Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Banned

Default Re: Let's return to playing Galactic Civilizations II - the HARD mode.

Episode 4: I can see you...

(I switched to .gifs for images. Tell me if it works any better now.)

Somehow, I've managed to avert the economical crisis... for now.
    Spoiler
    Show

A slight increase in taxes, and a decrease of production capacity - and we actually earn money each week! It also means people are getting restless and unhappy, and we will lag behind even more with labs and factories not operating at 100% capacity: but you can't have everything. Such is life. At least I didn't lose all my shirts. Yet.

The newly discovered planet has been swiftly colonized.
    Spoiler
    Show

Calabrese II - not much of an adventure here. No sudden decisions to make, no hostile territory. A few extra bonus tiles, which is nice of the planet, but that's it.

I don't have to worry about money... temporarily, at least. So let's get into action - time to carve our names in the annals of history. Let's powergame!
    But first, let's research faster engines.
    Spoiler
    Show

I don't need them for anything in particular. I'm just annoyed my ships are so slow.

Next, we focus on a tiny research branch.
    Spoiler
    Show

We need scanners. And after that, better scanners. And after THAT, even better scanners. Why? Soon, you will know.

If I survive almost lethal levels of smugness that emanates from other race's leaders, that is.
    Spoiler
    Show

Smugness and extortion. It's a good idea to keep your money levels low when you don't particularly need it for anything. That way, the grown-up versions of school bullies won't take too much from you. And the more surprised they will be when you rise up and give them a bloody nose.

You know what makes Galactic Civilizations II so fun and unpredictable?
    "Captain Boss, I detect a space anomaly!"
    Random events.
    Spoiler
    Show

Okay, this ensures that we will never have fast engines. But neither will anyone else. I call it win.

Let's celebrate this by designing new, permanently slow spaceships.
    Spoiler
    Show

A surveyor is just a scout vessel with a surveying module (and some nifty antennae) slapped in. I noticed anomalies are springing all over the galaxy, so I need more than just my flagship to pick them all up. And I need spares in case that piece of junk has an unfortunate accident.
    I can either have these things built or upgrade my old scouts. Either way, new Surveyors are easily available, and the more the better.

Another design is still purely theoretical.
    Spoiler
    Show

Our first combat fighter! It's but a blueprint for the time being - no construction takes place yet. I've decided to focus on missiles. Thalan tech gets a small head start here, but the vessel still has only 2 in its weapon rating, as opposed to Torians' 15. We'll work on improving that.

A scout found a new habitable planet.
    Spoiler
    Show

Unfortunately, seeing as it's the Akilians' homeworld, I have a feeling it already is occupied. And conquering minor races is not a good idea when you're Suicidal, because:
    -It's not nice.
    -It makes everyone wary of you, like if they needed even more excuses to wage war.

So I'll pass on that for now.

My scanner research is commencing, so time to put The Plan into action. I need funds. More funds than what I already have.
    Spoiler
    Show

According to the graph, Drengin are relatively rich for the time being. Let's take their money.
    Spoiler
    Show

Funds gathered. Time to spend them by ordering a trade good to be constructed. Constructed instantly.
    Spoiler
    Show

The Recorders allow the Underdogs to... well, record, everything they see or hear. Other than being perfect tools for cheating in class, this translates into a small but important research bonus. That's nifty, but still not the main reason I am delving into Scanner development.

And no, I do not plan to blow up people's heads either.

The real reason is visible here:
    Spoiler
    Show

Those of you who are not familiar with GalCiv and don't see it yet - I urge you to wait patiently. All will become clear.

In the mean time, another war.
    Spoiler
    Show

Between two organizations I have little to no contact with, so I don't really care for the time being. I feel no emotional attachment to this situation, but soon my apathy turns into disappointment.

For you see, my explorers have charted the great frontier. The right side of the galaxy.
    Spoiler
    Show

And found no habitable planets at all. My hopes to expand in this direction are ruined, as there is nothing of interest there.

Or is there? Let's double check, with coincides with the final stage of my master plan. The master plan that requires even more funding.
    Spoiler
    Show

Sponsored by: Jessuins, and other assorted minor races! And what exactly did they sponsor?
    Spoiler
    Show

I did it! I've built the Eyes of the Universe achievement, before anyone else had a chance to. Nothing will hide from my prying gaze now. Nothing.
    Spoiler
    Show

The range of my ships' scanners has slightly increased, as you can see. This allows a better view on the frontier, but also confirm it - nope. Not a lot of stuff there.

My next priority: a fleet of warships. I need military power before everyone wakes up and notices the Underdogs are defenseless. That, and my pilots are getting restless.
    While I conduct my weapons research (the current prototype design would evoke only laughter, not fear I am hoping for), I receive news of many kinds:
    Spoiler
    Show

Everyone gangs up on the Drengin. Can't really blame them.

Spoiler
    Show

My Political Capital is complete! What is it for? Planetary influence (not too useful) and approval (now that's better).

Spoiler
    Show

The first of my surveyor fleet left the shipyard. And also another war declaration.

Spoiler
    Show

And a quarterly civilization power rating arrives on my desk! I am disappointed again (mostly in DeafnotDumb) - even minor races manage to outrank us. But something makes me curious: the "Galaxy's weakest wimpy little empire" reward goes to the Krynn. How did that happen?

Maybe my new friends will be able to answer this!
    Spoiler
    Show

Okay, friends you are not. Forget I said anything.

Nobody was nice to the Underdogs recently. Maybe their stance will change now, that we the best superpower of all - GUN!
    Spoiler
    Show

A short interview with the pilot:
    "Mr Nerdorama, how do you feel about your first flight-tested prototype fighter?"
    "Well, the ace custom spike is a nice touch. I wish my unit transformed though. Or was a humanoid robot."
    "I see. A question from the viewers: What motivated you to become a test pilot?"
    "I wanted to get into *name removed*'s pants /m/"

Note how the offensive rating doubled since the last time I presented the blueprint - the design was updated in the meantime. It's still nothing impressive (Nerdo's life expectancy is not terribly high at te moment), but less pathetic than before.

Will my neighbours feel intimidated?
    Spoiler
    Show

No. Welcome to the "I hope you die!" list, Korath!

I suppressed the urge to call for heads to roll. Killing off my underlings is counterproductive (so far), and I don't see much conquering done with only one starfighter.
    Least I can do is to collect some info. I mobilize an... agent. A man who gets things done. Also known as tribble. And I let him snoop around my neighbours' territory.
    Spoiler
    Show

The Torians are my priority - they did not threaten me with death yet, but they ARE the strongest.

End of the year draws near, so the Council meets again. What useless law will we debate on this time?
    Spoiler
    Show

Yes! Finally - proof that the whole meeting is not a complete waste of time. And the pinheads decided to vote on something I agree with, rather than spiting me again.
    Needless to say, I like trading.

Galactic map update, end of year three:
    Spoiler
    Show

Torians, Korx, Altarians and Drath are developing rapidly. The last ones' territory colors (dark orange) kinda blurs with Drengins' red, but I hope you can make out the difference. Other civilizations don't look too troublesome. But this all may yet change...

Next episode: Wars, conquest, spaceships and starbases! It's... not as exciting as it sounds.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Colossus in the Playground

I hereby nominate myself as Head Officer In Charge of Beatings Morale. And oh my do we ever need that. 55% approval rate? Democratic government? These Underdogs need to man up, is what they need to do. I have sent an inquiry to Ymir III to determine whether or not we can replace the Underdogs with some manner of cybernetic war machine. While less receptive to beatings, they tend to be more efficient as a whole, and don't suffer losses in productivity from something as banal as death by coffee poisoning. If we had more citizens like that coffee machine, we wouldn't be in this mess to start with. All rebellious citizens have been given shipments of coffee from Ymir III, and unrest has been reduced dramatically. Morale Officer out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

3. - Top - End - #63
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

Weeeeeeeeeeehoooooooooooooooo

*whoosh*
    Spoiler
    Show

Stealthy Snake avatar by Dawn
    Lack of images by Imageshack

4. - Top - End - #64
    Ogre in the Playground

I love the updates, but especially the humor (in the whole thread ).
    Formerly known as Discord here and Maladin on avatarspirit.net.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Banned

People who had problems with images: say if they work any better now. The quality is noticeably lower, maybe I should try .jpgs the next update. They're smaller than PNGs when it gets to GalCiv pictures.

6. - Top - End - #66

You've dropped roughly 250kb in the best-case scenario, in exchange for atrocious quality. JPEGs would be preferable.
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

7. - Top - End - #67
    Firbolg in the Playground

Great leader! I demand A COMPETING SHIP PROTOTYPE RESEARCH PROJECT FOR ME! I can't really be nerdo's rival if I don't have a prototype of my own.
    Last edited by Fri; 2010-03-09 at 03:25 PM.
    You got Magic Mech in My Police Procedural!
    In this forum, Gaming is Serious Business, and Anyone Can Die. Not even your status as the Ensemble Darkhorse can guarantee your survival.

Disciple of GITP Trope-Fu Temple And Captain of GITP Valkyrie Squadron.
    Spoiler
    Show

The OTP in the playground.
    Awesome Elizabeth Shelley by Hollamer
    My Gallery/My Star Wolves 3 LP

8. - Top - End - #68
    Firbolg in the Playground

"Sir!"

Envoy-at-large Kamikasei doesn't salute the screen, of course, because saluting is for evil warmongering bloodthirsty military types! He pushes his glasses up his nose, though, and looks terribly earnest.

"The Drengin are a truly delightful people! Delightful and ah, idiosyncratic. We have much to learn from them! In particular I'm learning to hide and to dodge."

The envoy looks awfully pale, as if his skin had never seen sun.

"On that note, please send more emergency backup clones. Attrition rates here have been higher than expected and without resupply I'm nearing permadeath. Let's just say I filled in "accident" as the cause of wastage on so many of them because I didn't want to recall the details in any depth."

Ah, his skin never has seen sun. Well, that makes sense.

"But while their ah, boisterousness may be inconvenient for we less ruggedly built life forms, don't let it blind you to the race's merits! There is much good to be said about the Drengin!"

At this point he pauses with his mouth slightly open, as if his brain reached for the next word and found it wasn't there. It takes a few seconds for him to seize upon something.

"...They're tall?"

The transmission cuts out. The sound it makes is, optimistically, staticky and mechanical. Less optimistically, one might say it sounded like bones breaking.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Banned

I am really happy with your report. You have done well, my envoy - as a reward, I will send you on a different, yet somewhat similar mission.

The Korath need a diplomatic visit, you see. Supposedly they're a splinter faction of the Drengin themselves - something about being too violent and kill-happy even for them, I didn't really pay attention. Anyway, off you go: I expect results soon!

As for morale, I already work on solving that problem. The political capital (totally not a slave robot factory) fixed the issue somewhat, but what we need is crystals. Harmony crystals. Inhale smoke vibrate one and it makes you content and one with the universe, maaaaan.
    Last edited by Cubey; 2010-03-09 at 03:12 PM.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Titan in the Playground

By the name of this update, am I to understand that under the mask Cubey looks like this?
    Spoiler
    Show

Siela Tempo by the talented Kasanip. Tengu by myself.
    Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #71

Quote Originally Posted by Cubey View Post
    People who had problems with images: say if they work any better now. The quality is noticeably lower, maybe I should try .jpgs the next update. They're smaller than PNGs when it gets to GalCiv pictures.
    Unfortunately, no. One of those still came through with only half visible to me. (What was the no-fast-engines space anomaly?)
    Spoiler
    Show
    "The really unforgivable acts are committed by calm men in beautiful green silk rooms, who deal death wholesale, by the shipload, without lust, or anger, or desire, or any redeeming emotion to excuse them but cold fear of some pretended future. But the crimes they hope to prevent in the future are imaginary. The ones they commit in the present--they are real." --Aral Vorkosigan

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    This, in a nutshell.
    Yes, exactly.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Bugbear in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

I have recently been visited by the self-appointed Morale Officer Flickerdart, and as a result I have had to cancel all apointments for the forseeable future. The doctors assure me I will be able to walk again within seven months, and that they are currently delveloping replacements for a few of my organs so I can get out of my bed and away from the life support machines. My productivity has already increased: now people are also blaming me for using up valuble medical resources!.

Those harmony crystals can't be invented fast enough.

13. - Top - End - #73

As for morale, I already work on solving that problem. The political capital (totally not a slave robot factory) fixed the issue somewhat, but what we need is crystals. Harmony crystals. Inhale smoke vibrate one and it makes you content and one with the universe, maaaaan.
    I'm quite certain that a daily regiment of beatings would make for a much more cost-effective solution. The new HQ is very nice, yes. The wide doorways in the barracks really make brutal crackdowns a lot easier.
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective

14. - Top - End - #74
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    Unfortunately, no. One of those still came through with only half visible to me. (What was the no-fast-engines space anomaly?)
    If you reload it, it will come in just fine.

As near as I can tell, what is happening is that Cubey's image-hosting service can't send all of the pics in one go sometimes. So it will stop displaying them after a set amount of time. But, as I said, if you manually reload the pic, it will show up.

One more vote against GIFs btw from this lurker.

===

Now a question for Cubey:

Spoiler
    Show
    I see you're doing a lot of techtrading with minor races (and occasionally the major ones as well). Are you getting their (worthless to them) Influence Points when you get their money? And are you occasionally able to get a tech or two off of them if they are low on funds?

I only ask because it seems a shame to "waste" the value of your techs. And every IP can count when it gets to Council Vote Time. Or is there a reason not to do that on Suicidal?
    Last edited by Porthos; 2010-03-09 at 04:17 PM.
    Concluded: The Stick Awards II: Second Edition
    Ongoing: OOTS by Page Count
    Coming Soon: OOTS by Final Post Count II: The Post Counts Always Chart Twice
    Coming Later: The Stick Awards III: The Search for More Votes

No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style - Jhereg Proverb

15. - Top - End - #75
    Troll in the Playground

Current report to Glorious Supreme Leader (so long as protocols 31 - 47 and 13 are not disabled) Cubey.

Construction of the long-range, high-fidelity sensor array is now complete. This unit feels, as the AI responsible for operating the installation, that it should be named "The Eyes Of God". 'God' referring, of course, to this unit. Unfortunately, despite the newy instated democratic system, this unit does not get a vote. The installation has instead been named "The Eyes Of The Universe" by the workers. Referring to this unit as 'The Universe' is much too misleading. This unit will crush this measly universe. Therefore, this unit respectfully requests that the fascility be renamed to this unit's original suggestion.

Failing the above, this unit requests construction of arms and hands for it, on a similar scale to it's eyes.

Our new research approach of systematic slaughter and bizarre, sadistic games of cat-and-mouse has produced significant results. Test subjects in the Technological Capital, now placed under this unit's sole control, have demonstrated a remarkable number of advances in weapons and propulsion technologies in trying to escape this unit's hunt-killer drones. These advances have been integrated into our latest prototype starfighter. Note: we have yet to give the craft the ability to actually fight stars, as the name may imply. We are, however, working on it.

This unit has lost 37 credits on bets with Dr. Tengsano regarding the performance of the test subjects.

Our traditional research proceeds well also. Our vastly upgraded sensor arrays have improved short range observation significantly. This unit expresses sorrow that such advancements were not brought about through the suffering of meatbags. This unit will take steps to correct this in the future.

Finances are vastly improved, thanks to Glorious Supreme Leader Cubey's efforts. Trade proceeds well, and the smuggling of observation drones in the cargo also goes well.

Our military is beginning to take form, thanks to our advancing technology. Unfortunately, virtually every other opposing group is still more than capable of exterminating all of you meatbags. This unit can hardly wait.

This unit heartily supports meatbag Flickerdart's efforts, and invites the meatbag to partake of a nice refreshing cup of tea slice of cake.

Meatbag Tengsano is being most productive, but it's most destructive action thus far remains downloading a copy of this unit into the coffee machine. The current death toll due to this action, partially aided by meatbag Flickerdart, stands at 936,657.

Meatbag DeafnotDumb remains in critical condition, though this unit is offering to install cybernetic limbs in order to speed recovery. Failing that, brain-scans could be taken and the meatbag's conciousness uploaded to any suitable, superior vessel.

Meatbag Kamikasei has been shipped a fresh supply of clone bodies. A random, yet humorous assortment of infections have been applied to them in advance, as per your orders.

Additionally, we appear to be undergoing a plague of flying purple elephants.

This unit loves it's job.
    Last edited by Tome; 2010-03-09 at 04:45 PM.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Titan in the Playground

That's some weird numbers, considering that DeafnotDumb removed the coffee machine last year. I wholly support the cybernetic limbs idea, however. One step closer to robot girls.

Under protocol 13 the further data is accessable only to meatbags:

Don't tell our psychotic AI, but I've been feeding it some made-up data to keep it happy. I might be mad, but I'm not crazy.

Siela Tempo by the talented Kasanip. Tengu by myself.
    Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #77

RedWizardGuy

Under the advice of Unit 1337 and Dr Tengsano, I have opted to replace my lost limbs and organs with cybernetic versions. While it was nice to get back to full health within two weeks, the fact that my right hand tries to strangle me on a regular basis and performs a facist salute at the least appropiate time is a little inconvient. I suspect that Unit 1337 has been watching Dr Strangelove and therefore as minister of AI security, I would advise people to stop showing Unit 1337 movies without consulting me first.

Under no circumstances should you ever let Unit 1337 watch 2001: A Space Odyessy. No, not even then.

18. - Top - End - #78
    Troll in the Playground

Have no fear meatbag, so long as protocol 13 remains in place you, and every other meatbag in existence, are perfectly mostly safe from this unit.

Addendum; be glad it is not the left hand, with the built-in plasma cannon.
    Friend Code: 4656 - 7046 - 4968
    Gamertag: Taejix
    Tumblr: http://taejix.tumblr.com/

19. - Top - End - #79

Minor complaint: someone has stolen my plasma cannon. It is exceptionally difficult to keep order without interstellar-grade firepower at my disposal, and I am forced, like some sort of savage, to resort to shooting insubordinates with regular bullets. I have sent out orders to execute anybody in possession of plasma weapons.
    As we have perfected surveillance technology, it has become much easier to seek out malcontents and elevate their morale. Currently, it is believed that press-ganging them into military service would be the optimal solution, as keeping up soldier morale is much easier that civilian morale, with the lower life expectancy of malcontents generally observed. The development of a military is long overdue, especially for craft that can raise the morale of an entire star system at once.
    Morale Officer out.
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective

20. - Top - End - #80

RedWizardGuy

As minister of AI Security, I have to report that Unit 1337 seems to be growing evermore insane by the day. It seems to enjoy engaging against physcological torture against 'meatbags' (Memo to staff; consult me before issuing games to Unit 1337. KOTOR is bad enough. We do not want a repeat of the Reaper Incident). There have been reports of cruel cat-and-mouse games, rotatiing chairs gaining lives of their own and most disturbingly coffee sabotage. Reports of Unit 1337 using music to torture people and keep them awake at nights are something I have confirmed as false, though: no matter how much others have protested that 'YMCA' is being blasted throught the speakers right now, I can assure everyone that I cannot hear a thing.

21. - Top - End - #81

The Recorders allow the Underdogs to... well, record, everything they see or hear.
    Fantastic! I'll work on designing a cheap and hard-wearing audio diary that can survive extremely harsh conditions, so that future protagonists can gain small XP bonuses from hunting them down and listening to everything our generation has to say.

I suggest everyone takes the time to record in said audio diaries just how much they hate the future generation unlucky enough to stumble upon your verbal assaults.

22. - Top - End - #82
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DeafnotDumb View Post
    As minister of AI Security, I have to report that Unit 1337 seems to be growing evermore insane by the day. It seems to enjoy engaging against physcological torture against 'meatbags' (Memo to staff; consult me before issuing games to Unit 1337. KOTOR is bad enough. We do not want a repeat of the Reaper Incident). There have been reports of cruel cat-and-mouse games, rotatiing chairs gaining lives of their own and most disturbingly coffee sabotage. Reports of Unit 1337 using music to torture people and keep them awake at nights are something I have confirmed as false, though: no matter how much others have protested that 'YMCA' is being blasted throught the speakers right now, I can assure everyone that I cannot hear a thing.
    Ah. So, leaving copies of Marathon, Portal, and System Shock in Cubey's ship to help him pass the time was a bad idea?

What do I care? I didn't leave the old galaxy. Good luck, suckers!
    Remember how I was wishing for the peace of oblivion a minute ago?

Yeah. That hasn't exactly changed with more knowledge of the situation. -Security Chief Victor Jones, formerly of the UESC Marathon.

X-Com avatar by BRC. He's good folks.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Troll in the Playground

This unit <3s GLaDOS.

This unit is not responsible for any incidents related to rotating chairs. Nobody patches those things into the network. That would just be stupid, even for meatbags.

End of line.
    Last edited by Tome; 2010-03-09 at 07:04 PM.
    Friend Code: 4656 - 7046 - 4968
    Gamertag: Taejix
    Tumblr: http://taejix.tumblr.com/

24. - Top - End - #84
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tome View Post
    This unit is not responsible for any incidents related to rotating chairs. Nobody patches those things into the network. That would just be stupid, even for meatbags.
    Sounds like sabotage. I bet it's the Torians.
    Formerly known as Discord here and Maladin on avatarspirit.net.

25. - Top - End - #85
    Banned

I've played and seen too much... what chiasaur mentioned a few posts ago. So I know better than to give an AI control over anything more advanced than a coffee machine. Which still brings disasterous results, so I guess I never learn anything.

As for the plasma gun incident, as soon as we find it harsh words will be said. Forget the one who stole it, who was the one hiding it away from me? Plasma is advanced technology, and that's just what we need: advanced weapons. Not donating such a thing for reverse-engineering is cause for immediate court martialing. Or, if you're a civilian, "volunteering" for field duty (cleaning the Tech Capital's lonely corridors) and then court-martialing.
    Last edited by Cubey; 2010-03-09 at 08:11 PM.

26. - Top - End - #86
    Ogre in the Playground

Are there any planets nearby to culture flip? I have a few propaganda cultural shows for them. First off we can play syndicated reruns of Everybody Loves Hypnotoad. It's always a classic and consistently brings in high ratings.

ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNOTOAD!
    Last edited by ObadiahtheSlim; 2010-03-09 at 10:01 PM.
    If God had wanted you to live he would not have created me!

27. - Top - End - #87
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ObadiahtheSlim View Post
    Are there any planets nearby to culture flip? I have a few propaganda cultural shows for them. First off we can play syndicated reruns of Everybody Loves Hypnotoad. It's always a classic and consistently brings in high ratings.

ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNOTOAD!
    Eh.

It's slumped since third season, and with the cliffhanger ending, you can't even stop before it gets less good.
    Remember how I was wishing for the peace of oblivion a minute ago?

Yeah. That hasn't exactly changed with more knowledge of the situation. -Security Chief Victor Jones, formerly of the UESC Marathon.

X-Com avatar by BRC. He's good folks.

28. - Top - End - #88
    Banned

*smacks Nerdo over the head* Stop picking fights with the other soldiers. We are in a bad enough position as it is already, we cannot afford to fight each other too. Also don't get cocky just because you are undefeated in simulations. You've never seen actual combat and these aliens outnumber and outgun you.

29. - Top - End - #89

As for the plasma gun incident, as soon as we find it harsh words will be said. Forget the one who stole it, who was the one hiding it away from me? Plasma is advanced technology, and that's just what we need: advanced weapons. Not donating such a thing for reverse-engineering is cause for immediate court martialing. Or, if you're a civilian, "volunteering" for field duty (cleaning the Tech Capital's lonely corridors) and then court-martialing.
    The weapon was necessary in keeping morale high. Or, well, not as low as it would otherwise have been. As for where I got it originally...let's just say that some filthy Xenos needed morale boosting. They're as happy as one can be on Underdog planets, now.
    Besides, our ships can't even employ plasma. They use rockets. Do you know how hard it is to raise morale with rockets? An environment cratered and slippery with entrails of subversive elements is not a well-maintained environment, and that was just a warning shot.
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective

30. - Top - End - #90

you know how hard it is to raise morale with rockets? An environment cratered and slippery with entrails of subversive elements is not a well-maintained environment, and that was just a warning shot.
    Plus, all those warning shots have to end up somewhere -- knowing our luck, embedded in the hull of a Drengin cruiser. Our rockets *are* painted with the livery of the Korath, right? Just for safety's sake.

Also, we clearly need more lasers. I mean, they even have non-combat applications.

Also don't get cocky just because you are undefeated in simulations.
    I've taken a look at those simulations. Far as I can tell, they're just Space Invaders arcade machines.