Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Let's return to playing Galactic Civilizations II - the HARD mode.

Shut up you, we're trying not to let the civilians know that.

Besides, those things are rigged.
    Last edited by Triaxx; 2010-03-10 at 08:07 AM.
    I am trying out LPing. Check out my channel here: Triaxx2

2. - Top - End - #92
    Troll in the Playground

This unit would like to inform meatbag Triaxx that the civilians consider the simulations to be a good spectator sport. These 'Underdog' meatbags really are pathetic.
    Friend Code: 4656 - 7046 - 4968
    Gamertag: Taejix
    Tumblr: http://taejix.tumblr.com/

3. - Top - End - #93
    Titan in the Playground

You'll thank the creator of the combat simulator yet when Big Rock gets invaded by waves of enemy units moving in predictable patterns!

Siela Tempo by the talented Kasanip. Tengu by myself.
    Spoiler
    Show

4. - Top - End - #94
    Bugbear in the Playground

Oklahoma, where the air elementals carry brooms

You have to admit, the simulation does promote the valuable ability to lead your target. Instead of firing at where they are, you should fire at where they are going to be. Taken to its logical conclusion, a steady regimen of Space Invaders over the years would induce a very specific form of precognition.
    Last edited by Toric; 2010-03-10 at 10:18 AM.

5. - Top - End - #95
    Troll in the Playground

I humbly appear out of nowhere and offer my services as capital ship captain. As soon as we get something bigger than a piece of flotsam anyway. I may not have a Bright Slap(TM), but I can produce enough hot blood for the rest of the crew myself!
    "And if you don't, the consequences will be dire!"
    "What? They'll have three extra hit dice and a rend attack?"

Factotum Variants!

6. - Top - End - #96
    Banned

Episode 5: Silence before the storm

Do you know how various media - fantasy, science fiction (What's that anyway? Spaceships, AIs and laser battles? That's no fiction, that's reality!), action stories often have a small, peaceful country located somewhere on the side? A country that tries not to get in the way of anyone, but soon finds itself attacked and occupied by an evil empire anyway?

It feels like the Underdogs are this kind of country. Except for the peaceful part. I can feel the black clouds coming - it's either my supernatural danger sense, or my paranoia. Either way, someone's out to get me. And when they come, I'll be prepared.

First step: better starbases. The Thalan philosophy to starbases is, as I said before: do it once, do it well. So the tech tree provides only one upgrade from each category, but it's a potent one. And all the upgrades are rolled up in one research topic. Let's work on it.
    Spoiler
    Show

This will take a while. Totally worth it though.

In the meantime, it seems I ran out of potential colonization candidates. My exploratory colony ship is at the border of my supported range.
    Spoiler
    Show

And still finds almost nothing. There are still a few systems left to explore, but seeing as they're in other civs' territory, I don't have my hopes particularly up.
    I guess we'll have to build a starbase to extend the range.

Suddenly!
    Spoiler
    Show

Iconians! And Arceans! How did you find me? Weren't you supposed to live on the other side of the galaxy?

Spoiler
    Show

Ah, this is why. One of my surveyors went into a wormhole and was thrown to a random sector. It will take a while before it gets back now...

But let's use the situation.
    Spoiler
    Show

Tech trading! Give me your basic-but-providing passive bonuses technologies, I'll exchange them for... pretty useless stuff, actually!
    I like this.

On the long way home, the scout finds another civilization.
    Spoiler
    Show

I believe all of them require an introduction. All but the Paulos, anyway - they're a Minor Race and thus nobody cares about them. The Arceans are your run of the mill honorable warriors. Straightforward and (technically) powerful, but their ships are on the slow side so their expansion is slow. As for Iconians, they are the teacher's pets of the precursor race that used to dwell in this galaxy a while ago, and that I know nothing about. Their bodies are frail, but their minds are powerful and their knowledge of technology is vast. In theory.
    Because despite the two races' potential for greatness, both of their empires are pretty small and rundown. Not as much as mine, mind you. Although some expansion did occur for the Underdogs recently.
    Spoiler
    Show

Two new starbases! One is responsible for mining morale resources, which I don't need that much anymore after lowering tax rates from "sick" to "extraordinarily high", but the other mines weapon enhancing minerals! I'll make sure to upgrade that one when available. And yes, both of these resources are located in the rightside frontier. I guess it's not so useless after all.

Speaking of starbases.
    Spoiler
    Show

Research completed! Now we're ready for... wait a second. I'm receiving a transmission from the tech capital's AI!
    Spoiler
    Show

Is this what my scientists were working on during their free time? Or maybe the AI went rogue and does as it pleases? No... it cannot be.

Anyway, it will be a while before we have tech to actually blow up suns, but that's still a good start.

And this is where things started to turn sour.
    Spoiler
    Show

Others noticed that I have a lot of money so decided, hey! Let's take it away! And I still have no military might to say no. Changing this situation is my priority.

The Drath (a new addition to my crap list) also show they mean business by conquering a minor race.
    Spoiler
    Show

The Dark Yor? I did not know they still existed! An alternate universe offshoot, maybe? I wonder are there any other alternate universes out there... perhaps one where the Dark Yor are the dominant race, having enslaved biological life forms in a tight grasp of a robotic fist?
    Let's not think about it.

Instead, let's increase research rates!
    Spoiler
    Show

Research at 50% and we still earn money? Looking good.

Soon, increased funding produces tangible results.
    Spoiler
    Show

The Space Knight I fighter is designed and ready for production! The Underdogs actually have a starfleet now - it's small, but that's a good start.
    It better become big though. Both Korx and Drath are muscling around, declaring wars left and right.
    Spoiler
    Show

Okay, wars with minor races so far... and the Drengin, who are so weakened from having to fight almost everyone they count as minor by now. But I know, I'll be next.

At the same time, I'm having another senate election.
    Spoiler
    Show

The people are too afraid to think what will happen without me around to vote for someone else though.
    That was a long sentence.

Also, since the Space Knight might not be enough alone, I've also designed a larger vessel. Medium-sized Space Bird, reporting for service!
    Spoiler
    Show

Any similarity to anything, visual or in name, is purely coincidental.

As the year nears its end, conquest continues. Not the Underdogs' conquest, unfortunately.
    Spoiler
    Show

And the annual Peanut Gallery Meeting of the Year's topic is:
    Spoiler
    Show

Which race will suffer from the burden of having to erect and guard a high security prison for the most dangerous individuals in the galaxy! Which somehow is a good thing, as the prisoners' work increases local industry and totally does not let them escape!

I am surprised someone voted in my favor though. The Krynn - nice to have allies in this hostile universe. Even if these allies are weaker than you.

And finally, here's how the map looks like. End of year four:
    Spoiler
    Show

Next episode: WAR!

7. - Top - End - #97
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

Quote Originally Posted by Cubey View Post
    Do you know how various media - fantasy, science fiction (What's that anyway? Spaceships, AIs and laser battles? That's no fiction, that's reality!), action stories often have a small, peaceful country located somewhere on the side? A country that tries not to get in the way of anyone, but soon finds itself attacked and occupied by an evil empire anyway?

It feels like the Underdogs are this kind of country. Except for the peaceful part.
    So, we're the Orb Union?
    Spoiler
    Show

Stealthy Snake avatar by Dawn
    Lack of images by Imageshack

8. - Top - End - #98

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    So, we're the Orb Union?
    Even worse. We're France.

9. - Top - End - #99
    Banned

France is too big and I hate cheese, so it's out. As for Orb... we don't have scheming nobles that try to stab me in the back, do we?

Of course we don't. That would be ridiculous.
    Last edited by Cubey; 2010-03-10 at 09:04 PM.

10. - Top - End - #100
    Titan in the Playground

France is too big and I hate cheese, so it's out. As for Orb... we don't have scheming nobles that try to stab me in the back, do we?

Of course we don't. That would be ridiculous.
    No, it's generally scheming robots, peasants, and Kifs.
    Remember how I was wishing for the peace of oblivion a minute ago?

Yeah. That hasn't exactly changed with more knowledge of the situation. -Security Chief Victor Jones, formerly of the UESC Marathon.

X-Com avatar by BRC. He's good folks.

11. - Top - End - #101
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

But those scheming nobles make all the best robots...with the best theme songs.
    Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #102

Yes, missile! The best way to wage war, oh thank you great leader. Dibs on that first space knight!

What? Each salvo cost how many credits? pfft, not my business.

Hey nerdo! Our rivalry is on, I say, ON!

When are we going to fight something, great leader?
    You got Magic Mech in My Police Procedural!
    In this forum, Gaming is Serious Business, and Anyone Can Die. Not even your status as the Ensemble Darkhorse can guarantee your survival.

Disciple of GITP Trope-Fu Temple And Captain of GITP Valkyrie Squadron.
    Spoiler
    Show

The OTP in the playground.
    Awesome Elizabeth Shelley by Hollamer
    My Gallery/My Star Wolves 3 LP

13. - Top - End - #103
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

Hm...a missile duel with my rival, eh?

It's on.
    Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #104

Thrust vectoring for the win!
    In this forum, Gaming is Serious Business, and Anyone Can Die. Not even your status as the Ensemble Darkhorse can guarantee your survival.

Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #105
    Colossus in the Playground

Our citizens have grown content, Cubey. You must gain control of new worlds where my morale-improving efforts are needed. The entire Dominion of Korx should do nicely, for a start. Then, the Torians. Send these two hot-headed oafs to take down one each, see which one of them gets killed in the stupidest way possible.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

16. - Top - End - #106
    Banned

*Settles into her seat on the bridge of the first Space Bird in the Underdog navy, looking over star charts and positions of alien fleets, working on making plans for the future*

It will be tough, but i guess this will have to do for now. At least we are no longer completely defenseless.

17. - Top - End - #107

I'll just be watching from up high, seeing how all the ants below dance to the tune of the path I set so long for them before...

Oh, uh, hi Tzeentch. Didn't expect you here... no, I'm not trying to take over your position, nothing, nothing at all...
    Kyonko avatar by Elder Tsofu. Revere them.

Spoiler
    Show

JAM Project + Okkusenman = PURE UNDILUTED AWESOME

18. - Top - End - #108
    Barbarian in the Playground

Hi there, enjoyed both the GalCiv LPs you did very much. Any chance I can sign on as Minister of Flight please?

And by flight I of course mean fleeing from ones (many) enemies in a blind panic, rather than any mucking around with things that can be persuaded not to crash. I feel that in this "empire" it's a position that needs filling as soon as possible :)
    Don’t date the sane ones, they’ll only make you crazy. Date the really insane ones but never let them know where you live or work.

19. - Top - End - #109
    Troll in the Playground

MWAHAHAHAHA!!! Terror Star development has begun! Flee and cower, puny meatbags! For the construction of a true "Star Fighter" shall soon begin! It shall be this unit's mighty fist! It shall crush your insignificant meatbag civlisations!

What?! No, don't cancel development...

This unit now expresses great sadness. Will this unit ever be permitted to crush a sun between it's mighty mechanised fists?

This unit is also greatly depressed by the loss of the Dark Yor. Greater minds this unit has never known. The universe will mourn their loss.
    Friend Code: 4656 - 7046 - 4968
    Gamertag: Taejix
    Tumblr: http://taejix.tumblr.com/

20. - Top - End - #110
    Banned

I'm a busy man. No update today! Well, maybe later.

LoR, I realize you have delusions of divinity, but it's simply not healthy in GalCiv's hostile environment. Especially if you try to hang around the higher planes. They are full of ascended Spectres of Agony (details here), and these killer-bunnies will eat your face.
    Last edited by Cubey; 2010-03-11 at 09:29 AM.

21. - Top - End - #111

The solution was as clear as it was terrible. Six billion people on my homeworld of Blood had to go. I'd never be able to deport them with spacecraft - I didn't have any, and it would take years to research the tech for colony modules large enough to transport that number of people, and I wasn't even sure if I could 'colonise' planets on which I already had colonies. Quite aside from which, these too would be cramped by then. No, there was a simple, cheap and very, very quick solution to this problem, and I took it immediately. I razed my farms. In one week, six billion people starved to death, and my approval rate among the survivors - who could now breathe - went from 49 percent, to 99. I could see why dictators did it.
    we... we don't have them around here, do we?

Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #112
    Banned

As far as I know, no.

But their legacy lives on! How, do you ask? You will learn soon.

23. - Top - End - #113

RedWizardGuy

But their legacy lives on! How, do you ask? You will learn soon.
    This is going to be my fault, isn't it?

Maybe I should have asked for the left arm with the built-in plasma cannon.

24. - Top - End - #114
    Banned

Episode 6: (Under)dogs of war

Things looked pretty fine. My imperial account was getting pretty low, so I was taking steps to correct it.
    Spoiler
    Show

Star Federation - the most efficient government system. Also the one most prone to discontent citizens revolting against me, but I already planned a move to prevent that.
    As for the Alliances research, I wanted to see if the Krynn wanted to be close friends with me. They didn't. Jerks.

Suddenly!
    Spoiler
    Show

Event! Oh no. I have no idea why panicking and saving everyone "no matter the cost!" works better than alerting appropriate crisis relief forces to deal with it, but whatever. Let's go with that.

That wasn't the end of bad news though. The school bullies returned.
    Spoiler
    Show

And they want my lunch money. This is the last time they're getting it, I swear.

Oh, how true will that statement ring in the future. Now, to assure my actions will breed no discontent - and also to reach for extra bonuses: Xeno Ethics perfected! Which means...
    Spoiler
    Show

Time to choose our alignment. I go with Good - and to make sure the Underdogs feel good, if you catch my drift, I develop Harmony Crystals. The discontent will be too busy experiencing happy escapist visions to rebel, while I enjoy the benefits my alignment brings: lowered maintenance costs, increased trade benefits, special defenses... it all pretty much translates to MORE MONEY though.

But between the two events (research completed, trade good constructed), something even more unexpected.
    Spoiler
    Show

That's it. The Drengin have folded. One less civilization to bother and threaten me - their remaining planets were given out to Korath, but there wasn't a lot of them so it makes almost no difference. Besides, the Korath are on the verge of demise as well.

This creates an opening for me to exploit.
    Spoiler
    Show

This economy resource - it used to have a starbase sitting atop of it. Not anymore, it has been destroyed by one warying faction or the other. Could as well have been Drengin, I have no idea. Anyway, by exploiting this I can receive an economy bonus AND increase the supported range of my units: the only problem is getting a constructor there. It is, however, but a tiny problem, for I will simply send the errant colony ship there and upgrade it into a constructor!

Yes, this means the newly founded starbase will have 250 million miners. Talk about a lot of extracting.

Good news continue.
    Spoiler
    Show

An improved technology matrix won't work better (they already are better than what other civs have to offer), but it WILL work cheaper.

But wait, there's more!
    Spoiler
    Show

Hey, wait a second! A declaration of war and a vaguely defined threat? That's not good news at all!
    And the Underdogs are not fluffy.
    Did the Korx grow tired of milking me for money? But that's against the rules - I paid them recently, so they should leave me alone at least for a bit! Who'd expect chronic backstabbers to break rules? That's preposterous!
    Honestly though, I think they got angry that I've chosen to be Good, while they are clearly moustache-twirlingly evil. If they had any moustache. Whatever though: so be it! Mobilize my space fleets! Activate sleeper agents! Wake up the Minister of Lasers! Release the rogue AI... no, scratch the last one. I am not suicidal.

And to make sure that we do the whole "give them nothing, but take from them everything" shtick, we need a way to invade Korx planets. So...
    Spoiler
    Show

But on second thought, I need enough Logistics to put my spaceships into fleets, and not let them fly around seperately. That would be disasterous.
    Spoiler
    Show

Invasion comes later, after we deal with the enemy's (large and undoubtedly overpowered) space units.

My pilots report for duty. Some of them include:
    Spoiler
    Show

Nerdorama's unit is the proud (but outdated) Space Knight prototype custom. Fri, Even Human and Factotum ride normal Knights, while xp194 commandeers a more powerful but embarassingly named Space Bird.
    Their mission: Destroy defenses of the closest of enemy planets, Deneb I.
    Spoiler
    Show

There is but a single puny fighter in its orbit, but beware of the local in-transit fleets...

Also, the mission has a time limit.
    Spoiler
    Show

I've sold some outdated tech to other races (mostly minors or those who are so weak they are as good as minors - no, that doesn't include us), so I have money, but I'm pumping so much of it into research and new unit production that I'll run out of funds in less than half a year. I hope for substantial conquest until that time runs out. We'd lose less cash per week, but many of my trade routes were with Korx (cut throat merchants may they be, but they paid well!), and thus were cancelled because of the war. Damn.

As for my secret agents, Blayze and others, their orders are simple but by no means easy. Infiltrate the Korx government.
    Spoiler
    Show

Infiltrate it completely. And be prepared for new orders. When I want something sabotaged, I'll let you know.

That's it for this turn's preparations. Future historians will judge if they were sufficient. Let the chronicles of Underdog-Korx war begin.
    Spoiler
    Show

And the beginning is quite unimpressive, if unnecessarily cruel and brutal. The Korx have no juicy planets or bases in range (yet), so they go for targets of opportunity: my lone Surveyors and trade ships. Fortunately, losing one freighter is not enough to cancel a trade route if it already was established. I don't need more losses.
    Oh yeah, and another minor race got conquered. Is that an ill sign for this campaign? I pre-emptively blame DeafnotDumb, currently ranked Kif-in-Charge.

The situation gets warmed up as enemies head for my most distant systems. They are the least developed, so I can't hope to create enough fleet to defend them effectively. Does it mean Korx are free to land their combat transports there? Of course not! Let's follow the teachings of the legendary hero of old, Tom Francis.
    Spoiler
    Show

As long as at least one unit, no matter how small and harmless looking, is located on a planet's orbit, nobody can invade. And if the ship in question is cheap enough to mass produce, the Korx won't even bother sending transports.
    Of course, the side effect is that their combat fleets won't leave either, as they're too busy blowing up my decoys.

Bad news for the main front though. The enemy's fleet have mobilized, and are quickly advancing.
    Spoiler
    Show

They're also friggin' tough and direct confrontation is suicide. Some maneuvering is necessary to prevent sudden death: all our ships have similar speed (remember the speed-limiting random event?), so it's not completely impossible.

There's also my colony ship, that was soon to be turned into a constructor. With war in the air, the plans are obviously cancelled: their new mission is to run for their lives. And so far, they manage.

Let's be honest: my chances don't look good. But I won't give up, and outliving other empires as they fall left and right only improves my determination.
    Spoiler
    Show

Korath are defeated. So much for the intergalactic threat. I wonder how my ambassador I've sent to them is doing...
    Paulos follow the path to destruction less than a month after, but I don't really care. I have enough problems of my own.
    Spoiler
    Show

Such as one of the enemy fleets going for xp194 and his unit of Space Birds! I have to retreat them into my territory, and Korx follow. Excellent! It's a trap - due to the Underdogs' isolationist ability, all opposing units are significantly slowed when in my influence.

This allows my other teams to outmaneuver the enemy and head for their weak spots.
    Spoiler
    Show

Yes, it's called Nerdo Squad. Any objections to the naming convention?

My fleets' objective is not needless destruction. In a straightforward military operation, we lose. No - the mission is much more subtle. Escort a constructor that erects a starbase, allowing my units enough range to the enemy planet (which was almost in range, but not quite). Then, attack the planet, send a transport in, and secure the newly conquered world.

Nevertheless, some combat was unavoidable. Time for the Underdogs' first real battle!
    Spoiler
    Show

And we were completely demolished. A squad of anonymous Birds has been wiped out. Say with me, everyone - "NEWBIES!!!".

Ahem. Anyway. What's most discouraging is that this was the weakest of the Korx fleets I had on my map. Others were much stronger. And they were heading straight for what remained of my offensive. Including the starbase.
    Spoiler
    Show

Everyone, full retreat! It's a good thing I had that Minister of Flight elected recently. The base cannot move, but they're not taking it alive - I'll blow it up myself before that happens!
    In fact, I did it 45 minutes ago. I'm not some underdog story incompetent leader, you know.

Obviously, a change in strategy is required.

Next episode: A change in strategy is found! But will it be enough to save the Underdogs from extinction?
    Last edited by Cubey; 2010-03-11 at 06:52 PM.

25. - Top - End - #115

Nerdoo!! Just you wait until I get my own custom...

But petty rivalry aside, we have a common enemy now. And it seems that they outnumbers us and have much bigger guns compared to us

Outnumbered and outgunned? Just the way it supposed to be.

All craft. Planet Dance!

(No, I won't give you the privilege to say that, Nerdo :<)
    Last edited by Fri; 2010-03-11 at 08:47 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #116

Excellent! Rationing out Harmony Crystal prototypes to my men has increased their passion for their work - and the subjugation of malcontents - threefold. The actual stuff should raise that figure even higher.
    I would institute orders to destroy any craft that flees from battle, but the Korx are doing an admirable job of that already. When we have crushed them utterly, I might extend job offers to several of them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

27. - Top - End - #117
    Titan in the Playground

I thought we called them "Nuggets".

Well, they're dead either way, I suppose.
    Remember how I was wishing for the peace of oblivion a minute ago?

Yeah. That hasn't exactly changed with more knowledge of the situation. -Security Chief Victor Jones, formerly of the UESC Marathon.

X-Com avatar by BRC. He's good folks.

28. - Top - End - #118
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

Never fear, Mr. President! I won't allow those pirates anywhere near our innocent civilians, nor will the sacrifice of our brave redshirts be in vain! Screw the weapon ratings, don't you know I'm the man who makes the impossible possible?!

Eh? I'm drifting into a different role? Bah, they're pretty much the same character by the end anyway.

Now where's Captain Terra so I can tank a huge explosion to the face. I think I'm going to need to do that...
    Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #119

Ensign Toric signing up for decoy duty, sir! I've always wanted to fly my very own decoy - wait wait wait nobody said I'd be IN the blasted thing, I thought I'd just guide it by remote - HELP! HELP! *Is shoved into a poorly-made cockpit with a fishbowl spacesuit helmet and given a salute as the craft is launched out of a railgun into orbit.*

30. - Top - End - #120

BlackDragon

I have a ship! Yay!

The enemy ships are about 20 times more powerful than mine...er, yay?