New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1

Default The Black Knight build for an Player <3.5>

How would you make the Black Knight from Fire Emblem in D&D? I realise he needs to be human and have at least a few levels in both knight and warblade. Anything else?

Edit: One of the other PCs died in the Kraken attack of Stormhaven, and needs to build a new character. He wants to play The Black Knight, but has no computer to "optimize"
    Last edited by LichPrinceAlim; 2010-03-08 at 01:46 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Default Re: The Black Knight build for an Player <3.5>

Hmm...

About the whole human thing....
    Radiant Dawn Spoilers!
    Spoiler
    Show
    TBK/Zelgius has some laguz blood in him and therefore ages much more slowly and has enhanced abilities, so human would not be the best choice. Someone with more knowledge of the various races could suggest a better choice.

Alignment-wise, I could TN, LN, or LE, maybe NE.
    Last edited by Smiling Knight; 2010-03-08 at 02:04 PM.
    What I learned from Bioshock:
    1. Unregulated freemarket capitalism leads, inevitably, to zombies. Genetically modified, super-zombies. This is an incontrovertible law of nature and should be taken into account whenever economic planning is done at a national level. The next time you meet a hardcore capitalist, just ask them if they are pro-zombie and see what they have to say for them self.

3. - Top - End - #3

Quote Originally Posted by Smiling Knight View Post
    Hmm...

About the whole human thing....
    Radiant Dawn Spoilers!
    Spoiler
    Show
    TBK/Zelgius has some laguz blood in him and therefore ages much more slowly and has enhanced abilities, so human would not be the best choice. Someone with more knowledge of the various races could suggest a better choice.

Alignment-wise, I could TN, LN, or LE, maybe NE.
    He's doing LN

would an Aasamir techically be what he could be?

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Not really, his ancestry is not divine, though the stat bonuses would fit a charismatic leader like him.

You may want to make up your own template and fluff it (depending on your campaign setting) as "were-blooded," give it increased strength and con, but have him be discriminated against if the citizens discover the knight's true nationality.
    What I learned from Bioshock:
    1. Unregulated freemarket capitalism leads, inevitably, to zombies. Genetically modified, super-zombies. This is an incontrovertible law of nature and should be taken into account whenever economic planning is done at a national level. The next time you meet a hardcore capitalist, just ask them if they are pro-zombie and see what they have to say for them self.

5. - Top - End - #5

Quote Originally Posted by Smiling Knight View Post
    Not really, his ancestry is not divine, though the stat bonuses would fit a charismatic leader like him.

You may want to make up your own template and fluff it (depending on your campaign setting) as "were-blooded," give it increased strength and con, but have him be discriminated against if the citizens discover the knight's true nationality.
    I'm not the DM for further clarification...

plus, he's just going to be "an extraordinary specimine of human/human subtype"

And I'd also like to note I've never played Fire Emblem, but he has, and beaten EVERY one (including unreleased Japanese ones)

6. - Top - End - #6
    Colossus in the Playground

You could make him a Shifter if you want the "were-blooded" feel. Given Black Knight is pretty much a non-magical badass, and the Eclipse is very similar to simple "Diamond Nightmare Blade", I'd say a straight Warblade would be quite appropriate.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Make it extremely easy to cut off his limbs and make it so he thinks he's invincible?

(Monty Python reference)

8. - Top - End - #8

Quote Originally Posted by Kyuubi View Post
    (Monty Python reference)
    That is one phrase that should rarely be needed. People (especially RPG gamers) tend to just know the Holy Grail. Flying Circus and Meaning of Life may trip them up, and many don't know Life of Brian, but Holy Grail? Everyone knows that.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Eldariel View Post
    You could make him a Shifter if you want the "were-blooded" feel. Given Black Knight is pretty much a non-magical badass, and the Eclipse is very similar to simple "Diamond Nightmare Blade", I'd say a straight Warblade would be quite appropriate.
    Definitely a Shifter Warblade.

However, there's one huge problem with this: The Black Knight owns. As in, he's badass enough to be one of the end bosses, the last one before the Dragon-King, the strongest NPC mage in the game, and a goddess. That level of awe-inspiring toughness doesn't really translate to 3.5 well unless your party's mages tend to be evokers and healbots.

10. - Top - End - #10

Quote Originally Posted by Mando Knight View Post
    Definitely a Shifter Warblade.

However, there's one huge problem with this: The Black Knight owns. As in, he's badass enough to be one of the end bosses, the last one before the Dragon-King, the strongest NPC mage in the game, and a goddess. That level of awe-inspiring toughness doesn't really translate to 3.5 well unless your party's mages tend to be evokers and healbots.
    I also thought a level dip or two in knight would give a couple decent abilities.

And the party literally has no healer. The closest thing is a Paladin, who functions as a self-healing tank. We also have an Incubus Bard (who plans on taking levels in assassin. yes, you read right. assassin), a Dragonborn "Myrmidon" (a barbarian who deals decent damage with a greataxe), an elven ranger (another semihealer, but he has a nack for "forgetting" to heal), a Half-Drow Half-Elf Spellthief (she is the DM's g/f), and me, who was a Human Necropolitan Dread Necromancer (death by kraken)