Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Let's Play Fallout Tactics! Tales of an Inebriated Ninja

Alright you mutated, scum-suckin', berry-pickin', hip-slappin' sacks of irradiated flesh, listen up! I am Paladin Vorpalbob. You are about to see what it is like to be a Brother of Steel, through the eyes of some of our own. Contained within this document are photos, log entries, video clips and other important pieces of information. PAY CAREFUL ATTENTION! Some of the information in this document could mean the difference between victory over your enemies and your bones bleaching in the wastes.

Now, lets begin! And if you have any difficulty understanding the document, DEAL WITH IT!

First, let's take a look at the Brother who we will follow as he changes the course of history.

As you can see, he started out a dirty Brahmin kissin' tribal, like yourselves. The same goes for his squadmates.

This one ain't bad lookin'.

And look at the hair on this one!

These three fur-wearin', butt-pickin', cow-worshipin' inbreds have been sent to this village to get new recruits in exchange for Brotherhood protection. Soon, you will be out doing the same thing. Do NOT underestimate the importance of these missions! Without new recruits, the Brotherhood cannot grow in influence and strength, and the wasteland will forever remain the broken, chaotic mess that it is.

For an in-depth description of this squad's first mission, we will look to the personal log entries of the squad's sharpshooter, Farsight.

Personal Logbook, Initiate Faright
    Day 1: God, am I sick of living in a mud hut. Ever since my father died, every single man in my village has been leering at me, thinking that just because I'm on my own now I'll tear off my clothes with the slightest incentive.
    I had to leave. A few nights ago, Leroy, the village tanner, staggered into my home, reeking of booze. He wouldn't take no for an answer, even when that answer came from my zip gun. The village elders have some rather draconian laws, even in the case of self-defence. I grabbed my gear and headed out the back way. I was about 100 yards away from the village when I heard the first screams. By the time they had composed themselves enough to organize a search party, armed with spears and the village rifle, I was miles away.

Day 2: Technically, today should be day one, as it was today I was accepted for Initiate training at the Brotherhood, and this book is to record my Brotherhood service. I put yesturday as day one bacause it was that night, as I watched from a far off hill as what had been my and my father's home went up in flames, that I decided the Brotherhood was my best option. I don't know why the people of my village seem to hate the Brotherhood so much. They're gruff, authoritarian, downright mean sometimes. But their purpose is to unite the wasteland and rebuild the society that existed before the Great War. How could that not be a good thing?

Day 3: Not much to report today. Met my new squad this morning and spent the rest of the day doing drills. Stitch, the medic, seems like a nice enough guy, though he tends to get really pessimistic, and even fatalistic at times. I guess that's what comes from spending your life putting people back together. The leader of our troup, a little guy named Kuzo, doesn't talk much, mostly because his mouth is usually filled with a bottle. Apparently, since he came on the base, the quartermaster's supply of booze has been steadily dwindling away. He moves like a cat even when he's wasted, so no one can prove it's him. We're getting our first mission tomorrow! The scribe who delivered the message told us to see General Barnacky first thing tomorrow morning for recruitment detail.
    Spoiler
    Show
    And there's the first post. More to come!
    Last edited by Vorpalbob; 2010-03-08 at 06:53 PM.
    I have a band!
    Spoiler
    Show

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Let's Play Fallout Tactics! Tales of an Inebriated Ninja

Looks good so far, I'll be sure to follow this.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Firbolg in the Playground

I actually am pondering a runthrough of this game. Finally have a machine that can run that Fallout Triloy I got, and I've played F2 already a couple years back after getting it in a thrift store. I love SRPGs and Fallout, seems like a good combo. Shame that it seems not to be turn-based from the tutorials.

4. - Top - End - #4

Quote Originally Posted by hustlertwo View Post
    I actually am pondering a runthrough of this game. Finally have a machine that can run that Fallout Triloy I got, and I've played F2 already a couple years back after getting it in a thrift store. I love SRPGs and Fallout, seems like a good combo. Shame that it seems not to be turn-based from the tutorials.
    Oh, it can be turn based. You just have to change something in the options panel. You can go for:

Squad Turn Based- You order everyone in your squad in the order you choose, switching between squad members at any time, then all AI characters act. (the best, IMO. allows for awesome tacticing)

Individual turn based- Each squad member and enemy has their own spot in the initiative. I personally don't like this one, because it can cause turns to take a really long time while the computer processes every move individually.

Continuous turn based- essentially real-time, but with action points. This is a good one to use for defences, when you can just set up your guys and have the enemy run to you and die, applying stim-pacs as needed.
    Last edited by Vorpalbob; 2010-03-08 at 11:28 PM.
    I have a band!
    Spoiler
    Show

5. - Top - End - #5

Squad turn-based is my preference because there's no way to tell who's going when with individual turn-based. CTB is great for vehicles and opening doors.
    I am trying out LPing. Check out my channel here: Triaxx2

6. - Top - End - #6

Sorry for the big delay between posts, my compy has been giving me some trouble. Couple that with troublesome children visiting over spring break, and finding time for violent video games gets a bit tricky.

I should be done by thursday, and then I'll be posting about once a week.

Thanks for your patience!
    I have a band!
    Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #7

Subscribing.

I've always enjoyed Fallout Tactics, despite the light story and the faults in continuity. But I guess I can't complain about that anymore since Fallout 3...

Anyway, will you be using Farsight to tell the entire story or do we get to see some glimpses of the other squad members' thoughts as well? I must say keeping Kuza's thoughts in the dark gives a nice touch though.

Suddenly has the urge to install Fallout Tactics...

Recently resurrected. Sorry for bailing on you guys.

"Never play leapfrog with a unicorn"
    Awesome OOTSatar by Crimmy, masterfully done.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by hustlertwo View Post
    Do you mean the Fallout Collection disk? Tactics doesn't work on that, and Black Isle doesn't want to do a thing to fix that.

This looks very promising, I'll be keeping an eye on it.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Awesome Iron Chef avatars by Neoseph7! Murkrow avatar of coolness by Introbulus!

9. - Top - End - #9

Sorry, I've got the Collection and it works just fine. Mine includes the latest patch and it really helps.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by banthesun View Post
    Do you mean the Fallout Collection disk? Tactics doesn't work on that, and Black Isle doesn't want to do a thing to fix that.

This looks very promising, I'll be keeping an eye on it.
    You can get Fallout Tactics from Gog.com (they updated it so it works on later systems) if can't get it another way.

11. - Top - End - #11

Quote Originally Posted by BooNL View Post
    Subscribing.

I've always enjoyed Fallout Tactics, despite the light story and the faults in continuity. But I guess I can't complain about that anymore since Fallout 3...

Anyway, will you be using Farsight to tell the entire story or do we get to see some glimpses of the other squad members' thoughts as well? I must say keeping Kuza's thoughts in the dark gives a nice touch though.

Suddenly has the urge to install Fallout Tactics...
    What I'll probably do is write from the perspective of a different party member for each mission. I am having a dilemma as to whether or not I will ever write from Kuzo's perspective. I like him being unpredictable. Also, as someone who doesn't drink, I don't know how a drunkard thinks.

I definitely encourage more people to play the game, as it has such a bad reputation (I doubt it gives a damn) but is actually a good game.
    Last edited by Vorpalbob; 2010-03-23 at 07:56 PM.
    I have a band!
    Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #12

Don't write him until the last mission. Should you make it that far. It'll be funnier.

13. - Top - End - #13

Oklahoma, where the air elementals carry brooms

Agreed. Leave his thought process as much a mystery to us as it is to his squad.

14. - Top - End - #14

I reinstalled shortly after I posted in this thread. Man, does this game bring back memories. It's a *really* good game, if you look at it like you're supposed to: a tactical shooter using the Fallout system.

Sure, there's better systems for tactical shooters. Sure, other systems are better than SPECIAL for squad based games. Sure, the game's got a lot (and I mean a LOT) of bugs and small annoyances. But man, is the game fun!

At the third mission now, slowly sneaking my way in and blasting people's faces off with AK-74s and shotguns.

As to the write-up: yeah, save Kuzo. I think writing a story that isn't narrated from the protagonist's perspective is a cool idea.

Recently resurrected. Sorry for bailing on you guys.

"Never play leapfrog with a unicorn"
    Awesome OOTSatar by Crimmy, masterfully done.

15. - Top - End - #15

Continued from the personal logs of Initiate Farsight

Personal Log of Initiate Farsight
    Day 4: General Barnaky was a lot bigger than I thought. He did look imposing when I had seen him from a distance, striding around the base. I suppose the Power armour helped a bit, but there was no doubting he was a massive human being. We had been warned by our Paladin trainer not to get on the General's nerves. Here is a recording of his briefing: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8RubRpkcrU.
    Next, we were off to the quartermaster to get some basic weapons and armour. I was given a fine rifle, a Colt model from about 50 years before the war. I was also given a nice Beretta 92 as a sidearm, with a knife to complete the package. Stitch looked almost dismayed when he was given his shotgun. I suspect he had at one point had to pick buckshot out of a wound. Shotties are nasty. He also received a Beretta, as well as a First Aid kit and a Doctor's Bag. I hope he doesn't need to use them. He too received a knife. Kuzo looked a bit quizzical when he was handed an MP5, and he dumped it straight into his pack. Other than the Brass Knuckles he was given, and the handful of stim-paks we were each given, everything he carried was stolen. Brotherhood scrip, ring pulls, assorted food and drugs, he even made off with a few bottles of Rot Gut while me and Stitch were being outfitted. I don't know how people can put that stuff down their throats. We all double-checked our gear, which in Kuzo's case meant downing a swig of his Rot Gut, and headed for the door. A scout by the entrance said that our destination, the village of Brahmin Wood, was about a day's walk. Stitch suggested we stop a distance away from the village, rest through the night there, and begin our mission in the morning. What with the reports of Raiders having attacked the town, I was more than happy with the prospect of facing them after a full night's sleep.

Day 5, 8:30 am: I'm beginning to think that joining the Brotherhood wasn't such a good idea after all. Not that I'm thinking of leaving, what with the alternative being me as the object of desire of a village full of stinking old men. The first thing I noticed upon my arrival at Brahmin Wood, the village (if you could call it that) that had recently come under Raider attack, was the smell. Aparently the Raiders are not fans of cleaning up cow crap. Stitch says we should begin making our approach now. I just hope Kuzo can keep his head out of the bottle long enough to bash some Raiders. Wait, crap. Too late.

Day 5, 2:00 pm: Our first mission is over. Nobody died, and despite his consistent tipsiness, Kuzo surprised Stitch and me by snapping the necks of several Raiders. I have included a map of the village.

Just as we entered the village, a dark-skinned, tattooed tribal leaned out the door of a destroyed building and waved us inside. We followed him, and found him hiding with about five other former residents of Brahmin Wood. They were dirty and filthy, which is par for the course as far as I'm concerned, but otherwise unharmed. He turned out to be the Village's elder.

Spoiler
    Show

Stitch said we would get right on it, and ordered Kuzo and I to check our equipment again. That was when we noticed that Kuzo had dissapeared. Stitch and I realized simultaneously that, in his drunken idiocy, he had wandered off while the Tribal elder was talking. We charged outside, looking all over for our inebriated, itinerant squad member. When we saw him, he was covered in blood. As he nonchalantly wandered closer, taking pulls from yet another of his seemingly endless bottles of Rot Gut, I noticed that he appeared unharmed. As well, he was carrying a pistol that he most definitely did not bring from the base. Also... well, here it is.

These were to be the first of his many kills.

While we were looking for our befuddled batterer, we failed to spot a female Raider to the north. Beyond her, a Raider holding a large pistol ducked behind the sandbag wall. The female raider drew a strange looking weapon and Stitch, fearing an energy weapon, yelled for Kuzo and me to take cover. I dropped behind a pile of rocks, and looked for Kuzo. He was nowhere in sight. I was getting the feeling that this was becoming a habit. The pistol held by the female raider turned out to be a zip gun, as I found out when I searched her body. She was carrying several stim-paks as well. Me and Stitch were just beinning our stealthy approach towards the sandbags to the north...

Kuzo made his appearance. As disgusting as his drinking habits are, I must admit his tactics are effective.

Stitch tried the door that led deeper into the village. It was locked. Kuzo abruptly headed towards the small hut. Stitch and I had completely forgotten about the hut, and maybe Kuzo had seen something inside. No sooner had he entered the hut than we heard a burst of gunfire from an SMG, and Stitch began muttering about painful, burning death. I began to wonder if our befuddled batterer had met an untimely end. I drew my Beretta and Stitch readied his shotgun, and we ran into the hut ready to blast anything that moved.

Kuzo walked past us just as we ran in. Stitch pointed to a large hole in Kuzo's armour, wailed something like, "Do you have any idea what destruction the 82nd element can bring to human flesh!?! You must let me remove that," and reached for his First Aid Kit. Kuzo obligingly sat down against the sandbags, chugging heartily at a bottle of beer that I hadn't noticed him carrying before. Perhaps he took it from the Raider he killed. Speaking of that Raider...

I found the raider inside the hut. He was lying on the dirt floor, covered in blood and bruises. I started past him to check the chest behind him for equipment, when I heard a wheeze and discovered he still lived. I crouched next to him, shook him and demanded information. I didn't want to kill this man, especially not in his situation. He moved, and his eyes opened. His eyes scanned my body, then locked onto the Brotherhood of Steel insignia on my pauldron. His eyes narrowed, and he reached for his Uzi. I, or more accurately my knife, would have none of that.

I appropriated the SMG from him, then went outside. Kuzo was tossing the beer bottle aside, and reaching for another. Stitch was packing away his medical supplies and loading his shotgun. Stitch looked up at me. "We still have no way to open that door. It looks like we need a key." I didn't catch the last bit, because Kuzo had stood up and was striding towards the door, a small metal key in his hand. I rushed after him, and grabbed his arm before he could slot in the key and throw the door wide. He gave me a confused look, but seemed to get the idea when Stitch couched to one side of the door, shotgun at the ready. I checked my new Uzi, and did the same. We all exchanged looks, then I gave Kuzo the thumbs-up.
    I have a band!
    Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #16

Greetings. I have unfortunate news.

As much as I like having a life, sometimes it can really get in the way. Due to unforseen life, I will be unable to post this week. However, I will do an extra-long post next week. Thanks for reading my LP, and see you next Thursday!
    I have a band!
    Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #17

Whoa! Someone OTHER THAN ME likes Fallout: Tactics! Cool!

I will be checking this religiously.
    "Simon Ten Broek loves to draw attention;
    Simon Ten Broek spent years in bleak detention;
    Simon Ten Broek, with crimes too vile to mention;
    Simon Ten Broek won't live to see his pension."

10:07 PM [Matthias] And the Kohr-Ah are all "GIT THEM DUKE BOYS!"

18. - Top - End - #18

It's pretty sad that it's such an enjoyable revelation, because the game is that awesome.

19. - Top - End - #19

Continued from the logs of Initiate Farsight
    Kuzo opened the door and stepped through. Stitch and I cringed, expecting a barrage of bullets to send the plastered pugilist right back through. No such welcome was given, and after a few moments we followed Kuzo through the door.

What we entered was a covered area, with shelves and stacks of supplies against one wall, and a chest-high wall encircling the sides across and to the left of the door. A gate on the left opened out into a courtyard. The corner of a table and benches was visible aound the sandbag wall between the door and the rest of the structure. I heard two voices over a sandbag wall in front of us, both of which were gruff, male, and just barely slurring. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw Kuzo slip around the corner of the sandbags, low to the ground. It was too late to stop him. Suddenly, there was a surprised shout from over the sandbags. I worked the action on my new Uzi, and vaulted over the wall, just in time to-

See Kuzo deliver a powerful roundhouse kick to the back of a Raider skull. The man was smashed to the ground, but rolled away and sprung into a crouch, a pistol in his hand. The other Raider, who stood outside the wall across from us, aimed his shotgun and fired twice. The first shot blasted into Kuzo, but he looked alright. The second shot went way wide and sent his partner sprawling, blood flowing from multiple pellet wounds. The Raider's eyes went wide. He quickly jammed two more shells into the gun, fired wildly, then dropped behind the wall.

I fired a burst from my Uzi over the wall to keep his head down, then moved to a position behind the table. I motioned for Stitch to try and sneak out the gate to flank the raider. Keeping his own shotgun trained on where the Raider had stood, he moved to comply. Before he made it there, the Raider stood up over the wall again, aiming for another shot at Kuzo. Stitch fired immediately, and I snapped off a double-tap as well. By the time I had fired, my puny 9mm rounds were of no use. The Raider was already spinning from the 12 gauge blast that had caught his shoulder.

Kuzo found a bottle of booze next to the fire, promptly taking a swig. The Raider who stood within the walls was still bleeding profusely, though there was no chance he would be getting up. I pryed the Beretta out of his hand and slipped it into my pack. The quartermaster liked if you brought new weapons for him to trade. Kuzo abruptly stopped walking and pointed north. I stood up, bringing my Uzi back into my hands, but whatever he had seen was gone now. Never the less, when we did open the gate and step outside, we kept our weapons up and our stances low.

Except for Kuzo

Stitch had taken up a position behind some boxes to cover my and Kuzo's advance, when a large, brown blur came around the corner of the wall and charged. Stitch and I took aim, but we needn't have bothered.

When it was about eight feet away, the dog, as it turned out to be, launched itself in the air, grasping with yellow teeth for Kuzo's neck. Kuzo merely sidestepped it, and with his empty hand (he was still working on the booze he found) delivered a viscious chop to the dog's neck, severing it's spine, killing it instantly. The corpse hit the ground and slid to a rest next to me.

The dog was still alive, just barely. It lay on it's side, eyes looking straight up. Suddenly, it let out a whine. One of the whines it makes when it's happy, like when it's master comes home. I guess that dog went to the great kennel in the sky.

It wasn't until Stitch called to me that I realized I had been staring at this dying mutt for almost a minute. Stitch and Kuzo were about twenty yards ahead of me, and waving for me to join them. I scrambled to my feet and moved away from the dog's corpse, pausing once I was upright for a last look. I guess I just couldn't wrap my head around this. Killing Raiders I could justify. They are looting criminals, murderers who stand in the way of unity in the wasteland. But this animal, if it had been born somewhere else, raised in a different way, it could have been some widow's companion, or a child's playmate. It was innocent. I shook my head and trotted back to the others. I sincerely hope that I would not have to fight too many more animals.

Oh, come on!

Two dogs and a Raider, all sleeping. Stitch held us back, whispering. "If we each take one, we can kill them all without making any noise." Kuzo grinned, finished off his booze, and crept towards the sleeping Raider. I almost swore. I would have to kill one of these myself.

We're in position, lets go.

When Stitch waved, Kuzo delivered a brutal bash to the side of the sleeping Raider's head, a blow that must have fractured her skull. She was a tough girl, though, and staggered to her feet even after two more solid jabs. Stitch loomed over his target, slitting the throat with surgical precision. I looked down at my dog. It had heard the noises, and was beginning to stir. My hand wavered in the air. I willed it to move but it wouldn't. Finally my arm lurched forward, opening a shallow cut on the dog's ribcage. It yelped, and in a moment it was on it's feet and lunging at me. It's razor sharp teeth ground through my flimsy leather padding with ease, reaching the soft flesh beneath. I waved my knife wildly, scoring a few insignificant hits, but the dog kept coming. It was all over me.

After a few moments, I couldn't lift my arm to strike. The dog stood over me, blood glistening on it's fangs and coat. In my blood-loss-induced delerium, it looked like a demon, come for my soul. Then, it was a demon with a knife hilt growing from the side of it's head. It fell over, and I became aware that someone was pulling me, and someone else was yelling. I felt a small jab in my arm, and a few moments later my vision began to clear, and the voice too.

"What happened!? I gave the signal, and you didn't do anything! You probably would have died if I was a few feet further away!" He trailed off into mumbling about deadly infections and animals, and pulled out his first aid kit.

When he had finished, we decided that this was a good place to rest for a few moments. I curled up, the scene replaying in my head. Maybe I just wasn't cut out for the Brotherhood. One attack by a dog and I'm reduced to a quivering ball. I was surprised by a voice behind me. "Are you feeling better?" I turned around to see Kuzo. I gave a little smile and nodded. His mouth widened into a huge grin, and he offered a fresh (if you could call it that) bottle of Rot Gut. I waved it away, and he obligingly popped the cork and took a hearty swig.

Through the gate to the south of us was a small herd of the famous Brahmin cows the village took it's name from. The great beasts were at my head height at their shoulder, but surprisingly docile. Beyond them was a large storage tent, Where according to recon a number of villagers were held.

Our attempts at stealth were ruined by the shy beasts shuffling away from us as we moved through the field. We heard a commotion inside the tent, and knew we only had a moment to prepare. Kuzo, as usual, had dissapeared. Stitch and I advanced towards the southern door, guns readied. Time to kick some Raider ass.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Sorry for the long wait.
    I have a question for you, my loyal readers. Should I post small chunks 2-3 times a week, or larger chunks once a week?
    I have a band!
    Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #20

Large chunks are fine by me.

21. - Top - End - #21

I have some sad, sad news. I am being forced to end this LP. Due to recent illness, I have become inundated with work, and probably will continue to be overworked thus for much of the foreseeable future.

Fallout Tactics is a wonderful game, definitely not deserving of it's bad reputation (which it doesn't give a damn about). I strongly recommend that if you haven't already done so, go out and find it. I think it might be on Steam.

This has been fun while it lasted, but I simply cannot keep up with this and work and still keep my sanity. Thanks for reading!
    I have a band!
    Spoiler
    Show