Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Let's return to playing Galactic Civilizations II - the HARD mode.

*runs in, screams wildly, swinging an axe at a group of drones*

I'm here! Give me any job, just get me away from these thing!

In other, unrelated news, I got this game from a collegue. It's a lot of fun, even though I keep losing. Oh, and designing horrible looking ships.
    "In dark times, should the stars also go out?"

2. - Top - End - #152
    Troll in the Playground

You seem tense citizen eldan, let me help you relax with somme happyfunholoTV

-This unitis programmed for somme reason to remind you that it is laser proof and only death or total victory will trigger its desactivation-

I love you
    You shot me
    we're a happy family...

((If we don't win the war with that ...)
    Last edited by smuchmuch; 2010-03-12 at 08:22 PM.
    I'm sig'ing in the rain, just sig'ing in the rain....

Somme old avatars, by me
    Spoiler
    Show

-

3. - Top - End - #153
    Titan in the Playground

Nice picture. Should work well on propaganda posters and make the approval rate on Ymir III go up. At worst it will stay the same - it can't go any lower, can it?

Siela Tempo by the talented Kasanip. Tengu by myself.
    Spoiler
    Show

4. - Top - End - #154
    Banned

I like this picture, maybe I'll try putting it in my signature, along with a link to this thread.

Also, unlike what Tengu said, Korx do have eyes. It's these black holes that look like nostrils. They're actually eyes.
    Okay, I didn't buy it either.

5. - Top - End - #155
    Banned

*Greets Nerdo as he has been picked up, her worried expression quickly changes to disapproval.*

You have to be more careful out there. You are no use to anybody dead.

6. - Top - End - #156
    Troll in the Playground

Commandant Mercenary Pen, underdog Marine Corps reporting for duty, sir. *salutes* Can lead men across terrestrial battlefields as required, but I'm also willing to assist the spies if it becomes necessary... I can confidently say that I have sufficient expertise with dirty tricks to be of use in both fields. Having reprogrammed the 1337 AI unit with a prototype French Maid personality algorithm- managing to fight off over a million of its drones in the process, and sewn a whoopee cushion into the inside of the seat of Tengsano's favourite chair without leaving any evidence.

Anyhow, good to be here sir.
    Part of YugiohITP

Warning: This post may contain traces of nuts, madness and/or sarcasm, you have been warned.

7. - Top - End - #157
    Banned

Episode 8: We need two bratty kids, and a space monkey...

Yes, a new update so soon after the last one's release. I'm on a roll!

I receive a report from one of my most talented spies. We've lost contact a few weeks ago, and it was presumed lost.
    It turns out, the spy was nominated Korx trade minister.
    Spoiler
    Show

Their government is infiltrated so heavily, I could technically order them to make peace on me this very second. Technically, as only the Korx leader (known as The Man) has any influence on important decisions, and the rest are there only to advise him. A government of puppet ministers? Who would ever do such a thing!

Also, my beautiful frontier starbases are gone.
    Spoiler
    Show

Seeing as there's a Korx fleet near one of the now-unoccupied resources, I'm sure you can figure out the reason.

My vengeance will be swift and vicious, for a first Large vessel leaves an Underdog shipyard!
    Spoiler
    Show

Its captain - Hunter Noventa. I was tempted to name the class "Hunter", so we'd have Noventa's Hunter. But a Space Ghost Phantom will do, too.
    This will be my key to victory, but one key is not enough - in a direct confrontation with a Korx fleet, it will instantly turn into space dust.

But a direct confrontation will not happen for a while. Enemy ships are retreating. The reason? Both Drath and Torians finally made their move, and Korx need to defend their planets against a two-front assault.
    Spoiler
    Show

Also, some of them are in pursuit of my freighter. Orders and mission be damned, their urge to be jerks and strike at unarmed civilian targets is too strong!
    Good for them. Good for me, too. Time for a counterstrike.

I gather what remains of my fleet.
    Spoiler
    Show

That is, one Phantom and about five Space Knights, that survived by sheer miracle and my Minister of Flight's concentrated efforts. There's not a lot of it, but more units are in production (thanks to re-establishing trade, we actually earn money!), and the mission I have in mind for my flotilla is easy enough for one capital ship and five tiny fighters.

And that mission is - liberate the Sidal system.
    Spoiler
    Show

A remainder: Sidal is the star that had two life-sustaining planets around it, one of them covered completely in water. No, it was not conquered by the enemy. My Decoy barrier was too strong for that. But because of the decoys, a Korx fleet is still there - and it must disappear. It is also pretty weak, and I'm sure Noventa can crush it.

Speaking of being crushed...
    Spoiler
    Show

Iconians are defeated (by whom? no idea) and surrender. I guess turning evil didn't work out so well for them.

The Altarian leader calls me. She wants to tell me something.
    Spoiler
    Show

I hate you.
    Is there anyone in the galaxy not on my list yet? If so, I advise them to think whether it's worth getting there - both Drengin and Korath extorted my money, and now they're gone. Do you want to end like them?

My research on breaking the dimensions for fun and profit continues. And then it encounters a sheer cliff.
    Spoiler
    Show

How many weeks? Are the AI or Tengsano playing jokes again?
    Well, let's get this over with. I am hoping for a sudden attack of Creativity. But first - some logistics development. I want enough logistic points to create a fleet of three Phantoms.

Not that I have as many as three of them. Or do I?
    Spoiler
    Show

Yes I do! Even Human, factotum and xp194 return - or at least people who pretend to be them. As long as they fulfill the mission, I am happy.
    That puts me on four Phantoms. Or six, if you count a squad I've just sent towards Deneb.

Spoiler
    Show

It's Fri and Nerdorama! I will not let Death take them yet, as they have to repay for letting their expensive war machines get shot down. The Deneb system is strangely empty - Torians took care of defenders, and there's not even a single unit around the planet's orbit.

Except for my Phantoms. And a transport.
    Spoiler
    Show

Incoming message from Mercenary Pen:
    "We did it! Korx were some tough bastards, but we did it! So... can I get a raise?"
    I wonder who's the ruthless merchant here. I lean back and sigh.

And then I am overcome with joy. Take that - a net win for the Underdogs! How many of my planets did you conquer so far, Melty-faces? Huh, huh? Who is trying to bully people for money now?

Childish taunting aside, I commenced a daring attack in the frontier legion. The Drath ships seem to concentrate there, which means all nearby Korx units suffer from a terminal case of Getting Shot At. So, I send a transport from a local system, completely without guards. A recently plundered land warfare technology will make it easier to invade - but will my unit actually make it to a planet before someone shoots it down?
    Spoiler
    Show

The transport made it. Once again, the land battle created massive casualties for both sides - but we emerged victorious!

Two Korx systems have fallen.
    Spoiler
    Show

And I was facing destruction just a few months ago. The tables have turned - is it a miracle? Hell, no!

It's strategy, everyone. Strategy and political maneuvering.

Another Phantom is constructed. Since the Underdogs have worthy capital ships now, it means I can finally make her the captain - and stave off her wrath. Hopefully. Maybe.
    Spoiler
    Show

Or she might just get angry that so many other people got a Large unit to command before her. Let's focus this anger in a productive manner, shall we? There are Korx to fight!

My fleet continues to move into enemy influence, a transport following after.
    Spoiler
    Show

Like I mentioned, there's no resistance due to Torians having killed everything. Except for the planets, of course - in fact, I think the Torian civilization actually lost a colony or two to the Korx. That means only one thing: More planets for me to conquer!

But first, I must secure the territory. There are no big Korx fleets in range, so the resistance is token.
    Spoiler
    Show

Well, my Phantoms are good at destroying transports or outdated fighters, that at least.

And so the year ends!
    Spoiler
    Show

I'm too busy conquering the Korx (hah, never thought I'd say that in this galaxy) to pay attention to pointless gatherings.
    I'm not showing a galaxy map though. At least - not yet.

Noventa meets non-token resistance, and his unit is heavily damaged.
    Spoiler
    Show

That's what happens when you fight fighters that have over a 100 in their railgun arms rating. Fighters.
    At least the Phantom is still here. This is proof of my design's superiority!
    I still say it would have worked better as a giant robot though.

What I want to show you (you being all the ministers and assistants who pop up now that we have a chance to survive - in which hole were you hiding in when I really needed you, huh?) though, is elsewhere. Not on the rightside frontier of the galaxy, but near the center. A planet that a Minor Race used to live on. And then they were conquered by the Korx.
    Spoiler
    Show

And then, the Korx were conquered by the Underdogs. My losses weren't even that horrifying this time, only about 50%.
    And now we have a new capital. Sure, it was a Minor Race capital, but a capital nevertheless - its performance is much better than a standard colony's. Well, as long as you don't build any population increasing improvements...

Anyway! NOW we can take a look at the galaxy map.
    Spoiler
    Show

Do you see a new patch of light gray where violet used to be? We are expanding. Finally, the Underdogs are moving to new worlds (after beating up previous inhabitants). This is glorious.

But how much time will pass until fortune reverses itself again, and the Korx launch a counter-counterattack?

Next episode: A big decision! That I want your input on!
    Last edited by Cubey; 2010-03-13 at 04:20 AM.

8. - Top - End - #158

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Cubey View Post
    Yes I do! Even Human, factotum and xp194 return - or at least people who pretend to be them. As long as they fulfill the mission, I am happy.
    Did I miss the update where I died first time around?

9. - Top - End - #159
    Banned

You were part of the Nerdo Squad that was wiped out during my colonies' defense. It consisted of Nerdorama, Fri, you, Even Human and an unnamed mook.

10. - Top - End - #160
    Banned

*Rather than wasting any time settling into the commander's seat of her new ship, she begins poring over maps and move small counters representing fleets and ships around, trying to figure out a strategy for how to keep fighting the war. Preferably without having to rely on the strongest armada in the galaxy growing even stronger from conquests.*

11. - Top - End - #161
    Troll in the Playground

Glad I could be of some assistance sir. I'm just glad one of my subordinates was able to remember which mind-altering drugs we could add to our information warfare drops- and which would only affect the Korx.

I'm a little concerned that one of my soldiers- a Drill Sergeant Yomoko- is trying to create drill missiles on the quiet though.
    Part of YugiohITP

Warning: This post may contain traces of nuts, madness and/or sarcasm, you have been warned.

12. - Top - End - #162
    Troll in the Playground

Y'know, I'm not even too bothered about having been blown up into tiny, little smithereens. These new ships are really great! Genuine Korx-leather seats, in-built expresso machine... It even has a cup holder! Oh, and yeah. It kills stuff good. Mostly. I mean, it's not THAT bad that we're almost outclassed by the enemies' fighters.
    Truth resists simplicity.

13. - Top - End - #163
    Firbolg in the Playground

Wheee... I have big ships now. It makes sense.

Our large ship is in the same class with our enemies' fighters. Reminds you guys on something?

Hint: Start with M, end with across.

And anyway, now I have FIVE MISSILE LAUNCHERS.

I approve. Though still far from my theoritical missile salvo dream... but one small step at a time. one small step.
    You got Magic Mech in My Police Procedural!
    In this forum, Gaming is Serious Business, and Anyone Can Die. Not even your status as the Ensemble Darkhorse can guarantee your survival.

Disciple of GITP Trope-Fu Temple And Captain of GITP Valkyrie Squadron.
    Spoiler
    Show

The OTP in the playground.
    Awesome Elizabeth Shelley by Hollamer
    My Gallery/My Star Wolves 3 LP

14. - Top - End - #164
    Firbolg in the Playground

*peers out from behind moon*

We're no longer being mercilessly crushed at every turn? Huzzah.

Supreme leader, I hereby submit a design for a defense craft. A cargo ship frame with as many missile launchers as possible. It needs no defenses or engines, it's only there to buy time. But when it goes on the offense...

It's got to hit first to win, but it's good at it. Sides, it's cheap.
    I am trying out LPing. Check out my channel here: Triaxx2

15. - Top - End - #165

You were part of the Nerdo Squad that was wiped out during my colonies' defense. It consisted of Nerdorama, Fri, you, Even Human and an unnamed mook.
    Using unnamed mooks in our mighty fleet shall not be acepted!

Officer Oslecamo reporting for combat duty sir! My experience is mainly with giant robots, but I can command space ships in a pinch.

16. - Top - End - #166
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Triaxx View Post
    Supreme leader, I hereby submit a design for a defense craft. A cargo ship frame with as many missile launchers as possible. It needs no defenses or engines, it's only there to buy time. But when it goes on the offense...

It's got to hit first to win, but it's good at it. Sides, it's cheap.
    1 hp but lots of guns? Sounds like a decent unit if I want a suicide craft to take down fortified enemy positions. Or weaken a huge fleet.

Don't worry about its effectiveness, as unless one side has Super Warriors as its special ability (and that's Arceans, not Korx), both sides' ships fire at the same time. Even if they get obliterated on the first round of combat, they can still fire back.

Why did I say my ships need upgrades to have a chance to fire back? Drama, of course!

Also, everyone who volunteers for service now, that our doom is no longer near, will receive a most honorable position. We need battlefield commanders for planetary strike teams - the casualty rate is high, but you have a chance to strike back against the cutthroat bastards! Aren't you happy?

17. - Top - End - #167
    Troll in the Playground

Also, everyone who volunteers for service now, that our doom is no longer near, will receive a most honorable position. We need battlefield commanders for planetary strike teams - the casualty rate is high, but you have a chance to strike back against the cutthroat bastards! Aren't you happy?
    I would just like to clarify that- as commandant of the Underdogs marine forces, hand to hand combat is generally a last resort. We much prefer to infiltrate the enemy bases, poison their military rations and simply wait a few weeks. Ideally, we'd like to poison the enemy water supplies by orbital bombardment, but apparently we're trying to colonise most of these rocks, so that isn't usually an option.

We keep trying to convince Supreme Commander Cubey that we should be deploying infantry-scale Arnorian armour, but unfortunately, the military budget won't stretch that far- or so I'm told.

Must start sending PoW's back to the tech capital so they can stop experimenting on the scientists and actually research stuff properly.
    Part of YugiohITP

18. - Top - End - #168
    Ogre in the Playground

I see our work with unit 1337's Barney recordings have made excellent propaganda for the information warfare. We will continue our efforts to making more effective literature to appeal to the disenfranchised Krox masses.
    If God had wanted you to live he would not have created me!

19. - Top - End - #169
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

Ha HA! Delicious payback!
    Spoiler
    Show

Stealthy Snake avatar by Dawn
    Lack of images by Imageshack

20. - Top - End - #170

Ground Commander? Will there be morale drones involved? If not, I'm in.
    "In dark times, should the stars also go out?"

21. - Top - End - #171
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Ground Commander? Will there be morale drones involved? If not, I'm in.
    I can confidently state that my battalions have as little to do with the Morale office as possible. The fact that, any time we've known about their people coming to the front line there have almost always been 'weapons malfunctions' has nothing to do with this, honest. Has to be said though, they've started trying to slip them in more sneakily now... The last one they tried to insert under the cover of being a Torian spy aboard a Jessuin trade vessel, we shot him into the nearest star when we uncovered him though.
    Part of YugiohITP

22. - Top - End - #172

Ah, so the enemy is trying to insert spies under the guise of my men under the guise of Torians under the guise of Jessuins? The sneaky bastards. I will definitely have use for them.
    No, all my men are concentrated on Ymir III, barely able to keep peace in the face of all the raucous corruption and subversive influences coming from the pathetic excuse of a technological capital. Personally, I'd never set foot in there. In fact, it might be wise to take to the helm of a capital warship myself, just so I can accrue medals for my political career shoot anyone that tries to flee, with weapons they're not armoured against inspire the men by example.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

23. - Top - End - #173
    Titan in the Playground

Space Ghost?

Huh. Always preferred the Herculoids, m'self. Let me know when we start engineering laser dragons.
    Remember how I was wishing for the peace of oblivion a minute ago?

Yeah. That hasn't exactly changed with more knowledge of the situation. -Security Chief Victor Jones, formerly of the UESC Marathon.

X-Com avatar by BRC. He's good folks.

24. - Top - End - #174
    Troll in the Playground

Oh that is a sexy sexy starship you made for us. Not even those sickening 100 railgun fighters can stand up to a Macross Missile Massacre!
    "And if you don't, the consequences will be dire!"
    "What? They'll have three extra hit dice and a rend attack?"

Factotum Variants!

25. - Top - End - #175
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    Ah, so the enemy is trying to insert spies under the guise of my men under the guise of Torians under the guise of Jessuins? The sneaky bastards. I will definitely have use for them.
    Nope, they were definitely Underdogs once we got the rubber monster suits off- and they had come from Ymir III. Might have been something to do with the AI system though- If that's the case, you may need to work out why and how your people are being subverted. Also, a fairly vicious re-format may be required.
    Part of YugiohITP

26. - Top - End - #176
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mercenary Pen View Post
    Must start sending PoW's back to the tech capital so they can stop experimenting on the scientists and actually research stuff properly.
    Properly? It is against the principles of a mad scientist not to use himself and his colleagues as guinea pigs!

*Injects himself with an untested serum, transmission ends abruptly.*

Siela Tempo by the talented Kasanip. Tengu by myself.
    Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #177
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tengu_temp View Post
    Properly? It is against the principles of a mad scientist not to use himself and his colleagues as guinea pigs!

*Injects himself with an untested serum, transmission ends abruptly.*
    Oh yes, the near-permanent laryngitis serum we brought back from the battlefield- so good of you to test it for us.
    Part of YugiohITP

28. - Top - End - #178
    Barbarian in the Playground

Huzzah! Plan "Flee in Bowel Loosening Terror on a Tiny Constructor Ship" (plan A for short) has been an overwhelming sucess:

Objective A: Ensure that the Minister of Flight is still alive was 100% sucessful!
    Objective B: Ensure that the Minister of Flight has the same number of internal organs that he started the war with reports 112% sucess. Which is worrying, but better than most of the alternatives. I suspect Dr. Tengsano may have something to do with that.
    Don’t date the sane ones, they’ll only make you crazy. Date the really insane ones but never let them know where you live or work.

29. - Top - End - #179

Quote Originally Posted by Mercenary Pen View Post
    Nope, they were definitely Underdogs once we got the rubber monster suits off- and they had come from Ymir III. Might have been something to do with the AI system though- If that's the case, you may need to work out why and how your people are being subverted. Also, a fairly vicious re-format may be required.
    So you're saying that the Korx race has been engineered by our own people?

Excellent! Nothing like a sham war to raise morale. We have always been at war with the Korx.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

30. - Top - End - #180
    Bugbear in the Playground

We need battlefield commanders for planetary strike teams
    Anything to get me away from the Korx -- or at least, on the right side of a gun being pointed at them.