New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default What god would he follow?

If Frollo was a D&D character, which god would he follow?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: What god would he follow?

If he were in Eberron, DEFINITELY the Silver Flame. While the Silver Flame is a lawful good deity, it's also the deity of purification and is known for having bloody inquisitions and purges. While the actual leader of the faith is LG, the actual political leader of the church (High Cardinal Krozen) is LE. (In Eberron it's ok for clerics not to have the same alignment as the deity.)

In core D&D 3.5, St. Cuthbert. Frollo was the Minister of Justice, after all. He'd be LE or a very self-interested LN, and St. Cuthbert is ok with LE clerics---he'd definitely be ok with LE worshippers.

Also, Frollo is perhaps my favorite Disney villain ever, and The Hunchback of Notre Dame is my favorite Disney movie ever.

Eberron Red Hand of Doom Campaign Journal. NOW COMPLETE!
    Sakuya Izayoi avatar by Mr. Saturn. Caella sig by Neoseph.

"I dunno, you just gave me the image of a nerd flying slow motion over a coffee table towards another nerd, dual wielding massive books. It was awesome." -- Marriclay

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

I think Frollo would worship Pelor.

In core D&D 3.5, St. Cuthbert. Frollo was the Minister of Justice, after all. He'd be LE or a very self-interested LN, and St. Cuthbert is ok with LE clerics---he'd definitely be ok with LE worshippers.
    but, St. Cuthbert specifically can't have LE clerics.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Malificus View Post

Oops. Didn't notice that. Regardless, he could still be LN and be a pretty horrific villain.

Eberron Red Hand of Doom Campaign Journal. NOW COMPLETE!
    Sakuya Izayoi avatar by Mr. Saturn. Caella sig by Neoseph.

"I dunno, you just gave me the image of a nerd flying slow motion over a coffee table towards another nerd, dual wielding massive books. It was awesome." -- Marriclay

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

St. Cuthbert doesn't really care for the nobility, or schemers for that matter. For core, I would say wee jas maybe, possibly hextor.

For Faerun, Siamorphe or maybe that other LE god of power brokers (can't think of his name).

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Gargauth; the Tenth Lord of the Pit

Gargauth, also known as the "Tenth Lord of Nine," the "Lost Lord of the Pit," and the "Hidden Lord," is the deity of betrayal, cruelty, political corruption, and powerbrokers. He embodies the inevitable decay and corruption that accompanies all self-serving, greedy, and power-hungry leaders and groups. He shows a veneer of civility and compassion whenever encountered, and he relishes in twisting a contract with someone to serve his own ends by holding only to the letter of the agreement. Gargauth is a master strategist, and his sense of humor moderates his temper. He uses his followers, who constantly seek to increase their personal power, to act as his eyes and ears throughout Faerun. He also has them entice and corrupt powerful individuals and bind them into strict contracts.
    To see the world in a grain of sand
    and Heaven in a wild flower
    To hold infinity in the palm of your hand
    and eternity in an hour.

- William Blake, Auguries of Innocence

7. - Top - End - #7
    Banned

SwashbucklerGuy

Wee Jas - she is likewise one conflicted 'control freak with raging passions' character.

Or possibly Loagzed (coz everybody LOEV Loagzed).

8. - Top - End - #8

Asmodeus
    Hextor/Bane
    Any good-aligned deity like Pelor, but with "Veil of Cyric". (Essentially, the character does not know that he is in fact worshipping an evil deity, but their powers actually come from them)

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Wait, Good Pelor (NG), or Real Pelor (NE)?

10. - Top - End - #10

The Burning Hate, I guess

11. - Top - End - #11
    Colossus in the Playground

In Greyhawk, in all probability, Frollo would try to become a worshiper of Heironeous (probably even a paladin!), be rejected because of his Lawful Evil alignment, and the plot of the Hunchback of Notre Dame would be derailed from that point. One of the advantages of tangible deities. He would never have political power from religion in an area dominated by a good-aligned faith, and the movie* doesn't work in an area where the dominant faith is Hextor--Frollo would kill Quasimodo and his mother without a murmur of opposition, with the old cleric stopping to tell him what a good upholder of the faith he was.

*Movie, not book, 'cause that's what the picture in the first post is from, and I'm not qualified to speak if we're discussing the book character.
    Last edited by Kish; 2010-03-07 at 09:08 AM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Starbuck_II View Post
    good Pelor

Frollo thinks he is good. He has moral dilemmas when he sees that he is being tempted by Esmeralda. I do not think he would worship an evil god.

Heck, quantifiable proof that what he's doing was evil (like is available in D&D) may have made Frollo atone, and go back (or start being if he never was) good.

13. - Top - End - #13

In Eberron, he could worship any good (preferably LG) deity, since cleric alignments aren't tied to followers. Since he isn't necessarily a cleric, he would simply need a (sub-conscious way) of covering up his evil tendencies to pull this off in any other campaign setting.

Perhaps he's an aristocrat with a prestige class. Heironeous would certainly fit, if he could disguise his alignment.
    In Dungeons and Dragons, racism is frowned upon, unless you're playing an elf. Then it's an interesting character trait.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Orc in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Zarus, the Human Paragon, Greater god, Lawful Evil. The guy is in Races of Destiny and is the only racial deity I can find for humans.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

Raptor Jesus. It had to be said.
    "No extra charge!"

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

Sol Invictus!
    I use black for sarcasm.

Call me Rose, or The Rose Dragon. Rose Dragon is someone else entirely.

If you need me for something, please PM me about it. I am having difficulty keeping track of all my obligations.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

good Pelor

Frollo thinks he is good. He has moral dilemmas when he sees that he is being tempted by Esmeralda. I do not think he would worship an evil god.

Heck, quantifiable proof that what he's doing was evil (like is available in D&D) may have made Frollo atone, and go back (or start being if he never was) good.
    Lots of Evils think they're Good (Redcloak being a good eg), but if you're putting people in D&D scenarios they have to play by D&D rules, and Evil people in D&D have to worship an Evil/Neutral deity.
    Piratebold-Bard by Elder Tsofu | Backer #121 of the Giantitp Kickstarter | My homebrew
    Quote Originally Posted by OverlordJ View Post
    New law: Obey me or you'll be crushed by a MOUNTAIN.

18. - Top - End - #18

OrcBarbarianGuy

Frollo's god needs a fire motif to make Hellfire all the more awesome. I think drawing upon the Burning Hate while imagining himself to be servicing the sunny goodness of Nice Pelor is the best fit we're going to find.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by JaronK
    Why on earth would there be superstition in a world where you can just ask the gods stuff? "Hey, I hear throwing salt over your shoulder prevents bad luck." "Oh yeah? I'll ask the god of luck, brb."
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyndmyr
    Hey, it could be worse. It could be monks. One day, someone will start a thread titled "4E monks, more morally justified than 3.5 wizards!", and the world will end.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaq
    Now, of course, what is a ninja? (A miserable little pile of shuriken!)

19. - Top - End - #19

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kobold-Bard View Post
    Lots of Evils think they're Good (Redcloak being a good eg), but if you're putting people in D&D scenarios they have to play by D&D rules, and Evil people in D&D have to worship an Evil/Neutral deity.
    Only if they want spells from them. There's nothing from preventing someone who worships a good deity doing evil things; heck, that's what causes divine spellcasters to lose their powers at all.

If Frollo is going to be a spellcaster, then he's best off worshipping an evil god who pretends to be good. A particularly cunning incarnation of Asmodeus or Mephistopheles might do the trick. The Burning Hate would be even better.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by JaronK
    Why on earth would there be superstition in a world where you can just ask the gods stuff? "Hey, I hear throwing salt over your shoulder prevents bad luck." "Oh yeah? I'll ask the god of luck, brb."
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyndmyr
    Hey, it could be worse. It could be monks. One day, someone will start a thread titled "4E monks, more morally justified than 3.5 wizards!", and the world will end.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaq
    Now, of course, what is a ninja? (A miserable little pile of shuriken!)

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

The frog god? I mean, you believe in the superiority of frogs and humans. What is not to like?

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sydonai View Post
    Zarus, the Human Paragon, Greater god, Lawful Evil. The guy is in Races of Destiny and is the only racial deity I can find for humans.
    There's an actual Human God?

**** you Pelor, Humans have got a proper patron now
    Piratebold-Bard by Elder Tsofu | Backer #121 of the Giantitp Kickstarter | My homebrew
    Quote Originally Posted by OverlordJ View Post
    New law: Obey me or you'll be crushed by a MOUNTAIN.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Starbuck_II View Post

Pelor being evil is a theory nothing more
    While there is some evidence of him being in fact evil it could be just bad editing / quality control (like the caster casting a 6th level spells with 15 prim stat)
    And there is also powerful evidence that he is not evil.

So stating a theory that is arguable as fact (without giving proof) makes you just plain wrong

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

I think he would make a good cleric of Pholtus, the other Greyhawk god of the sun. Pholtus is LAWFUL then good. His clerics are often inquisitor types, exacting confessions from evil types through often rather unpleasent means.

Seems to fit to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fax Celestis View Post
    AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY!