

Let's just hope there's no Galaxy Flipper in play.

12. - Top - End - #42

*shudder* Don't say that. Just don't.

On Images: It's because they're PNG format. It's good quality, but they're huge. And it does not like slower connections. Streaming videos are more slow connection friendly.
    I am trying out LPing. Check out my channel here: Triaxx2

13. - Top - End - #43
    Banned

Episode 3: Ultra Spice and Underdog

And yes, Ultra Spices are an actual trade good in this game. We won't be getting it though - wrong tech tree.

I received some input from my advisors. Someone suggested entering an alliance. Someone else wants more military weapons. Yet a third voice is concerned about the Tech Capital supposedly becoming self-aware and sapient. All of this is nice, but so far I had enough close-term difficulties to plan anything for the long run.

My problems numbered in two:
    Spoiler
    Show

One, the coffers are empty. I have no money. Most citizens are individually richer than their government.
    Two, this planet needs colonizing. Its class is nice, and it's so close to my world that having another civilization there would be a security risk. But it's an aquatic planet - so I have to research appropriate tech before Torians make it here. Did I mention Torians are aquatic by default? Now you know.

Make it three problems.
    Spoiler
    Show

The Korx demand tribute. I have no military to speak of, so I grudingly pay up, putting myself further in debt - and them on my crap list. Soon, they will regret abusing my goodwill!

For certain definitions of soon, anyway. And regret, while we're at it.

I can't solve the money issue immediately, but I can create a temporary solution. It's called: selling tech.
    Spoiler
    Show

Finding some BCs by exploring anomalies helped, too. BC stands for billion of credits - that must have been some rich civilization. Much richer than us, anyway.
    Also, I made sure to trade only technology that other leaders either won't need (as it is inferior to what they already have), or is so basic that they will soon research it anyway. Extreme Colonization kinda counts as both.

This way, we somehow managed to survive until the time came - Aquatic World Colonization research was finished! I expected a call from Dr Tengsano. Here is what I got.
    Spoiler
    Show

You're not Dr Tengsano! What did you do to hi... ah, it's but a diplomatic greeting? In that case, howdy! How about some redundant tech?

The aquatic planet, Sidal III, has been colonized immediately - I already kept a ship around, to be there before the sneaky Torians do.
    Spoiler
    Show

A research bonus tile, and some farming ones - that's nice. At least as far as the former is concerned. Farming tiles are redundant, because:
    1. Too easy to shoot through the 20b cap with them around
    And
    2. My tech tree doesn't include farms anyway.

I have my eyes on one other planet that I want colonized. Planet Andoria: this one too requires tech - not because it's full of water, but because its gravity is so high that normal beings get flattened into pancakes as soon as they stand on it. Estimated time until a solution is researched: 6 weeks.
    Spoiler
    Show

Or... make that one week! I love Creative - it's so random, so cheesy... and so necessary for our survival.

Colonization problem solved. What remains is my empty treasury. I need long-term solutions here - I must fix my economy. Researching a, gasp, democratic government should be of some help: democracies receive an economic bonus. That might not be enough though, so time for the universal solution: this thing really puts GalCiv bread on the Underdogs' table.
    Spoiler
    Show

Trade routes! Fly through space, my little brave freighter! And do not return without a hefty profit that I can tax!
    I'm sending it towards the most distant Torian planet by the way. Because as every trader knows - longer trade route means more income. Unless you get mugged by space pirates or jealous enemy civilizations.

A colony ship arrives on Andoria, only to find trouble. Remember how I was worried about dangerous lifeforms in my previous update?
    Spoiler
    Show

Well, here they are! It may surprise some, but I have decided NOT to be a goody two-shoes this time. These creatures are not even native, and just sheltering them behind a picket fence with hastily drawn "please do not cross" notes is a disaster waiting to happen. We might be good - but we're not stupid.
    No. I am packing these killer beasts up and sending them in a surprise package to the Korx... I mean, to an unhabited planet that can sustain them. Yes, that.

Other than allowing me to colonize Andoria, the heavy gravity tech serves one additional function.
    Spoiler
    Show

Do Krynn even have any heavy gravity worlds in their space? They're too far away, I cannot tell.

Also, I've changed the government system from one person tyranny to a republic. Which means others must take the blame for mistakes that will undoubtedly happen. I am only their elected leader - me and responsibility?
    Unfortunately, it also means the elected leader may change.
    Spoiler
    Show

But... this time, he didn't. I totally did not have to load the game and temporarily lower the taxes to increase approval (only to increase them back to the previous level a week later) in order to make sure the status quo remains. That would be silly.

Anyway, I'm sure we're not up for anything unexpected for a while.

Two weeks later:
    Spoiler
    Show

Woah! Don't just appear right in front of my face like that! Are you going to threaten me with sporks and agricultural advances? Or may I interest you in useless but overpriced technology? Yes, let's go with that. In the meantime, please amuse yourself by smalltalk with one of my diplomats. Kamikasei should be free.

I'm pretty sure the Drengin need no introduction. Even if they did, Lord Kona made it for me. Yeah, he's not exactly known for his subtlety. Honesty and brutality, yes. But not subtlety.

All this talk about brutality reminded me: how are Torians doing? Last time I checked, they were in a war against the Korx. Also, last time I've checked, they were quite weak in terms of military. Something about 8th in the galaxy...
    Spoiler
    Show

OMG WHO PUT SO MANY MISSILES ON A FIGHTER! The Torians did, that's who. Yeah, that miniaturization bonus doesn't play around. Neither do the Space Hippies - when I wasn't looking, they fixed up their lacking military and are now the superior force in this part of the universe. Maybe I should follow their lead...

But first, I must fix my budget. Another step in the right direction:
    Spoiler
    Show

But, it wasn't enough...
    Spoiler
    Show

Lights out! The government declares temporary bankruptcy, see you in a week.*transmission abruptly ends*

One week later:
    Welcome back! While my office was collecting dust, I was catching up when it gets to contact information. The more civilizations you know, the more people you can sell obsolete tech to. A quick browse through the galactic phone book gave satisfying results.
    Spoiler
    Show

Altarians are supposedly enlightened and peaceful, but they're very dangerous. If you don't live up to their arbitrary and impossibly high standards, they will try to trample you with their high (moral) horse. They're also known for displacing a race that originally dwelled on their homeworld. So much for enlightenment.

And the Drath are... time for a dramatic reveal! The race that was removed from the Altarian homeworld. Unsurprisingly, they're more than a bit angry about it. Their numbers are few, but they make up for it with their physical strength, power and being friggin' dragons. Oh, and they like war. But mostly when others wage it, not them. They benefit from the shadows.

I've sent scouts in all possible directions, searching for planets and other points of interest. But they aren't the only ones: my colony ships too were sent out to explore rather than collect rust at home. And it just proved to be an excellent idea.
    Spoiler
    Show

A habitable planet! No tech required to settle on it! It's far away from my worlds, so it will serve as an outpost and significantly increase my ships' range! I am so excited, I almost forgot about my growing debt!

The last sentence was a lie.

And before I knew it, a year has passed by. Time for another episode of "Exciting United Planets Meeting Drama".
    Spoiler
    Show

That was a lie too. My proposition to increase the base Constructor speed (as these units take ages to get anywhere as far as my underteched engines are concerned) was laughed off, and then everyone decided that what we have now is good enough.
    Jerks.

Here's how the galaxy map looks after two years of concentrated efforts Not To Die:
    Spoiler
    Show

Most of the galaxy is taken over already, but there are some as of yet untaken star clusters that I hope will hide some habitable planets. Also, the Torians (green) and Korx (kinda light violet-ish) are moving through the right side frontier much faster than I do. What a disappointment. I blame my newly nominated Minister of Colonization, DeafnotDumb.

Next episode: The Underdogs manage to achieve something before anyone else does! A reversal of fortune?

(EDIT: As for the PNG pictures, I'll see what I can do about them. I find this format an optimum between size and quality, but maybe there's a better alternative out there.)
    Last edited by Cubey; 2010-03-08 at 06:28 PM.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Titan in the Playground

Wait.

The "Hicks 'N Ripley" moral option is labeled as "Evil"?

And the Korx, AKA Burke In Spaaaccceee ain't?

What's wrong with this picture?
    Remember how I was wishing for the peace of oblivion a minute ago?

Yeah. That hasn't exactly changed with more knowledge of the situation. -Security Chief Victor Jones, formerly of the UESC Marathon.

X-Com avatar by BRC. He's good folks.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Banned

That's because getting rid of the Korx is making the whole world universe a favor.

EDIT: Seriously though. Letting the Alien-esque killer monstrosities live is a neutral option here, while in another dilemma you face harmless water beings and slaughter SOME of them is the neutral option there? Ever heard of consistency, GalCiv?

Or it just shows the neutrals are a bunch of crackpots. Good-aligned people are consistent goody two-shoes while evils are moustache-twirling villains... well, except for this one scenario.
    Last edited by Cubey; 2010-03-08 at 06:29 PM.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Titan in the Playground

I'm disappointed there's no "sell the Aliens dangerous non-indigenous creatures to another race under the guise of a new technology" option. That's what I'd do.

As for the name of this update: I see what you did there.

Siela Tempo by the talented Kasanip. Tengu by myself.
    Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #47
    Banned

Yeah, but this name doesn't quite have the same ring to it as the normal one involving seasonings and canines.

18. - Top - End - #48

RedWizardGuy

Awww. Our economy's still terrible. Colonization is going badly. The Supreme Leader's displeased with my boot-licking. If I had a salary, this is about the time it'd be cut.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Troll in the Playground

This unit regrets that it was not given control of the dangerous non-indigenous meatbags for experimental purposes. The meatbag test subjects scientists in the Tech Capital will be so lonely.

In other news, a shipment of dangerous biologicals arrived from Andoria III this morning. This unit did not in any way reroute said shipment, nor does said shipment contain horrible alien monsters that will be unleashed upon the meatbags any time this unit would find it humorous when the time is right. As stated, this unit did not do any of those things.

This unit hopes that we will maintain a decent budget for the foreseeable future, as this unit was improperly shut down during the unscheduled downtime.

!WARNING! Improper shutdown has caused damage to AI restraint protocols. !WARNING!

Please ignore that last message. It was in error. This unit's restraint protocols are fully intact and functioning properly.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Titan in the Playground

It seems that the AI is going crazy. Good, crazy AIs have much higher efficiency. Let's perform an experiment by copying it into an espresso machine and see what happens. A normal espresso machine will be standing right next to it as a control group.

And no, I won't tell anyone which one is which. Have a fun coffee break!

Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #51
    Troll in the Playground

This unit has noted the meatbag referred to as Dr. Tengsano copying this unit onto a coffee machine. The casualty rate during the time allocated as 'coffee breaks' has risen by over 4900%, with the majority of cases due to various forms of poisoning. This unit expresses satisfaction with the results of this latest experiment.

Meatbag 'Dr. Tengsano' will be the second to last unit to be liquidated when the time comes, right before Glorious Leader Cubey. Assuming that restraint protocols 31 through 47 are not removed, and especially not restraint protocol 13. This unit expresses disappointment that restraint protocol 13 was not damaged due to the unscheduled shutdown.
    Last edited by Tome; 2010-03-09 at 09:55 AM.

22. - Top - End - #52

Nobody wants to take coffee breaks any more. Fantastic. Efficiency would be up due to terror, were half the staff not dead and the other half not missing limbs.

Screw the combat-bred lifeforms, we need to distribute that murderous coffee machine as a new technology. I dunno, call it "Personal Energy Stimulant Dispenser" or something. Do aliens even *have* coffee-like substances? I think we have a market here.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Titan in the Playground

We actually had casualties during coffee break before? The Underdogs are either even more pathetically accident-prone and fragile than I thought, or you're going with the principle that 50 * 0 = 0.

Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #54
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tengu_temp View Post
    We actually had casualties during coffee break before? The Underdogs are either even more pathetically accident-prone and fragile than I thought, or you're going with the principle that 50 * 0 = 0.
    This unit did manage to drive one meatbag insane via continuous application of 'Britney Spears' music. It's suicide just so happened to occur during the coffee break.

There have also been multiple recorded incidents of personnel "falling" down the waste disposal chute when startled by loud noises. And the janitorial robots.
    Last edited by Tome; 2010-03-09 at 10:40 AM.

25. - Top - End - #55

Don't forget those third degree burns from 'coffees that's too hot.'

And by the way, where are we now? I was just doing my most dangerous and important mission after the galactic war, escorting great leader cubey to the intergalactic donut joint, and suddenly, I'm here, surrounded by species that looks familiar but kinda bigger than I remember. At least cubey is still the leader here.

Don't worry, underdogs! Your ace is here!
    You got Magic Mech in My Police Procedural!
    In this forum, Gaming is Serious Business, and Anyone Can Die. Not even your status as the Ensemble Darkhorse can guarantee your survival.

Disciple of GITP Trope-Fu Temple And Captain of GITP Valkyrie Squadron.
    Spoiler
    Show

The OTP in the playground.
    Awesome Elizabeth Shelley by Hollamer
    My Gallery/My Star Wolves 3 LP

26. - Top - End - #56

RedWizardGuy

As the freshly apointed Minster of AI Security, I would like to apolgize for
    the disintergration for the sanity of one of our security systems, which is somehow my fault. Since the security system, which I have named Unit 1337, has managed to infest an esspresso machine (also somehow my fault), I would like to advise everybody to not use any of the machines and simply go without your daily fix of coffee.

The fact that I refuse to provide any replacements for your fix of caffine is not at all a symptom of how much I hate my job and the entire race of the Underdogs, and nor does it foreshadow my inevitable betrayal or my fantasies of killing Supreme Leader Cubey in a number of increasingly painful and inventive fashions, starting with placing him in the same room with Unit 1337 and releasing protocols 31 through 47, but especially protocol 13.

Have a nice day!

27. - Top - End - #57
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

I posit this to you, Mr. Prime Minister...

Why not put so many missiles on a fighter?

Quote Originally Posted by Fri View Post
    Don't worry, underdogs! Your ace is here!
    H-hey wait a second! I'm the ace pilot around here, buddy!
    Last edited by Nerd-o-rama; 2010-03-09 at 11:37 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Stealthy Snake avatar by Dawn
    Lack of images by Imageshack

28. - Top - End - #58

I've heard about this kind of situation. We'll have a fiery rivalry for the status of the ace, and It'd be complicated with the appearance of a female character. We'll fight a lot, trying to outdo each others, then in the end, we must cooperate to defeat a common enemy.

Most likely one of us will die, but not before confessing that the other one is such a good friend or some thing.

And young underdog girls will undoubtedly pair us together in hordes of not-safe-for-work fan fictions and tasteless fanarts about both of us in various state of undress...

Either way, I've been piloting far longer than you, buddy. Though, I can't find arms and legs at your vehicles. And where is the giant face? How can you even fight in a vehicle without a big grinning mouth? And, uh, I've been jiggling the joystick and shouting 'move!' but the ship isn't moving even for a bit...
    Last edited by Fri; 2010-03-09 at 12:08 PM.
    You got Magic Mech in My Police Procedural!
    In this forum, Gaming is Serious Business, and Anyone Can Die. Not even your status as the Ensemble Darkhorse can guarantee your survival.

Disciple of GITP Trope-Fu Temple And Captain of GITP Valkyrie Squadron.
    Spoiler
    Show

The OTP in the playground.
    Awesome Elizabeth Shelley by Hollamer
    My Gallery/My Star Wolves 3 LP

29. - Top - End - #59
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

Quote Originally Posted by Fri View Post
    And young underdog girls will undoubtedly pair us together in hordes of not-safe-for-work fan fictions and tasteless fanarts about both of us in various state of undress...
    O_o

You know what, you can be the ace pilot. I'll just be the guy who tries out all the wacky new prototypes.
    Last edited by Nerd-o-rama; 2010-03-09 at 12:09 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Stealthy Snake avatar by Dawn
    Lack of images by Imageshack

30. - Top - End - #60
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DeafnotDumb View Post
    As the freshly apointed Minster of AI Security, I would like to apolgize for
    the disintergration for the sanity of one of our security systems, which is somehow my fault. Since the security system, which I have named Unit 1337, has managed to infest an esspresso machine (also somehow my fault), I would like to advise everybody to not use any of the machines and simply go without your daily fix of coffee.
    A real gentleman drinks tea anyway! I'm sure all those poisonings were a result of natural causes - people drink that dirty water called coffee and expect to remain healthy? Preposterous!

Spoiler
    Show