New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default Kobold Master Trap Maker

So, I am considering a character for the next game coming up. The idea is a kobold master trapper.

The race (kobold) is set. I am planning on taking both Combat Trapsmith (CompScoundrel) and Trapsmith (Dungeonscape).

What I would like some comments on are what base class to take (Rogue, Scout, Spellthief, Factotum)? Must have Trapfinding.

Also, I still need to fill in the last 5 levels of the character. I am considering Dark Hunter (CompWarrior) and Dungeon Delver (CompAdventurer). Any recommendations here? Would there be a better choice?

Thanks for any help.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Kobold Master Trap Maker

To keep in line with the flavor- for the last 5 levels go Master Thrower and use Nets. Spell-storing nets rock, and it fits the concept of a sneaky indirect Kobold trap user. Spelltheif as a starting class would allow you to cast a bit into your own net, if the party Wizard doesn't feel like it.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

Master Thrower is a bit feat-intensive, so while flavorful, there are probably superior avenues.

I have a kobold master trapmonkey statted out that I've been dying to use. He's gone through a few iterations, but his current build slates him as an Old (Venerable felt like I was pushing it, funnily enough) Dragonwrought Desert Kobold (with the racial features from the Races of the Dragon Web Enhancement) Factotum 5/ Trapsmith 5/ Factotum +X. Factotum would've been better to take all the way through, but I built him expressly to be a trapmaker so I couldn't.

Factotum gives you a Caster Level, so a terrific feat to take is Craft Wondrous Item. Your (extremely) limited spells per day aren't nearly as much of an issue when you use them for magic traps! It's perfect with your access to every wizard spell in the game (to a certain level).

Alternatively, you could take the Kobold Rogue racial substitution levels, making you slightly better at finding and disabling traps.

Good luck!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

Artificer. On both ends. So you can make better magical traps and use infusions on normal traps on the fly.
    ,,,,^..^,,,,

Quote Originally Posted by Haldir View Post
    Edit- I understand it now, Fighters are like a status symbol. If you're well off enough to own a living Fighter, you must be pretty well off!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Factotum because You are the expert of all trades, master of some.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

And another vote for Factotum

For all the reasons mentioned above and the fact that you benefit from your high intel without playing a wizard.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Yorrin View Post
    To keep in line with the flavor- for the last 5 levels go Master Thrower and use Nets. Spell-storing nets rock, and it fits the concept of a sneaky indirect Kobold trap user.
    Lassos (BoED) would work better than nets, actually. Nets have a size restriction, lassos don't.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

DrowGuy

I've got a Kobold trapper I'm running right now. He's a Scout 4/Ninja 2/Combat Trapsmith 4.

Eventually he'll be a Scout 8/Ninja 2/Combat Trapsmith 5/Trapsmith 5.

Kobold trapmakers are extremely useful, and make any dungeon delve ten times easier.

It's also one of the best roleplay experiences I've had in years. I always use a squeaky voice when I speak in character.

If you have any questions, feel free to message me.
    78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

Systems I'm familiar with (or at least played):
    Spoiler
    Show
    3.5, Pathfinder, Old World of Darkness, Silver Age Sentinels or Tri-Stat, Shadowrun 4th, All Flesh, 40k

My sister: What's in the cave?
    DM: There's cave.
    Me: How big is the cave?
    Dm: There's lots of cave inside this cave.

My Naruto Pathfinder Homebrew

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Kobold cloistered cleric with kobold, trickery and knowledge domains.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Claudius Maximus View Post
    Also fixed the money issue by sacrificing a goat.
    Quote Originally Posted by subject42 View Post
    This board needs a "you're technically right but I still want to crawl into the fetal position and cry" emoticon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yukitsu View Post
    I define [optimization] as "the process by which one attains a build meeting all mechanical and characterization goals set out by the creator prior to its creation."
    Praise for avatar may be directed to Derjuin.