New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Default So You Have a Problem with a Player / DM: A Potentially Helpful Guide (In Progress)

On a fairly regular basis this sub forum receives questions concerned with problematic players and problematic DMs.

New forum-goers or even forum veterans can find themselves in a situation where they want advice from others in dealing with the social concerns that can come up in gaming.

Maybe someone wants to create a helpful guide. Or perhaps someone could at least post links to related topics that have come up in the past? (I myself am not worthy of such a task).

I think this thread, if it grows, deserves a place among the stickied threads.

What say you, forum-goers?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: So You Have a Problem with a Player / DM: A Potentially Helpful Guide (In Progres

Fire. Set them on fire.

Guide is now complete.
    Last edited by Tyndmyr; 2010-03-10 at 01:08 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

Default Re: So You Have a Problem with a Player / DM: A Potentially Helpful Guide (In Progres

Roleplaying is a social activity.

A guide to effective social interaction when roleplaying, as the role of DM, would be a guide to:

-Basic social interaction, to include tools on identifying and correcting social problems.
    -Basic management with an emphasis on promoting goal-oriented behavior.

And I'm sure there's other pertinent stuff I'm missing.

That is to say, such a guide would be of inestimable value to way more than the RP community.

*contemplates writing a self-help book: Everything I Need To Know In Life, I Learned From D&D*
    Last edited by Indon; 2010-03-10 at 01:13 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Tyndmyr View Post
    Fire. Set them on fire.

Guide is now complete.
    SOMEONE HAS FINALLY TAKEN MY ADVICE.

Oh god I think I'm going to cry.
    "We speak for the dead. We are all they have when the wicked steal their voice. But we do not owe them our lives."

Roy Montgomery, NYPD Sgt., Castle

5. - Top - End - #5

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by AtwasAwamps View Post
    SOMEONE HAS FINALLY TAKEN MY ADVICE.

Oh god I think I'm going to cry.
    Catharsis!! (I.e. : the release of pent up emotion) Excellent!

6. - Top - End - #6

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Indon View Post
    Roleplaying is a social activity.

A guide to effective social interaction when roleplaying, as the role of DM, would be a guide to:

-Basic social interaction, to include tools on identifying and correcting social problems.
    -Basic management with an emphasis on promoting goal-oriented behavior.

And I'm sure there's other pertinent stuff I'm missing.

That is to say, such a guide would be of inestimable value to way more than the RP community.

*contemplates writing a self-help book: Everything I Need To Know In Life, I Learned From D&D*
    I agree with your perspective wholeheartedly. - In fact, I took a few minutes and searched through my local library's psychology journal article database to see if there have been any studies done on the usefulness of roleplaying games in therapy.

I couldn't find anything, but if you're familiar with psychodrama, you know that the technique mixes acting and imagination and personification to bring out emotion, among other things.
    Last edited by DabblerWizard; 2010-03-10 at 03:15 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

The most helpful thing I have found is for the DM and players to feel they can freely speak of things they are having problems with or disliking. My group has had not a large number but a significant number of problems -- including differences of roleplaying style, upset over houserules, blaming another player for failure in a quest, etc, etc -- but it's always helped when we could talk it over and figure out how to work so that everyone is happy.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Bugbear in the Playground

PirateCaptain

At the end of every session I ask my players, "Okay, what can I do better next time?"

This helps us deal with stuff like how other players are acting to each other, and what I can do, since I'm still more or less learning how to DM totally effectively.

I pride myself on not getting the same complaint twice in a row.