New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Horrors of The Abyss Chapter 1: Orcus, Demon Prince of the Undead

After much work, Dicefreaks is proud to present the first chapter of Horrors of The Abyss. In it, we detail one of the most infamous figures of The Abyss; a personage so vile, so persistent in his hatred for the living that not even death could stop him. A being that is one of the most infamous figures in all Creation:

Orcus, Demon Prince of the Undead

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Horrors of The Abyss Chapter 1: Orcus, Demon Prince of the Undead

Interesting. Good read. Will you be producing more of these? I might like to see Grazz't or Demogorgon. Maybe one of the elder demons princes, such as Obox-ob or Dagon, as well.

All that I say applies only to myself. You author your own actions and choices. I cannot and will not be responsible for you, nor are you for me, regardless of situation or circumstance.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by arguskos View Post
    Interesting. Good read. Will you be producing more of these? I might like to see Grazz't or Demogorgon. Maybe one of the elder demons princes, such as Obox-ob or Dagon, as well.
    Thanks. The answer to your question, by the way, is: absolutely! They're all scheduled for future releases, so stay tuned.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Are these retelling of the Demon lord's histories:

You gave him God abilities, but he died and lost those. Remember Tenebrous?

He doesn't claim title of Prince (BoVD pg 138).
    Sure, he has a cult, but no godhood. It is rather ironic that undead worship him as he hates undead (though he will use them as pawns).
    Tene was killed before Orcus was restored.
    Also Orcus was raised by Quath-Noth, a human with the Ogre Bloodline (BoVD pg 138).

This was why Tene became a Vestige in Tome of Magic (even Tene was too powerful to just fase away).

Interesting either way. I see the Epic magic, etc feat but not all those divine powers (I always thought his unique powers mostly are from his Rod).

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

I believe his stat block is part of Dicefreaks recreating of the high end creatures of the multiverse. In their rendition, Demon Princes have divine ranks, as would Archdevils, the Celestial Host, Archomentals, Primus, the Slaadi Lords, etc. In many cases, these creatures are actually ABOVE gods, since there is but one Orcus, while there exist a vast plethora of gods of the sun (for instance).

All that I say applies only to myself. You author your own actions and choices. I cannot and will not be responsible for you, nor are you for me, regardless of situation or circumstance.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Banned

SwashbucklerGuy

DiceFreaks: systematizing the fantastic without banalising it. That's quite a balancing act to pull off.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Colossus in the Playground

It also chucks out the "even Orcus had to work his way up" theme of FC1- which states he began as a mane, spent time as a nalfeshnee (much later) and so on.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by bosssmiley View Post
    DiceFreaks: systematizing the fantastic without banalising it. That's quite a balancing act to pull off.
    Amen, dude, amen.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Always good to see stirrings from an old stomping ground. I'm really looking forward to the rest of this project.
    Spoiler
    Show
    My Characters
    According to this test, I am a LN Half-Orc Cleric, Lvl.2.
    "And in the layer of the Deep Ones, we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever." - H.P. Lovecraft