New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 13 1234567891011 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default You are Survivor

The world has been irrevocably scarred by the aftermath of a great war. A plague, supernatural in origin, has been unleashed as an ill conceived scheme to unification. Powered by the sacrificed lives of a thousand epic mages, this sanguineous whirlwind has devastated the Illumined City, once a centre of thought, knowledge and balance (equity of power, equity of money, equality of gender, equality of race et al).

This infection, believed by many to be none other than the perfidious work of a deity of disease and mayhem is overwhelming in its ease of spread and devastating in its symptoms.

All touched by it erupt in ponderous explosions of blood, showering all within its radius with tainted, vile disease; causing many more to be infected, to be touched by its bloody hand.

These are the lucky ones; for others, they survive the initial onslaught only to "awaken" as seemingly mindless, brutally savage inhumans; super zombies. These massacre what little surviving residents remain and gouge themselves upon living and dead alike; propagating, multiplying. In doing so, destroying countless powerful magic items.

In little time, Illuminous becomes a wasteland of mortar and wood, a sad silent plea to what once was. Its very buildings, once heralded as innovative ahead of its time are decayed and crumbling. Its very streets are strewn with debris and the castoff seeds of ruined plants.

You have somehow managed to survive; be it from a lost magic item, your own immunity, or some other reason, you are perhaps the only godforsaken survivor.

You need to eke out a living, or whatever remains as a semblance of one. Yet you must always be mindful of the time of day; with the setting sun comes the threat of attack and multitudinous hordes. Even though you cannot be infected, you can still die.

What will you do? You are a mid-level D&D character, unoptimised with generic items.

You need to find food, and must search through every residence and building to find any item that may be beneficial to you. Occasionally, you will find that you need to venture into darkened tenements or blackened warehouses to uncover useful objects.

The creatures are only harmed by direct sunlight; no artificial light sources can harm them, even magically created ones.

You have your own dwelling and must quickly return to it every sunset, though the distance covered in your search and wanderings may be considerable; you cannot remain outside very long at all.

There may be an animal companion accompanying you, but inevitably it will become infected and you may need to put it down. Are you able to do this? Or will you simply abandon it? Or something other?

The seemingly mindless super zombies occasionally build traps to ensnare prey. You happen to be tricked into one of them, cracking your head and going unconscious. You awaken to find it is near night, and you are still hanging suspended upon a simple rope. What will you do? How will you evade and flee the horde to shelter once again in your sanctum?

Will you try to trap the super zombies in a bid to find a cure and thus restore society? Or will you remain a bastion of depression and loneliness?

How will you deal with your depression or the crushing despair? There is no one to converse with, no gods to commune.
    To see the world in a grain of sand
    and Heaven in a wild flower
    To hold infinity in the palm of your hand
    and eternity in an hour.

- William Blake, Auguries of Innocence

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: You are Survivor

I become a lich and lord over mankind. I use my rebuking powers to make the zombies my slaves.
    Last edited by Volkov; 2010-03-07 at 09:09 AM.
    "No extra charge!"

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Volkov View Post
    I become a lich and lord over mankind. I use my rebuking powers to make the zombies my slaves.
    This.

Alternatively; hide in a corner, wait for my death, and cry like a little kid.
    The poster formerly known as Riyoukaze.
    I am agile, like orange.
    onthetown

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Amiel View Post
    You are a mid-level D&D character, unoptimised with generic items.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lich Creation
    The character must be able to cast spells and have a caster level of 11th or higher. The phylactery costs 120,000 gp and 4,800 XP to create and has a caster level equal to that of its creator at the time of creation.

Also, mortal races please.
    Last edited by Amiel; 2010-03-07 at 09:18 AM.
    and eternity in an hour.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Banned

Step 1: Perform a ritual to attract the attention of 'Turalisj Nugri'

Step 2: Laugh as the 'Turalisj Nugri' eats the entire universe, killing the zombies, me and and everything else.

There you go, i may have died, but i took all those bastards down with me.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Addendum; how sure are you (general you) that they are actually undead?
    They may very well be aberrations.
    and eternity in an hour.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Barbarian in the Playground

You are a mid-level D&D character, unoptimised with generic items.
    Mid-level is rather tangible, and encompasses everything from L5-15. Would you care to narrow it down?

Now, assuming I can defeat a zombie in combat, I would powerlevel my character MMO-style, to the point where I can pull off an (near-)infinite loop to grant myself limitless power. Then, I would create a new world utilizing Genesis, and leave the crapsack zombie place. If I feel like it, I will Locate City Bomb the old world, just for the hell of it. Twice. After all, double-tapping is the most important thing next to cardio in a zombie adventure.
    Last edited by Longcat; 2010-03-07 at 09:26 AM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Be a 9th level cleric(9 being below mid-level) and Plane Shift to the Astral Plane. Wall of Stone a shell around myself. Float around forever creating my own food/water and entertainment(via Summon Monster gladitorial battles).

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Also, mortal races please.
    Level 11 is mid-level. And I will use detect undead to see if they are capable of being slaves, if they are abberations, I convince them to join my army with a diplomacy check. Or I use my own zombies to fight them. As my undead hordes ravage the psuedo-zombies, I laugh as the world slowly falls under my command. And then once I reach epic level, I will use an epic spell to make everything in the universe my permanent slave. As Yuri once said, "There will be no more free will, only my will."
    Last edited by Volkov; 2010-03-07 at 09:38 AM.
    "No extra charge!"

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

The Build and the Plan
    Spoiler
    Show
    Mid level? and unoptomized? Regular cleric into Techsmith. Gond willing, I have everything in the city to make cheap golems, constructs, homunculi and effigy creatures from. my gondsman and homunculi are intellegent so I'll have company. Homunculi are used to scout, along with animated objects+ scry. They also order any simple constructs while salvaging out in the city.

Given time, long term plans call for Some sort of flying Effigy creature is built for relocation, and huge effigy creatures that can dig. I'll sink the damn city if I can't save it, but only as a final order.

The Home
    Spoiler
    Show
    Sanctuary will be a cluster of buildings that are at least 3 stories tall and have basements. Chop out the stairs going up to the second floors and the ground floors as well, then seal up the second floor in each and trap the living heck out of them. plank bridges will allow access between the third or higher floors of each building (say 3-4 buildings in total). Finally, a rope ladder and a basic winch/crane are the only access up. Now unless they fully assault all the buildings at one time I;m safe, but they will loose many in taking the second floor, and I can just burn any buildings that are over run.Lost constructs can be rebuilt from the scraps.

If captured:
    Spoiler
    Show
    That is what the gondsman is for. I'd be cut down and carried back to sanctuary on tireless legs.

The Crew:
    Spoiler
    Show

-1 Gondsman. an Intelligent golem who is bodyguard and companion. I think I'd name him Mr. Handy.

-5 or more Cheap Constructs: The ones from Dragon Magazine. Don't remember the issue, but they are weak, cheap and can be made from scraps. If I'm gonna loose something, might as well just be a wood or tin golem.

-3 Homunculus. A Packmate and two Expeditious messengers. I don't think the zombies will bother a chest, so long as it stays still when they are around, and the messengers are sneaky and swift fliers.

5-Effigy creatures: one Large size locust for transportation, then either 4 large grapplers (If I can find a cure) or 4 large size diggers (if I must sink the city).

Granted, it isn't as efficient as using the undead in the same manner, but working on them all helps to keep my mind occupied and fills the time. The feeling of accomplishment each time a new creation starts to move will stave off depression, and the companionship from the sentient ones will stave off insanity.
    ,,,,^..^,,,,

Quote Originally Posted by Haldir View Post
    Edit- I understand it now, Fighters are like a status symbol. If you're well off enough to own a living Fighter, you must be pretty well off!

11. - Top - End - #11
    Banned

SwashbucklerGuy

1. Tell the DM his "Omega Man" pastiche sucks.
    2. Hijack the group in the name of truth, justice and the Gygaxian way, leading them in the paths of righteousness to the promised lands of high adventure.
    Last edited by bosssmiley; 2010-03-07 at 10:19 AM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

What will you do? You are a mid-level D&D character, unoptimised with generic items.

There is no one to converse with, no gods to commune.
    Pazuzu Pazuzu Pazuzu
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself. I am large, I contain multitudes. (W.Whitman)

Things that increase my self esteem:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaiyanwang View Post
    Great analysis KA. I second all things you said
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeYounger View Post
    Great analysis KA, I second everything you said here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryu_Bonkosi View Post
    If I have a player using Paladin in the future I will direct them to this. Good job.
    Quote Originally Posted by grimbold View Post
    THIS is proof that KA is amazing
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'Dice Lost View Post
    Killer Angel, you have an excellent taste in books
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Historical zombies is a fantastic idea.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

I also summon Pazuzu, and tell him that I'll share the universe with him if he gets rid of the zombies with his wish power.
    "No extra charge!"

14. - Top - End - #14

Level 11 is mid-level. And I will use detect undead to see if they are capable of being slaves, if they are abberations, I convince them to join my army with a diplomacy check. Or I use my own zombies to fight them. As my undead hordes ravage the psuedo-zombies, I laugh as the world slowly falls under my command. And then once I reach epic level, I will use an epic spell to make everything in the universe my permanent slave. As Yuri once said, "There will be no more free will, only my will."
    Thats level 11 before the +4 LA

Level 15 is hardly mid-level

Why do you have to return to your shack?

I would just say I have a ring of sustenance(which I almost always have as a mid-level adventurer), being an Horizon Walker, I'd just follow the sun all the time and never worry about zombies.

Alternatively, I can just be a cleric(not as cool, but much more effective) and teleport to the sunlit part of earth whenever its getting dark.

Freedom of Movement or a good escape artist check means I don't care about traps

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BenTheJester View Post

Why do you have to return to your shack?

I would just say I have a ring of sustenance(which I almost always have as a mid-level adventurer), being an Horizon Walker, I'd just follow the sun all the time and never worry about zombies.

Alternatively, I can just be a cleric(not as cool, but much more effective) and teleport to the sunlit part of earth whenever its getting dark.

Freedom of Movement or a good escape artist check means I don't care about traps
    Oh contrare, level 15 is the highest mid-level, and I can buy off some of the LA any way.
    Last edited by Volkov; 2010-03-07 at 10:41 AM.
    "No extra charge!"

16. - Top - End - #16

Au contraire, level 15 is the highest mid-level, and I can buy off some of the LA any way.
    Who says you can?

And anyway I don't think the goal of this thread is to find how to be the most powerful being and have an easy fun time.

I think Vizzerdrix gave one of the best answer.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

Who says you can?

And anyway I don't think the goal of this thread is to find how to be the most powerful being and have an easy fun time.

I think Vizzerdrix gave one of the best answer.
    The goal is to survive, I not only survived but prospered.
    "No extra charge!"

18. - Top - End - #18

Actually, it is.

How will you deal with your depression or the crushing despair? There is no one to converse with, no gods to commune.
    Emphasis mine.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Longcat View Post
    Actually, it is.

Emphasis mine.
    You don't need gods to be a cleric. Just faith.
    "No extra charge!"

20. - Top - End - #20

GnomeWizardGuy

I'd probably play a Vow of Poverty character (if I remember right they don't need to eat or drink, and also become immune to disease which would explain why the character is alive in the first place)

character would then spend all of his time trying to save everyone he can

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Soranar View Post
    I'd probably play a Vow of Poverty character (if I remember right they don't need to eat or drink, and also become immune to disease which would explain why the character is alive in the first place)

character would then spend all of his time trying to save everyone he can
    But would you survive my horde of commanded and animated awakened skeletons? Or would you support my growing empire ruled by undead soldiers? And these skeletons would all be clerics to control more undead.
    "No extra charge!"

22. - Top - End - #22

GnomeWizardGuy

But would you survive my horde of commanded and animated awakened skeletons? Or would you support my growing empire ruled by undead soldiers? And these skeletons would all be clerics to control more undead.
    actually I'd probably be saving people from you and your undead

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Soranar View Post
    actually I'd probably be saving people from you and your undead
    Better free in a dangerous world than safe behind skeleton warriors eh?
    "No extra charge!"

24. - Top - End - #24

Eh Volkov, aren't all posters supposed to be undertaking the challenge posed by the OP individually? I.E. not clashing against each other while surviving the super zombies.

Although I have to admit that the entire challenge would be so much more awesome with multiple contestants competing. Kinda like Fallout/Mad Max with zombies

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Longcat View Post
    Eh Volkov, aren't all posters supposed to be undertaking the challenge posed by the OP individually? I.E. not clashing against each other while surviving the super zombies.

Although I have to admit that the entire challenge would be so much more awesome with multiple contestants competing. Kinda like Fallout/Mad Max with zombies
    And roving armies of intelligent skeletons who "press-gang" you into service. A growing horde of intelligent undead skeletons fighting a horde of zombies vs a bunch of mid-level survivors. Now if that's not cool vs awesome I don't know what is.
    Last edited by Volkov; 2010-03-07 at 11:47 AM.
    "No extra charge!"

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

Amiel- May i ask what is the sudden interest in the "I am Legend" D&D style type of game? the theme doesn't translate well. if you want something of that feel you have to get rid of most thing magic. i say most things from 5th level spells and higher allready make the theme fairly problematic.

1. Special projects:
    Campaign logs archive, Campaign planning log, Tactical mass combat Homebrew, A unique monsters compendium.
    2. My campaign logs:
    Three from a GM's POV, One from a player's POV. Very detailed, including design and GMing discussions.
    3. Various roleplay and real life musings and anecdotes:
    For those interested, from serious to funny!

Thanks for reading!

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kol Korran View Post
    Amiel- May i ask what is the sudden interest in the "I am Legend" D&D style type of game? the theme doesn't translate well. if you want something of that feel you have to get rid of most thing magic. i say most things from 5th level spells and higher allready make the theme fairly problematic.
    Shush, Army of intelligent skeletons that skeletonize their foes vs zombies vs mid level PC survivors=instant awesome.
    "No extra charge!"

28. - Top - End - #28

And roving armies of intelligent skeletons who "press-gang" you into service. A growing horde of intelligent undead skeletons fighting a horde of zombies vs a bunch of mid-level survivors. Now if that's not cool vs awesome I don't know what is.
    So, it's "Join the Resistance" or "Extermination"?

Now we just need to find someone willing to DM this game. Any volunteers?

29. - Top - End - #29

BlackDragon

Be a warlock, with The Deadwalk, Fell Flight, and Brimstone Blast, and Vitriolic blast if high enough level.

Raising the various bodies of bunnies, puppies, and kitties are a temporary mining unit to dig for onyx for a more permanent army, while you searching for jewelry and gems stores with dead owners. You take the a section of the once fluffy army with you to maul any "super zombies" you may encounter while you are flying around searching for onyx. Slowly you build up your X*4 CL worth animals and people and then you clear town by town on the other undead menace. The recommended tactic is to swarm the "super zombie with at least 10 of the weaker units, then while they are distracted you fire the Brimstone/Vitrolic blast from the air while another group of 4 stronger humanoid skeleton units attack with the bows/crossbows.
    Last edited by The Shadowmind; 2010-03-07 at 12:45 PM.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Shadowmind View Post
    Be a warlock, with The Deadwalk, Fell Flight, and Brimstone Blast, and Vitriolic blast if high enough level.

Raising the various bodies of bunnies, puppies, and kitties are a temporary mining unit to dig for onyx for a more permanent army, while you searching for jewelry and gems stores with dead owners. You take the a section of the once fluffy army with you to maul any "super zombies" you may encounter while you are flying around searching for onyx. Slowly you build up your X*4 CL worth animals and people and then you clear town by town on the other undead menace. The recommended tactic is to swarm the "super zombie with at least 4 10 of the weaker units, then while they are distracted you fire the Brimstone/Vitrolic blast from the air while another group of 4 stronger humanoid skeleton units attack with the bows/crossbows.
    If I were to offer you a place in my undead legion, would you accept?
    "No extra charge!"